The Last Men Standing

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
All Aztecs and Aztecs fans early.
Aggies have a star 7 footer who looks about 10 feet tall. We are doing okay against him. We are also doing well against their point guard, who, stats wise, is the best non-Aztec in the conference. He generally lights up the scoreboard - just not against our man, Feagin.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
As soon as I said that, their point guard lit us up. Then some other guy made a last-second three. Half time. Score reflects the defensive prowess of both these teams. 29-21 for the good guys. It was nice not to suck for the first half. Hopefully we kick ass like we normally do in the 2nd half.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
They always seem to start slow. As long as they finish strong
We didn't start slow today. Slipping now. The Aggies point guard got hot and now one of their defensive-oriented players is shooting 3s.
The guy looking good for us in the second half is our Swiss-army knife, Arop. He is 6'6 and managed to stuff their 7 footer. Arop has been our best rebounder when on the court.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Merrill is killing it for the Aggies. I can see where all the hype came from. He's a scoring machine.
Flynn just has a clutch 3 to hopefully pull us out of this slump.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
What game are you watching? 53-49 and Sdsu is fading fast.
Nobody is choking. You called out "choke" with more than 10 minutes to go in a game. We are playing the preseason conference favorite who won this tournament last year. Win or lose, this isn't a choke. But, if it comes down to the final few seconds, my guess is we win. We usually do. What season are you watching?

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Nobody is choking. You called out "choke" with more than 10 minutes to go in a game. We are playing the preseason conference favorite who won this tournament last year. Win or lose, this isn't a choke. But, if it comes down to the final few seconds, my guess is we win. We usually do. What season are you watching?
I’m watching this game. SDSU should win this game, was up by 14 at one point. They lose, it’s a choke. Sorry. Again I wish (and hope) I’m wrong. But if they lose this it’s a choke, and a double choke if it costs them the one seed in the East.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Choke. Sorry Q. No way SDSU should’ve lost today if they’re legit. I watched the Kansas-Texas A&M game and the Louisville - Virginia team and those teams looked like they would smoke this Aztec team.

• Sad
Reactions: handoverfist

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Choke. Sorry Q. No way SDSU should’ve lost today if they’re legit. I watched the Kansas-Texas A&M game and the Louisville - Virginia team and those teams looked like they would smoke this Aztec team.
Those top teams probably would beat us. That doesn't mean we choked.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I expect Dayton to grab that 1 seed in the East. I’m hoping dropping to 2 will light a fire under them.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
That was for the mwc championship.
Yes. Yes they did.
We already won the Mountain West Championship. That was for the championship of the conference tournament. The Aggies were playing a do-or-die game. We weren't.
You guys are misusing the term - choke.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
We already won the Mountain West Championship. That was for the championship of the conference tournament. The Aggies were playing a do-or-die game. We weren't.
You guys are misusing the term - choke.
I’ll concede misusing the “choke” label if they retain the number 1 seed. Is that fair?

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
I’ll concede misusing the “choke” label if they retain the number 1 seed. Is that fair?
No. That still isn't how the term is applied.

To choke means to have too many nerves and to lose to a team one would have otherwise beaten. The Aztecs weren't nervous. We just ran into a good player who couldn't miss for a half no matter how well we guarded him.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
No. That still isn't how the term is applied.

To choke means to have too many nerves and to lose to a team one would have otherwise beaten. The Aztecs weren't nervous. We just ran into a good player who couldn't miss for a half no matter how well we guarded him.
Doesn’t necessarily mean nerves. Could be loss of composure. Like firing that errant three pointer at the end instead of working a play to put two in and kill time. Instead they clanked, Utah State got the rebound and sank the game winner. That my friend, is a classic choke.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Doesn’t necessarily mean nerves. Could be loss of composure. Like firing that errant three pointer at the end instead of working a play to put two in and kill time. Instead they clanked, Utah State got the rebound and sank the game winner. That my friend, is a classic choke.
That is how the Aztecs have played all season. Flynn fires from deep. It is what got us this far. It wasn't a choke.

Okay. This is my second attempt to ditch this conversation. Go Aztecs.