Technical Question; Laptops for a Law Student

  • Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

    afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

    Sign Up or

    Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

AnteaterRaider

Carpe Diem et omni Mundio
Staff member
Super Moderator
Podcaster
Jan 19, 2006
18,917
1,827
350
San Diego, CA
Don't know how many of you guys know much about laptops but my desktop looks like its on its last legs and since Thomas Jefferson requires new students to get laptops, i'm looking at the possibility of acquiring one. I've limited it down to two; the Inspiron E1705 and the Latitude D820. If I had to break down what i'd do with a computer it would be
40% Internet - research/blogging/mail/assorted....uh :icon_rofl:
25% Writing/Office
15% MP3/Itunes
10% Podcasting :yes:
10% gaming

Anyone know which would be the best or if not these two another good option? I'm leaning towards the Latitude with some modifications (namely a bigger harddrive, more memory and an improved graphics card).
 

Thumper

WHS
Aug 24, 2005
13,349
1,338
350
www.bolttalk.com
PostAnteaterCharger said:
Don't know how many of you guys know much about laptops but my desktop looks like its on its last legs and since Thomas Jefferson requires new students to get laptops, i'm looking at the possibility of acquiring one. I've limited it down to two; the Inspiron E1705 and the Latitude D820. If I had to break down what i'd do with a computer it would be
40% Internet - research/blogging/mail/assorted....uh :icon_rofl:
25% Writing/Office
15% MP3/Itunes
10% Podcasting :yes:
10% gaming

Anyone know which would be the best or if not these two another good option? I'm leaning towards the Latitude with some modifications (namely a bigger harddrive, more memory and an improved graphics card).
I'd lean toward the Latitude. It's Dell's business line and the Inspiron is the home computing line. I'm leaving for lunch, but I'll check those exact models when I get back.
 

AnteaterRaider

Carpe Diem et omni Mundio
Staff member
Super Moderator
Podcaster
Jan 19, 2006
18,917
1,827
350
San Diego, CA
I've been doing more research and talking with people at the SDUT (goboilers has been a good person for this) and its now the 1505 w/ a dual core that takes over for the 1705

Some basic things I want and won't compromise on

DVD/CD Dual Burner
100GB Harddrive
Dual Core Processor
Decent graphics card
Wireless access card
 

Thumper

WHS
Aug 24, 2005
13,349
1,338
350
www.bolttalk.com
PostAnteaterCharger said:
I've been doing more research and talking with people at the SDUT (goboilers has been a good person for this) and its now the 1505 w/ a dual core that takes over for the 1705

Some basic things I want and won't compromise on

DVD/CD Dual Burner
100GB Harddrive
Dual Core Processor
Decent graphics card
Wireless access card
I check this site for great deals on Dell Computer: http://www.gotapex.com/

How about this:
Get an Inspiron E1505 laptop with 15.4" WXGA TFT for $699.30! Just add a DVD burner during customization, then use coupon code: BTV1PGRRLM1VLS during checkout for a 30% discount off this $999+ Inspiron purchase, expiring 7/13/06 at 5:59AM Central or after 4000 redemptions. DELL INSPIRON E1505 CORE DUO NOTEBOOK DEAL

Using this coupon code I was able to go to the Dell site and get this for $814.10 with free shipping.

Inspiron E1505 Intel® Core™ Duo processor T2050 (2MB Cache/1.60GHz/533MHz FSB)
Operating System (Office software not included) Genuine Windows® XP Home
LCD Panel 15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA Display
Memory 512MB Shared Single Channel DDR2 SDRAM 533MHZ, 1 DIMM
Video Card 256MB ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X1400 HyperMemory™
Hard Drive 100GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
Network Card and Modem Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 6.0
Combo/DVD+RW Drives 8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
Sound Options Integrated Audio
Wireless Networking Cards Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 802.11a/g Mini Card (54Mbps)
Office Productivity Software (Pre-Installed) No productivity suite- Corel WordPerfect word processor only
Anti-Virus/Security Suite (Pre-installed) No Security Subscription
Primary Battery 53 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
Hardware Warranty 1Yr Ltd Warranty, 1Yr Mail-In Service, and 1Yr HW Warranty Support
Dial-Up Internet Access 6 Months America Online Internet Access Included
Miscellaneous Award Winning Service, Support
Future Operating Systems Windows Vista™ Capable
Operating System Re-Installation CD PC Restore recovery system by Symantec
Dell Digital Entertainment Starter Entertainment Pack - Basic digital Music, Photo and Game experience

TOTAL:$814.10
 

Thumper

WHS
Aug 24, 2005
13,349
1,338
350
www.bolttalk.com
Thumper said:
I check this site for great deals on Dell Computer: http://www.gotapex.com/

How about this:
Get an Inspiron E1505 laptop with 15.4" WXGA TFT for $699.30! Just add a DVD burner during customization, then use coupon code: BTV1PGRRLM1VLS during checkout for a 30% discount off this $999+ Inspiron purchase, expiring 7/13/06 at 5:59AM Central or after 4000 redemptions. DELL INSPIRON E1505 CORE DUO NOTEBOOK DEAL

Using this coupon code I was able to go to the Dell site and get this for $814.10 with free shipping.

Inspiron E1505 Intel® Core™ Duo processor T2050 (2MB Cache/1.60GHz/533MHz FSB)
Operating System (Office software not included) Genuine Windows® XP Home
LCD Panel 15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA Display
Memory 512MB Shared Single Channel DDR2 SDRAM 533MHZ, 1 DIMM
Video Card 256MB ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X1400 HyperMemory™
Hard Drive 100GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
Network Card and Modem Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 6.0
Combo/DVD+RW Drives 8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
Sound Options Integrated Audio
Wireless Networking Cards Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 802.11a/g Mini Card (54Mbps)
Office Productivity Software (Pre-Installed) No productivity suite- Corel WordPerfect word processor only
Anti-Virus/Security Suite (Pre-installed) No Security Subscription
Primary Battery 53 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
Hardware Warranty 1Yr Ltd Warranty, 1Yr Mail-In Service, and 1Yr HW Warranty Support
Dial-Up Internet Access 6 Months America Online Internet Access Included
Miscellaneous Award Winning Service, Support
Future Operating Systems Windows Vista™ Capable
Operating System Re-Installation CD PC Restore recovery system by Symantec
Dell Digital Entertainment Starter Entertainment Pack - Basic digital Music, Photo and Game experience

TOTAL:$814.10
PS It's not the $699 price because I upgraded the HDD, added a 256MB video card and added the DVD/CD-R Burner.
 

Thumper

WHS
Aug 24, 2005
13,349
1,338
350
www.bolttalk.com
Thumper said:
PS It's not the $699 price because I upgraded the HDD, added a 256MB video card and added the DVD/CD-R Burner.
PSS This deal ends tonight, but that website, http://www.gotapex.com has Dell deals like this all the time. Just keep your eyes on it when you're ready to buy, watch for a few days and when you see a great deal buy it right away because the deals don't always last a long time.

OR

You could click on one of the links for buy.com here and buy a laptop from them. We get a commission if you buy something through one of our links. :yes:

But seriously, that gotapex.com site is the bomb-digity!
 

AnteaterRaider

Carpe Diem et omni Mundio
Staff member
Super Moderator
Podcaster
Jan 19, 2006
18,917
1,827
350
San Diego, CA
thanks but it will be a while before i can put this whole thing together so while I am very appreciative for all your research. I have a friend who has close connections with dell so we'll see what happens frmo there. Also I'm debating about getting some things in the computer from the get-go and then going to like fry's and buying parts that i want to add.
 

Thumper

WHS
Aug 24, 2005
13,349
1,338
350
www.bolttalk.com
PostAnteaterCharger said:
thanks but it will be a while before i can put this whole thing together so while I am very appreciative for all your research. I have a friend who has close connections with dell so we'll see what happens frmo there. Also I'm debating about getting some things in the computer from the get-go and then going to like fry's and buying parts that i want to add.
No Problem. I check this site regularly so it was no biggy. I'm also looking for a new laptop for something I'm working on for this site.

BTW- I work for a big corporation that has negotiated deals with Dell and this site often beats the best deals I can get through my company. You have to keep an eye on it though because the deals change daily.

Be cafeful buying from Frys. Their return policies suck. Never write a check there, always pay cash or cc. They do have lost leaders that are great deals, but know what you're buying is worth, because they have some bad deals too. Also, never ever buy anything at Frys that has a label on it that it's previously opened merchandise. These are returns that they re-shrinkwrap. Sometimes they put reshrink wrapped merch back on the shelves without marking it. They'll denie this, but it's happened to me personally. You get home to open it up and parts are missing or it's just broke.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Carrie1219

AnteaterRaider

Carpe Diem et omni Mundio
Staff member
Super Moderator
Podcaster
Jan 19, 2006
18,917
1,827
350
San Diego, CA
Chispa said:
Ant - Did you ever say where you ended up deciding to go to school? I know you only applied to the best of the best.
:whistling: Thomas Jefferson School of Law in San Diego
definetely not the best of the best; applied there didn't get it :-p
 

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
56,094
3,721
350
PostAnteaterCharger said:
Don't know how many of you guys know much about laptops but my desktop looks like its on its last legs and since Thomas Jefferson requires new students to get laptops, i'm looking at the possibility of acquiring one. I've limited it down to two; the Inspiron E1705 and the Latitude D820. If I had to break down what i'd do with a computer it would be
40% Internet - research/blogging/mail/assorted....uh :icon_rofl:
25% Writing/Office
15% MP3/Itunes
10% Podcasting :yes:
10% gaming

Anyone know which would be the best or if not these two another good option? I'm leaning towards the Latitude with some modifications (namely a bigger harddrive, more memory and an improved graphics card).
Toshiba Tecra S3, with the fingerprint scanner for security!:tup:
 

Trumpet_Man

Well-Known Member
Feb 14, 2006
17,404
598
350
PostAnteaterCharger said:
:whistling: Thomas Jefferson School of Law in San Diego
definetely not the best of the best; applied there didn't get it :-p
I almost enrolled at National Universities Juris Doctorate (JD) of law. F. Lee Bailey was conducting moot court trials but this was back in the 80's
 

Shamrock

Well-Known Member
Jun 18, 2006
11,141
1,167
350
55
I have an older (3-4 years I think) Dell Inspiron and have been very happy with it.
 

AnteaterRaider

Carpe Diem et omni Mundio
Staff member
Super Moderator
Podcaster
Jan 19, 2006
18,917
1,827
350
San Diego, CA
Chispa said:
Transfer later if you think it will mean that much to your career. I turned down a better school to go to an almost unknown one because I had a pre-school aged kids and I didn't want the whole competitive thing. But I always worked for non-profits and assumed I would do the same after law school. It wasn't like I was planning on going to work for the Captains of Industry who were going to be overly-impressed with a diploma from a "good school". I studied for the bar with someone who went to Harvard and another girl who went to Stanford. You should have heard them complain! Especially the girl from Harvard. She was learning lots of stuff for the first time during bar review because many of her professors [who have names you'd probably recognize] didn't "teach" - she said they just came in and talked about whatever was on their minds that day. Anyway - what I'm sayin' is that Thomas Jefferson might work out great for you.
I am hoping such and I've heard that that's what TJ prides itself on; a real life law education with professors that actually teach. It was a bit annoying though applying to schools like USD, Texas, William and Mary, Notre Dame, USC, etc and only getting into TJ; its good though. Gives me a big chip on my shoulder :tup:
 

AnteaterRaider

Carpe Diem et omni Mundio
Staff member
Super Moderator
Podcaster
Jan 19, 2006
18,917
1,827
350
San Diego, CA
Chispa said:
Last year was the first year in a long time that the number of law school applications didn't increase. But overall, compared to ten years or so ago - I think the numbers have increased dramatically. There's lots more competition, and so many people who are very well-qualified to be admitted get squeezed out.

Isn't UCLA kinda "The School" for sports/entertainment lawyers? Maybe you should just kick *** at TJLS for a year and then apply to transfer and take the place of someone who washed out at UCLA. I think most law schools follow pretty much the same curriculum as far as which courses are taken which years - but if your thinking of transferring you might wanna check out how comprable the schedules are.

Also, if none of your other lawyer friends told you yet - those commercial course outlines you can buy are worth every penny. You could probably stock up on them on Ebay now. Like, being a recovering commie - of course I hated Real Property which made me really insecure about doing well in that class. So I got, like, four of those canned outlines. I wasn't optimistic about my grade, but because of the overkill on the outlines, I ended up having the second or third highest grade. They do work. And get some past law school/bar exam questions, too, so you have a model for how they like to see the answers. You'll do great, I'm sure.

BTW, your football posts are the best. I hope the law school thing doesn't result in the world gaining yet another lawyer - and losing a great sportswriter. :)
Leisure; that's the plan baring that I like TJ (which could happen). And I had a bunch of friends who applied to schools EVERYWHERE and got lower tier results (one friend had a 3.7 two degrees (Poly Sci and Computer Engineering) and is going to Michigan at Lansing). I was a 3.55 154 LSAT with honors in Poly Sci so I was incredibly frustrated. What I had heard was that nearly EVERY school I applied to had record applications (or maybe that's them being nice to me). I know Arizona had 1500 to 150 spots and UNLV had 2500 for 175.

Im ready to roll one way or another and though TJ will limit the number of posts/articles, I'm not going to disappear from this board. I'll still be here to write, podcast, blog and generally be a pain in the butt :icon_banana: