SDUT: Team Will Open Camp Without Top Draft Pick -- Again

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

WonderSlug

Sep 1, 2005
www.boltsplanet.com
http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20060725-9999-1s25chnotes.html

By Kevin Acee
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
July 25, 2006

Antonio Cromartie won't be on time, after all. And he's the only one.

The Chargers reached an agreement on a four-year contract with second-round pick Marcus McNeill last night. But despite previous optimism, they will begin workouts with rookies and select veterans today without their top draft pick.

“I feel confident how negotiations have gone,” said Jason Fletcher, Cromartie's agent. “It's just we had a deadline, meaning today, and we weren't able to meet it. Things are still positive. We're both negotiating to get to some fair numbers.”
Rookies, quarterbacks and veterans who were injured at the end of last season or had offseason surgery practice this morning and this afternoon.

Having finalized deals by yesterday morning with all but the top two picks, third-round selection Charlie Whitehurst and sixth-round pick Kurt Smith, the Chargers signed the latter two by late afternoon. They finished McNeill's deal around 8 p.m.

As Whitehurst, who figures to be the team's third quarterback, headed to the executive offices to sign his contract, he was nonchalant.

“I knew it was going to happen,” he said. “I'm a third-round pick. I don't think it's good for a third-rounder to hold out.”

No, but the Chargers are used to having draft picks report late.

Barring an early coming-together this morning, Cromartie will become the ninth first-round pick out of the Chargers' past 12 to miss at least some practice time.

Their last first-round pick to report on time was Sammy Davis in 2003.
Click on link for complete article.

WonderSlug

Sep 1, 2005
www.boltsplanet.com
Also this:

Oben uncertainty

Roman Oben is not ready to practice, and there remains uncertainty as to his availability for the beginning of the season.

Oben still has a considerable amount of surgically implanted hardware in
his left foot from the second of his two offseason procedures, and he can't yet run.

WonderSlug

Sep 1, 2005
www.boltsplanet.com
Jue and Jamal won't be there just yet either.

Two other veterans who had surgery this offseason will not practice immediately – safety Bhawoh Jue (knee) and nose tackle Jamal Williams (knee). Williams is close to being ready. Jue's status will be better known in the coming weeks.

Reactions: Shamrock

Shamrock

Jun 18, 2006
“I feel confident how negotiations have gone,” said Jason Fletcher, Cromartie's agent. “It's just we had a deadline, meaning today, and we weren't able to meet it. Things are still positive. We're both negotiating to get to some fair numbers.”
I'm not too worried about it. When an agent says "things are positive" that is a good sign.

wrbanwal

Dec 27, 2005
I don't think he would start right away anyways.

but, Oben, now that sucks. I think AJ dropped teh ball on this one. they needed to pick up at least one vet to throw to the dogs while Roman healed up.

AnteaterRaider

Carpe Diem et omni Mundio
Staff member
Super Moderator
Podcaster
Jan 19, 2006
San Diego, CA
wrbanwal said:
I don't think he would start right away anyways.

but, Oben, now that sucks. I think AJ dropped teh ball on this one. they needed to pick up at least one vet to throw to the dogs while Roman healed up.

Leander Jordan? :glare: :icon_eyes: