• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

    afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

    Sign Up or

    Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Vjack starting to piss me off

M

matilack

Guest
#1
What is wrong with Vincent Jackson? Is he not in the game?, is he not getting open? Is Rivers just not passing to him?

He is an extremely talented athlete, he was supposed to be a star in the making, and hes only got 5 CATCHES FOR 67 YARDS!

Mabey we dont have enough passes to go around, but I think a talent like that shouldn't go to waste. Rivers needs to look for him more often.
 

boltssbbound

Well-Known Member
#2
Step away from my boy. VJ has caught 2 TDs this season, and he has been a run blocking force. Our offense is 2nd in the league in scoring and 3rd in the league in yards, so it's not like VJ is holding this offense back. There are alot of talented players on this roster and it's going to take VJ some time to establish himself.
 

MasterOfPuppets

Charger fan since 1979
#3
I think it has more to do with not enough balls to go around, you have a run oriented offense, when they do pass its to LT, Gates, Parker and McCardell, VJ and Floyd are the 3rd and 4th recievers, Parker is playing great and McCardell is a veteran, I don't think VJ and Floyd will jump over them in the depth chart so they'll get 2 or 3 throws their way a game.

P.S. Boltssbbound, come defend your boy, again!
 

Boltdiehard

Well-Known Member
#4
Uh oh here we go......:icon_eek: :lol:

I did notice on sunday that he's in there quite a bit on running plays. I couldn't judge his blocks most of the time because the camera was focusing somewhere else or on the ball/play.
 

MasterOfPuppets

Charger fan since 1979
#5
boltssbbound said:
Step away from my boy. VJ has caught 2 TDs this season, and he has been a run blocking force. Our offense is 2nd in the league in scoring and 3rd in the league in yards, so it's not like VJ is holding this offense back. There are alot of talented players on this roster and it's going to take VJ some time to establish himself.
ups, you got in as I was posting :tup:
 

WonderSlug

Well-Known Member
#6
matilack said:
What is wrong with Vincent Jackson? Is he not in the game?, is he not getting open? Is Rivers just not passing to him?

He is an extremely talented athlete, he was supposed to be a star in the making, and hes only got 5 CATCHES FOR 67 YARDS!

Mabey we dont have enough passes to go around, but I think a talent like that shouldn't go to waste. Rivers needs to look for him more often.
Stop watching the ball and watch him on his blocks.

Watch the Rams game again and you'll see VJ making some awesome blocks, two of which sprung LT for long gainers.

We have so many weapons on offense, and VJ is the #3 WR and 5th receiving option right now.

It will be hard for VJ to get the ball thrown his way, unless it's designed to go to him, when Rivers' progression is Gates->Parker->McCardell->L.T.->VJ->Floyd.
 
#8
tboltzcali said:
We need WR's to get open. Maybe thats what the draft will give us next year.
Huh? :icon_huh: Seems to me there is not a problem in that area now.

Parker is second on the team in recv yards behind Gates. Avg 15.4/catch.
McCardell is 11.4/catch.

Just so you are not dissapointed, WR is not on the first page of the chargers draft for 2007.

Beef, it's what's for drafting.
 
M

matilack

Guest
#10
boltssbbound said:
Step away from my boy. VJ has caught 2 TDs this season, and he has been a run blocking force. Our offense is 2nd in the league in scoring and 3rd in the league in yards, so it's not like VJ is holding this offense back. There are alot of talented players on this roster and it's going to take VJ some time to establish himself.
2TD's in 5 catches? hmmm mabye we should throw to him more often?
 

Boltjolt

Well-Known Member
#11
boltssbbound said:
Step away from my boy. VJ has caught 2 TDs this season, and he has been a run blocking force. Our offense is 2nd in the league in scoring and 3rd in the league in yards, so it's not like VJ is holding this offense back. There are alot of talented players on this roster and it's going to take VJ some time to establish himself.
Malcolm Floyd has more catches
 
#12
I think VJ's just in that no-man's land of always being the 4th or 5th option when he's an option at all. Other guys are getting open so he's not even seeing the ball.
 

exodus

Well-Known Member
#15
BFISA said:
Rivers has missed him, as well.
Yeah. I mean, they've gone to him, but haven't connected all the time. They have put the ball in his direction. It's not like they're just ignoring him or whatever. Am I making sense.:icon_huh:

I could swear Jackson dropped one on him though.:unsure:
 

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
#16
What is wrong with you people?

We just won a big game, and then we have a buscha pizzin and moanin after.

No celebrating, just a bunch of angstafication.

I sont get it.
 
M

matilack

Guest
#18
BFISA said:
Rivers has missed him, as well.
If your refering in particular to the Ravens game, the replay showed Jackson was being deliberatly held by Samari Rolle. I saw it on NFL replay.

Rivers is fantastic, he just needs to hit that jump ball to Jackson a few more times. Id like to see him do it on a 40yd pass.
 

MasterOfPuppets

Charger fan since 1979
#22
LV Bolt Fan said:
If that's the case, who'll be the #1 WR ? :whistling:
that would leave Parker as the #1, some here think he's a #3 but Philip seems to like him and dude always comes up with a huge 3rd. down reception

hopefully VJ will become a #1 but this team is designed to run the ball and use Gates as the #1, the recievers come second
 

LV Bolt Fan

Well-Known Member
#23
MasterOfPuppets said:
that would leave Parker as the #1, some here think he's a #3 but Philip seems to like him and dude always comes up with a huge 3rd. down reception

hopefully VJ will become a #1 but this team is designed to run the ball and use Gates as the #1, the recievers come second

I like the honest answer. :tup:

IMO, Parker is at best a #2, like Keenan. I keep hoping that VJ can be healthy enough to be a #1, but I don't think he can. The Chargers need to get a true #1 that can stretch the field. :yes:
 
#24
LV Bolt Fan said:
I like the honest answer. :tup:

IMO, Parker is at best a #2, like Keenan. I keep hoping that VJ can be healthy enough to be a #1, but I don't think he can. The Chargers need to get a true #1 that can stretch the field. :yes:
What makes you think VJ won't be a true #1?

It's not like a lot of the great receivers came into the league and dominated in their first couple seasons. And VJ's not in the same position as a lot of receivers who are drafted high. Most of those guys start off as #2 receivers because their teams really, really need receivers. When those young receivers inevitably struggle, their teams live with it because they don't have a ton of other options. The Chargers aren't in that situation. VJ's a #3 receiver because right now the Chargers aren't desperate enough at receiver to put him in there and live with his inexperience.

If VJ was on a bad team he could very well be MUCH better statistically than he is now.

I'd also like to point out that it's a serious crap-shoot trying to draft a "true #1" receiver. Even the ones that do pan out usually don't put up true #1 numbers until their third year, and a lot of them don't pan out at all.

Last but not least...a LOT of the best receivers in the NFL right now weren't even drafted all that high. I say this in a (probably futile) attempt to quell the tide of members who will beg the Chargers front-office to spend a #1 pick on a receiver next year.
 

LV Bolt Fan

Well-Known Member
#25
Thunderstruck said:
What makes you think VJ won't be a true #1?

It's not like a lot of the great receivers came into the league and dominated in their first couple seasons. And VJ's not in the same position as a lot of receivers who are drafted high. Most of those guys start off as #2 receivers because their teams really, really need receivers. When those young receivers inevitably struggle, their teams live with it because they don't have a ton of other options. The Chargers aren't in that situation. VJ's a #3 receiver because right now the Chargers aren't desperate enough at receiver to put him in there and live with his inexperience.

If VJ was on a bad team he could very well be MUCH better statistically than he is now.

I'd also like to point out that it's a serious crap-shoot trying to draft a "true #1" receiver. Even the ones that do pan out usually don't put up true #1 numbers until their third year, and a lot of them don't pan out at all.

Last but not least...a LOT of the best receivers in the NFL right now weren't even drafted all that high. I say this in a (probably futile) attempt to quell the tide of members who will beg the Chargers front-office to spend a #1 pick on a receiver next year.

I'm just hoping that VJ can stay healthy enough to last a full season. I currently don't see a #1 that the Chargers can get in the draft. I'm not sure who's available as a FA.

I'm basing my #1 and VJ on his health alone. The whole draft is a "crap shoot".:icon_shrug:

Do you really think that VJ has the chance to be a #1? I don't.:fan:
 

Rule12b

Well-Known Member
#26
Thunderstruck said:
What makes you think VJ won't be a true #1?

It's not like a lot of the great receivers came into the league and dominated in their first couple seasons. And VJ's not in the same position as a lot of receivers who are drafted high. Most of those guys start off as #2 receivers because their teams really, really need receivers. When those young receivers inevitably struggle, their teams live with it because they don't have a ton of other options. The Chargers aren't in that situation. VJ's a #3 receiver because right now the Chargers aren't desperate enough at receiver to put him in there and live with his inexperience.

If VJ was on a bad team he could very well be MUCH better statistically than he is now.

I'd also like to point out that it's a serious crap-shoot trying to draft a "true #1" receiver. Even the ones that do pan out usually don't put up true #1 numbers until their third year, and a lot of them don't pan out at all.

Last but not least...a LOT of the best receivers in the NFL right now weren't even drafted all that high. I say this in a (probably futile) attempt to quell the tide of members who will beg the Chargers front-office to spend a #1 pick on a receiver next year.
Very well put.:tup:
 
#27
LV Bolt Fan said:
Do you really think that VJ has the chance to be a #1? I don't.:fan:
I think I am nowhere near having an opinion on that. It's way too early. I do agree that he needs to stay healthy before he'll be able to be anything more than a #3. But I also think he has enormous physical upside, went to a college where the competition was not even close to what he's facing now, and is in an offense where he's usually the fifth option in passing plays.

In other words, I'll withhold judgement for now.
 
#28
yo kids chill on jackson. if you question him, youre questionin the staff here too. dont you think that its still early in the season? but he still has a few td catches. i think its best to not bust out the offensive playbook until its really necessary..health wont be an issue.
 
#29
WonderSlug said:
Watch the Rams game again and you'll see VJ making some awesome blocks, two of which sprung LT for long gainers.

sorry, I just don't see him making 'awesome' blocks. On LT's big TD run, he did get in the way of a guy, but it's not like he's sacrificing his body to bowl people over.

In fact, I saw him just sort of trying to keep upright and his jersey clean.
 
#30
boltssbbound said:
Step away from my boy. VJ has caught 2 TDs this season, and he has been a run blocking force. Our offense is 2nd in the league in scoring and 3rd in the league in yards, so it's not like VJ is holding this offense back. There are alot of talented players on this roster and it's going to take VJ some time to establish himself.
Run blocking force? I wouldn't mind that if he was a TE but he is a WR. I would think a run blocking force would be in the pit clearing holes. Who is he blocking to be the great force?:icon_huh:

Last I saw, he was listed as a WR, use him as such! Don't get me wrong here, I love our WR's that get do get the ball but VJ is a big boy and I can't help but think if we can get him the ball 15-20 yards down field, he has a better chance of breaking tackles then KM or EP, just as Gates does on occassion. Maybe Marty is saving him for later in the year when teams see that we don't use him much, then Marty will break out the VJ card!!!:lol:
 

Top