The Last Men Standing

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Yes they can.
There is no dominant team this year in the ncaa.
Well there is one team nobody has been able to beat. Weren't we up like 21-0 in New Mexico's Pit the other day? The UNM fans, who rarely see their team lose at home, have a tradition that they don't sit down until their Lobos score a basket; they were all standing for a long-ass time. Domination?

Reactions: Gill Man

Gill Man

Inaugural SAN DIEGO Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Well there is one team nobody has been able to beat. Weren't we up like 21-0 in New Mexico's Pit the other day? The UNM fans, who rarely see their team lose at home, have a tradition that they don't sit down until their Lobos score a basket; they were all standing for a long-ass time. Domination?
That's funny.....so how long were they actually standing? That is priceless......they should have just walked out and never sat down. Lobos eh? New Kevin Costner film "Stands with Wolves".

Last edited:
Reactions: Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
That's funny.....so how long were they actually standing? That is priceless......they should have just walked out and never sat down. Lobos eh? New Kevin Costner film "Standing with Wolves".
I don't know the exact count. I will see if there of some way of knowing.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
That's funny.....so how long were they actually standing? That is priceless......they should have just walked out and never sat down. Lobos eh? New Kevin Costner film "Standing with Wolves".
We led 17-0, not 21-0.. There was 15:16 left in the half when the Lobos scored for the first time. So those were 4 minutes, 44 seconds of game-time standing. I don't know how long that was in real time.

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
Wherever these Valkyries drop me...
Every year, before the season starts, I petition the Mountain West Conference front office in Colorado Springs, CO to allow the Aztecs to get points for getting the ball through the hoop sideways,
as is their cultural history. The bureaucrats denied the petition again last September :mad:
but, hey...23-0 anyways, so...
Aztec basketball MesoAmerican rim.jpg

wrbanwal

Dec 27, 2005
Ok, I was going to let this slide but...... You all need to study up on the Hispanic cultures.

Mayans vs Aztecs. Completely different

Now get off my lawn!!!

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Ok, I was going to let this slide but...... You all need to study up on the Hispanic cultures.

Mayans vs Aztecs. Completely different

Now get off my lawn!!!
The game came before both those societies, but they both played it. I am sure they had different versions - kind of like American v. Canadian football.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Yes, but even given the multiple versions, still, neither had room for Johnny Manziel...
Some third-rate empire suckered in Johnny Mesoamerican Ball Game, then quickly disbanded and submitted to the HeHateMe Tribe. You may know him now as Johnny X.

Last edited:

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Harry, what was it like to watch those matches?
Well, as Lance said, you hoped your team won. Otherwise it might be a broken—and removed— heart. First, you had to get a good seat. One where the sun was only about 103 degrees and humidity was like 105%. Yes, we had humidity higher than 100 and no rain. We didn't complain because....the gods know best. If the hard ball made its way into the 'stands’ it could take out the missus and your offspring...no, you couldn't keep the ball....and there was a fine for saying the feathered serpent can f your nuts. The fine was removal and your life season ticket being revoked.
If the local Aztecs team won, it could mean more slaves for the emperor.
And yes, we still talk to opposing team fans, “ No sweat over here!”
Yeah, if your local Aztec team won, you made your way back to your hut before dark.
If you lost, you’d run harder.

Last edited:

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
SDSU 89- AF 74. Keep on rolling. Run the table boys. :tup:

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Falcons did keep it close a few times, but the Aztecs just forged ahead when it was getting dicey. Nice work, Aztecs!
Same thing happened with Utah State last game.....I think they do that a lot.....it's actually to me a good sign....when push comes to shove they turn it on and blow out the other team. It's the regular season. Once playoffs/tournament hit......they go all out all the time and might just be able to shock the world. How great would that be? All I was able to watch against Utah State was the play by play on Yahoo sports and it updates the stats as they go....you could see we were actually slightly trailing in rebounds, free throw% and 3point % with about 8 min left. Then it suddenly changed and we went ahead considerably in those categories,,,,,especially rebounds. If we control the boards when we need to we win.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Same thing happened with Utah State last game.....I think they do that a lot.....it's actually to me a good sign....when push comes to shove they turn it on and blow out the other team. It's the regular season. Once playoffs/tournament hit......they go all out all the time and might just be able to shock the world. How great would that be? All I was able to watch against Utah State was the play by play on Yahoo sports and it updates the stats as they go....you could see we were actually slightly trailing in rebounds, free throw% and 3point % with about 8 min left. Then it suddenly changed and we went ahead considerably in those categories,,,,,especially rebounds. If we control the boards when we need to we win.
I am not a basketball expert by any means, so take this for what it is worth.

We usually dominate on defense and are hit-or-miss on offense (This year, it has been mostly "hit.")

Last night, we were not dominant on defense, but Feagin and sometimes others were draining threes like Red Devil lye cuts through low-level grime.

I hope this defensive performance was a fluke completely connected to the lack of air in the Rockies. If it was, we are all good. If it wasn't, our undefeated status is in trouble.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
So, as far as the bracket goes, we want to go undefeated and hope Gonzaga loses a game.
As it stands now, we are the top seed in the eastern bracket, which means we play in New York. If Gonzaga loses and we go undefeated through the regular season and the Mountain West tournament, we would likely be the top seed in the west. The western bracket will play in L.A. Games in L.A. would draw a lot more Aztecs fanatics than games in New York would. Games in L.A. would also be a lot less of a distraction to our college players than games in the Big Apple would be. I assume most of our players have been to L.A. before and would not spend so much time worrying about carousing the town for ladies and euphoria. New York would offer way more non-basketball related temptations. Plus, a trip to L.A. involves zero jet lag.

Last edited:

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I am not a basketball expert by any means, so take this for what it is worth.

We usually dominate on defense and are hit-or-miss on offense (This year, it has been mostly "hit.")

Last night, we were not dominant on defense, but Feagin and sometimes others were draining threes like Red Devil lye cuts through low-level grime.

I hope this defensive performance was a fluke completely connected to the lack of air in the Rockies. If it was, we are all good. If it wasn't, our undefeated status is in trouble.
yeah certainly a concern, but sometimes you take what you are given. but I'd prefer they be able to defend and control the boards especially with defensive rebounds whenever they want......so if they aren't consistently able to do that it could be an issue against the elite teams of the tournament.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
So, as far as the bracket goes, we want to go undefeated and hope Gonzaga loses a game.
As it stands now, we are the Top Seed in the eastern bracket, which means we play in New York. If Gonzaga loses and we go undefeated through the regular season and the Mountain West tournament, we would likely be the Top Seed in the West. The western bracket will play in L.A.
so is Gonzaga ahead of us based on strength of schedule? I guess I'm ignorant of how the system works for brackets. If we are the only undefeated team I'm just guessing Gonzaga is ahead of us in bracket and seeding due to strength of schedule/conference. Would be much better if we didn't travel to the east coast.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
BTW I'm keeping this stickified even IF by some weird chance we lose a game. It's not coming down until we are either out of the tournament or don't win the Mountain West. It's the big story in SD now. Eff all the other stuff, including any NFL news or baseball crap that thus far is just that for the Pads in the offseason.