Steammin Stammen returns

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
I don't hate Stammen like the rest of you do. He threw a lot of innings last year and did a pretty average job. It is necessary to have a few Stammens in a bullpen. (We just also need a few setup guys, which Stammen is not.) The major problem with the new contract is that Stammen is already in his mid thirties. He isn't going to get better, only worse.

The problem with the bullpen is that we don't have enough decent relievers to make up for the fact our starters rarely pitch past 5 innings. So far, I think, we have added one guy to the pen who could help us. Unless we plan to have our starters throw way more innings, one new guy in the pen won't save us.

The moves we are making are making us older and possibly slightly better for this season. If we want to compete with the Dodgers, these moves, short term, won't likely get it done and are damaging our long-term chances for success.

Right now, our only hope is that Machado has a career year and Tatis and Paddack both stay healthy and dominate. We will need somebody else in that pitching staff to also have a huge year. These aren't impossibilities, but it is asking for a lot of things to happen that haven't ever happened for us.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I don't hate Stammen like the rest of you do. He threw a lot of innings last year and did a pretty average job. It is necessary to have a few Stammens in a bullpen. (We just also need a few setup guys, which Stammen is not.) The major problem with the new contract is that Stammen is already in his mid thirties. He isn't going to get better, only worse.

The problem with the bullpen is that we don't have enough decent relievers to make up for the fact our starters rarely pitch past 5 innings. So far, I think, we have added one guy to the pen who could help us. Unless we plan to have our starters throw way more innings, one new guy in the pen won't save us.

The moves we are making are making us older and possibly slightly better for this season. If we want to compete with the Dodgers, these moves, short term, won't likely get it done and are damaging our long-term chances for success.

Right now, our only hope is that Machado has a career year and Tatis and Paddack both stay healthy and dominate. We will need somebody else in that pitching staff to also have a huge year. These aren't impossibilities, but it is asking for a lot of things to happen that haven't ever happened for us.
I don’t hate him either but they trot him out like he’s some kind of setup guy and as you point out, he is average. As long as his role is diminished to mop up, he’s ok as just an arm to eat innings. He’s not an answer like they tried to use him last year.

Reactions: Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
I don’t hate him either but they trot him out like he’s some kind of setup guy and as you point out, he is average. As long as his role is diminished to mop up, he’s ok as just an arm to eat innings. He’s not an answer like they tried to use him last year.
Agreed.

Reactions: Fender57

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Remember last year when one of the sportwriters around town or media suggested if Motel gets traded the new closer would be Steamin'???:roflmao: Was that Acee? can't remember.

• Haha
Reactions: Fender57

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Remember last year when one of the sportwriters around town or media suggested if Motel gets traded the new closer would be Steamin'???:roflmao: Was that Acee? can't remember.
I think that was Acee. He drinks the kool-aid and tries to force it down his readers throats too.

Reactions: Gill Man