• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Sapp: Put game in Rivers' hands

SDRay

Let's go Fleet! #BoatUp #AnchorDown
Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
http://www.insidebayarea.com/sports/ci_4293555

Raiders know to beat San Diego they have to stop Tomlinson
By Bill Soliday, STAFF WRITER

ALAMEDA — The last five times the Raiders have met the San Diego Chargers, the word "close" rarely came up.

The Bolts won five straight times and have more than doubled the score on Oakland. The numbers are ugly:

-A total of 147 points for San Diego, 69 for Oakland.

-San Diego has scored 21 points or more every time.

-Oakland has never scored more than 17.

Never in the 92-game history of this intrastate rivalry have the Chargers beaten the Raiders that many times in succession. They have only won as many as four in a row once (1961-62).

These, of course, have not been normal times in Oakland. The Raiders, once the scourge of the AFC West, are 2-16 over the past three years in division games.

Which brings us to Monday night when the Raiders and Chargers kick off their 2006 season at McAfee Coliseum. The time is different for a Monday kickoff (7:15), and the time has come for the Raiders to turn back the clock and repudiate the trend.

Raiders defensive tackle Warren Sapp has a plan, one quite simple yet not so easily accomplished:

Stop LaDainian Tomlinson and force Drew Brees' replacement, the inexperienced Philip Rivers, to win the game from the quarterback position.

i understand Chokeland thinking that
But after a few long bombs theyll reallize the are F'd
i see a lot of long bombs and pass interfeirance calls
w/LT getting the ball at 1st and goal w/1 yard to go

boltssbbound

MtlBoltsFan said:
Why do I smell a 60 yard screen pass to Manu on a house blitz on 3rd down??
I agree except you forgot how Huff will try and tackle Manu around the shoulders after five years. Manu will shrug him off and go for 55 more. :icon_banana:

Trumpet_Man

boltssbbound said:
I agree except you forgot how Huff will try and tackle Manu around the shoulders after five years. Manu will shrug him off and go for 55 more. :icon_banana:
When I saw him on that slant and rumble for 40 yards or whatever - I was busting up laughing seeing a basic lineman running with the ball.....hey the dude can move - not a world beater but he has some zoom zoom.....

MtlBoltsFan

Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016
boltssbbound said:
Yah Huff was an anklebiter in college I wonder if he has refined his technique. Probably not. Stuart Schweigert is a ghost it's 11 vs. 10

boltssbbound

MtlBoltsFan said:
Yah Huff was an anklebiter in college I wonder if he has refined his technique. Probably not. Stuart Schweigert is a ghost it's 11 vs. 10
You should have heard the radio commercials featuring Stuart Schweigert. Some Men's Warehouse wanna be was advertising an appearance with "Raiders' superstar Stuart Schweigert."

I nearly wrapped my car around a light pole I was laughing so hard.:icon_banana: :icon_rofl: :icon_banana:

exodus

Up here, things are pretty quiet about this game. There's a kind of nervous vibe going around. I work with some raider fans, and they are not saying a single word.

Trumpet_Man

exodus said:
Up here, things are pretty quiet about this game. There's a kind of nervous vibe going around. I work with some raider fans, and they are not saying a single word.

It is called "sphincter factor" :yes:

They are :frightened:

AnteaterRaider

Carpe Diem et omni Mundio
Staff member
Super Moderator
Podcaster
Dear Warren Sapp
Thanks, I'll do just that!
Signed
Rivers, Jackson, Gates, McCardell and Parker

Dear Sapp,
Thanks ya jackass!
Signed
The Raiders secondary

MtlBoltsFan

Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016
LOL look what Donnie said about Larry Johnson:

"He is big, strong and powerful. You can't come off a block and throw your arm out to tackle that guy. He'll break your arm off."
--Donnie Edwards, Chargers linebacker

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
MtlBoltsFan said:
LOL look what Donnie said about Larry Johnson:

"He is big, strong and powerful. You can't come off a block and throw your arm out to tackle that guy. He'll break your arm off."
--Donnie Edwards, Chargers linebacker
So Donna admits that he is an arm tackler.:tdown:

exodus

Trumpet_Man said:
It is called "sphincter factor" :yes:

They are :frightened:
It's true. They know what's coming and they can't even talk themselves up about it. Even the niner fans are more confidant around here.

Monkey Boy

I know coming from a Raider the comment doesn't mean much, but this is exactly what every team is going to do until Rivers consistently makes them pay. Fortunately this offense is perfectly set-up for such a defensive strategy. With two very good TEs and LT who's as good a receiver as RB, it's going to be difficult to stack the box.

All they have to do is wait for duh Raiders to stack the box, then put LT in motion to split out as a WR. Without having the personnel to cover him, Rivers should be able to pick apart the secondary. An alternate play would be to have Gates start to block and slip off for an out route. There are several other plays that can be done, but just these two would force the defense to change things quickly. Then start running LT at down their throats. Stopping him is much harder than just stacking the box.