Tatis Jr. and Sabremetrics

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Interesting article involving Tatis Jr.’s defense as rated by this stat called “Outs above average”. I’m not sure I necessarily agree with this stat, but it might make sense why Preller was looking to acquire Lindor. What doesn’t make sense, is if they indeed were serious about moving Tatis to CF, why not try to land a 3B and move Manny to SS? It’s where he was looking to play but he agreed to stay at 3B because of Tatis.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Interesting article involving Tatis Jr.’s defense as rated by this stat called “Outs above average”. I’m not sure I necessarily agree with this stat, but it might make sense why Preller was looking to acquire Lindor. What doesn’t make sense, is if they indeed were serious about moving Tatis to CF, why not try to land a 3B and move Manny to SS? It’s where he was looking to play but he agreed to stay at 3B because of Tatis.

This sounds too much like the old Dan Henning days in which our old team would take great players and move them to other positions. Lee Williams was a great defensive end, so Henning moved him to tackle. Leslie O'Neal was a great defensive end, so Henning moved him to linebacker. Both moves made us worse.

Tatis is the balls at short. Leave him there. Get a centerfielder to play centerfield. That is how most teams do it.

Gill Man

Inaugural SAN DIEGO Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I remember the throwing errors after making incredible stops.......it is therefore probably a very skewed statistic for this guy. Most SS's aren't able to even get in position quick enough to TRY to throw some of the outs this guy makes, so they either miss it entirely and it's a hit or they field it and don't throw the ball away so an infield hit. Therefore I'm not buying it. If the guy is given time, he'll figure out better when and when not to try to make the 'impossible play'. To just send him to CF to me is a mistake. Give him more time. Jeebus H.....raw rookie and you are gonna give up on him now and after half a season at that???? Ridonkulous.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fender57