Silver Lining - Losing the Chargers

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Old School SD Fan

View from the King's balcony!
Jun 29, 2006
I can't be the only one feeling this way.

Since not so long after we were abandoned, I've actually felt it might be a blessing in disguise. This franchise hasn't won one Lombardi in 50+ years and isn't any closer now. They're stinking up the NFL again this year, and I find myself not only free of what was annual frustration as a fan, but kind of enjoying their failures as karma at its finest. Rivers looks like he is just about done and that likely signals a long dark period of rebuilding again.

And none of what's to come will cloud my days as it certainly would if they had stayed. Silver lining.

Reactions: Harryo the K

ThunderHorse17

Lone Wolf
Apr 10, 2010
Missouri
Yep. Welcome to the light side. No need for those rose colored glasses or freaking out at another new way to lose a game. It is fun to watch them fuck up at every turn of the season.

Worst owner ever.

Reactions: Harryo the K

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
You kidding???? All Spanos ever was to SD was a HUGE EFFING EMBARRASMENT. So glad that MFer is gone. And he's doing the same schit in Carson he did in SD. They've beat themselves so many ways this year they oughta just change their name from the Chuggers to the Masturbators. Unbelievable. FUDEAN.

Loved the Bolts and their history from my childhood days right up til Spanos bought majority interest. STILL loved the team and supported them but was always embarrased by that family as owners. They never gave SD a effing thing in terms of a winning championship team....always took for their selfish interests. They are still doing that....they effed over Kroenke by not holding up their end of the deal on PSL sales and the league let the guy get away with moving there and pulling that crap. Hope somehow Kroenke can sue the guy if he lags in sales or maybe the league will force him out of there.

Understatement to say it's a silver lining. And yes karma that they are getting right now feels pretty good lolz.

Last edited:

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
They're stinking up the NFL again this year, and I find myself not only free of what was annual frustration as a fan, but kind of enjoying their failures as karma at its finest. Rivers looks like he is just about done and that likely signals a long dark period of rebuilding again.
Yup, they've wasted PR's career just as they did LT's and Gates'. They can never put together a complete team, NEVER. And even when they get close to doing that they find a way to skimp on the coaching staff or HC salaries and wind up with a choking team that underperforms expectations. Now they are faced with Rivers' demise and hope it takes them just as long to find another franchise QB as it did when they didn't plan adequately for Fout's retirement. Then I hope they get frustrated again with the coaching and fire them and find another norb/mcnorb tandem that lasts a full decade just as they allowed that crap to continue in SD just so they could get out of town with a no vote and make it look like it was SD's fault. Eff them.

Reactions: RamAirVA

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
Each year the loss becomes less.

Enjoy watching them fail.

The chargers moving exposed how much of a fraud the NFL is and how little they care about fans and tradition.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Say what you want about Mayor Kevin Faulconer, he had the best quote to all of this,

“Dean Spanos made a bad decision and he will regret it. San Diego didn’t lose the Chargers, the Chargers just lost San Diego."

Reactions: Quetzalcoatl

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Say what you want about Mayor Kevin Faulconer, he had the best quote to all of this,

“Dean Spanos made a bad decision and he will regret it. San Diego didn’t lose the Chargers, the Chargers just lost San Diego."
Prophetic. Certainly has turned out to be completely 100% correct to date.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Too bad the city of SD didn't sue Spanos like STL is suing Kroenke. Not sure they left themselves the legal leverage however. I think the dumbass City Council effed us by not writing legal protections into the lease they gave spanos the devil. They not only lost the team but the logo/colors as well in the process. They could have demanded all those protections back when they had leverage like around 2004 or so.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Too bad the city of SD didn't sue Spanos like STL is suing Kroenke. Not sure they left themselves the legal leverage however. I think the dumbass City Council effed us by not writing legal protections into the lease they gave spanos the devil. They not only lost the team but the logo/colors as well in the process. They could have demanded all those protections back when they had leverage like around 2004 or so.
Correct. They didn’t write any protections in because they saw massive $$$$$ with that land - they stood to pocket tons of cash if Soccer City passed. Too bad the voters usurped them.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
I can't be the only one feeling this way.

Since not so long after we were abandoned, I've actually felt it might be a blessing in disguise. This franchise hasn't won one Lombardi in 50+ years and isn't any closer now. They're stinking up the NFL again this year, and I find myself not only free of what was annual frustration as a fan, but kind of enjoying their failures as karma at its finest. Rivers looks like he is just about done and that likely signals a long dark period of rebuilding again.

And none of what's to come will cloud my days as it certainly would if they had stayed. Silver lining.
The silver lining for me lasted about a year. Instead of watching football on Sundays, I decided to get back into hiking and got pretty close to getting back to my fighting weight. I also got back into meditation and reading books. However, by the end of last year, constant peer pressure from friends who hadn't given up sports bars on Sundays had sucked me back into watching games. I don't pay attention to the games much because, without that hardcore rooting interest I had all my life, I have found I really don't like watching football. And, because I don't really care about the games, I find my Sundays extra filled with calories, weed, and alcohol, which means I will not be approaching my fighting weight again anytime soon.

Anyway, my longer-lasting silver lining is I have discovered I really like watching the NBA. I follow the Suns, but it isn't like I am a diehard. I am just happy watching those tall freaks do amazing things every minute or so.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015

It is the truth. Anybody who thinks paradise needs the NFL is a really unimaginative person. I went home to San Diego to visit my family last weekend and found myself in a second-story bar overlooking Pacific Beach after the rain. I watched a lot of the people go by along the pho boardwalk - not a one seemed sad that they weren't at an NFL game. In fact, all those people looked positively delighted to be walking in that NFL-less city. I didn't want to come back to Phoenix ever.