Vote for Greatest Player in Chargers History

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

RipTheJacker

May 31, 2006
LT!!!!!!

Im kinda pissed, my 2nd all time favorite chargers wasnt on the list (Rodney!!)

Also a little surprised that LT has only gotten 6% of the votes. I mean i know hes still young and has many years to go, but what he has done in 5 years is simply amazing and is on record pace to becoming on of the greatest of all time

BFISA

Nov 16, 2005
Gotta go with Fouts, but put this poll in 10 years down the road with LT's projected accomplishments, and I believe the resultss'll be different.:)

Shamrock

Jun 18, 2006
leisure said:
Man I never woulda thought :no:

side note....have any of you kiddies even seen Lance play?
In person, as a kid.

Still, at that time, he wasn't my "favorite" Chargers when I was little. Speedy Duncan was #1 in my book. I also liked Gary Garrison too, mostly because my G'parents knew him and Gary always took time to say "Hi" to me.

BFISA

Nov 16, 2005
Shamrock said:
That was my vote, too.
I prolly woulda went with that had I seen him play more. I was overseas quite a bit durin the Alworth years, and back then AFN and AFRTS sucked the big one.

In the fall of '70, we gotta 3 week old Chargers-Browns game...Hadl threw a long bombta Alworth for a TD. this game was broadcast on AFRTS, onna Sunday. For the next 3 Sundays we saw the same game!!

So I could literally count on hand the number of times I actually saw Alworth play. :icon_eek: :no: :icon_sad: :icon_shrug: :icon_huh:

WonderSlug

Sep 1, 2005
www.boltsplanet.com
leisure said:
Lance was great but he was not the greatest :no:
He's a 7 time Pro Bowler. Look at what he did for 7 of the years he was with us (seasons 2 - 8), and with the freer rules allowing DBs to "rape" the WR. Plus, there were fewer games in the season than the modern 16 games.

Just think what Alworth could have done with today's rules that make it easier for a WR, and an extra 2 games in the season.

Shamrock

Jun 18, 2006
Look at what Mix did. I think TWO holding calls in TWELVE years - and that was back when OL had to keep their arms inside their bodies.

First AFL player in the Hall of Fame.

Trumpet_Man

Feb 14, 2006
Shamrock said:
Look at what Mix did. I think TWO holding calls in TWELVE years - and that was back when OL had to keep their arms inside their bodies.

First AFL player in the Hall of Fame.
That was Lance Alworth.

Lance Alworth was the first AFL player inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. :yes:

Shamrock

Jun 18, 2006
Trumpet_Man said:
That was Lance Alworth.

Lance Alworth was the first AFL player inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. :yes:
My bad. Oh well, Mix is still a stud OT from his era, and worthy of being mentioned on that list.

Trumpet_Man

Feb 14, 2006
thejdog said:
LAnce was a little before my time so gotta go with Fouts.

He proved that it's poosible ro have mediorcre arm strength along with a beer gut and be a stud in this league.

Forrest Overin told me a story that I do not think ever got published anywhere or at least I did not hear or read about it..............It was during the Coryell era and Dan Fouts was shot with a gun in the fleshy part of the arm over some sort of dispute........I was pretty lit when he told me the story so I am sketchy on details. :icon_eek:

Trumpet_Man

Feb 14, 2006
thejdog said:
When I was a teenager pre-internet days living in Hemet-tucky without access to the SD paper, I used to subscribe to Chargers Football Weekly. I planned my whole week around getting that rag and come to find out FO was either the editor or one of the writers so Dude is the man.

Love to see him post over here..
Ditto.

That fish wrap was a lifeline for me as well.

I always had one in the bathroom to read while taking my ceremonial dumps.

MasterOfPuppets

Charger fan since 1979
Aug 8, 2006
Tijuana, Mexico
I'm not old enough to have seen Lance play so I went with Foust. although I think for most Winslow ranks higher on an all time TE list than Foust in a QB list