• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

    afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

    Sign Up or

    Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Shawne Merriman: Creating a Perspective

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
#1
By Forrest Overin

Shawne Merriman isn’t bashful. He makes bold statements, and makes them without a trace of arrogance. He just speaks his mind in the full belief that he’ll be able to go out on the field and back those words up with his play.

A few weeks back, Shawne made one of those comments, saying something along the lines of considering himself to be “better than Junior Seau”.

This statement rubbed some people the wrong way, because Seau is, pretty much without question, a future Hall of Famer, who played-- and STILL plays-- with a very Merriman-like intensity and passion. Junior’s fans will also point out that Seau has been doing this in the NFL for some 14 years longer than Shawne has.

When asked again about his comments, Merriman reiterated that he means no disrespect to Junior Seau, or the accomplishments of his career. He explains that he is just expressing confidence in his ability, and in the commitment he possesses to maximize his game.

http://weblog.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/cfx/2006/09/shawne_merriman_creating_a_per.html
 

boltssbbound

Well-Known Member
#2
I think the notion that Seau was not instinctive is a little ridiculous. The guy might have spent too much of his time trying to guess the snap count, but he had great instincts for a linebacker.
 

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
#3
boltssbbound said:
I think the notion that Seau was not instinctive is a little ridiculous. The guy might have spent too much of his time trying to guess the snap count, but he had great instincts for a linebacker.
Agreed. Seau was a great linebacker, and is still better than some.
 

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
#5
Trumpet_Man said:
Yeah if they are dead. :icon_mrgreen: :bolt: :foley53: :bolt:
:lol: C'mon that is not nice. He still has skills, besides remember... Old age and treachery will beat youth and vigor every time! :lol:
 

Trumpet_Man

Well-Known Member
#6
Concudan said:
:lol: C'mon that is not nice. He still has skills, besides remember... Old age and treachery will beat youth and vigor every time! :lol:
Seau is reminding me of Muhammed Ali at the end.

Dude needs to retire but their egos will not let them and then it becomes embarassing and pathetic. Junior just got fined for a late hit or a hit to the legs of a QB in the last game.
 

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
#7
Trumpet_Man said:
Seau is reminding me of Muhammed Ali at the end.

Dude needs to retire but their egos will not let them and then it becomes embarassing and pathetic. Junior just got fined for a late hit or a hit to the legs of a QB in the last game.
I do agree that he should have stayed retired.
 

BFISA

Well-Known Member
#8
If thats true, what does that say for the state of the Patriot LB Corps if he's starts??:icon_shrug: :icon_huh: :icon_mrgreen:
 

AnteaterRaider

Carpe Diem et omni Mundio
Staff member
Super Moderator
Podcaster
#9
Concudan said:
I do agree that he should have stayed retired.
brett favre needs to as well
but I like that drive by Merriman to be the best in Bolt history, i like guys whos trive to be the best at what they do, they're guys like me
 
#11
Nice article.

I would agree that it makes more sense to compare Merriman and O'Neal, than Merriman and Seau.

Man, O'Neal put up better numbers that I had remembered!

Too bad the years he played with the team were, mostly, part of such a dismal era.
 

boltssbbound

Well-Known Member
#14
Rainman said:
Nice article.

I would agree that it makes more sense to compare Merriman and O'Neal, than Merriman and Seau.

Man, O'Neal put up better numbers that I had remembered!

Too bad the years he played with the team were, mostly, part of such a dismal era.
I generally like what Forrest has to say, but comparing Merriman to O'neal makes absolutely no sense. Leslie was the classic 4-3 DE, an edge rusher on every play. Merriman is a LB. He drops into zone and covers TE and RBs 1 on 1, in addition to rushing the passer.

With today's zone blitz schemes, 4-3 ends will occasionally drop into zone, but in Leslie O'neal's era, that almost never happened.

Plus, Leslie O'neal was a selfish jerk, nothing at all like Merriman. Shawne is the leader of the defense, a team first guy who's all about winning.
 

MtlBoltsFan

Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016
#15
boltssbbound said:
I generally like what Merriman has to say, but comparing Forrest to O'Reilly makes absolutely no sense. O'Reilly was the classic 4-3 DE, an edge rusher on every play. Forrest is a LB (little b*tch). He drops into zone and goes under the covers with TE (tim edgar) 1 on 1, in addition to rushing his bum.

Plus, O'Reilly was a selfish jerk, nothing at all like Merriman. Shawne is the leader of the defense, a team first guy who's all about winning.
True..
 

Top