The Last Men Standing

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
That is how the Aztecs have played all season. Flynn fires from deep. It is what got us this far. It wasn't a choke.

Okay. This is my second attempt to ditch this conversation. Go Aztecs.
If that was the play they called, to immediately try to drain a three and leave all that time on the clock then I agree, it wasn’t a choke, it was piss poor play calling. I guess we’ll never know but it looked to me he got anxious and rushed it. There was plenty of time left and it was tied. If that was the case it was a choke.

If it costs them the #1 seed then that is a choke too.

handoverfist

BoltTalker
Sep 10, 2018
Choke. Sorry Q. No way SDSU should’ve lost today if they’re legit. I watched the Kansas-Texas A&M game and the Louisville - Virginia team and those teams looked like they would smoke this Aztec team.
Sad but true!
I don't know if any of you use KENPOM to make your brackets but I find their data useful....

....I've watched enough March Madness to realize that anything can happen, and there's no science to calling winners and losers...but IMHO, the Aztecsl' best shot at advancing far was to maintain their No.1 seed and be in a bracket with Dayton as No. 2....which I think that would've been the case before this loss. I say this because, Dayton is the ONLY other team in "serious" contention with as LOW a Strength of Schedule number as SDSU.

Last edited:

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Sad but true!
I don't know if any of you use KENPOM to make your brackets but I find their data useful....

....I've watched enough March Madness to realize that anything can happen, and there's no science to calling winners and losers...but IMHO, the Aztecsl' best shot at advancing far was to maintain their No.1 seed and be in a bracket with Dayton as No. 2....which I think that would've been the case before this loss. I say this because, Dayton is the ONLY other team in "serious" contention with as LOW a Strength of Schedule number as SDSU.
I have heard the opposite argument - that we'd be better off at Number 2 in the West than Number 1 in the East.
I am not a basketball expert, having only really become a fan since I stopped caring about the Chargers. So I have to rely on the experts and what they say.
In my head, I can't wrap my mind around us ever beating teams like Duke or Kansas. I am very happy with the year we had and am excited to see my team back in the NCAA tournament. I mean - my God - we were ranked 4 in the nation for weeks. When I went to SDSU, our basketball team was also on a Top 4 list - the list of teams most likely to be cut from their school's budget. The thought that some day we'd be perennially the best team in California or that we'd be the last undefeated team in the nation wasn't a thought at all.

Reactions: Gill Man

Gill Man

Inaugural SAN DIEGO Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I have heard the opposite argument - that we'd be better off at Number 2 in the West than Number 1 in the East.
I am not a basketball expert, having only really become a fan since I stopped caring about the Chargers. So I have to rely on the experts and what they say.
In my head, I can't wrap my mind around us ever beating teams like Duke or Kansas. I am very happy with the year we had and am excited to see my team back in the NCAA tournament. I mean - my God - we were ranked 4 in the nation for weeks. When I went to SDSU, our basketball team was also on a Top 4 list - the list of teams most likely to be cut from their school's budget. The thought that some day we'd be perennially the best team in California or that we'd be the last undefeated team in the nation wasn't a thought at all.
yeah, we got teased by that ranking w/o emphasizing strength of schedule and that they were playing lights out. Without the big man that one expert said they would likely not be in the mix for his final 8 but he put them there given there might be an outside possibility. They exceeded preseason expectations, put it that way. We'll see how they do. The less pressure the better IMO.

Reactions: Quetzalcoatl

wrbanwal

Dec 27, 2005
yeah, we got teased by that ranking w/o emphasizing strength of schedule and that they were playing lights out. Without the big man that one expert said they would likely not be in the mix for his final 8 but he put them there given there might be an outside possibility. They exceeded preseason expectations, put it that way. We'll see how they do. The less pressure the better IMO.

wtf is this bullshiit. I point out the Aztecs SOS and get chastised by the Aztec god.
Water Lizard gets a “like”

Oh the hypocrisy !!!!

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
wtf is this bullshiit. I point out the Aztecs SOS and get chastised by the Aztec god.

Oh the hypocrisy !!!!
You are heartless. My people already ripped out your circulatory system, tossed it into my mouth, and kicked your body down a pyramid. I will give your blood its pump back when you man up and stop whining about a meaningless game. Get ready to root this team to victory when it matters. Go Aztecs!

Last edited:

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017

Oh the hypocrisy !!!!
yeah ok you did.....but you don't count:p:laugh: Hopefully Q gets the last laugh.:tup:

Reactions: Fender57

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
You are heartless. My people already ripped out your circulatory system, tossed it into my mouth, and kicked your body down a pyramid. I will give your blood its pump back when you man up and stop whining about a meaningless game. Get ready to root this team to victory when it matters. Go Aztecs!
Obviously Dutcher needs you to go in there and give a motivational speech to those chokers. LOL

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Obviously Dutcher needs you to go in there and give a motivational speech to those chokers. LOL
To toughen up the doubters, I made Flynn's last-second half-court shot fly out of the basket. Yet, those of missing heart brag about a word they know not how to use. Their ways are foreign to me. They must be of that annoying Norseman god, Thor, whom I punished with bad hat fashion sense and a ringless football team. I will grill his carne and return these weakened Aztecs fans their testicles.

• Haha

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
To toughen up the doubters, I made Flynn's last-second half-court shot fly out of the basket. Yet, those of missing heart brag about a word they know not how to use. Their ways are foreign to me. They must be of that annoying Norseman god, Thor, whom I punished with bad hat fashion sense and a ringless football team. I will grill his carne and return these weakened Aztecs fans their testicles.
Did you make him miss the choked three pointer too?

• Haha

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
This thread is great for laughs and giggles.....it's rapidly gaining consideration for immortal stickification at this rate.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
So, as a new NBA fan, I am facing my first rooting dilemma.

1. I hate the Clippers. They ditched San Diego for L.A.

2. My hate is mitigated a bit because the asshole who moved the team no longer owns the team.

3. I still hate the Clippers. They are L.A. Fuck L.A.

4. The Clippers have Kawhi, who, according to the Aztecs, is a hell of a recruiting benefit for SDSU basketball.

5. So does my love for the Aztecs outweigh my hatred for L.A. sports teams that used to be San Diego sports teams?

6. Yea. I guess so. Go Clippers?

wrbanwal

Dec 27, 2005
So, as a new NBA fan, I am facing my first rooting dilemma.

1. I hate the Clippers. They ditched San Diego for L.A.

2. My hate is mitigated a bit because the asshole who moved the team no longer owns the team.

3. I still hate the Clippers. They are L.A. Fuck L.A.

4. The Clippers have Kawhi, who, according to the Aztecs, is a hell of a recruiting benefit for SDSU basketball.

5. So does my love for the Aztecs outweigh my hatred for L.A. sports teams that used to be San Diego sports teams?

6. Yea. I guess so. Go Clippers?
fuck the clippers and la

Kawhi will be remembered for his time with the Spurs. Hell I already forgot he played for Toronto

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
fuck the clippers and la

Kawhi will be remembered for his time with the Spurs. Hell I already forgot he played for Toronto
Memories of the Spurs are not the goal. The goal is recruiting strength for the Aztecs. More championships for Kawhi increases our chances at championships in the future.

Because I am a new NBA fan, my memories of Kawhi on the Raptors are a lot stronger than the ones with him and the Spurs. Besides, I think the coach got a lot of the credit for the Spurs success. In Toronto, it was all about Kawhi. In L.A.? Yea. I wish he hadn't gone there. L.A. sucks.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
I just heard that the NBA postponed the season until further notice... In other news, Deano didn't flush his toilets and he only washes his hands half of the time after using the bathroom...
Yea. I'm guessing our season is going to get shut down. The curse of San Diego sports continues.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Yea. I'm guessing our season is going to get shut down. The curse of San Diego sports continues.
they already decided no crowds for the tourney. I'm guessing cancellation is next. Eff it...the one year we have a great seed and some projected to be one of 8 teams to possibly win it all. I'm sure that changed after we lost to USU but hey, what an effing time for SD fans. Typical. Spanos or Gene Klein must be somehow involved.

Reactions: Quetzalcoatl

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
they already decided no crowds for the tourney. I'm guessing cancellation is next. Eff it...the one year we have a great seed and some projected to be one of 8 teams to possibly win it all. I'm sure that changed after we lost to USU but hey, what an effing time for SD fans. Typical. Spanos or Gene Klein must be somehow involved.
Odd priorities there, Gilly. Plus I don't think genetically mutated Amphibians can get the virus...
But if a mob wants to claim it actually started with them swamp swimmers, I'm willing to
dust off my pitchfork and torch.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Odd priorities there, Gilly. Plus I don't think genetically mutated Amphibians can get the virus...
But if a mob wants to claim it actually started with them swamp swimmers, I'm willing to
dust off my pitchfork and torch.
no I know I'd rather not have the tourney....just saying it's typical SD luck. And yeah I think I'd be able to attend ......that would be one more fan than the chugs get at their games.

Reactions: handoverfist