You make the Call

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
We know the lowest SB ratings would be for the Titans, Texans & Vikings, so it will be in one of those games. I’m gonna go with exactly what happened between the Chargers & Texans on opening weekend some 7-8 years ago. The 49ers will miss the game-winning FG, but the Vikings will get the “lineman bulled over the center” penalty (which I still have yet to figure out the point of this penalty) and then get another chance 5 yards closer & seal the victory.

Shouldn’t this have its own thread?
Yes. Excitement is back in the NFL! You've seen all the plays...you know the “rules”.....and you know what.....intent, force, direction, spin, 1 yard zone, hands to the face, within and without the grasp, false and true starts, and defenseless 250 pound receivers, and free downs vs. running time off the clock vs. putting time back on the clock....what all these things mean and you've how you came to love and admire them all.

You may the Call on the Divisional Games.

I'm not saying this contest is rigged..

But I'm not saying it isn't.

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
If chiefs 49ers and Balt hit Vegas could take a few hundred million hit going into Monday’s National champ game.

apparently 90% of the money is on those 4 teams. Vegas can’t spread the wealth around to cover their exposure.

ThunderHorse17

Lone Wolf
Apr 10, 2010
Missouri
If chiefs 49ers and Balt hit Vegas could take a few hundred million hit going into Monday’s National champ game.

apparently 90% of the money is on those 4 teams. Vegas can’t spread the wealth around to cover their exposure.
Who's the 4th team? Oh wait I remembered it's Baltimore.

Was it 49ers that the Chiefs played in their last superbowl? It could be a selling point and draw in some new pockets to fleece.

PFL!! That should be the acronym for nfl. The Pocket Fleecing League.

• Haha
Reactions: Gill Man

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Who's the 4th team? Oh wait I remembered it's Baltimore.

Was it 49ers that the Chiefs played in their last superbowl? It could be a selling point and draw in some new pockets to fleece.

PFL!! That should be the acronym for nfl. The Pocket Fleecing League.
Chiefs beat the Vikings in Super Bowl IV 23-7.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
So? What do people who predict the end of the world do when the day of reckoning comes & goes without incident?

Recalculate! You just gotta recalculate.
Haha. No. I passed my rigged torch to another poster. I called it wrong.

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Do not forget the non-call, no fine but no penalty factor. And of course the penalty, plus fine factor.
And consider whether intent or field conditions were factors. Personal bias and jealousy can also be involved.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/11/controversial-blindside-block-from-bills-texans-game-draws-a-fine/
Gotta preserve the integrity of the game at all costs. Just ask Al Riveron to explain the non call on Warner in the SEA/SF game. Alfonso Riveron. Who appointed this a hole???? He couldn't referee a bullfight in TJ. He'd probably flag the bull for unnecessary roughness after it takes another sword to the neck.

Reactions: Harryo the K

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
They oughta make Al Riveron honorary head official at the SB. That way he can throw the game however he pleases and give an explanation all the lemmings will buy into afterwards. Jeebus what a goof.

wrbanwal

Dec 27, 2005

handoverfist

BoltTalker
Sep 10, 2018

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Runyan, who made the call on not fining Clowney in his capacity as the league’s Vice President of Policy and Rules Administration, said on WIP that he doesn’t think Clowney was leading with his head into Wentz’s head.

“So when you go back and look at this play, it is really, really close,” Runyan said. “Carson’s elbow is still off the ground as Clowney’s arm . . . the first thing that contacts Wentz is Clowney’s arm to his hip and lower back area and then his shoulder rolls in and then his helmet goes in.”

I'm making the Call...

The NFL is a bullshit League. Owners deserve this but it's always the fans who get screwed.
Terrible rules. Idiot calls. All due to the lawyers at NFL Headquarters.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Runyan, who made the call on not fining Clowney in his capacity as the league’s Vice President of Policy and Rules Administration, said on WIP that he doesn’t think Clowney was leading with his head into Wentz’s head.

“So when you go back and look at this play, it is really, really close,” Runyan said. “Carson’s elbow is still off the ground as Clowney’s arm . . . the first thing that contacts Wentz is Clowney’s arm to his hip and lower back area and then his shoulder rolls in and then his helmet goes in.”

I'm making the Call...

The NFL is a bullshit League. Owners deserve this but it's always the fans who get screwed.
Terrible rules. Idiot calls. All due to the lawyers at NFL Headquarters.
Ban helmet to helmet as a penalty. These guys know what they’re getting into. Besides, they will still suffer from CTE and chronic injuries from the violent nature of the game. They made this trade off on their own.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Ban helmet to helmet as a penalty. These guys know what they’re getting into. Besides, they will still suffer from CTE and chronic injuries from the violent nature of the game. They made this trade off on their own.
I am good with keeping the penalty for helmet-to-helmet. Even if these guys are dumb enough to play a violent sport, I don't want more brain damage in this world. The NFL is less of a concern for me because there aren't many players. But, in college and high school, there are a fuckload of players. They have families that have to deal with the effects of CTE - which often leads to domestic violence. We could do with less of that.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I am good with keeping the penalty for helmet-to-helmet. Even if these guys are dumb enough to play a violent sport, I don't want more brain damage in this world. The NFL is less of a concern for me because there aren't many players. But, in college and high school, there are a fuckload of players. They have families that have to deal with the effects of CTE - which often leads to domestic violence. We could do with less of that.
My son played high school football for two years. Even with the safeguards and penalties in place I personally witnessed on a regular basis dangerous collisions that were not “helmet to helmet” but caused injuries, many times to the head. If folks want to make football safe, either change it to flag football or get rid of it altogether.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
My son played high school football for two years. Even with the safeguards and penalties in place I personally witnessed on a regular basis dangerous collisions that were not “helmet to helmet” but caused injuries, many times to the head. If folks want to make football safe, either change it to flag football or get rid of it altogether.
We can't make it completely safe, but we can cut down on hits to the head. I am sure your son is awesome though because you are.

Reactions: Fender57

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
We can't make it completely safe, but we can cut down on hits to the head. I am sure your son is awesome though because you are.
Thanks man. He was smart enough to quit when he realized the injury risk was too much, and I was glad he quit too (he now does track exclusively, no blows to the head running sprints).

Reactions: Quetzalcoatl

cocasts

BoltTalker
Jun 1, 2018
NFL players have been known to take excessive amounts of drugs and alcohol.

who’s to say that didn’t cause the brain trauma?

drugs and alcohol are neurotoxic. Too many moving parts as they say.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Ok, Charger Punk :D
THAT’S the guy’s name! I couldn’t remember his handle, only that he got miffed and ran off. He was ahead of his time, after Junior died a lot of us acknowledged his idea as maybe a step in the right direction. He had the right idea.