She-Li being benched

Gill Man

Inaugural SAN DIEGO Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
As soon as Tom Coughlin left that was it for the Giants. It's been pretty much straight downhill since. Wonder where Eli ends up next year? Denver? Following in big brother's footsteps?

Oh and actually he wasn't "benched" per se. He was given the option of starting and he declined because he felt it was pointless to start a game he wouldnt be finishing. I'd tend to agree with him. This McAdoo or whatever his name is seems like a real doofus for a HC. Bet he's gone soon too. Giants organization seems to have lost it's mojo.

ThunderHorse17

Lone Wolf
Apr 10, 2010
Missouri
That's sad before it's funny to hear.

I'm sticking with this league is rigged.

Does that mean ol man rivers is now the #1 player without missing a game? Who's numero 2 now?

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
"Starting just to keep the streak going...tarnishes the streak." E. Manning.

I agree and give him some respect for saying so.
Both he and Rivers have been unbelievably healthy, and I'd like to see PR get some props for durability now...
God knows there won't be much other glory as a Carson, spanos employee.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Eli has TWO Super Bowl rings.

Rivers has a starting streak.

Typical Dolt fans wanna rejoice.

Call the quarterback Shelia or Goat Brady, oh my........they have the hardware
That Spanni has never and will never bring to his “Enormous fanbase.”

LAme long before it was cool.

Chaincrusher

BoltTalker
Apr 8, 2015
Eli has TWO Super Bowl rings.

Rivers has a starting streak.

Typical Dolt fans wanna rejoice.

Call the quarterback Shelia or Goat Brady, oh my........they have the hardware
That Spanni has never and will never bring to his “Enormous fanbase.”

LAme long before it was cool.
Jim Plunkett has two Super Bowl rings and he couldn't carry Dan Fouts' jockstrap. The same holds true for Eli Manning and Philip Rivers. Eli couldn't carry Rivers' jockstrap. Being on a Super Bowl winning team does not mean that a QB is good. Super Bowl history is riddled with bad/mediocre QBs that were on winning teams.

In Eli's case, he has good longevity stats in terms of gross production due to his durability, but he has never been an elite QB. Statistically, he is actually a slightly below average QB in terms of quality of performance.

Those stats represent what he did. The rings represent what his team did.

Savage Lizard

FORMER Charger fan at 7000'
Jul 12, 2007
Big Bear Lake, CA
www.savagelizard.com
Jim Plunkett has two Super Bowl rings and he couldn't carry Dan Fouts' jockstrap. The same holds true for Eli Manning and Philip Rivers. Eli couldn't carry Rivers' jockstrap. Being on a Super Bowl winning team does not mean that a QB is good. Super Bowl history is riddled with bad/mediocre QBs that were on winning teams.

In Eli's case, he has good longevity stats in terms of gross production due to his durability, but he has never been an elite QB. Statistically, he is actually a slightly below average QB in terms of quality of performance.

Holy sh it, we agree on something!

A decent QB who happened to be on some good teams. A decent QB from a family that the NFL/media loves.

Pointyearedog

I only put idiots on ignore...
Aug 19, 2008
Golden Hill
I think that this news was more of a public service announcement, or marketing strategy for a new poster for helmet safety in sports...

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
supposed speculation re: where Eli could end up next year if not kept by the Gnats. Either Jacksonville (Coughlin connectio) or Denver. Gnats will most certainly draft a QB high,,,,,so am sure they are gonna tank the rest of the way to position themselves for that high pick QB. Casserly was speculating that they'd most assuredly take a QB. So Eli should be out although it would depend on if he's willing to mentor a kid for a year or 2. If I'm Eli I tell the Gnats to suck it and leave, why stick around for a total rebuild?

Blue Bolt

Persona Non Grata
Oct 28, 2009
Philip Rivers named AFC offensive player of the week
Posted by Josh Alper on November 29, 2017, 9:39 AM EST

The Chargers have had plenty of reasons to feel grateful for quarterback Philip Rivers over the years and they got another one on Thanksgiving.

Rivers completed 27-of-33 passes for 434 yards and three touchdowns to lead the Chargers to a 28-6 win over Dallas last Thursday. It took Rivers and L.A. a bit of time to get rolling as they managed just three points in the first 30 minutes, but he hit Hunter Henry and Tyrell Williams for third quarter touchdowns that put the Chargers on their way to a comfortable victory.

The NFL named Rivers the AFC offensive player of the week on Wednesday in recognition of that performance, which came in the Chargers’ fifth win of the year. All of those wins have come after an 0-4 start and the Chargers find themselves a game back of the Chiefs in the AFC West.

Given the opposite trajectories of the two teams over the last two months, it’s not hard to find those who believe the Chargers will wind up passing the Chiefs and Rivers will be playing a leading role in that effort.

Lancer 1

Betrayed Bolt Supporter
Jul 10, 2006
As soon as Tom Coughlin left that was it for the Giants. It's been pretty much straight downhill since. Wonder where Eli ends up next year? Denver? Following in big brother's footsteps?

Oh and actually he wasn't "benched" per se. He was given the option of starting and he declined because he felt it was pointless to start a game he wouldnt be finishing. I'd tend to agree with him. This McAdoo or whatever his name is seems like a real doofus for a HC. Bet he's gone soon too. Giants organization seems to have lost it's mojo.
"Starting just to keep the streak going...tarnishes the streak." E. Manning.

I agree and give him some respect for saying so.
Both he and Rivers have been unbelievably healthy, and I'd like to see PR get some props for durability now...
God knows there won't be much other glory as a Carson, spanos employee.
I've always been one of his harshest critics, but he has handled this difficult situation with guts & class.

Lancer 1

Betrayed Bolt Supporter
Jul 10, 2006

Agreed - despite playing in 21 fewer NFL games, Philip is tied with Eli for career touchdown passes at 334 but has a significantly higher TD percentage, passer rating and has thrown 59 fewer interceptions and has lost 7 fewer fumbles and when he takes the field this weekend while Eli sits, he will become the NFL's current Ironman as far as consecutive starts are concerned.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Well as San Diegans we were always harsh on Eli for dissing on SD in that draft. But now that the real Spanos has been revealed to us, it's easier to be objective. The guy did the right thing by not wanting to play for that man. He has TWO SB rings and countless endorsements and Philip Rivers got stuck with the booby prize. Eli did the smart thing. Now that we can see clearly just who Spanos is, which QB would want to waste a career playing for that owner? Good luck to whoever has to replace Philip......it's like rolling snake eyes to get drafted by that guy.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Agreed - despite playing in 21 fewer NFL games, Philip is tied with Eli for career touchdown passes at 334 but has a significantly higher TD percentage, passer rating and has thrown 59 fewer interceptions and has lost 7 fewer fumbles and when he takes the field this weekend while Eli sits, he will become the NFL's current Ironman as far as consecutive starts are concerned.
Oh boy...NFL Ironman....Joe Thomas of Cleveland did 10,233 snaps as a lineman. Cleveland
has yet to win a Super Bowl. Neither have the Dolts. But Sheila has two rings.
Yet Dolts have think Rivers is this or that......he's a very good player, but trophy case is as empty as a Spanos promise.

Chaincrusher

BoltTalker
Apr 8, 2015
I've always been one of his harshest critics, but he has handled this difficult situation with guts & class.
I have mixed thoughts about how Eli has handled the situation.

On the one hand, Eli has kept positive, professional and supportive of his teammates.

On the other hand, all the owner wanted was for the team to see what they had at QB because the Giants will be drafting early in the 2018 draft and they are looking at the possibility of taking a QB given Eli's age and the makeup of the 2018 QB draft class. So, the playing of a QB other than Eli has not been characterized as being due to poor performance on Eli's part. And nowhere has the team suggested that Eli would not be the QB in 2018.

Under those circumstances, the team offered Eli the chance to continue to start and keep his consecutive games played streak alive out of respect for him, but Eli kind of went into martyr mode, which had the effect of making people think that the Giants had benched Eli when Eli essentially benched himself.

So, it seems like it is actually Eli's actions that turned the situation from a simple and very understandable move on the part of the Giants into this media circus in which people seem to be under the mistaken impression that Eli was somehow disrespected when it appears that he was not.

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
PR's thoughts on this topic:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...eli-manning-benching-new-york-giants-pathetic

I have to agree. Jughead deserves better than this kind of treatment, and props to him for how he is handling it.
Strong response by Rivers. Not sure I'd have used the word "pathetic," but maybe PR felt he needed
to condemn it boldly: Through no fault of his own, PR's career will always going to be linked to Eli's.

Which makes the timing doubly harsh: Eli's humiliation :oops: comes as PR is named AFC offensive player of the week.
(something that would've delighted me in years past...and now elicits just a 'Meh.')

Reactions: ThunderHorse17

Lancer 1

Betrayed Bolt Supporter
Jul 10, 2006
Oh boy...NFL Ironman....Joe Thomas of Cleveland did 10,233 snaps as a lineman. Cleveland
has yet to win a Super Bowl. Neither have the Dolts. But Sheila has two rings.
Yet Dolts have think Rivers is this or that......he's a very good player, but trophy case is as empty as a Spanos promise.
A Superbowl win is a team accomplishment that quarterbacks often get too much credit for, which is why the QB of the winning team is usually named MVP of the game. One of the most universally respected abilities of an athlete, especially one who plays a physically demanding position like quarterback or lineman (both get hit on virtually every play that they participate in) is "availability" - being capable & dependable enough to show up and "bring it" every day, and on every play.

When you compare the head-to-head statistics of people who play the same position at the same time, you get a pretty accurate picture of which one is better and with Philip & Eli, it's as obvious as it was between Dan Fouts & Jim Plunkett, which is why Dan is enshrined in Canton despite never having even played in a Superbowl, while Jim is not despite having won 2 of them.

Lancer 1

Betrayed Bolt Supporter
Jul 10, 2006
I have mixed thoughts about how Eli has handled the situation.

On the one hand, Eli has kept positive, professional and supportive of his teammates.

On the other hand, all the owner wanted was for the team to see what they had at QB because the Giants will be drafting early in the 2018 draft and they are looking at the possibility of taking a QB given Eli's age and the makeup of the 2018 QB draft class. So, the playing of a QB other than Eli has not been characterized as being due to poor performance on Eli's part. And nowhere has the team suggested that Eli would not be the QB in 2018.

Under those circumstances, the team offered Eli the chance to continue to start and keep his consecutive games played streak alive out of respect for him, but Eli kind of went into martyr mode, which had the effect of making people think that the Giants had benched Eli when Eli essentially benched himself.

So, it seems like it is actually Eli's actions that turned the situation from a simple and very understandable move on the part of the Giants into this media circus in which people seem to be under the mistaken impression that Eli was somehow disrespected when it appears that he was not.
I respect the fact that Eli refused his coach's offer to start every game for the sake of extending his "streak", knowing that he would be replaced like in an exhibition game and not given an opportunity to try to win the game that he "started".

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
A Superbowl win is a team accomplishment that quarterbacks often get too much credit for, which is why the QB of the winning team is usually named MVP of the game. One of the most universally respected abilities of an athlete, especially one who plays a physically demanding position like quarterback or lineman (both get hit on virtually every play that they participate in) is "availability" - being capable & dependable enough to show up and "bring it" every day, and on every play.

When you compare the head-to-head statistics of people who play the same position at the same time, you get a pretty accurate picture of which one is better and with Philip & Eli, it's as obvious as it was between Dan Fouts & Jim Plunkett, which is why Dan is enshrined in Canton despite never having even played in a Superbowl, while Jim is not despite having won 2 of them.

Who is enshrined at Cantn means nothing.

Only Championships count. You notice anyone talking about ex Brown stars in 2017?
The Patriots' old, old quarterback leads the League in passing yards. But he also wins SuperBowls.
That...and not stats...is the name of the game.

The rich tradition of the Cleveland Browns boasts 16 members in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, which is the sixth-highest total league-wide. Only the Chicago Bears, Green Bay Packers, New York Giants, Pittsburgh Steelers and Washington Redskins claim more Hall of Famers.

Jim Brown Paul Brown Joe DeLamielleure
Len Ford Frank Gatski Otto Graham
Lou Groza Gene Hickerson Leroy Kelly
Dante Lavelli Mike McCormack Bobby Mitchell
Marion Motley Ozzie Newsome Paul Warfield
Bill Willis

Fouts

Aug 17, 2007
La Jolla, CA
I find it odd that they are benching, errrr She-Li voluntarily sitting out for Geno Smith, a total bust. It would be one thing if it was their 1st round pick who had been sitting and is their heir apparent, or even a late round QB from their last draft, that showed pre season potential.

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011

Only Championships count.
I truly don't understand either of these declarations (and not just because I'm not familiar with 'Cantn') :p
"Count" for what?
Football is entertainment. We celebrate the finest players. More fans know the greatness of
Dan Marino than who won Super Bowl XLI.

As a Charger fan, I was obviously frustrated by just one (bad) SB appearance and no Lombardi trophies...
but I was also realistic about what it would've meant if Nate had not choked and the team went on to
win it all after the 2009 season. My life would not have significantly changed. You listen to some fans,
and you'd think that if their team won the SB their salary would double, women would finally find their
huge bald spot "intriguing" and their 25 years of ED would magically end.

Hell, the Steelers have won SIX Lombardis and most of the poor bastards that live and die for that
(most successful) team...are still stuck in fvcking Pittsburgh!

Lancer 1

Betrayed Bolt Supporter
Jul 10, 2006

Only Championships count. You notice anyone talking about ex Brown stars in 2017?
The Patriots' old, old quarterback leads the League in passing yards. But he also wins SuperBowls.
That...and not stats...is the name of the game.

The rich tradition of the Cleveland Browns boasts 16 members in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, which is the sixth-highest total league-wide. Only the Chicago Bears, Green Bay Packers, New York Giants, Pittsburgh Steelers and Washington Redskins claim more Hall of Famers.

Jim Brown Paul Brown Joe DeLamielleure
Len Ford Frank Gatski Otto Graham
Lou Groza Gene Hickerson Leroy Kelly
Dante Lavelli Mike McCormack Bobby Mitchell
Marion Motley Ozzie Newsome Paul Warfield
Bill Willis
Says you - I say that if forced to answer truly honestly, neither Fran Tarkenton, Dan Fouts, Jim Kelly, Dan Marino or Warren Moon would trade their golden blazers for the championship of 1 mere season. It's great if you can achieve both (a title & a bust in Canton), but if you can only have 1 or the other, many would likely choose the immortality of a Hall of Fame career over the greatness (or extreme good luck) of a 1 year season title and relative mediocrity for the rest of their playing days - after all is Trent Dilfer remembered as a superior NFL quarterback to Dan Marino simply because he won his lone Superbowl appearance while Dan lost his?

Dec 29, 2015
I find it odd that they are benching, errrr She-Li voluntarily sitting out for Geno Smith, a total bust. It would be one thing if it was their 1st round pick who had been sitting and is their heir apparent, or even a late round QB from their last draft, that showed pre season potential.
The Giants are tanking to get the 2nd pick in the draft. That’s all this is. They surely know that Geno Smith isn’t the answer and the fact that he’s ahead of Davis Webb tells you all you need to know about Davis. Unfortunately, the Giants play the Raiders and we could have used another Giant win against the AFC West (their only 2 wins are against Den and KC). So thanks Giants for fucking that up.

All this talk about finding out what they have at qb is bs.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Says you - I say that if forced to answer truly honestly, neither Fran Tarkenton, Dan Fouts, Jim Kelly, Dan Marino or Warren Moon would trade their golden blazers for the championship of 1 mere season. It's great if you can achieve both (a title & a bust in Canton), but if you can only have 1 or the other, many would likely choose the immortality of a Hall of Fame career over the greatness (or extreme good luck) of a 1 year season title and relative mediocrity for the rest of their playing days - after all is Trent Dilfer remembered as a superior NFL quarterback to Dan Marino simply because he won his lone Superbowl appearance while Dan lost his?
Ask a neutral fan.....a Bears fan......how many Super Bowls have the Ravens won?.....he'd probably say...two.
And the Chargers.....Chargers? Are you kidding....none...they got wiped out once I think.

And the immorality of the Hall of Fame.....:)
From this list...which (immortal) names do you recognize?

Class of 1964
(September 6, 1964)
Jimmy Conzelman
Ed Healey
Clarke Hinkle
William Roy (Link) Lyman
Mike Michalske
Art Rooney
George Trafton

More than one?

Blitzy

Spanos Chargers Troll
May 7, 2011
North County
Strong response by Rivers. Not sure I'd have used the word "pathetic," but maybe PR felt he needed
to condemn it boldly: Through no fault of his own, PR's career will always going to be linked to Eli's.

Which makes the timing doubly harsh: Eli's humiliation :oops: comes as PR is named AFC offensive player of the week.
(something that would've delighted me in years past...and now elicits just a 'Meh.')
Sounded like foreshadowing and a booming shot across the bow from the father of 7 kids to the Spanii / Charge "top" brass.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Sounded like foreshadowing and a booming shot across the bow from the father of 7 kids to the Spanii / Charge "top" brass.
The Chargers will “move on” from Rivers with the spawn Johnnie Spanos tell how important he was and how he helped the franchise establish itself in the bosom of Los Angeles.

Assuming they are still called Chargers.

Lancer 1

Betrayed Bolt Supporter
Jul 10, 2006
Ask a neutral fan.....a Bears fan......how many Super Bowls have the Ravens won?.....he'd probably say...two.
And the Chargers.....Chargers? Are you kidding....none...they got wiped out once I think.

And the immorality of the Hall of Fame.....:)
From this list...which (immortal) names do you recognize?

Class of 1964
(September 6, 1964)
Jimmy Conzelman
Ed Healey
Clarke Hinkle
William Roy (Link) Lyman
Mike Michalske
Art Rooney
George Trafton

More than one?
This Class you referenced were all enshrined before I was even born, but virtually every fan would recognize Art Rooney's name in it- oddly enough, he was inducted long before his beloved Steelers won any one of their 4 Superbowls so his enshrinement could not have have been based on that, nor was it even considered at the time but other great things that his team had done during his lengthy ownership.

The Chargers did lose the only Superbowl they've played in so far (to a Niners team with multiple Hall Of Famers on both sides of the ball while the Chargers only had 1 - Junior Seau) but they did indeed win a treasured "championship" - an American Football League Championship in the days before the Superbowl ever existed, just sayin'.:)

Hall of Fame running backs Curtis Martin, Barry Sanders & LaDainian Tomlinson are considered 3 of the best to ever play their position, but neither of them ever won a championship - does this make them & their impressive careers somehow unworthy? It's pretty easy to suggest things like that from the comfort of your couch.

The late, great Walter Payton did win a Superbowl, but had rather pedestrian stats in and did not score a point in that game - the fact that he retired as the NFL's All Time leading rusher is why he's inducted into Canton, not the fact that he was a member of a championship team. There are alot of "SuperBowl Champion" players who won't ever get anywhere near Canton without buying a ticket, or perhaps attending to watch one of their more talented peers being inducted.