Shane Olivea signs $20 million extension

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

WonderSlug

Sep 1, 2005
www.boltsplanet.com
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2566866

Chargers sign OT Olivea to $20 million extension
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

For the second time in less than three months, the San Diego Chargers have addressed the long-term stability of their offensive line, signing third-year veteran right tackle Shane Olivea on Wednesday to an extension through the 2011 season, ESPN.com has learned.

The deal, which makes Olivea the sixth-highest paid right tackle in the league when the so-called "new money" is calculated, is worth $20 million and incentives could push the value to $24 million. Between bonuses and salary, Olivea, 24, will earn $8 million in the first year of the deal.

Olivea was entering the final season of the three-year, $960,250 contract he signed with the Chargers as a rookie in 2004. Without the extension, he would have been eligible for restricted free agency next spring. San Diego officials have been negotiating the extension with agent Kenny Zuckerman for several weeks.
Click on link for entire article.

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
You guys DO have faith in AJ dont you?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
Trumpet_Man said:
Oh joy...now move his ass to guard and get us a real right tackle.:bolt:
How can you question Gawdah?

Oh yea of laittle faithah!

Trumpet_Man

Feb 14, 2006
Concudan said:
How can you question Gawdah?

Oh yea of laittle faithah!
GOD did not say he wanted him at RT.

GOD just wants him on the team as I do but not at right tackle.

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
Trumpet_Man said:
GOD did not say he wanted him at RT.

GOD just wants him on the team as I do but not at right tackle.
BLASPHEMER! You shallah be struck downah!

MtlBoltsFan

Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016
Jun 27, 2006
Great signing I love it. Olivea needs to keep his head in the game for 60 mins and he will be a great anchor for the line. 20 mil that's some major $$$ for him.

WonderSlug

Sep 1, 2005
www.boltsplanet.com
I want Trumpie's (and Shammy's) take on these lines in the article:

San Diego officials are also in extension discussions with standout guard Kris Dielman.
Clearly, general manager A.J. Smith knows the value of a solid line and the importance of continuity on the blocking unit.
Olivea is a strong run blocker with fast-improving pass-protection skills.

MtlBoltsFan

Jun 27, 2006
Looks like the only place we will be upgrading with a 3-4 star vet or high draft pick is the RG spot.

AnteaterRaider

Carpe Diem et omni Mundio
Staff member
Super Moderator
Podcaster
Jan 19, 2006
San Diego, CA
Dielman: well yeah I've said they were working on it
Solid Line and Continuance: Uhhhh didn't help last year
His positive traits; yeah that's true but i still think he'd be better sliding into guard

Trumpet_Man

Feb 14, 2006
leisure said:
6th highest paid right tackle? He is getting $8 million :icon_rofl:
So that is good pay for a Guard as well (see Wahl or anyone of those dickheads).

The article just said Olivea is being paid commensurate with the 6th highest paid tackle (don't assume shit vato)

Thumper

WHS
Aug 24, 2005
www.bolttalk.com
Chargers sign OT Olivea to $20 million extension
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

For the second time in less than three months, the San Diego Chargers have addressed the long-term stability of their offensive line, signing third-year veteran right tackle Shane Olivea on Wednesday to an extension through the 2011 season, ESPN.com has learned.

The deal, which makes Olivea the sixth-highest paid right tackle in the league when the so-called "new money" is calculated, is worth $20 million and incentives could push the value to $24 million. Between bonuses and salary, Olivea, 24, will earn $8 million in the first year of the deal.

Olivea was entering the final season of the three-year, $960,250 contract he signed with the Chargers as a rookie in 2004. Without the extension, he would have been eligible for restricted free agency next spring. San Diego officials have been negotiating the extension with agent Kenny Zuckerman for several weeks.
Wow! That's a better contract than Brees was offered. :icon_eek:

Trumpet_Man

Feb 14, 2006
WonderSlug said:
I want Trumpie's (and Shammy's) take on these lines in the article:
Dielman is a keeper so far at guard. If he does not pusssout at the end of the year - it is good to go.

AJ knows the importance of a solid line because this fah-king team was almost DEAD LAST in the NFL for future dollars allocated to the offensive line. BTW: I find this offense to my fan sensibilites when LaDainian balls are shriveling up on the vine and dying.

Olivea is a marginal run blocker and even less so in his pass blocking and gets beat by the speed rushers - always or too damn often. "Fast improving pass skills" kimosabee ? I am not sure wtf that author is watching but he sounds like underoath = moron.

foober

BoltTalker
Aug 17, 2006
MtlBoltsFan said:
Looks like the only place we will be upgrading with a 3-4 star vet or high draft pick is the RG spot.
I'm guessing in a year or two it will be mzezurlizski or how ever you spell his name. He's pretty good. And in a year or two should have it down. I think they still have to find one more o-tackle next year for either good backup or to take over right tackle and move olivea to guard.

Bit by bit the o-line is getting there. Sure has taken a long time.

MtlBoltsFan

Jun 27, 2006
foober said:
I'm guessing in a year or two it will be mzezurlizski or how ever you spell his name. He's pretty good. And in a year or two should have it down. I think they still have to find one more o-tackle next year for either good backup or to take over right tackle and move olivea to guard.

Bit by bit the o-line is getting there. Sure has taken a long time.
Mrucz is good I paid attention to him at BG and I like him at Center even more than at Guard but he's versatile. He isn't the quickest guy out there and struggles with leverage sometimes but he'll be a good starter one day. He knows his assignments and competes hard. I was thinking more along the lines of getting a 350 pound road grading superstar to play RG :icon_shrug:

M

matilack

MtlBoltsFan said:
Great signing I love it. Olivea needs to keep his head in the game for 60 mins and he will be a great anchor for the line. 20 mil that's some major $$$ for him.
WOW I dont even know what to think about this, I have always like Olivea, but i think his contract is a bit to big, hes not worth that much.
AJ needs to be a little tighter with his walet, no other team would have signed Olivea to that big contract.

MtlBoltsFan

Jun 27, 2006
matilack said:
WOW I dont even know what to think about this, I have always like Olivea, but i think his contract is a bit to big, hes not worth that much.
AJ needs to be a little tighter with his walet, no other team would have signed Olivea to that big contract.
People (T-Bone) tend to forget that he's VERY young and played under a complete idiot in Carl Mauck last year. Olivea is still a kid it's important to remember that. Once he gets everything down he will be a guy you can count on to keep the QB's jersey clean and to open up some holes. Unfortunately he will never be a good downfield blocker.

Thunderstruck

BoltTalker
Aug 16, 2006
Considering Oben's contract will likely be coming off the books next year I hardly think we're overspending.

This is the benefit of responsible cap-management. Instead of going into free agency and spending $6 million or $7 million per season on a tackle we keep our own guy and spend the $3 million we save elsewhere.

Trumpet_Man

Feb 14, 2006
MtlBoltsFan said:
People (T-Bone) tend to forget that he's VERY young and played under a complete idiot in Carl Mauck last year.
He also played under one of the best in Hudson Houck as well ....... and still did not impress me.