The runner on second in extra innings rule - it sucks

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I like watching sports but it can be very time consuming. When a game goes to overtime or extra innings it starts to really take a toll, maybe interfering with other things that needs to be done. I'm all for speeding up the game, especially baseball since it's not as fast paced as most other sports. Things like a timer between pitches, or reducing the time when changing pitchers or speeding up extra innings are great IMO. Baseball has historically very resistant to change which I think has always been a big negative so I love the fact that they're finally doing some bold things.
Yeah that’s where I disagree. I lean towards being a purist. The game takes as long as it should take, I don’t necessarily buy into fitting it into everyone’s schedule. I get why though, it’s about viewership and ratings.

Gill Man

Inaugural SAN DIEGO Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
They continue with the order. Last man at bat from the previous inning goes to second base.
I'm not sure I'm at all on board with that. In fact it is BS. What they've done IMO by putting a man on 2nd is a 'sudden death" similar to college football or soccer etc. And in that case that is total BS to disadvantage one team if they happen to be at the bottom of the order and the other team is at the top of the order. BS IMO. I mean I LOVE it right now because we just kicked the Gnats ass into SF bay in the 10th. But to be fair, both teams oughta start out fairly equally in a sudden death situation. This would be akin to college football sudden death and one team has to put in backups LOLOLOL.

Reactions: Fender57

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I like watching sports but it can be very time consuming. When a game goes to overtime or extra innings it starts to really take a toll, maybe interfering with other things that needs to be done. I'm all for speeding up the game, especially baseball since it's not as fast paced as most other sports. Things like a timer between pitches, or reducing the time when changing pitchers or speeding up extra innings are great IMO. Baseball has historically very resistant to change which I think has always been a big negative so I love the fact that they're finally doing some bold things.
Gotta admit if it's later at night and they hit extra innings it can be almost painful to sit thru another 5-6 innings until a decision is rendered. Day game no big deal. Maybe it's 'cause I'm old LOL.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I'm not sure I'm at all on board with that. In fact it is BS. What they've done IMO by putting a man on 2nd is a 'sudden death" similar to college football or soccer etc. And in that case that is total BS to disadvantage one team if they happen to be at the bottom of the order and the other team is at the top of the order. BS IMO. I mean I LOVE it right now because we just kicked the Gnats ass into SF bay in the 10th. But to be fair, both teams oughta start out fairly equally in a sudden death situation. This would be akin to college football sudden death and one team has to put in backups LOLOLOL.
On top of everything you say, it is simply unnatural in a game that has rules that was fairly seamless in function. The perfect game story above about Harvey Haddix is a good example. If there is a no hitter or perfect going on it really screws up the game and it becomes an asterisk. Not natural at all. I know this is a very rare occurrence but still, in a natural progression of the process the no hitter is still intact. Putting a guy on second is marring the situation.

Reactions: Gill Man

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
On top of everything you say, it is simply unnatural in a game that has rules that was fairly seamless in function. The perfect game story above about Harvey Haddix is a good example. If there is a no hitter or perfect going on it really screws up the game and it becomes an asterisk. Not natural at all. I know this is a very rare occurrence but still, in a natural progression of the process the no hitter is still intact. Putting a guy on second is marring the situation.
yeah agree, for a purist this stuff is total crap and unworthy. What the hell, cancel culture LOL. Seriously, this is more of a generational thing. Us fans who lived thru a very purist form of football and baseball back in the day still appreciate the vast differences. The younger generation who never experienced it at all, do not know the difference. Plus everyone nowadays is in a big hurry, instant gratification so they can get back to whatever, social media, texting etc etc. To me football is the greatest change and very much for the worse. We saw a very slight glimpse of a more real version of the original American football when the Fleet were playing......time between plays was shortened so the game speeded up. But add to that all the other nonsense nowdays...substitutions, free agency, players all roided up, astroturf, indoor domed stadiums etc etc....it's an entirely different sport. It's now a BS game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fender57

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
Whether it's people, companies or whatever, adaption is needed to survive. Baseball's popularity is not increasing, it's declining. I think someone over there finally knocked some sense into the commissioner and owner's heads after decades of ignoring it.

They just released the average age for a baseball fan and it's 57. That's insane. I think there are very few business would be happy with that statistic. I'm in my 40's so MLB has already lost a good chunk of my age group. None of my friends care about baseball anymore. It's mainly NFL, MMA, and NBA. Younger generations don't have the attention span, and honestly everyone's attention span as a whole is not what it used to be due to technology. Even older Americans scoff at watching soccer because there's "not enough scoring" or it's "too boring". Good luck trying to get Gen-Z to sit through a four hour 14-inning baseball game that 2-2. My son likes baseball a little bit but he would never watch an entire game like that. That is virtually impossible to happen. He has no problem watching a Twitch stream for a couple of hours though.

MLB has to make changes to start appealing to younger viewers to convert them into fans otherwise they're going to be in trouble if that average age keeps going up until that generation is no longer around.

You guys might hate it but that's just the reality of it.

Reactions: Lance19