Super Bowl was rigged.

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
I feel sorry for all you suckers who took the Super Bowl seriously. I offer three links as evidence the League isn't legit.

The first link shows that an unusually large number of million-dollar bets were placed on the underdog Eagles.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/belief-underdog-million-dollar-bets-eagles-super-bowl/story?id=52816688

In the following link, ESPN transcripts show network analysts discussing how the NFL gave the Eagles two touchdown catches based on a rule that wasn't in effect at the time. The NFL denies this, but we all know the NFL is full of shit.

https://247sports.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/Bolt/NFL-says-new-catch-rule-was-not-used-during-Super-Bowl-52-116784211

In the final link, a famous former ref and current ref analyst says one of the Eagles TDs should have been a flag against the Eagles.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ex-nfl-vp-of-refs-eagles-should-have-been-penalized-on-wild-super-bowl-trick-play/

So those are 21 points for the Eagles that shouldn't have happened.

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Just one more, albeit this one of huge import in the championship game, example of incompetence of NFL officials and of the league adopting completely subjective rules prone to wide variation in rulings on the field. It's a complete clusterfck in the NFL. And yeah, it also opens things up to corruption/bias/fixing since gambling is a huge part of the NFL revenue re: viewership and interest in the game, from fantasy league to hardcore gambling. And now they are moving a team to Vegas. Smart move dumbasses. I concur that catch was a non catch......I felt that the moment I saw it. The guy never had control of the ball. Bogus call. And I wasn't aware of Pereira's official take on that bogus TD catch by Foles. YGBSM. Pats won that game. To top it off, Eggles never woulda won either way had stubborn egotistical inflexible Belichek started his best CB. WTF. EFF the NFL.

Despite all this, up until Jan 12 2017 I actually continued with my unabated desire to see SD get a Lombardi. I still actually supported that f-ing schithead of an owner's team and relegated my hatred of what the NFL was becoming to the back burner, just because I hoped to see SD celebrate a Lombardi......yet in the back of my mind i knew I was allowing my heart to overlook the obvious shortcomings of the owner and the league itself. No more. That little POS Spanos and his decision have turned me against the league as it stands. That was the impetus to turn me against it.

Oh, if we get another team with a decent owner like Tsai I'll probably cave in and start all over rooting for the hometeam, but it'll NEVER ever be the same as the good old days of the Gillman/Hilton era and the Coryell/Fouts era. NEVER. Those days are long gone. It'll be PSL's and a game for the wealthy to attend the live events. Sad times for all. Yet folks still will follow. Would love for a nationwide boycott of the league to occur but it'll never happen. The problem is every city involved still fantasizes they are the next great champion team and will overlook all the shortcomings and inequities of the league and owners just as I did when SD actually had a team. Stupid us.

Last edited:

FiftyFive

Dean Spanos is a traitor!
Nov 14, 2017
I'm as skeptical as anyone about the NFL being on the up-and-up, but I highly doubt they'd ever rig a Super Bowl against the Patriots.

Philly fans, like them or not, will stay loyal win or lose. In contrast, the Patriots don't have a real fanbase - they have an enormous bandwagon that needs constant winning in order to keep giving the league their money. You do the math on which team they'd favor.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
I'm as skeptical as anyone about the NFL being on the up-and-up, but I highly doubt they'd ever rig a Super Bowl against the Patriots.

Philly fans, like them or not, will stay loyal win or lose. In contrast, the Patriots don't have a real fanbase - they have an enormous bandwagon that needs constant winning in order to keep giving the league their money. You do the math on which team they'd favor.
In my conspiratorial mind, the NFL itself rarely determines the winner of Super Bowls. Once the league got the Patsies into the final game, all that mattered was keeping the game close and making it memorable. The gambling world, on the other hand, would have been heavily interested in who the winner was.

There were a couple Super Bowls the NFL itself likely fixed. We all must know the NFL had its hands all over the Jets and Saints championships. Without the Jets victory, the league merger with the AFL would have been far less profitable. And the Saints winning the Super Bowl right after the Katrina recovery is about as believable as the Astros championship that came in the midst of the Houston Strong movement. These sports storylines were too good to be true. Sorry, Al Michaels. I don't believe in miracles.

Happy Passover, everybody.

Last edited:

Pointyearedog

I only put idiots on ignore...
Aug 19, 2008
Golden Hill
Just one more, albeit this one of huge import in the championship game, example of incompetence of NFL officials and of the league adopting completely subjective rules prone to wide variation in rulings on the field. It's a complete clusterfck in the NFL. And yeah, it also opens things up to corruption/bias/fixing since gambling is a huge part of the NFL revenue re: viewership and interest in the game, from fantasy league to hardcore gambling. And now they are moving a team to Vegas. Smart move dumbasses. I concur that catch was a non catch......I felt that the moment I saw it. The guy never had control of the ball. Bogus call. And I wasn't aware of Pereira's official take on that bogus TD catch by Foles. YGBSM. Pats won that game. To top it off, Eggles never woulda won either way had stubborn egotistical inflexible Belichek started his best CB. WTF. EFF the NFL.

Despite all this, up until Jan 12 2017 I actually continued with my unabated desire to see SD get a Lombardi. I still actually supported that f-ing schithead of an owner's team and relegated my hatred of what the NFL was becoming to the back burner, just because I hoped to see SD celebrate a Lombardi......yet in the back of my mind i knew I was allowing my heart to overlook the obvious shortcomings of the owner and the league itself. No more. That little POS Spanos and his decision have turned me against the league as it stands. That was the impetus to turn me against it.

Oh, if we get another team with a decent owner like Tsai I'll probably cave in and start all over rooting for the hometeam, but it'll NEVER ever be the same as the good old days of the Gillman/Hilton era and the Coryell/Fouts era. NEVER. Those days are long gone. It'll be PSL's and a game for the wealthy to attend the live events. Sad times for all. Yet folks still will follow. Would love for a nationwide boycott of the league to occur but it'll never happen. The problem is every city involved still fantasizes they are the next great champion team and will overlook all the shortcomings and inequities of the league and owners just as I did when SD actually had a team. Stupid us.
So, if the new LA Chargers do win a Lombardi in the near future, which location will be the site of the Super Bowl parade? Carson? Inglewood? Downtown LA? Or is that when LT makes good on his promise to bring that party to SD? Just wondering out loud...

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
So, if the new LA Chargers do win a Lombardi in the near future, which location will be the site of the Super Bowl parade? Carson? Inglewood? Downtown LA? Or is that when LT makes good on his promise to bring that party to SD? Just wondering out loud...
Downtown LA, without a doubt. SD????? not a chance.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017

Shangri-LA.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
:laugh:
LA is gonna give a :poop: about having a parade for the chargers?
The LA Galaxy announced that the club’s match on Saturday, March 31 at StubHub Center is sold out. The Galaxy will take on Western Conference side LAFC at 12 p.m. PT live on FOX and FOX Deportes. The match, presented by Herbalife Nutrition, will feature an LA Galaxy Unrivaled T-Shirt giveaway for fans in attendance.

LA Galaxy falls behind 0-3.....wins 4-3.

And now the LAFC wants part of Deano's turf. Or turf toe. :inlove:

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
LA is gonna give a :poop: about having a parade for the chargers?
lolz......after they've had a gazillion celebrations for the Lakers and Dodgers it's all old hat. But more important than that is no one there really cares about Dean Spanos' chargers. Now if the Raiders were there and won, there would be riots and fires set. Even the Rams might generate some interest with a parade. Not Deano.

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
Didneyland!

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
If the Smell A Chargers ever win a Super Bowl, it will be the first no city celebrates. There will be no parades, no invitations to the White House - there might not even be a post game show. Shit - the League might even forget to document it ever happened. The team that lost won't even remember who they played.

Old School SD Fan

View from the King's balcony!
Jun 29, 2006
The Eagles and their QB played nearly a perfect game. Anything less and they lose that game.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
League offices,”I don't understand this....we rigged nearly every damn play....how did the Chargers not make the playoffs? “

“There are somethings, President Putin, we have not yet figured out about the Spanni system.”

“Let's move on. Next year, everyone kneels to the white, blue, and red. Everyone.”

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
The Eagles and their QB played nearly a perfect game. Anything less and they lose that game.
Or, if, say, the refs called the game fairly - they'd also have lost.
That being said, knowing the NFL, the Patriots probably were awarded all kinds of advantages throughout the season and the post season leading up to their Super Bowl loss.
I didn't watch any of the games this season, but I'm just guessing that's what happened. I'd be surprised if I were wrong.

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
The Super Bowl was highly entertaining. The last few have been actually, minus the stupid half time shows.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
The Super Bowl was highly entertaining. The last few have been actually, minus the stupid half time shows.
Back in the day, all the Super Bowls were blowouts. Why do you think they are so much closer nowadays?

PosterFormerlyKnownAsCBF

Jun 25, 2006
Back in the day, all the Super Bowls were blowouts. Why do you think they are so much closer nowadays?
Because the teams are better prepared? Have better players? Better Coaches?

Oh...wait...you are of the narrow minded, tunnel vision, conspiracy sect. So answering your question with actual answers won't do any good.

PosterFormerlyKnownAsCBF

Jun 25, 2006
Or, if, say, the refs called the game fairly - they'd also have lost.
I didn't watch any of the games this season, but I'm just guessing that's what happened. I'd be surprised if I were wrong.
Didn't watch any of the games so you make your wild-a$$ conspiracy theory based on ONE game? Clearly your life is empty of anything else meaningful. Go plant a tree & watch it grow. You might learn something.

Chaincrusher

BoltTalker
Apr 8, 2015
I feel sorry for all you suckers who took the Super Bowl seriously. I offer three links as evidence the League isn't legit.

The first link shows that an unusually large number of million-dollar bets were placed on the underdog Eagles.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/belief-underdog-million-dollar-bets-eagles-super-bowl/story?id=52816688

In the following link, ESPN transcripts show network analysts discussing how the NFL gave the Eagles two touchdown catches based on a rule that wasn't in effect at the time. The NFL denies this, but we all know the NFL is full of ****.

https://247sports.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/Bolt/NFL-says-new-catch-rule-was-not-used-during-Super-Bowl-52-116784211

In the final link, a famous former ref and current ref analyst says one of the Eagles TDs should have been a flag against the Eagles.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ex-nfl-vp-of-refs-eagles-should-have-been-penalized-on-wild-super-bowl-trick-play/

So those are 21 points for the Eagles that shouldn't have happened.
The links offered prove nothing as far as the suggestion that the NFL is not legitimate is concerned.

1. Getting a 1.55 times return on what was considered by many to be an even 50/50 game is a pretty great return, so it is not surprising that that money line drew such large bets on the Eagles. The large bets tell us more about the money line than they do the integrity of the NFL.

2. The Ertz TD is not even controversial. The player caught the ball, made football moves to the end zone and crossed the plane of the goal line ending the play in a TD. Then, after the point at which the TD was scored, he fell to the ground and the ball came out. Howveer, he had long since established the catch and TD by that time.

3. The Clement TD could not be reversed on replay. It was called a TD on the field and there was not enough visual evidence to overturn it. Because it was a close call, that play probably would not have been overturned if the call had been incomplete on the field either.

4. OTs are almost never even with the C on the line, especially on passing plays. The WR on the trick play in the SB was given the benefit of the doubt on a judgment call that concluded that the lining up, while not perfect, was not off by enough to merit a flag being thrown. That is not a very controversial result as that sort of thing happens all of the time in NFL games (kind of like the old neighborhood play in baseball at second base).

5. The Patriots were the biggest beneficiaries of controversial calls in the league during the 2017 season.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
The links offered prove nothing as far as the suggestion that the NFL is not legitimate is concerned.

1. Getting a 1.55 times return on what was considered by many to be an even 50/50 game is a pretty great return, so it is not surprising that that money line drew such large bets on the Eagles. The large bets tell us more about the money line than they do the integrity of the NFL.

2. The Ertz TD is not even controversial. The player caught the ball, made football moves to the end zone and crossed the plane of the goal line ending the play in a TD. Then, after the point at which the TD was scored, he fell to the ground and the ball came out. Howveer, he had long since established the catch and TD by that time.

3. The Clement TD could not be reversed on replay. It was called a TD on the field and there was not enough visual evidence to overturn it. Because it was a close call, that play probably would not have been overturned if the call had been incomplete on the field either.

4. OTs are almost never even with the C on the line, especially on passing plays. The WR on the trick play in the SB was given the benefit of the doubt on a judgment call that concluded that the lining up, while not perfect, was not off by enough to merit a flag being thrown. That is not a very controversial result as that sort of thing happens all of the time in NFL games (kind of like the old neighborhood play in baseball at second base).

5. The Patriots were the biggest beneficiaries of controversial calls in the league during the 2017 season.
Did you read the stories about the bad calls? Your arguments don't match.