• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

SDUT: Steeg troubled by Dallas fans

SDRay

FU Spanos and Dundon
Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
I commented on this issue on my latest podcast http://bolttalk.com/?p=593. Bolt fans, we need to make Qualcomm OUR house! We went 12-4 last year, made the playoffs, and we still can't keep fans of visiting teams out of our stadium! That's pathetic. :x

By Kevin Acee
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

September 13, 2005

As Dallas quarterback Drew Bledsoe knelt at game's end and the players from both sidelines began to mill toward midfield, the chant intensified.

"Cowboys! Cowboys! Cowboys!"

It was not the first time there had been those out-of-place noises during Sunday's game at Qualcomm Stadium. When Quentin Jammer's interception was called back, a good number of cheers mixed with the jeers. Same thing when the Chargers failed to convert a third down or when the Cowboys scored.

"I was kind of surprised," Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson said.

It did not go unnoticed in the executive suite either.

"Somehow we've got to come up with some way to stop it," said Chief Operating Officer Jim Steeg. "One of the challenges is how can we on this side of the building do a better job to help the other side win games."

It was troubling to Steeg that even at the home opener, with the Chargers coming off a 12-4 season and for a game that was part of a multigame package, so many opposing fans (15,000-plus by his estimate) would show. And that many of them would be sitting in Chargers' season-ticket holders seats was even more disconcerting.

"We've got to instill pride in our fans," Steeg said.

The Pittsburgh Steelers play here on Oct. 10, and they have a large national following. Steeg was not ready to divulge possible remedies, but he said, "We've got to do something. I'm kicking around all sorts of ideas."

T10

BoltTalker
ChargerRay said:
Bolt fans, we need to make Qualcomm OUR house! We went 12-4 last year, made the playoffs, and we still can't keep fans of visiting teams out of our stadium! That's pathetic. :x
I couldn't agree more! I'm lucky that where I sit I'm pretty much surrounded by Chargers season ticket holders like myself but everywhere else I looked, there were a lot of Dallas fans. And you gotta hand it to them, because they come out to support their team. We need to be the same way especially in OUR HOUSE!!! We need to stop being lazy and sitting on our butts just SAYING we're fans; we need to prove it! We need to stop being greedy selling our seats to the opposition! The last time I checked, the Q was in San Diego and they're called the SAN DIEGO CHARGERS! HELL-LLO!!!!
:explode: