Trade Deadline Rumors around MLB

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017

Well, looks like we might be parting with Yates and either Reyes or Renfroe or both. Those are rumors though. I'd say Yates is gone. Not sure on the other 2 but betting one of em is gone. Yikes. I think major mistake if Renfroe goes.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008

Well, looks like we might be parting with Yates and either Reyes or Renfroe or both. Those are rumors though. I'd say Yates is gone. Not sure on the other 2 but betting one of em is gone. Yikes. I think major mistake if Renfroe goes.
I don’t think anyone will be moved until next year. If anyone goes this year it will be Yates with the condition that they takes Myers. Probably why there has been no takers. I am guessing out of the two OF, they’d rather move Reyes to a contending AL team to turn him into the next David Ortiz.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I don’t think anyone will be moved until next year. If anyone goes this year it will be Yates with the condition that they takes Myers. Probably why there has been no takers. I am guessing out of the two OF, they’d rather move Reyes to a contending AL team to turn him into the next David Ortiz.
Agree Reyes over Renfroe and to the AL. And this guy thinks Yates gets traded, but I would make sure Myers is included and you are right that probably is the poison pill for any deal. Maybe when all is said and done no changes, we'll see. Interesting time. We are not going anywhere, we are on a downward trajectory, so management would be very tempted to make a move I'd think. The problem is I see all these guys as potential core players, with the exception of Yates if as the writer suggests closers are fickle. Now would be the time to get the most for him if that's the case, he's having his best year.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
From MLB.com, this portrays the Padres as looking for a veteran starting pitcher:

The Padres were connected to a number of high-profile pitchers last offseason, both on the trade market (Noah Syndergaard, Corey Kluber) and in free agency (Dallas Keuchel), and while their postseason prospects aren’t great – San Diego is five games out of an National League Wild Card spot, with seven clubs ahead of them in the race – it seems general manager A.J. Preller is still searching for rotation help.
“The Padres are trying to be aggressive,” a source said, noting that starting pitching appears to be their main desire, specifically somebody to lead their young staff.
There are a number of trade targets out there, including Madison Bumgarner, Marcus Stroman, Matthew Boyd, Zack Wheeler and Mike Minor, though a rival executive believes Preller will wait until the offseason to make a move for a starter rather than shelling out mid-summer prices.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
From MLB.com, this portrays the Padres as looking for a veteran starting pitcher:

The Padres were connected to a number of high-profile pitchers last offseason, both on the trade market (Noah Syndergaard, Corey Kluber) and in free agency (Dallas Keuchel), and while their postseason prospects aren’t great – San Diego is five games out of an National League Wild Card spot, with seven clubs ahead of them in the race – it seems general manager A.J. Preller is still searching for rotation help.
“The Padres are trying to be aggressive,” a source said, noting that starting pitching appears to be their main desire, specifically somebody to lead their young staff.
There are a number of trade targets out there, including Madison Bumgarner, Marcus Stroman, Matthew Boyd, Zack Wheeler and Mike Minor, though a rival executive believes Preller will wait until the offseason to make a move for a starter rather than shelling out mid-summer prices.
yeah a major need. But I think for next year rather than this and and agree with the last line....wait til the offseason.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
yeah a major need. But I think for next year rather than this and and agree with the last line....wait til the offseason.
Agreed. But all the trade rumors going around about dumping star players like Renfroe/Reyes/Yates is unsupported by this article, which suggests they’d trade prospects to get a vet arm for the rotation to grab a wild card.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Agreed. But all the trade rumors going around about dumping star players like Renfroe/Reyes/Yates is unsupported by this article, which suggests they’d trade prospects to get a vet arm for the rotation to grab a wild card.
I'd rather they not give up more prospects now than they need to in the offseason.....they aren't going anywhere as a wild card even IF they manage to luck into it.

Reactions: Fender57

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
This may not be popular but I would rather have my corner ofers hit 280 with 15 hrs then hit 245 with 30 dingers.

We don’t put enough balls in play.

I have no problem dumping Yates to get rid of Myers.

I also have no problem moving renfrie for a #1 prospect pitcher.

I would also move Reyes.

The starting pitching stinks. Just stinks.

Paddock seems legit. Lecheezie seems ok.

The rest suck.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
This may not be popular but I would rather have my corner ofers hit 280 with 15 hrs then hit 245 with 30 dingers.

I would also move Reyes.

The rest suck.
That sounds like going into rebuild mode again. You’d get rid of both Renfroe and Reyes but who are the good hitting corner OFs to replace them?

Paddack truly is the only untouchable starter.

I read on MLB.com the Padres price for Yates is high. So high that teams are backing off. The article also said the Padres are very happy just keeping him. I do wonder if that “high price” is Myers lol.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
That sounds like going into rebuild mode again. You’d get rid of both Renfroe and Reyes but who are the good hitting corner OFs to replace them?

Paddack truly is the only untouchable starter.

I read on MLB.com the Padres price for Yates is high. So high that teams are backing off. The article also said the Padres are very happy just keeping him. I do wonder if that “high price” is Myers lol.
I would BET the "high price" is Myers lolz.

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007

I would also move Reyes.

The rest suck.
I disagree on the starting pitching. The starting pitching isn't bad, especially since it's mainly made up of 1st and 2nd year players.

The last time I checked the team ERA was middle of the pack but that's including our terrible bullpen so the starters are holding up their own.

The problem with this team you hit the nail on the head though. We don't put enough balls in play. If they don't hit homeruns, they don't score. The offense wastes too many good pitching performances with no run support. Maybe they need to fire the hitting coach again.

The bright spot is that with dumping Maton/Wieck/Reyes/Wisler and adding Munoz and moving Strahm/Quantirll to the bullpen, the bullpen has gotten so much better. The whole staff just needs more experience.