When Tony Gwynn was at the plate,

Gill Man

Inaugural SAN DIEGO Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I remember him talkin about how playng stickball gave him a lot of his ability. Geez he must have seen everything like it was at half speed. Incredible reaction time and instincts. We were privileged to have had mr gwynn on our hometeam for his entire career. If hed been on the yanks hed be a hero to them like dimaggio

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
I remember him talkin about how playng stickball gave him a lot of his ability. Geez he must have seen everything like it was at half speed. Incredible reaction time and instincts. We were privileged to have had mr gwynn on our hometeam for his entire career. If hed been on the yanks hed be a hero to them like dimaggio
I thought he had some freaky vision - better than 20/20. Maybe I made that up in my head? I know he was often viewing video and trying to improve. Just before his retirement, he had decided to become more of a power hitter and was hitting better than ever. He just couldn't run or stay healthy anymore. As a fielder, he was not naturally gifted, but, through hard work, intelligence, and dedication, he made himself ino a perennial gold glover.

Has anybody seen Keith Olbermann's video obituary of Tony Gwynn? It was the best because Tony was the best.

San Diego sports fans may have never had a champion (minus Ken Norton and the San Diego Soccers), but, in Tony and Junior, we had two of the best sportsmen ever. They loved their sports and our town and worked their asses off for us.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gill Man

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I thought he had some freaky vision - better than 20/20. Maybe I made that up in my head? I know he was often viewing video and trying to improve. Just before his retirement, he had decided to become more of a power hitter and was hitting better than ever. He just couldn't run or stay healthy anymore. As a fielder, he was not naturally gifted, but, through hard work, intelligence, and dedication, he made himself ino a perennial gold glover.

Has anybody seen Keith Olbermann's video obituary of Tony Gwynn? It was the best because Tony was the best.

San Diego sports fans may have never had a champion (minus Ken Norton and the San Diego Soccers), but, in Tony and Junior, we had two of the best sportsmen ever. They loved their sports and our town and worked their asses off for us.
Not sure if Tony had the excellent vision like Ted Williams but it wouldn’t surprise me if he did.

Williams, as a manager for the old Washington Senators, claimed her could see where the bat hit the ball in relation to the seam. This was way after he retired, and nobody believed him so he put shoe polish on his bat and as he hit each ball he announced where on the seam the bat hit and he was right every single time.

Like I said I don’t know if Tony had the ability to slow down the game like that but he probably did, just didn’t brag about it. He also had the intelligence to break down his mechanics and to fix whatever was broken. He was a true artist, technician, and genius at his craft. They say only the good die young.

I remember Olberman’s tribute and it might’ve been the best sports eulogy ever. I only say “might” because I haven’t heard them all; it certainly is the best I’ve ever heard.

Reactions: Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Not sure if Tony had the excellent vision like Ted Williams but it wouldn’t surprise me if he did.

Williams, as a manager for the old Washington Senators, claimed her could see where the bat hit the ball in relation to the seam. This was way after he retired, and nobody believed him so he put shoe polish on his bat and as he hit each ball he announced where on the seam the bat hit and he was right every single time.

Like I said I don’t know if Tony had the ability to slow down the game like that but he probably did, just didn’t brag about it. He also had the intelligence to break down his mechanics and to fix whatever was broken. He was a true artist, technician, and genius at his craft. They say only the good die young.

I remember Olberman’s tribute and it might’ve been the best sports eulogy ever. I only say “might” because I haven’t heard them all; it certainly is the best I’ve ever heard.

Reactions: Fender57

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Ryan M. Spaeder (@theaceofspaeder) Tweeted: #Padres Tony Gwynn career vs: Greg Maddux* 107 PA, .415 BA, 0 K Tom Glavine 105 PA, .303 BA, 2 K John Smoltz 75 PA, .444 BA, 1 K Curt Schilling 43 PA, .390 BA, 2 K Pedro Martinez 36 PA, .314 BA, 0 K Dennis Eckersley 19 PA, .474 BA, 1 K *faced more than any other pitcher

handoverfist

BoltTalker
Sep 10, 2018
Ask Maddux/Smoltz/Glavine about the 1992 Toronto Blue Jays!!

Of course that Blue Jay team had Padres prints all over it...Joe Carter and Robbie Alomar had just arrived from SD, but perhaps the best story from that year was Dave Winfield (another Padre from my days in SD) finally won a WS in his 20th season. I met Dave Winfield at a restaurant that year and chatted with him for a while...I got a chance to tell him in person that he was one of my favorite players of all time, and that I got to see his 1979 season (one of his best) from up close in SD. He spoke glowingly about his days with the Pads and playing with Ozzie. He only played that one year in Toronto, but he should've stayed cause the Jays won it again in the following year!

Winfield went to the Yankees after the 1980 season, and in 1982 the Padres had another generational Right fielder!
Tony Gwynn was PURE class!

Last edited:

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Ask Maddux/Smoltz/Glavine about the 1992 Toronto Blue Jays!!

Of course that Blue Jay team had Padres prints all over it...Joe Carter and Robbie Alomar had just arrived from SD, but perhaps the best story from that year was Dave Winfield (another Padre from my days in SD) finally won a WS in his 20th season. I met Dave Winfield at a restaurant that year and chatted with him for a while...I got a chance to tell him in person that he was one of my favorite players of all time, and that I got to see his 1979 season (one of his best) from up close in SD. He spoke glowingly about his days with the Pads and playing with Ozzie. He only played that one year in Toronto, but he should've stayed cause the Jays won it again in the following year!

Of course Winfield went to the Yankees after the 1980 season, and in 1982 the Padres had another generational Right fielder!
Tony Gwynn was PURE class!
I guess, for Kawhi and all those Padres, Toronto owes us about a trillion dollars. Pay up.

handoverfist

BoltTalker
Sep 10, 2018
I guess, for Kawhi and all those Padres, Toronto owes us about a trillion dollars. Pay up.
Still trying to get others to pay for shit down there, eh?!?

Not to make this political, but did you see that US pulled the Patriot Missile Defense System out of Saudi Arabia?...
Maybe you can get your Trill from MBS!

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Still trying to get others to pay for shit down there, eh?!?

Not to make this political, but did you see that US pulled the Patriot Missile Defense System out of Saudi Arabia?...
Maybe you can get your Trill from MBS!
A trillion dollars, or three major championships? Your choice, Toronto.

• Haha
Reactions: handoverfist

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
One guy Tony did not have success against was the Big Unit. I guess a 6’10” lefty throwing 100 and very effective pitching inside with nasty stuff will do it to you. This proves how great Randy Johnson truly was because Tony was the best of his era, if not all-time.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
One guy Tony did not have success against was the Big Unit. I guess a 6’10” lefty throwing 100 and very effective pitching inside with nasty stuff will do it to you. This proves how great Randy Johnson truly was because Tony was the best of his era, if not all-time.
Randy Johnson was 50% of the reason the state of Arizona has a championship. Are there any freaks of nature who want to get us our championship? Can the Aztecs basketball team find a 20-foot tall point guard who accidentally murders animals with bounce passes?