Throwback look in NFL could be more common in 2021 with possible helmet rule change

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Concudan

CPiSS (Chargers Post Season Syndrome)
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006

Throwback jerseys could be getting an assist as early as 2021.

The NFL is considering changes to its one-helmet rule prohibiting teams from donning alternate designs above the chin strap.

"There will be no change for the 2020 season," league spokesman Brian McCarthy told ESPN. "There are ongoing discussions for a potential change for the 2021 season, but no decisions have been made."

Bruce Arians mentioned the idea this week. When asked about the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' famous Creamsicle uniforms on "The Dan Patrick Show," the coach said the league could tweak the rule and allow such jersey comebacks.

Tom Brady may not be returning to New England, but the retro Pat Patriot look might in 2021. Al Pereira/New York Jets/Getty Images
The NFL went to one helmet per team earlier this decade to maximize head safety.

Allowing multiple helmet designs gives teams a chance to tap into nostalgia, including the New England Patriots with the Pat Patriot look, the Tennessee Titans' Oilers throwback, the Philadelphia Eagles' yellow jerseys and variations of the Denver Bronco display.

Concudan

Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
NFL Throwbacks: The search for more money!

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
So the NFL’s policy designed to “protect the player” was complete bullshit? I’m shocked, I tell ya!

Concudan

Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
So the NFL’s policy designed to “protect the player” was complete bullshit? I’m shocked, I tell ya!
How do you come to that conclusion? The helmet part as I understood would allow for different throwback helmets, such as the old Buc creamsicle helms that they can't use under the current rules.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
How do you come to that conclusion? The helmet part as I understood would allow for different throwback helmets, such as the old Buc creamsicle helms that they can't use under the current rules.
Because they created this one helmet rule under the guise of “protecting the player”. The theory being if they used a single helmet they could curb CTE. There is no evidence of this (the NCAA has no such helmet rule), the whole rule was implemented to fight off lawsuits. Buncha money grubbers who don’t really care about player health, like I said, bullshit. What changed between then and now? Oh yeah, a shit ton of money to be made selling throwback shit like the Bucs creamsicle jerseys and hats, etc.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
and shorter players too.
I think if every team had a designated animal as a player that would be interesting. Do you chose a greyhound for RB? or maybe a camel for DT? maybe a gopher for goal line plays.
Only one team can have a goat. If you wish, your Animal player can be a Animal Coach.
KC has one. Patriots have another.

• Haha
Reactions: Gill Man

ThunderHorse17

Lone Wolf
Apr 10, 2010
Missouri
I think if every team had a designated animal as a player that would be interesting. Do you chose a greyhound for RB? or maybe a camel for DT? maybe a gopher for goal line plays.
Only one team can have a goat. If you wish, your Animal player can be a Animal Coach.
KC has one. Patriots have another.
Would that make the FUdeans a dodo bird?

Concudan

Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
Because they created this one helmet rule under the guise of “protecting the player”. The theory being if they used a single helmet they could curb CTE. There is no evidence of this (the NCAA has no such helmet rule), the whole rule was implemented to fight off lawsuits. Buncha money grubbers who don’t really care about player health, like I said, bullshit. What changed between then and now? Oh yeah, a shit ton of money to be made selling throwback shit like the Bucs creamsicle jerseys and hats, etc.
Can you show me where they are changing the rules about the make and allowed types of helmets?

THIS update only covers COLORS allowed. It is allowing a team to have 2 different colors of helmets. Color has NO impact on safety.

"Allowing multiple helmet designs gives teams a chance to tap into nostalgia, including the New England Patriots with the Pat Patriot look, the Tennessee Titans' Oilers throwback, the Philadelphia Eagles' yellow jerseys and variations of the Denver Bronco display."

So I am very confused why you are upset about safety as this does not even touch on safety. Unless a metallic colored helmet is safer than a creamsicle helmet...

Last edited:

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Can you show me where they are changing the rules about the make and allowed types of helmets?

THIS update only covers COLORS allowed. It is allowing a team to have 2 different colors of helmets. Color has NO impact on safety.

"Allowing multiple helmet designs gives teams a chance to tap into nostalgia, including the New England Patriots with the Pat Patriot look, the Tennessee Titans' Oilers throwback, the Philadelphia Eagles' yellow jerseys and variations of the Denver Bronco display."

So I am very confused why you are upset about safety as this does not even touch on safety. Unless a metallic colored helmet is safer than a creamsicle helmet...
I get that, but the rule was they could only have one helmet the whole year - having two helmets is currently illegal. In order to have a different colored helmet they’d need a second, which they outlawed because of the notion was it was safer for the player to use the same helmet all season. That’s why teams like the Pats, Bucs and the Titans couldn’t have throwback ensembles anymore, they couldn’t very well put Bucco Bruce on that pewter helmet. This rule did not affect teams like the Rams, who would simply put different stickers on the same helmets each player used.

handoverfist

BoltTalker
Sep 10, 2018

We're all mad as hell...

Savage Lizard

FORMER Charger fan at 7000'
Jul 12, 2007
Big Bear Lake, CA
www.savagelizard.com

Throwback jerseys could be getting an assist as early as 2021.

The NFL is considering changes to its one-helmet rule prohibiting teams from donning alternate designs above the chin strap.

"There will be no change for the 2020 season," league spokesman Brian McCarthy told ESPN. "There are ongoing discussions for a potential change for the 2021 season, but no decisions have been made."

Bruce Arians mentioned the idea this week. When asked about the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' famous Creamsicle uniforms on "The Dan Patrick Show," the coach said the league could tweak the rule and allow such jersey comebacks.

Tom Brady may not be returning to New England, but the retro Pat Patriot look might in 2021. Al Pereira/New York Jets/Getty Images
The NFL went to one helmet per team earlier this decade to maximize head safety.

Allowing multiple helmet designs gives teams a chance to tap into nostalgia, including the New England Patriots with the Pat Patriot look, the Tennessee Titans' Oilers throwback, the Philadelphia Eagles' yellow jerseys and variations of the Denver Bronco display.
Never understood this rule. If the structure of the helmets are within specs and properly maintained, who cares if they have more than one?

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Never understood this rule. If the structure of the helmets are within specs and properly maintained, who cares if they have more than one?
Yes, it was a bullshit rule specifically implemented by the nfl to show they “cared” about player safety. Implemented at a time when lawsuits like Junior Seau’s family filed. Now that these are basically settled, I guess it’s not a safety issue anymore.