• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

XFL to SD?

They are all plantation owners. Some pigs have lipstick is all. At least that is the reptilian translation/understanding of your post, such as it were.
If the XFL has enough money, it ought to spend the majority of the budget on the biggest stars. Get Brady, Rodgers, et. al., and spend the rest of the money on AAF guys at AAF salaries. Then take advantage of streaming. For way less money than the NFL spends, the XFL would compete and even defeat the NFL when it comes to viewership and merchandise sales.

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
If the XFL adopts the same rules the AAF used it will get started on the right foot. That was huge alone. Get rid of the hype and commercials and just make it about football. Do that and they succeed. Let commercials and everything non-football dictate the flow of the game and they are no better than the NFL.

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
If the XFL has enough money, it ought to spend the majority of the budget on the biggest stars. Get Brady, Rodgers, et. al., and spend the rest of the money on AAF guys at AAF salaries. Then take advantage of streaming. For way less money than the NFL spends, the XFL would compete and even defeat the NFL when it comes to viewership and merchandise sales.
Vince has deep pockets but not even close to deep enough for what it takes to take on the NFL in that matter. He's spending pretty much what the AAF did to start up.

He needs 32 McMahons to take on the NFL.

Last edited:

Harryo the K

My gut reaction to McMahon is that he's human garbage, and his stink makes me want to go nowhere near him. He reeks of snake oil.

That said, I always keep an open mind: If that leopard changes his spots and produces legit, quality football for long enough
to somewhat rehabilitate his sleazy image, hey, I'm desperate enough for for good football, that I could come around...
Isray is a drunk, Rooneys had gambling issues, Kroenke is hated, late Texas owner McNair had a Gilly plantation attitude, Richardson had racist slanders, Bud Adams was a peach, Kraft is a sex prostitution John, Edward DiBartlo, cheated.........etc etc etc.

McMahon is no worse, no better. The fact folks hate him so, shows the WWE method of “cheap heat” works. The chatter of personal threats, the common 'slandering' of the local sports team of whatever City they are in that night, again all “cheap heat.” And it works. Goodell would love to have McMahon running the Dolts in LA.
Absolutely love it.

Last edited:
Vince has deep pockets but not even close to deep enough for what it takes to take on the NFL in that matter. He's spending pretty much what the AAF did to start up.

He needs 32 McMahons to take on the NFL.
Okay. Then do this. Shrink the rosters to about 20 Arena League rejects, widdle the coaching and admin staffs to 1 guy with an Internet connection, cut the League to about four teams, and get a couple star QBs. If the XFL can't pay Brady or Rodgers, go after the hyped college quarterbacks. Get that dude from Oklahoma. Get that dude from Clemson. Fix the rules so they each throw for 10 touchdowns per game.

Due to NFL rookie salary caps and the NCAA's crusade against paying players, couldn't the XFL compete as the League with the most known young QBs? The NFL has made bank by marketing the QB position over all others. It wasn't like anybody but hardcore fans gave a **** about the Patsies or the Colts before Brady v. Manning. Old football fans like us used to like to watch entire teams compete when the NFL was still second fiddle to baseball. Today - it is all about hyped QBs and making sure the owners get as fat of a profit as possible. That really doesn't sound like it would cost more to run than the WWF did.

Last edited:
Isray is a drunk, Rooneys had gambling issues, Kroenke is hated, late Texas owner McNair had a Gilly plantation attitude, Richardson had racist slanders, Bud Adams was a peach, Kraft is a sex prostitution John, Edward DiBartlo, cheated.........etc etc etc.

McMahon is no worse, no better. The fact folks hate him so, shows the WWE method of “cheap heat” works. The chatter of personal threats, the common 'slandering' of the local sports team of whatever City they are in that night, again all “cheap heat.” And it works. Goodell would love to have McMahon running the Dolts in LA.
Absolutely love it.
I never cared about any of those guys.

I don't expect good behavior from owners, so I was never let down...but more importantly,
I never followed Irsay's or Rooney's issues, much, because they didn't have much or anything to do with the product on the field.
Even a bigger than live screwball like Jerry Jones only controls on team out of 32.

The XFL would be different. This would be an entire league in the hands of a slimy snake-oil salesman.

The first time something looked really fishy, like a team losing a game it should've won, but that sets up a more profitable TV situation for the league,
everyone would be reminded that--unlike the NFL where fans occasionally make entirely unsubstantiated claims about the league's
head office preferring certain franchises--in the new league such manipulations would be 100 times easier: The teams aren't
independent units, fighting amongst each other for success: One office (one man?) behind the scenes is pulling the strings. :eek:

And it would be this ugly man:
Edited to reduce number of charlatans...

Last edited:

I don't expect good behavior from owners, so I was never let down...but more importantly,
I never followed Irsay's or Rooney's issues, much, because they didn't have much or anything to do with the product on the field.
Even a bigger than live screwball like Jerry Jones only controls on team out of 32.

The XFL would be different. This would be an entire league in the hands of a slimy snake-oil salesman.

The first time something looked really fishy, like a team losing a game it should've won, but that sets up a more profitable TV situation for the league,
everyone would be reminded that--unlike the NFL where fans occasionally make entirely unsubstantiated claims about the league's
head office preferring certain franchises--in the new league such manipulations would be 100 times easier: The teams aren't
independent units, fighting amongst each other for success: One office (one man?) behind the scenes is pulling the strings. :eek:

JFC Lance, you always gotta bring Trump into every forum here?

JFC Lance, you always gotta bring Trump into every forum here?
I merely googled "stupidest Vince McMahon moments" and hit "video."

ETA: So, and since there was never any desire to have Trump infect this thread...I've gone back and edited him out... :giggle:
(now the person yelling at and striking sleazy McMahon is Dwayne Johnson)

Last edited:

Harryo the K

Edited to reduce number of charlatans...

Us fans we reckon we've always like the Stone Cold attack the best.
Hitting Vince with that their bed pan, that was right down hiss-tarical.

Gill Man

Staff member
Hey, WTF, I was just alerted that I was awarded " NFL Commissioner" for 5500 posts. Eff that. I refuse. Let Goodell make an azz of himself. Start me over at 0 posts please. :p:D

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Hey, WTF, I was just alerted that I was awarded " NFL Commissioner" for 5500 posts. Eff that. I refuse. Let Goodell make an azz of himself. Start me over at 0 posts please. :p:D
Nope, and if you delete any of yours, I will duplicate others... MUHAHAHAHAHAHA!

McMahon knows how to entertain.

I think this league is sustainable as long as McMahon understands the first 2 years will be huge losses until the league gets traction.

McMahon knows how to entertain.

I think this league is sustainable as long as McMahon understands the first 2 years will be huge losses until the league gets traction.
I'm really having trouble taking this league seriously.
First, you have a known scumbag/con man at the head (at least the AAF looked legit, at first).

Second, this very same sleazeball already tried it by his dictates once, and it was a complete failure.

Maybe I'm letting my personal disgust for this snake oil salesman cloud my vision, but I just have no
faith in XFL II. I wouldn't invest a dime of my money in it.

Harryo the K

Do you think the LA XFL Not yer named team tries to sign ex Raiders....ex Rams....?

I bet they go local history or Raider connection. Plus, I'm going to wager they do better PR than El Chapo and his sons.

Gill Man

Staff member
Do you think the LA XFL Not yer named team tries to sign ex Raiders....ex Rams....?

I bet they go local history or Raider connection. Plus, I'm going to wager they do better PR than El Chapo and his sons.
hopefully they avoid the same fate of El Chapo lolz. Maybe they are planning on a better series of tunnels and hideouts.

AnteaterRaider

Carpe Diem et omni Mundio
Staff member
Super Moderator
Podcaster
I merely googled "stupidest Vince McMahon moments" and hit "video."

ETA: So, and since there was never any desire to have Trump infect this thread...I've gone back and edited him out... :giggle:
(now the person yelling at and striking sleazy McMahon is Dwayne Johnson)
That's one way to look at it

The other is he took his empire which had been faltering behind WCW for a few years, created the greatest villain in the history of pro wrestling, did everything and anything he could to sell and make the character (and the hero in Stone Cold) the greatest in the history of pro wrestling. He looked stupid but what he did was nothing but exquisite and I doubt there's one NFL owner who'd go out there and bust their *** to rebuild their life's work.

SDRay

FU Spanos and Dundon
Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
The clown behind the FightForLA Campaign.

“This is a completely different product,” said Jeffrey Pollack, XFL president and former Chargers consultant. “We are focused on the fundamentals.”

From the article:

“Then there is the issue of pro football in Los Angeles, which barely works. The Rams were in the Super Bowl and they’re still struggling for fans. The Chargers have been here two years and people still think they play in San Diego.”
People will always think the San Diego Super Chargers play in San Diego. It is like how people still think the London Bridge is in London.