Will Sproles play this year?

  • Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

    afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

    Sign Up or

    Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Thumper

WHS
Aug 24, 2005
13,349
1,338
350
www.bolttalk.com
I don't know how bad the fracture to his fibia is, but I could see him coming back in 8 to 10 weeks. If it was a real bad break, he could be done for the year. So the big question is, does he go on IR or the PUP list?
 

PhilipRivers#1

BoltTalker
Mar 14, 2006
1,134
440
210
Thumper said:
I don't know how bad the fracture to his fibia is, but I could see him coming back in 8 to 10 weeks. If it was a real bad break, he could be done for the year. So the big question is, does he go on IR or the PUP list?
He could be back in two months which would put us in the middle of october.
 

MadMike

Well-Known Member
Mar 17, 2006
1,335
292
210
47
Fractured fibula that they already went in and strengthened by surgery? Yah he will be returning kicks in October. Still womder if he will go back to being gunshy. Scares me a little.
 

RipTheJacker

Well-Known Member
May 31, 2006
1,807
150
230
37
I dont know, thats an injury that can take some time to full heal. Look at Mike Vick, he had the same injury in the preseason a few years back and only made back to the team for the final 5 games.

I think if the marty and AJ think that sproles will miss more then 8 games, they will put him on IR and shut him down for the season and use that roster spot on a guy like Ray Perkins would would fill the same role as sproles.
 

Thumper

WHS
Aug 24, 2005
13,349
1,338
350
www.bolttalk.com
RipTheJacker said:
I dont know, thats an injury that can take some time to full heal. Look at Mike Vick, he had the same injury in the preseason a few years back and only made back to the team for the final 5 games.

I think if the marty and AJ think that sproles will miss more then 8 games, they will put him on IR and shut him down for the season and use that roster spot on a guy like Ray Perkins would would fill the same role as sproles.
Can't they just put him on the PUP list and use his spot until he is able to return? They'd have to drop someone to the practice squad or cut someone when he comes back, but he wouldn't be done for the season.
 

PhilipRivers#1

BoltTalker
Mar 14, 2006
1,134
440
210
Thumper said:
So that would give him 3 more weeks of preseason + the first 6 weeks of the season. 9 weeks may be enough time to heal. :icon_shrug:
Tough to say, it depends on the individual. As Rip said, Vick took about 12 weeks.

I'm not sure how long TO took, but I think it was shorter.
 

WonderSlug

Well-Known Member
Sep 1, 2005
8,654
807
350
49
www.boltsplanet.com
Thumper said:
So that would give him 3 more weeks of preseason + the first 6 weeks of the season. 9 weeks may be enough time to heal. :icon_shrug:
Could be.

That would give some RB, WR, or DB that wants to make the team a chance to prove himself on kick returns.
 

RipTheJacker

Well-Known Member
May 31, 2006
1,807
150
230
37
WonderSlug said:
WTF are you talking about?
I think hes saying that Sproles job is to run, and so the injury will probably effect him more then it would a QB for this season so he likely wont be 100% for a long time, and wouldnt be worth keeping him on the roster since he will probably only be active for 3-5 games this year
 

PhilipRivers#1

BoltTalker
Mar 14, 2006
1,134
440
210
turbo_turtle said:
http://www.chargers.com/news/headlines/sproles-out-indefinitely.htm

As per Chargers.com they said he would be out indefinitely. Link above.:no: :no: :no: :no: :no:
Thanks for the link TT.

I found this quote by Marty to be pretty interesting.

“He had surgery on it today,” Chargers Head Coach Marty Schottenheimer said. We’re going to sit down and see what’s in his best interest as well as ours.”

Huh ?????:icon_huh: I hope I'm not reading too much into that.
 

BFISA

Well-Known Member
Nov 16, 2005
41,136
2,142
350
thejdog said:
Oh that's right....now I remember. Who could not forget your man-love for Rip over at the UT...:icon_rofl:

PS - Sproles is the least of my concerns at this point...as is who is going to be returning punts for that matter.
word
 

boltssbbound

Well-Known Member
Jun 16, 2006
7,003
735
350
42
PhilipRivers#1 said:
Tough to say, it depends on the individual. As Rip said, Vick took about 12 weeks.

I'm not sure how long TO took, but I think it was shorter.
Yeah, T.O. was six weeks I think.

It really all depends on the type of fracture. A "broken leg" is a very non-specific diagnosis.
 

turbo_turtle

In Disguise
Aug 2, 2006
7,353
852
350
50
PhilipRivers#1 said:
Thanks for the link TT.

I found this quote by Marty to be pretty interesting.

“He had surgery on it today,” Chargers Head Coach Marty Schottenheimer said. We’re going to sit down and see what’s in his best interest as well as ours.”

Huh ?????:icon_huh: I hope I'm not reading too much into that.
Maybe Schottenheimer means that options are out there to see if Sproles can return sometime in the season or just sit him out for the rest of the season that is just what I make out of it.
 

MadMike

Well-Known Member
Mar 17, 2006
1,335
292
210
47
Well that sure sounds like "We aren't gonna announce that we are IR-ing him until we sit down and discuss who's taking his place". Make plans for Turner to KR, Parker to PR unless CLetis can make the team on special teams play. Looks like Pinnock will slide into the #3 RB spot as well.
 

Shamrock

Well-Known Member
Jun 18, 2006
11,141
1,167
350
55
Forget the PUP list.

Seymour among 10 Patriots placed on PUP list

Players can only be put on the PUP list before the first practice of training camp. If they are not removed from it before the final roster cutdown to 53 players on Sept. 2, they must stay on it for the first six weeks of the season. At any time during Weeks 7-10, they can be activated or work out with the team.
From GBN.com:
Players have to be placed on their team's PUP list before the first practice of training camp, but can be activated any time prior to the opening of the season. However, player is still on the list after 53-man rosters are finalized are not eligible to return to action until after the ninth week of the season.
 

BFISA

Well-Known Member
Nov 16, 2005
41,136
2,142
350
thejdog said:
PS - Sproles is the least of my concerns at this point...as is who is going to be returning punts for that matter.
Yup!!

Guess I shoulda more...summpm, geez I dunno!!:icon_eek: :icon_mrgreen:
 

RipTheJacker

Well-Known Member
May 31, 2006
1,807
150
230
37
Well, Sproles goes on IR

Sproles goes on IR; Jackson in hospital

Associated Press

SAN DIEGO - Chargers kick returner Darren Sproles will be out for the season with a broken left leg and the team revealed Tuesday that wide receiver Vincent Jackson has been hospitalized since Saturday night with a bruised chest.

Coach Marty Schottenheimer wouldn't expand on Jackson's condition. Jackson was injured in Saturday night's exhibition win over the Green Bay Packers.

"He is still in the hospital but everything seems to be going smoothly and he should be out of the hospital no later than tomorrow," Schottenheimer said. "He has some type of compression injury to his chest, but they expect him to be back and not be any long-term consequence.

Sproles was placed on injured reserve on Tuesday, a day after having surgery on his fractured fibula.

"That's not good news, but that's the way it goes," general manager A.J. Smith said.

"The time frame was too much, three to four months. When you look at it, it just doesn't make sense right now to bring him back. He should have a full recover."

Smith said the Chargers would try to replace Sproles from within first before seeking outside help.

Jackson, who caught three passes for 59 yards as a rookie last year, is being penciled in as the No. 3 receiver behind Keenan McCardell and Eric Parker. Neither McCardell (hamstring) nor Parker (thumb) practiced Tuesday, leaving the Chargers thin at wideout.

The Chargers also waived defensive back Raymond Walls.