Spanos Planning To Dump Smith, Marty?

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

SDRay

FU Spanos and Dundon
Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
Jun 20, 2005
Chula Vista, CA
www.afsportsforum.com
Found this from another forum. What do you guys think about the possibility of both Marty and AJ being fired?

http://football.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=football&zu=http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

San Diego Chargers president/owner Dean Spanos announced on Thursday that he has big expectations for his team in 2006.

And if, as history tells us, big expectations aren't fulfilled, people get poop-canned.

According to Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune, Spanos says that he will be "'very disappointed'" if the team does not get to the playoffs and "go deep therein." In 2004, the Chargers shocked the NFL with a 12-4 record, but lost at home to the Jets in the wild-card round. In 2005, the Chargers failed to qualify for the postseason.

Asked whether this means that coach Marty Schottenheimer can officially be placed on the hot seat, Spanos tried to tap-dance: "There is equal pressure to win on everyone in this organization," he said. "That goes for the head coach and the general manager and for me, too."

Reminded that only two of those guys don't own the team, Spanos acknowledged, "Yeah. I'm not going to fire myself."

Our interpretation? Both Schottenheimer and G.M. A.J. Smith are in trouble. Spanos surely isn't happy with the cat fight that broke out between the two of them earlier in the offseason, and Spanos easily could conclude, if the team falls apart in 2006, that the root of the problem is the inability of Schott and Smith to work and play well together.

And we wonder whether Spanos is intentionally raising the bar so that no one will be shocked if/when both men are fired. After all, the Chargers are breaking in a new quarterback this year, who has spent his first two NFL seasons standing on the sidelines. So if Spanos intentionally is asking for too much, the worst-case scenario is that A.J. and Marty will now get their Schottenheimer together and deliver a Super Bowl trophy, or something darn close to it.

Either way, the guy who can't be fired wins.

BFISA

Nov 16, 2005
ChargerRay said:
Found this from another forum. What do you guys think about the possibility of both Marty and AJ being fired?

http://football.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=football&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.profootballtalk.com%2Frumormill.htm
This is a BS spin. AJ and Marty, IMHO, are not in trouble. The pieces of the puzzle are in place, and theres no reason in the world this team will not make the playoffs, or "go deep therein."

This is another forums attempt to placate those that'd bitch if they got hung with a new rope.

Reactions: BigJim

Boltdiehard

Jan 5, 2006
The pieces have been in place for a couple years now yet we have one playoff loss to show for it. The fact that AJ hasn't done chiat to upgrade the o-line is inexcusable IMO; at least add some depth because gawd fugging help us if one our so called "starters" go down. There's no way we can actually believe that Oben will be healthy and ready to go for the entire season. I am not a Marty guy but I think he has a lot of undue pressure on him with very few upgrades in needed areas yet he'll probably be the fall guy when this team doesn't go deep into the playoffs. I for one am tiring of AJ's ego. I know and appreciate what he has done to turn this organization around but his lack of activity in FA regarding the o-line has me worried.