The Last Men Standing

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
so is Gonzaga ahead of us based on strength of schedule? I guess I'm ignorant of how the system works for brackets. If we are the only undefeated team I'm just guessing Gonzaga is ahead of us in bracket and seeding due to strength of schedule/conference. Would be much better if we didn't travel to the east coast.
Yes. Gonzaga has beat better teams than we have beaten and has a tougher schedule ahead than we do. I am also guessing Gonzaga has an advantage over us due to being a very successful team in recent years.

Reactions: Gill Man

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
BTW I'm keeping this stickified even IF by some weird chance we lose a game. It's not coming down until we are either out of the tournament or don't win the Mountain West. It's the big story in SD now. Eff all the other stuff, including any NFL news or baseball crap that thus far is just that for the Pads in the offseason.
Yes. Even if we lose, we still would be the last of the unbeatens, a.k.a. The Last Men Standing.

The last unbeaten team to win the NCAA Tourney was the Hoosiers back in the 70s.

Reactions: Gill Man

Gill Man

Inaugural SAN DIEGO Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Yes. Even if we lose, we still would be the last of the unbeatens.

The last unbeaten team to win the NCAA Tourney was the Hoosiers back in the 70s.
They should get Bobby Knight to give us some pep talks and maybe yell a lot too LOL

Reactions: Quetzalcoatl

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
We are getting pub now pretty bigime:

This guy picks one of eight teams to win it all. But our odds are long amongst those , see article. Much depends of Manseh can return to play for the tourney having missed the regular season with respiratory issues. Dutcher seems to think he can play by then.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
And saw a bracket prediction and breakdown from a guy named Katz that has us in the Midwest bracket and if we win the first 2 we end up playing in Sacramento. In that one we would play the likes of Creighton and USC in the first couple of rounds.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
From above article:
The Aztecs are likely the most mysterious team this season to the average fan, because of both their mid-major status and the fact that they play on the West Coast. Everyone knows they’re undefeated and could very well enter the NCAA tournament that way, but could they really win it all? The odds are stacked against them—no team outside the top seven conferences (Power 5, Big East, AAC) has won the national title since UNLV in 1990—but analytically they have a compelling profile, one that’s too good to leave out. SDSU is No. 4 on KenPom and the only team in the country currently in the top 10 on both offense (No. 9) and defense (No. 9). It can shoot (four starters are at least 37% from three), it takes care of the ball, it defends the interior and it’s experienced, with three key transfers—Malachi Flynn, Yanni Wetzell and KJ Feagin—joining key returners Matt Mitchell and Jordan Schakel. The Aztecs’ title hopes may hinge on the return of 6'10" center Nathan Mensah, their best interior defender who has missed the entire conference slate with a respiratory issue. Head coach Brian Dutcher has indicated that Mensah, a starter for big nonconference wins over Iowa, Creighton and BYU, could return for the tournament. With a No. 1 seed in reach, Dutcher’s first career tourney win looks inevitable, but getting five more will be much tougher.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Escondido, Ramona, San DEEYAAAAAGOOOOH!!!!!!!!! Where the fuck are you????? EYYYYYE want to hear from you regarding the Aztecs and NCAAB, REAAAAAACTTTTTTT!!!!!! Jeeeeeebus are you stupid? You could call ME stupid, but you'd be wrong!!!!!