• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

The Big Gamble: Patrick Mahomes

Mahomes was aided by the wind carrying his passes safely into the wide open receivers hands.
Mahomes, with all day to throw on most of the plays, missed a ton of wide open receivers against the Colts. He threw zero TD passes and posted a 6.8 YPA. While not completely crappy, his perfromance against a less than great Colts defense was nothing to write home about notwithstanding Collinsworth's annoying and constant riding of Mahomes' jock.

SDRay

Let's go Fleet! #GoBoats #AnchorDown
Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
Mahomes, with all day to throw on most of the plays, missed a ton of wide open receivers against the Colts. He threw zero TD passes and posted a 6.8 YPA. While not completely crappy, his perfromance against a less than great Colts defense was nothing to write home about notwithstanding Collinsworth's annoying and constant riding of Mahomes' jock.
Your QB has 1 TD and 4 INT's the last 3 games. Whats your excuse?

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Amazing how one guy in the entire country is not impressed with Mahomes. EVERY analyst today RAVED about the kid. He's a generational talent. NO ONE can do what he does, he learned much of that throwing accuracy when off balance and with velocity when he played shortstop, he could have been a major leaguer. But I guess that isn't enough for one biased chugger fan. SMH. Philip Rivers cannot carry Mahomes jockstrap.

Amazing how one guy in the entire country is not impressed with Mahomes. EVERY analyst today RAVED about the kid. He's a generational talent. NO ONE can do what he does, he learned much of that throwing accuracy when off balance and with velocity when he played shortstop, he could have been a major leaguer. But I guess that isn't enough for one biased chugger fan. SMH. Philip Rivers cannot carry Mahomes jockstrap.
How can you be so far off base? Collinsworth is so far in the bag for Mahomes that it is disgusting.

Against very little meaningful pressure and next to no coverage at all from the Colts, Mahomes went 27-41 for 278 yards and zero TDs with one fumble. All Collinswroth did all game long was to gush over that mediocre performance. It was stupid. I do not care what anyone says, 27-41 for 278 yards with zero TDs and one fumble is not a great performance and it does not become one because the QB happens to be named Mahomes. If someone says anything to the contrary that just makes that someone wrong.

Rivers is more accurate and reads defenses better than Mahomes. It would be criminal for Rivers to have Hill and Kelce and the rest of that offensive supporting cast plus this season's best play caller in Reid. Seriously, Rivers might have posted a 125+ QB rating this season with KC's weapons. The number of easy throws Mahomes has missed this season has been staggering.

Thanks for the post. Everyone is looking at the arm angle that Mahomes uses to make the pass.

But what everyone is missing in that video is that nobody is covering the wide open RB and that Mahomes is late to go to Kelce, who was open for a split second between two defenders. Granted, the pass to Kelce has to be thrown early, but in NFL terms, Kelce is open.

I will guarantee you that Rivers would have either anticipated the TE throw and thrown him open to the QB's left where there was just a bit more room, or he would have checked the pass down to the wide open RB in the flat for a one versus one chance for a big gain.

Thanks for the post. Everyone is looking at the arm angle that Mahomes uses to make the pass.

But what everyone is missing in that video is that nobody is covering the wide open RB and that Mahomes is late to go to Kelce, who was open for a split second between two defenders. Granted, the pass to Kelce has to be thrown early, but in NFL terms, Kelce is open.

I will guarantee you that Rivers would have either anticipated the TE throw and thrown him open to the QB's left where there was just a bit more room, or he would have checked the pass down to the wide open RB in the flat for a one versus one chance for a big gain.
No guarantee that RB in the flat would’ve made the first down.

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
How can you be so far off base? Collinsworth is so far in the bag for Mahomes that it is disgusting.

Against very little meaningful pressure and next to no coverage at all from the Colts, Mahomes went 27-41 for 278 yards and zero TDs with one fumble. All Collinswroth did all game long was to gush over that mediocre performance. It was stupid. I do not care what anyone says, 27-41 for 278 yards with zero TDs and one fumble is not a great performance and it does not become one because the QB happens to be named Mahomes. If someone says anything to the contrary that just makes that someone wrong.

Rivers is more accurate and reads defenses better than Mahomes. It would be criminal for Rivers to have Hill and Kelce and the rest of that offensive supporting cast plus this season's best play caller in Reid. Seriously, Rivers might have posted a 125+ QB rating this season with KC's weapons. The number of easy throws Mahomes has missed this season has been staggering.
you fail completely to understand that Mahomes extends plays WAAAAAAY better than Rivers ever could. He's a statue compared to Mahomes, plus Mahomes has an instinctual ability to make very difficult quick throws off balance with velocity and accuracy that Rivers just does not , nor has he ever had, in his arsenal. Remember Mahomes is in his first year basically. Rivers could NEVER accomplish what this kid has done when he was in his first year. So at 37 Mahomes will be that much better than Rivers is now, BY FAR. Like I said, generational talent like Fran Tarkenton. They are rare as hen's teeth. But keep homing for Rivers and anything chuggers,and in so doing diminishing others who have already been hailed by the national media, nfl experts, including Polian etc etc etc as being extremely gifted. Actually you are diminishing your own LAC fanbase with such biased commentary......but that's ok, the powder blue colored glasses are blinding you. It's not an uncommon trai for fanbases to do that, I in fact was homing for just about everything charger when they represented SD, and rooted against others who were rivals, although I at least gave them their due and respected their talent, eg. Brady, Elway, Stabler, and all the legions of players who owner the chuggers for so many years.