• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Tailgate: Fleet vs. Iron

AnteaterRaider

Carpe Diem et omni Mundio
Staff member
Super Moderator
Podcaster
So.....Birmingham...........Alabama

I'm guessing BBQ is the thing. Depending how many people wanna come (and it's a 5pm start time) I could always do some ribs or pork or something on the smoker at my house & bring it in. Since i haven't been able to tailgate I'm happy to go big.

The other thing they're famous for is poultry with a white bbq sauce. They also do the normal southern stuff of like Banana Pudding, Shrimp and Grits, etc etc.

So.....Birmingham...........Alabama

I'm guessing BBQ is the thing. Depending how many people wanna come (and it's a 5pm start time) I could always do some ribs or pork or something on the smoker at my house & bring it in. Since i haven't been able to tailgate I'm happy to go big.

The other thing they're famous for is poultry with a white bbq sauce. They also do the normal southern stuff of like Banana Pudding, Shrimp and Grits, etc etc.
If you like fish and grits and all that dope ****, let me hear you say oh yay errr.

SDRay

Let's go Fleet! #GoBoats #AnchorDown
Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
I can bring some Pancit since I'm sure they eat that in Birmingham.

Pointyearedog

I only put idiots on ignore...
Initial List For Tailgate:

Entree #1 - Shrimp & Andouille Over Grits - Pointy

Entree #2 -

Side Dish - Biscuits -

Side Dish - Greens

Side Dish - Coleslaw

Side Dish - Country Sausage Gravy - Pointy

Dessert Item -

Dessert Item - Madeleine/Brownie Bites - Pointy

Grill - Pointy

Remember, if you want to bring an item, just copy this list and add your items at the bottom or you can put your name next to one of the listed items. Another thing, if you do bring an item, plan on feeding 6 to 8 people with it. Let's try to get a few more people for this one. Be sure to bring your beverage of choice, and we may need one or two extra coolers too.

Thanks,

Pointy :cool:

Last edited:

AnteaterRaider

Staff member
Super Moderator
Podcaster
I can do the greens and the coleslaw

I'll also be that kind of guy and bring some cauliflower "grits" because yay keto.

And maybe I'll bring some good whiskey to make up for it lol

Pointyearedog

I only put idiots on ignore...
Second List For Tailgate:

Entree #1 - Shrimp & Andouille Over Grits - Pointy

Entree #2 - Chicken Wings - SDRay

Side Dish - Biscuits -

Side Dish - Greens - Anteater

Side Dish - Cauliflower Grits - Anteater

Side Dish - Coleslaw - Anteater

Side Dish - Country Sausage Gravy - Pointy

Dessert Item -

Dessert Item - Madeleine/Brownie Bites - Pointy

Anyone bringing something BbQ?

I spend a good amount of time at Ole Miss (visiting nieces) for football games/basketball games, etc. BIL and sister have a condo which we use for weekends, and the Ole Miss tailgates (google "The Grove Ole Miss") is a tailgate unlike anything you've ever seen.

Long story short, learned quite a bit about some of the local favorites - I would say the same goes for Alabama as well.

- Chicken salad is huge - works well for sliders
- Fried green tomatoes/fried pickles with "Comeback Sauce"......recipe below
- Fried shrimp
- Chick Fil-A chicken nuggets are a staple at most tents when tailgating (sounds strange, but always a crowd favorite - you can order a platter of chicken nuggets).
- BBQ/pulled pork - some of the best you will ever have served in run down gas stations, holes-in-the-wall

"Comeback Sauce" recipe:
https://www.southernliving.com/recipes/comeback-sauce

Anyway, just thought I would add my 2 cents.

Hope you all have a great time!

SDRay

Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
I spend a good amount of time at Ole Miss (visiting nieces) for football games/basketball games, etc. BIL and sister have a condo which we use for weekends, and the Ole Miss tailgates (google "The Grove Ole Miss") is a tailgate unlike anything you've ever seen.

Long story short, learned quite a bit about some of the local favorites - I would say the same goes for Alabama as well.

- Chicken salad is huge - works well for sliders
- Fried green tomatoes/fried pickles with "Comeback Sauce"......recipe below
- Fried shrimp
- Chick Fil-A chicken nuggets are a staple at most tents when tailgating (sounds strange, but always a crowd favorite - you can order a platter of chicken nuggets).
- BBQ/pulled pork - some of the best you will ever have served in run down gas stations, holes-in-the-wall

"Comeback Sauce" recipe:
https://www.southernliving.com/recipes/comeback-sauce

Anyway, just thought I would add my 2 cents.

Hope you all have a great time!
Nice list! So Ii'm thinking we'll have probably 9 or 10 folks show up.

Harryo the K

Tailgaters...
I can't make the Fleet Vs. Iron game this week....and would like to transfer my two plaza seats to
a fellow Fleeter and friend/relative......folks can send me an IM. I transfer the tickets from my AAF account to your email address, you open it, open tickets viewing barcodes, take screenshot (or keep within your email if you have constant internet.)

“How's the craic?"
Harryo

28CF44C4-EBC9-4AF0-9ABF-7A049AABA890.jpeg

SDRay

Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
Tailgaters...
I can't make the Fleet Vs. Iron game this week....and would like to transfer my two plaza seats to
a fellow Fleeter and friend/relative......folks can send me an IM. I transfer the tickets from my AAF account to your email address, you open it, open tickets viewing barcodes, take screenshot (or keep within your email if you have constant internet.)

“How's the craic?"
Harryo

View attachment 6510

Great opportunity if you haven’t gone to a game yet!

Tailgaters...

“How's the craic?"
Harryo

View attachment 6510
I knew we had something in common. I am half Irish - an offshoot of the O'Neil clan. Read the story of the bloody red hand of O'Neil, and you will find I should be king. I am an Irish Jew so I got a few big holidays coming up. Passover is 4/20 this year. Brisket and Irish/Irie potatoes is where it's at. Go Fleet!

Last edited:

AnteaterRaider

Staff member
Super Moderator
Podcaster
I knew we had something in common. I am half Irish - an offshoot of the O'Neil clan. Read the story of the bloody red hand of O'Neil, and you will find I should be king. I am an Irish Jew so I got a few big holidays coming up. Passover is 4/20 this year. Brisket and Irish/Irie potatoes is where its at. Go Fleet!
Always nice to run into a fellow member of the tribe on the site

Tailgaters...

“How's the craic?"
Harryo

View attachment 6510
I'm booked solid this weekend, but I just wanted to say that that's a right decent thing for you to do, Harryo.

SDRay

Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
Tailgaters...

“How's the craic?"
Harryo

View attachment 6510
I’ll take them Harry. Will send you a PM.