Tatis Jr - Likely our for the rest of the year

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I dunno. Hiring big name expensive managers goes against what is working now for other teams. Like it out not, money goes into analytics now, not into a manager. We fans always want big names because that's who we know. We don't know some up and coming manager in the minors or some bench coach on another team.
practically speaking you are probably right, however we are talking about an organization that is in the dumpster year after year, is allegedly attempting to alter the perception of the organization, and I know of no better way then to bring in the big names. We did with Machado. Good move. Hosmer, good move. Tatis is a great electric attraction. But outside that I'm not sure. Paddack good til he starts tiring. Yates great closer. I just wonder if a name manager who has been in the majors quite a while wouldn't translate to a conficence with the young players and the fans that this club is serious. Green just has never done a damn thing in the majors. Sure maybe not his fault 'cause he hasn't had a boatload of talent. But Boch has been to war and back and would bring an excitement that Green will not til he's won a WS. Green could be the next Bellicheck (after struggling in CLE) or could be the next Mike McCoy.

I'd concur with the opinion that this organization has a history of holding onto managers for as long as possible so Green is probably here AT LEAST another year. I'm frustrated with this year's performance thus far. Now Tatis gone and that's gonna be the excuse for Green just as norb had used up excuse after excuse and hung around about 5 years too long. Just sayin'. Right now I'm not real positive about this club's future with Green at the helm, heck even with a guy like Boch not sure about it.

Some say be patient....how long is that? I'm good if we make a late season run and end up at or above .500 with a shot at a wild card. If so Green has deserved to stay. Other than that I'd say move on.

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
practically speaking you are probably right, however we are talking about an organization that is in the dumpster year after year, is allegedly attempting to alter the perception of the organization, and I know of no better way then to bring in the big names. We did with Machado. Good move. Hosmer, good move. Tatis is a great electric attraction. But outside that I'm not sure. Paddack good til he starts tiring. Yates great closer. I just wonder if a name manager who has been in the majors quite a while wouldn't translate to a conficence with the young players and the fans that this club is serious. Green just has never done a damn thing in the majors. Sure maybe not his fault 'cause he hasn't had a boatload of talent. But Boch has been to war and back and would bring an excitement that Green will not til he's won a WS. Green could be the next Bellicheck (after struggling in CLE) or could be the next Mike McCoy.

I'd concur with the opinion that this organization has a history of holding onto managers for as long as possible so Green is probably here AT LEAST another year. I'm frustrated with this year's performance thus far. Now Tatis gone and that's gonna be the excuse for Green just as norb had used up excuse after excuse and hung around about 5 years too long. Just sayin'. Right now I'm not real positive about this club's future with Green at the helm, heck even with a guy like Boch not sure about it.

Some say be patient....how long is that? I'm good if we make a late season run and end up at or above .500 with a shot at a wild card. If so Green has deserved to stay. Other than that I'd say move on.
I'm all for getting rid of Green but we shouldn't just go hire an old retread just for the sake of it. Go hire the right guy, big name or not.

One thing to keep in mind, I heard an interview saying that we are one of the teams that still does it more old school than analytics and it doesn't appear to be working. We need to go with what works.

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I'm all for getting rid of Green but we shouldn't just go hire an old retread just for the sake of it. Go hire the right guy, big name or not.

One thing to keep in mind, I heard an interview saying that we are one of the teams that still does it more old school than analytics and it doesn't appear to be working. We need to go with what works.
I'd go for that, doesn't have to be Boch by any means, particularly if the game has passed him by (I'm not sure it really has though). I don't know who the prime candidates would be. Green was supposedly a stellar minor league manager. I guess maybe I'd like someone with enough experience coaching/managing at the major league level.....Preller must have some plan B in mind if Green doesn't finish up strong and contend for a WC.

Lancer 1

Betrayed Bolt Supporter
Jul 10, 2006
I think any veteran Manager would be preferable to Andy Green, and would definitely be an upgrade considering the money that our owners invested to bring in talent like Hosmer, Machado, & Kinsler, all of which have played in World Series games and Hosmer & Kinsler have won them. If you're gonna spend hundreds of millions on good players, why go bargain basement shopping for the guy who is supposed to lead, motivate and if necessary, discipline these veteran players?

In 2013, the Cubs hired Rick Renteria, but fired him after 1 year when Joe Maddon became available. Renteria landed on his feet and now coaches the White Sox, but the Cubs appear to have made the right move - they've been competitive ever since Maddon arrived, and have a World Series championship as well.

Reactions: Gill Man