XFL Week 1 thread

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
What does the X stand for? I'm going to assume this is the American spelling.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
My inner Chainny wants to say: “This is where Mahomes should be starting.”

But I won't.

ThunderHorse17

Lone Wolf
Apr 10, 2010
Missouri
I watched a little yesterday, saw a few former AAF players like Kenneth Farrow and Silvers.

I like the in game sideline interviews and the coach calling in the plays.

Like the AAF it already looks more entertaining than nfl football.

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
Wherever these Valkyries drop me...
Made an effort to see (most of) both games, yesterday, largely out of curiosity...and hope.

Crowds (both: 17,000+) were modest...but in small venues that made them look, and sound :) better.

Uniforms? Mixed. L.A. logo is just sad. Seattle's dragon is cartoony but unique. Defenders have little ligtning bolts everywhere...because...?

Changes from NFL? New kickoff looks like a winner. :D Promise of significanlty shorter game, mostly unfulfilled. :whistling: Replay transparency...good.
Gimmicks? Reduced, but...sideline interviews overdone. Broadcasting coaches calling plays or in halftime locker room seems uncool.
But does HE HATE ME ? Not as much as he used to.

Production value? Mostly excellent. It felt like a few less camera angles, but overall sharp, a 9 out of 10. :)

Play? Well, this is the biggie!
Of course, it's pretty hard, when football fans have just watched two elite teams play a competitive Super Bowl just six days earlier,
to compare it to B-level players, playing together for the first time, with no real preseason tune-ups. That said, the play on the field
was definitely better than I expected. O-lines clearly hadn't jelled yet, but almost all other positions looked pretty good. Players played hard...
enthusiastically...like they were auditioning for a spot in the NFL. I've never been a fan of Vince McMahon, but if they can keep him away
from the football, this could turn into the B-level spring football obsessed fans have wanted since the USFL was taken from us...

Reactions: Quetzalcoatl

SDRay

#GoIrish #Aztecs #SDGulls #Raiders #THFC #RipCity
Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
Jun 20, 2005
Chula Vista, CA
www.afsportsforum.com
Okay, so which of these XFL teams most reminds you of the Chargers?
All these XFL teams would give the LA version of the Chargers a challenge. The NY Guardians, DC Defenders, and Houston Roughnecks all look well balanced early on. Cardale Jones actually looks like a QB.

At the end, CFL, XFL, AAF, College, it's all football to me and all are better alternatives to the Greedy NFL.

Reactions: ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17

Lone Wolf
Apr 10, 2010
Missouri
Just turned on Tampa Bay NY game. I liked the name vipers, but I'm wondering g what their home jerseys will look like cuz that green helmet... and NY uniforms look so generic and mechanical but not that bad.

NY up 17 to 3 now. The commentators said vipers lead in total yards but had turnovers that have kept then down. NY just had a nice red zone td block by the cb. Vipers suck.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Just got around to watching this league today. My thoughts:

XFL is way better than AAFL. Kinda wish we had a team here in SD.

The access to coaches and players in real time is pretty cool. But most of all, the transparency with the replay process is one million percent better than the NFL. I really like this league, just need better players.

Reactions: Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
All these XFL teams would give the LA version of the Chargers a challenge. The NY Guardians, DC Defenders, and Houston Roughnecks all look well balanced early on. Cardale Jones actually looks like a QB.

At the end, CFL, XFL, AAF, College, it's all football to me and all are better alternatives to the Greedy NFL.
How do the XFL teams compare to Top 20 college teams?