Tatis Jr - Likely our for the rest of the year

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
bummer for the guy.....should be ROY. Now will not. Hope he's not gonna be hurt all the time.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
bummer for the guy.....should be ROY. Now will not. Hope he's not gonna be hurt all the time.
I don’t know what caused the back spasms (that leap?) but the hammy was a legit injury, he stretched it way too much.

Perhaps the acrobatics he attempts causes him to get injured? If that’s the case someone needs to advise him to tone it down a little.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I don’t know what caused the back spasms (that leap?) but the hammy was a legit injury, he stretched it way too much.

Perhaps the acrobatics he attempts causes him to get injured? If that’s the case someone needs to advise him to tone it down a little.
wouldn't doubt if that leap caused it......the guy plays with reckless abandon all the time.....and I agree it might take someone to advise him he's only valuable when he's actually on the field and if he continues to put his body in danger in order to make spectacular plays in the field or on the bases he will likely miss significant time due to needless injury. Now if it's in the playoffs or world series,,,,have at it....but a regular season game no. It's analagous to a running athletic QB who has to figure out how to avoid taking too many hits.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Hard to be motivated to watch any games now. :(
yup.....missing that guy is missing the heart and soul of the team. They are done for the year now. Just play young talent, bring em all up from the minors and figure out who is gonna be the future starting next year.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
yup.....missing that guy is missing the heart and soul of the team. They are done for the year now. Just play young talent, bring em all up from the minors and figure out who is gonna be the future starting next year.
And then fire Green.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
LOL cold blooded.
Lol! I didn’t mean it that way! It was sarcasm but I guess it doesn’t translate very well via the written word.

What I meant was it was stupid of Green to trot him out there to pitch when they could’ve thrown a piece of meat from the pen out there (like Erlin) to mop up. Now Green has virtually ended his career.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008

“Fernando Tatis Jr. is injured ... again!”
FOF: 7.5, for Tatis’ projected WAR had he played the entirety of 2019
Fernando Tatis Jr.’s rousing rookie season -- in which he was legitimately vying with the Mets’ Pete Alonso for the NL Rookie of the Year Award -- appears to be over, thanks to a stress reaction in his lower back. The Padres are only on the furthest fringes of NL Wild Card contention, so it’s not as if this is a big deal from a competitive standpoint, but we’re talking about one of the most exciting players in the game, a player whose talent stands out even amid an incredible infusion of youthful energy in the sport at large.
And beyond this back injury itself, there is the bigger-picture concern presented by the fact that in the last year-plus, Tatis has suffered three injuries of significance -- a thumb fracture that prematurely ended his 2018 season at the Double-A level, a hamstring injury that cost him about a month and a half of his rookie year, and now this. The fine line between “unlucky” and “injury prone” has always been difficult to decipher, and we’re not going to be able to decide here which side of that line the 20-year-old is on. But as with the 24-year-old Carlos Correa, who has been limited to fewer than 300 games over the past three years because of a variety of injury issues, you hope the injury bug doesn’t prevent Tatis from reaching his MVP ceiling.

Tatis Jr. likely done for season

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
My gut tells me...

This injury is not as significant as is being portrayed. "Back Spasms" translates to Tatis has reached his games played this year limit so lets come up with a general injury that x-rays or a ctscan cant determine. They shut the dude down.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I am not liking that they used the term "stress reaction" for his back. Things like 'strain', 'spasm', etc would be typically used for muscle injury. "Stress" is used for bone injury in general and gotta be concerned he might have suffered some sort of stress fractue of a vertebra. Jeebus. This guy might be in the 'injury prone' category. He needs to dial back the high risk dives, slides, stretches and reaches and leaps, at least during the regular season and particular in series that are not so important....and especially if we already are either way ahead or way behind. Go ahead and have at it in the playoffs or series.....but otherwise play smart. If he's on the bench half the time he isn't gonna do a hell ofa lot of good and his career could end up being stunted.

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
I am not liking that they used the term "stress reaction" for his back. Things like 'strain', 'spasm', etc would be typically used for muscle injury. "Stress" is used for bone injury in general and gotta be concerned he might have suffered some sort of stress fractue of a vertebra. Jeebus. This guy might be in the 'injury prone' category. He needs to dial back the high risk dives, slides, stretches and reaches and leaps, at least during the regular season and particular in series that are not so important....and especially if we already are either way ahead or way behind. Go ahead and have at it in the playoffs or series.....but otherwise play smart. If he's on the bench half the time he isn't gonna do a hell ofa lot of good and his career could end up being stunted.
You could be on to something. "Back spasms" shouldn't be a season ending injury.

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
Another consequence of this: some are speculating that Tatis out for the year gives Andy Green a pass for not being able to go .500.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Another consequence of this: some are speculating that Tatis out for the year gives Andy Green a pass for not being able to go .500.
ugh....lolz....insult to injury, salt in the wound

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
That would make no sense. They were under .500 when he was playing.

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
Owners fire and keep managers for dumb reasons so you never know.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Other than Pat Murphy, who was interim manager after they fired Black, the Padres usually stick with their manager for a good amount of time. I pretty much feel like we’re going to see Green one more year, but he will officially be on the hot seat.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Other than Pat Murphy, who was interim manager after they fired Black, the Padres usually stick with their manager for a good amount of time. I pretty much feel like we’re going to see Green one more year, but he will officially be on the hot seat.
They need to hire a big name and show they are serious, that they'll spend whatever to win. But that ain't happening and never has with the Pads. Supposedly this is a new ownership with a whole different philosophy and committment. Right now it isn't paying off....and it's questionable how committed they are given the manager. We'll see after this offseason. I'm not holding my breath.

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
They need to hire a big name and show they are serious, that they'll spend whatever to win. But that ain't happening and never has with the Pads. Supposedly this is a new ownership with a whole different philosophy and committment. Right now it isn't paying off....and it's questionable how committed they are given the manager. We'll see after this offseason. I'm not holding my breath.
I dunno. Hiring big name expensive managers goes against what is working now for other teams. Like it out not, money goes into analytics now, not into a manager. We fans always want big names because that's who we know. We don't know some up and coming manager in the minors or some bench coach on another team.