Wide receiver Antonio Brown asks Steelers for trade

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25980659/wide-receiver-antonio-brown-asks-steelers-trade

Antonio Brown has officially requested a trade from the Pittsburgh Steelers, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Tuesday.
The news of Brown's trade request comes right after the Pro Bowl wide receiver tweeted a farewell to the Steelers and their fans, saying it is "time to move on and forward."

Antonio Brown

✔@AB84

https://twitter.com/AB84/status/1095375211749355520

Thank you SteelerNation for a big 9 years...time to move on and forward..........
#NewDemands

9:32 AM - Feb 12, 2019

4,523 people are talking about this

Twitter Ads info and privacy

Brown, 30, has been the subject of widespread trade speculation after he failed to show up to work the day before the season finale against the Cincinnati Bengals.
Team president Art Rooney II told reporters last month that something changed with Brown the last week of the season, and he wasn't sure why. He said he had reached out to Brown to no avail.

Agent Drew Rosenhaus told ESPN on Jan. 25 that he had spoken to the Steelers to express Brown's "position" but wouldn't divulge details.
A source close to Brown believes the wideout is tired of playing the scapegoat for the Steelers' problems and wants to show he can thrive in another offense.
Brown is due a $2.5 million roster bonus on March 17. If the Steelers trade him before that date, they would absorb $21.12 million in dead money on their salary cap. That amount would rise to $23.62 million if Brown is traded after March 17.
Brown, who turns 31 on July 10, is due salaries of $12.625 million in 2019, $11.3 million in 2020 and $12.5 million in 2021.
He has no guaranteed money left on his contract. Trading Brown after June 1 would allow the Steelers to spread the cap hit over multiple years, according to ESPN's Dan Graziano -- $9.54 million in 2019 and $14.08 million in 2020.
The Steelers have been prepared for trade scenarios and believe they can get a high draft pick for Brown. One high-ranking AFC executive believes the Steelers will ask for a first-round pick.

Brown has hinted he wants the San Francisco 49ers to make that move. He's used social media to photoshop himself in a 49ers jersey and FaceTimed with 49ers legend Jerry Rice, who last month told 95.7 the Game that Brown "badly" wants to be in San Francisco.
A recent ESPN article highlighted Brown's rocky relationship with the Steelers, who tolerated Brown's antics for years. Brown was routinely late for meetings and games and lived off campus during training camp, multiple teammates said. But largely that wasn't a problem because Brown worked so hard and produced on Sundays.
Then things changed in 2018. Brown became incensed on the sideline in Week 2 against Kansas City. That next week, he tweeted "trade me let's find out" to a former Steelers staffer who wrote that Brown should thank quarterback Ben Roethlisberger for his production. A source said Brown wasn't happy with Roethlisberger's public critiques of his route-running in a Week 12 loss to Denver. And the Week 17 issues confused many with the team.
From the Pro Bowl, several key Steelers publicly supported a Brown return. But now, the Steelers seem resigned to the fate. Asked for a reaction Tuesday, one player said he simply didn't have one anymore.
ESPN's Jeremy Fowler and Field Yates contributed to this report.

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
Is something rotten in the state of Pennsylvania?

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
If I’m Pittsburgh I’m not trading him to SF that’s for sure. Maybe Arizona or Oakland.
Yeah don't cave to the guy's wishes just trade him to a dumpster fire organization unless he has veto power in his contract.

Reactions: Fender57

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
Question is though... At least in the void I like to call my mind...

What is the problem in Pitt?

Is it just premadona players who don't like the 'feel' of things?
Is it the coach has lost the locker room?
Owners not kissing enough tucas?

Bell, then Brown...

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017

Bell, then Brown...
Looks to me like a combination of front office and Tomlin not controlling the situations and allowing this schit to occur. And acquiring prima donna players who are drama queens. Then you have a rapist in a QB who is a dirtbag and not exactly the greatest leader with enough IQ to make things work. But mostly this one would appear to be on AB who is like another T.O. Bell I'm not sure about. Too many players wanting the rock all to themselves. Tomlin needs to crack down on that and they need to jettison players earlier rather than let that stuff fester in the locker room where a cancer is created that permeates the organization. So bottom line , the character of the players to begin with, then the organization not able to hold players accountable. Contrast that with NE where they bring in guys like AB and they rehabilitate them pronto because of the culture where they don't stand for any BS.

I'm guessing this is a fallout also of the Rooney progeny not being able to carry the dad's jock. They are not capable like the dad. Sound familiar? BTW Keenan Allen will be the first cancer to show up on the LAC.....just a prediction. It's a time bomb waiting to happen. I think that organization could end up the same way. There are players who are gonna want the limelight. Thus far all looks calm. But just this offseason we've had KA and Gordon in a tiff off the field......and IIRC KA was getting heated during the year in a game he wasn't thrown the rock by PR. They smoothed it over afterwards. We'll see.Just sayin'. Frankly I loved KA when they got him, but grew to quickly dislike the guy's antics on the field and it started with him wearing the Raider cap after he got drafted.....lack of common sense.

Last edited:

handoverfist

BoltTalker
Sep 10, 2018

Bell, then Brown...
Problem in Pitt?....6 Championship!...I wouldn't exactly say they have problems but:

Steelers were the epitome of a dynastic team; that was before the Pat*s redefined the term. PIT has won 6 championships, but zilch in the last 10 years. In 2008 Mike Tomlin won it in his second year as a headcoach and was immediately anointed as the second coming of Chuck Knoll. Nevermind the fact that he inherited a team that Bill Cowher built and won a SB with in 2005...nevermind the fact that he benefited from keeping most of Cowher's coaching staff like Dick LeBeau... Tomlin's regular season and playoffs record since winning that SB is nothing to write home about. Pittsburgh Steelers are no longer where you go to win Championships. Don't get me wrong, they still have the winning culture from the "steel curtain" days, but in last decade under Tomlin, that hasn't translated in to Lombardi's. I've never thought too highly of Tomlin and I think he's one of the most overrated coaches in the league.

Bell and Brown's situations are different. While both are great at their respective positions, Bell is as a unique talent as I've ever seen in the league and IMO, irreplaceable; whereas Brown will easily be replaced by JuJu. In fact, a likely reason for Brown's hissy fit is JuJu catching 7 more passes for almost 200 more yards than him this year!
What Bell does behind the line of scrimmage, his patience in setting up his blocking, his vision, and his burst is uncanny and PIT truly dropped the ball by not locking him up longterm.

Much like the LAC, they have an aging QB with no heir apparent in sight; but while Rivers' throwing motion should allow him to be around for a few more years, Ben has taken a lot of beating over the years and is on his last leg. The fact that Roethlisberger still puts up yards, has more to do with the superior talent he's surrounded with than his own ability. He led the league in INT's with 16. I'm confident in saying that if you switched QB's in PIT and GB, one team would be a serious superbowl contender and the other would struggle to win 3 games. IMO, Big Ben and Eli should both make this their final season, which of course means that they're about to face off in SB L!V!!

Perhaps the biggest problem in PIT is 133 miles away in CLE!...IF it's true that the Browns have finally figured it out, that's 2 less wins the Steelers can count on each and every year. CLE just signed K. Hunt, they have a ton of cap room, and could be a just a couple pieces away from serious contender status. They were 7-8-1 last year, but finished 5-2 down the stretch with a week 15 win IN DEN in game that Broncos desperately needed to remain relevant. Baker Mayfield may not have the stature of Big Ben, but he's every bit as scrappy and elusive as Ben and the fact that he put up 1400 of his 3700 total yards in the month of Dec. tells me he's progressing rapidly in Freddie Kitchens' offense. Jarvis Landry is passable for an No.1 for now, but David Njoku (TE, 22) and Antonio Callaway (WR, 21) are emerging stars in the passing game. The backfield of Chubb and Hunt, along with Mayfield as a running threat is going to be interesting as well! On D they parted ways with Greg Williams, who'll always have a negative connotation attached to his name, and brought in Steve Wilks -who really didn't get a fair shake in ARZ. Wilks is going to have some interesting new toys in CLE...the defensive team is young and talented...Myles Garrett (DE, 23) is a game wrecker who gets a ton of attention, but Jamie Collins (LB, 29) and Damarious Randal (S, 26) are the elder statesmen of a defense that features future stars like Larry Ogunigobi (DT, 24), Denzel Ward (CB, 21), Jabrill Peppers (SS, 23).

So moving forward, PIT will be in a vulnerable position in a Division that's about to get a lot tougher, and a HOF QB who may be one hit away from retirement. They still have a lot going for them on both offense and defense, but the question becomes whether or not Mike Tomlin can find, bring in, and develope a replacement for Roethlisberger, and get the most out of players like James Conner, Jaylen Samuels, JuJu Smith-Schuster to keep the offense rolling. I personally have my doubts that he is capable of doing that, and apparently so do people like Dick LeBeau, Le'Veon Bell, and Antonio Brown.

Last edited:

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Problem in Pitt?....6 Championship!...I wouldn't exactly say they have problems but:

Steelers were the epitome of a dynastic team; that was before the Pat*s redefined the term. PIT has won 6 championships, but zilch in the last 10 years. In 2008 Mike Tomlin won it in his second year as a headcoach and was immediately anointed as the second coming of Chuck Knoll. Nevermind the fact that he inherited a team that Bill Cowher built and won a SB with in 2005...nevermind the fact that he benefited from keeping most of Cowher's coaching staff like Dick LeBeau... Tomlin's regular season and playoffs record since winning that SB is nothing to write home about. Pittsburgh Steelers are no longer where you go to win Championships. Don't get me wrong, they still have the winning culture from the "steel curtain" days, but in last decade under Tomlin, that hasn't translated in to Lombardi's. I've never thought too highly of Tomlin and I think he's one of the most overrated coaches in the league.

Bell and Brown's situations are different. While both are great at their respective positions, Bell is as a unique talent as I've ever seen in the league and IMO, irreplaceable; whereas Brown will easily be replaced by JuJu. In fact, a likely reason for Brown's hissy fit is JuJu catching 7 more passes for almost 200 more yards than him this year!
What Bell does behind the line of scrimmage, his patience in setting up his blocking, his vision, and his burst is uncanny and PIT truly dropped the ball by not locking him up longterm.

Much like the LAC, they have an aging QB with no heir apparent in sight; but while Rivers' throwing motion should allow him to be around for a few more years, Ben has taken a lot of beating over the years and is on his last leg. The fact that Roethlisberger still puts up yards, has more to do with the superior talent he's surrounded with than his own ability. He led the league in INT's with 16. I'm confident in saying that if you switched QB's in PIT and GB, one team would be a serious superbowl contender and the other would struggle to win 3 games. IMO, Big Ben and Eli should both make this their final season, which of course means that they're about to face off in SB L!V!!

Perhaps the biggest problem in PIT is 133 miles away in CLE!...IF it's true that the Browns have finally figured it out, that's 2 less wins the Steelers can count on each and every year. CLE just signed K. Hunt, they have a ton of cap room, and could be a just a couple pieces away from serious contender status. They were 7-8-1 last year, but finished 5-2 down the stretch with a week 15 win IN DEN in game that Broncos desperately needed to remain relevant. Baker Mayfield may not have the stature of Big Ben, but he's every bit as scrappy and elusive as Ben and the fact that he put up 1400 of his 3700 total yards in the month of Dec. tells me he's progressing rapidly in Freddie Kitchens' offense. Jarvis Landry is passable for an No.1 for now, but David Njoku (TE, 22) and Antonio Callaway (WR, 21) are emerging stars in the passing game. The backfield of Chubb and Hunt, along with Mayfield as a running threat is going to be interesting as well! On D they parted ways with Greg Williams, who'll always have a negative connotation attached to his name, and brought in Steve Wilks -who really didn't get a fair shake in ARZ. Wilks is going to have some interesting new toys in CLE...the defensive team is young and talented...Myles Garrett (DE, 23) is a game wrecker who gets a ton of attention, but Jamie Collins (LB, 29) and Damarious Randal (S, 26) are the elder statesmen of a defense that features future stars like Larry Ogunigobi (DT, 24), Denzel Ward (CB, 21), Jabrill Peppers (SS, 23).

So moving forward, PIT will be in a vulnerable position in a Division that's about to get a lot tougher, and a HOF QB who may be one hit away from retirement. They still have a lot going for them on both offense and defense, but the question becomes whether or not Mike Tomlin can find, bring in, and develope a replacement for Roethlisberger, and get the most out of players like James Conner, Jaylen Samuels, JuJu Smith-Schuster to keep the offense rolling. I personally have my doubts that he is capable of doing that, and apparently so do people like Dick LeBeau, Le'Veon Bell, and Antonio Brown.
Nicely done. I'd add that the Steelers dynasties under mainly Knoll then Cowher were under the elder Rooney right? So not only has the front office lost dynasty power but so has the HC position. It's like the Pats losing Kraft for someone in his family and Bellichek for some other mere mortal of a coach. Huge changes.

handoverfist

BoltTalker
Sep 10, 2018
Nicely done. I'd add that the Steelers dynasties under mainly Knoll then Cowher were under the elder Rooney right? So not only has the front office lost dynasty power but so has the HC position. It's like the Pats losing Kraft for someone in his family and Bellichek for some other mere mortal of a coach. Huge changes.
The Rooney family has owned the Steelers since their inception. Art Rooney (1933-1975), Dan Rooney (1975-2002), and Art Rooney II (2002-present)...So, each have won 2!

The Rooney family are prominent members of the owners club, and have parlayed their success on the field to political appointments on the international stage, but when it comes to running the Steelers, they are not meddlesome. Their recipe of hiring great coaches and staying with them has resulted remarkably in them having only 3 coaches in the last 50 years. I just don't know if Tomlin deserves the job security that comes with that position! I personally don't see Rooney II as a problem, but I'll check to see if he's installed his son as the VP of Football Operations!

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
The Rooney family has owned the Steelers since their inception. Art Rooney (1933-1975), Dan Rooney (1975-2002), and Art Rooney II (2002-present)...So, each have won 2!

The Rooney family are prominent members of the owners club, and have parlayed their success on the field to political appointments on the international stage, but when it comes to running the Steelers, they are not meddlesome. Their recipe of hiring great coaches and staying with them has resulted remarkably in them having only 3 coaches in the last 50 years. I just don't know if Tomlin deserves the job security that comes with that position! I personally don't see Rooney II as a problem, but I'll check to see if he's installed his son as the VP of Football Operations!
Ah good info on the Rooney family tree and history....did not realize they were all capable.....with the caveat you mention at the end of your post being hilarious! LMAO. I think it's probably more Tomlin than anything but nevertheless the organization should be under the microscope for letting those dyfunctional issues fester to get to this point. Reminds me of when deanie weenie sat on his weenie and allowed marty and aj to go to the lengths it did and to not be able to resolve it any better than he did. That is one of the darkest episodes in chugger history and that's saying something. Probably cost that franchise a ring.

Chaincrusher

BoltTalker
Apr 8, 2015

Bell, then Brown...
And Martavis Bryant too.