Suspended Merriman: 'I'm not a cheater'

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

SDRay

#GoIrish #Aztecs #SDGulls #Raiders #THFC #RipCity
Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
Jun 20, 2005
Chula Vista, CA
www.afsportsforum.com
http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20061101-1729-fbn-chargers-merriman.html

SAN DIEGO – Banished from the NFL for four weeks, Chargers star linebacker Shawne Merriman said he's not a steroid cheat.

He also suggested he's a victim of the league's drug testing policy.

Merriman dropped by Chargers headquarters on Wednesday to address his teammates before beginning a four-game suspension for testing positive for the steroid nandrolone. He and his attorney have blamed a tainted supplement.

The second-year pro, tied for the NFL lead with 8½ sacks, dropped his appeal Tuesday, after which the league announced his suspension. Merriman could have gone through with a hearing on Nov. 7, which would have allowed him to play in Sunday's home game against the Browns. But he concluded he didn't stand a chance of winning, because the NFL holds players responsible for the supplements they take.

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
I really want to believe him, and have come to the conclusion that the one time doesnt matter. Second time and all bets are off.

foober

BoltTalker
Aug 17, 2006
The ridicule he's gonna get is gonna be bad. These 4 weeks of hearing sheet should really make him pizzed. Its making me pizzed hearing stuff from folks that want to see bad things happen to him. Humans can be mean. :yes:

KimPossible

BoltTalker
Jun 23, 2006
Concudan said:
I really want to believe him, and have come to the conclusion that the one time doesnt matter. Second time and all bets are off.
Me too...and I don't think there will be a second time.

boltssbbound

Jun 16, 2006
foober said:
The ridicule he's gonna get is gonna be bad. These 4 weeks of hearing sheet should really make him pizzed. Its making me pizzed hearing stuff from folks that want to see bad things happen to him. Humans can be mean. :yes:
I don't think it will be bad at all. Does anybody even remember that Julius Peppers got popped for steroids?

Boltdiehard

Jan 5, 2006
We all know the deal. I just hope he learns from this because it cannot happen again. :no:

Thread_Killer

Feb 6, 2006
Boltdiehard said:
We all know the deal. I just hope he learns from this because it cannot happen again. :no:
Yeah, I've already forgiven the guy. And he's still my favorite Charger, provided that he NEVER has another positive test.

Don't get caught again, Shawne. :no:

ntman68

Aug 16, 2006
Orange County, CA
What a nightmare it would be if his productivity drops off after this... I would have to retire my powder blue 56 jersey. :icon_sad:

foober

BoltTalker
Aug 17, 2006
I'm gonna buy as many 56 jerseys as I can now. i don't know what happened but I do know there is no way he'd take a steriod that can easily be found in a test.

SDSWEATHOGS

Banned
Banned
Dec 2, 2005
ntman68 said:
What a nightmare it would be if his productivity drops off after this... I would have to retire my powder blue 56 jersey. :icon_sad:
His productivity drop off?! Are you serious?! He's gonna come back even meaner and nastier than ever!
I'm just glad that his 4th game missed is against the Raiders. The Bills' QB is the one I feel sorry for!

SDRay

#GoIrish #Aztecs #SDGulls #Raiders #THFC #RipCity
Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
Jun 20, 2005
Chula Vista, CA
www.afsportsforum.com
SDSWEATHOGS said:
His productivity drop off?! Are you serious?! He's gonna come back even meaner and nastier than ever!
I'm just glad that his 4th game missed is against the Raiders. The Bills' QB is the one I feel sorry for!
I agree with you there man. :yes:

Reactions: KimPossible

ntman68

Aug 16, 2006
Orange County, CA
SDSWEATHOGS said:
Meaning if he really is on the juice, he will have a dropoff in production when he is off of it.

SDSWEATHOGS

Banned
Banned
Dec 2, 2005
ntman68 said:
Meaning if he really is on the juice, he will have a dropoff in production when he is off of it.
I think that's what ntman68 was trying to say. After the way he played against the rams, I doubt very much he was on anything.

LT-Express

Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06'
Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 4, 2006
CIncinnati, OH
boltssbbound said:
I don't think it will be bad at all. Does anybody even remember that Julius Peppers got popped for steroids?

Thank you I was going to put that on here but this is the first visit to the thread and you beat me to it! I think it is hillarious that they made such a big deal about it saying that Merriman was the biggest name to ever get popped for Roids! Peppers did as well but everyone seemed to have forgotten about that!! Its all a media ploy for ratings and thats it! Good call Boltssbbound!

Reactions: KimPossible

Boltdiehard

Jan 5, 2006
The Champ said:
Thank you I was going to put that on here but this is the first visit to the thread and you beat me to it! I think it is hillarious that they made such a big deal about it saying that Merriman was the biggest name to ever get popped for Roids! Peppers did as well but everyone seemed to have forgotten about that!! Its all a media ploy for ratings and thats it! Good call Boltssbbound!
During Shawne's four game suspension I'm sure TO will fart or blow his nose in Dallas thus major headlines at ESPN and NFL Network and they will forget all about Mr Merriman. :rolleyes:

ayehoto

BoltTalker
Nov 1, 2006
i believe him 100% and he has my support. i hope he keeps his word and wont be on any substance ever again.

Thread_Killer

Feb 6, 2006
ayehoto said:
i believe him 100% and he has my support. i hope he keeps his word and wont be on any substance ever again.
Who is that in your avatar? :icon_eek:

Boltdiehard

Jan 5, 2006
ayehoto said:

Yeah who's that in your avatar?

HEXEDBOLT

Don't like it, lump it!!!
Jul 11, 2006
Oh hell, why don't you y'all just string the mofo up in the town square?
He did something to gain an advantage (at least thats what the NFL says) and y'all swallow it hook, line and sinker.

I'd say most of you go to the doctor if your hair hurt's, this guy gets beat on week in and week out but he's a bad guy because of an allegation from a test that could be wrong? false positives come back more than you know, he just happens to be high profile.

FREE MERRIMAN!!!!!!!!! :bolt:

Boltdiehard

Jan 5, 2006
Merriman was just on NFL Total Access. Nothing new really but it amazes me how much the media fuggin loves this guy; that can only be good for the Chargers IMO. Dude better not f*ck up again that's for sure.

Rod Woodson even said he didn't think we would play as well as we have and it hurt him to say it. Dude is a clown and I actually liked him as a player. :rolleyes:

Shawne is going to come back one angry man. :yes: :bolt:

foober

BoltTalker
Aug 17, 2006
Boltdiehard said:
Merriman was just on NFL Total Access. Nothing new really but it amazes me how much the media fuggin loves this guy; that can only be good for the Chargers IMO. Dude better not f*ck up again that's for sure.

Rod Woodson even said he didn't think we would play as well as we have and it hurt him to say it. Dude is a clown and I actually liked him as a player. :rolleyes:

Shawne is going to come back one angry man. :yes: :bolt:
he is a good guy.

If they'd just checked months ago they would have seen he was telling them the truth. There is no way in heck that he'd purposely take an easily traceable steriod. But the nfl is a bunch of stodgy old men who have to look good in the eyes of the crazy fan base and pubilc to keep their fortunes growing.

HollywoodLeo

Mar 13, 2006
Him dropping the appeal right now kinda supports my theory that he only started to appeal it because Shaun Phillips was also out.

I last read that Shaun is to return for the Browns game, is this still the case?

Trumpet_Man

Feb 14, 2006
Merriman never explained how in a Blog he was asked if he was using any supplements and he responded "NO" and he has been using the supplement for 1 1/2 years by my reads....

Uhhh ... if not labeled a cheater then maybe Liar is more appropriate?:icon_eek:

LT-Express

Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06'
Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 4, 2006
CIncinnati, OH
Trumpet_Man said:
Merriman never explained how in a Blog he was asked if he was using any supplements and he responded "NO" and he has been using the supplement for 1 1/2 years by my reads....

Uhhh ... if not labeled a cheater then maybe Liar is more appropriate?:icon_eek:
Are you an undercover Raider fan or something? Have faith in the guy and the team!!!!!!!!!! Please, all I ever hear from you are negative comments about the team!

!~BOLT~!

Oct 2, 2006
www.finerfinishdetailing.com
Trumpet_Man said:

the answer to the question was im not taking any supplements RIGHT NOW. that means alot of things. if you asked me what kind of beer i drink i'd say tecate, but that all due to the fact that im drinking a tecate RIGHT NOW. :icon_rofl: