San Diego makes it's final offer to the Chargers

AnteaterRaider

Carpe Diem et omni Mundio
Staff member
Super Moderator
Podcaster
Jan 19, 2006
San Diego, CA
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/columnists/kevin-acee/sd-sp-charupdate-0103-story.html

Key Part:

The City of San Diego, along with the county and San Diego State, has made what the Chargers believe is their final collective offer. Significantly, the Chargers believe that money is real, as opposed to the funding proposed early last year.

However, the $375 million those entities say they can provide, is more than $100 million less than what the Chargers were seeking. Thus, the message being delivered is that the team’s fate hinges on what further support the NFL can provide.

The league last year pledged an additional $100 million toward construction of a stadium in San Diego, bringing the NFL’s total commitment to $300 million. The Chargers were to contribute $350 million in their Measure C proposal, a sum that included the sale of naming rights and seat licenses.

A projected total contribution of $1.025 billion is as much as $175 million less than the team’s estimates of the cost of a stadium in Mission Valley.

powayslugger

No longer a fan- FU Spanos
Dec 14, 2006
Spanos needs to kick in some more $$$. He's been a cheap b@stard the entire time he's owned the team. Getting bucks with the seat guarantee for all those years- he needs to put some of that "free" cash to work in building a new stadium. I'm hoping this "final" offer keeps the bolts in town.

Savage Lizard

FORMER Charger fan at 7000'
Jul 12, 2007
Big Bear Lake, CA
www.savagelizard.com
Spanos needs to kick in some more $$$. He's been a cheap b@stard the entire time he's owned the team. Getting bucks with the seat guarantee for all those years- he needs to put some of that "free" cash to work in building a new stadium. I'm hoping this "final" offer keeps the bolts in town.
The problem is that he is one of the poorest owners in the league. Most of his net worth is tied up in the team. He doesn't have a lot of cash laying around to kick in.

powayslugger

No longer a fan- FU Spanos
Dec 14, 2006
The problem is that he is one of the poorest owners in the league. Most of his net worth is tied up in the team. He doesn't have a lot of cash laying around to kick in.
Well then maybe he takes out a loan then. He wants the new stadium, he owns the team, he needs skin in the game. Winning teams pack a stadium... losers don't. We see how Moores screwed the pooch once he got us to buy him a new stadium. The pads have pretty much sucked since 1998.

Dec 29, 2015
This is a very simplistic and surface analysis. You must not have given it much thought. Sounds like something a headline reader would say

Jesse Kemp

BoltTalker
Dec 25, 2013
There were rumors that Jerry Jones was doing work behind closed doors at the owners meeting to try and figure out how to make it work in SD. Perhaps the NFL will come through with enough to make it work. At this point, I'm not counting on it.

AnteaterRaider

Staff member
Super Moderator
Podcaster
Jan 19, 2006
San Diego, CA
Basically the Spanos family is offering to chip in around $350 million (assuming the Measure C rules)
NFL offered $100 million
The City/County/SDSU will put in $375 million and that's it period

Total Expected Cost of Stadium: $1 billion
Current Money $825 million

The big difference is, according to reports, the NFL and Chargers are convinced this is a real offer with real money behind it.

I have to imagine the NFL/Spanos will be able to come up with another $125 million

Reactions: Dublin Bolt

The LBC

I'm a Real Prick
Jun 28, 2010
Long Beach, CA
twitter.com
There were rumors that Jerry Jones was doing work behind closed doors at the owners meeting to try and figure out how to make it work in SD. Perhaps the NFL will come through with enough to make it work. At this point, I'm not counting on it.
That's in line with what I've been hearing my (granted extremely limited) interactions with Annie, Rogan, and some of the others.

Dean isn't as well liked among the true inner circle/power-group of the ownership as he thought he was (or thinks he is). Kroenke was heavily favored over him much of the way in the LA relocation matter because Kroenke was literally willing to put his money where his mouth was; footing to bill to build facilities and studios that NFL Network would be able to inhabit as a base of operations in the nation's 2nd largest media-market. It sounds like flight of fancy, but if Dean were to try and pull a Frontiere (i.e. an actual "Major League" type situation where he intentionally sabotaged the team in order to drive away local funding and support), I've heard enough from folks I trust to think that the powers-that-be within the NFL owners might actually consider setting a new precedent of "no confidence" voting Dean and trying to Donald Sterling him.

This is an elite old-boys club and Dean and his sons have done quite a bit to milk that advantages afforded them by membership, but really haven't done much in the way of actually giving back - and if you don't give back, you're at the back of the line in terms of any sort of special dispensations or considerations.

PosterFormerlyKnownAsCBF

Jun 25, 2006
Unless it's already been factored in, naming rights could bring $50 million. Qualcomm paid $20 million years ago.

PSL's will be a contributing factor too.

Cheapseats

The fight for LA is over....LA lost.
Jul 24, 2008
Beautiful, downtown Ramona, CA
Basically the Spanos family is offering to chip in around $350 million (assuming the Measure C rules)
NFL offered $100 million

The big difference is, according to reports, the NFL and Chargers are convinced this is a real offer with real money behind it.

I have to imagine the NFL/Spanos will be able to come up with another $125 million
There is also the $200 million "G4" loan that the NFL has offered up in the past that might make up the difference.

Dec 29, 2015
NFL offered $100 million

It's actually:
$375mm City and Sdsu
$100mm NFL
$200mm loan from NFL
$350mm Spanos including naming rights and PSL's
$1.025bb--total

But they expect costs to be $1.2bb and Spanos would be on the hook for $550mm including. Naming rights, psl's and the loan.

As a comparison it will cost them $650mm to move to LA. But the franchise will grow in value on paper.

So stay in your own stadium in San Diego for $550mm at least 1/2 of which should be paid for by fans and corporate sponsors for psl's and naming rights so $275mm roughly. Or move for $650mm

San Diego is getting more relaistic

SuperCharger92

Winners Win
Sep 25, 2011
Boston, Massachuesetts
Jim Trotter has been tweeting some of his insights..

He's saying Chargers to LA isn't meant to pressure SD, it is meant to pressure NFL, who wants the team to stay put. Last year, the NFL could block SD's move to LA, but they do not hold that power this year and if they want the team to stay put, they'll have to kick in more $, since the Chargers don't believe there is enough public money to make the deal work.

I also saw a quoted tweet he retweeted saying each team would put up $1m over 10 years and would then give the Chargers an additional $320m to work with.

Last edited:

AnteaterRaider

Staff member
Super Moderator
Podcaster
Jan 19, 2006
San Diego, CA
It's actually:
$375mm City and Sdsu
$100mm NFL
$200mm loan from NFL
$1.025bb--total

But they expect costs to be $1.2bb and Spanos would be on the hook for $550mm including. Naming rights, psl's and the loan.

As a comparison it will cost them $650mm to move to LA. But the franchise will grow in value on paper.

So stay in your own stadium in San Diego for $550mm at least 1/2 of which should be paid for by fans and corporate sponsors for psl's and naming rights so $275mm roughly. Or move for $650mm

Thanks for correcting me on the numbers there, you're right on it. And as mentioned the big difference vs. 2015 is that the NFL and even Spanos supposedly believe that this is a real offer with real backing behind the $$ amount. Basically from that there's a legitimate hope.

Dec 29, 2015
Thanks for correcting me on the numbers there, you're right on it. And as mentioned the big difference vs. 2015 is that the NFL and even Spanos supposedly believe that this is a real offer with real backing behind the $$ amount. Basically from that there's a legitimate hope.
It looks like a deal can be made. It never made sense to me that sdsu wasn't part of the stadium effort because they need a place to play as well and if they have aspirations for their program having a new stadium would help

ETicket

Oct 24, 2006
... As a comparison it will cost them $650mm to move to LA. But the franchise will grow in value on paper...
I don't get this. It must be posturing, right? How could you be willing to pay 650 million (plus all other associated costs of moving an NFL team) to share a stadium, but only 350 million toward a new one in SD?

Dec 29, 2015
I don't get this. It must be posturing, right? How could you be willing to pay 650 million (plus all other associated costs of moving an NFL team) to share a stadium, but only 350 million toward a new one in SD?
If you believe the value of your team will increase by $1bb by moving, then the investment makes some sense, i e you have a $350mm paper gain after the relocation fee.

But even if it costs them $350mm to stay which is a little high because they have naming rights to sell and psl's, you might still be better off financially in San Diego if the new stadium has enough premium seating and unshared revenue to grow profits each year.

Spanos may just be driving the bargain as far as they can to stay

jackfrost

Feb 24, 2007
That's in line with what I've been hearing my (granted extremely limited) interactions with Annie, Rogan, and some of the others.

Dean isn't as well liked among the true inner circle/power-group of the ownership as he thought he was (or thinks he is). Kroenke was heavily favored over him much of the way in the LA relocation matter because Kroenke was literally willing to put his money where his mouth was; footing to bill to build facilities and studios that NFL Network would be able to inhabit as a base of operations in the nation's 2nd largest media-market. It sounds like flight of fancy, but if Dean were to try and pull a Frontiere (i.e. an actual "Major League" type situation where he intentionally sabotaged the team in order to drive away local funding and support), I've heard enough from folks I trust to think that the powers-that-be within the NFL owners might actually consider setting a new precedent of "no confidence" voting Dean and trying to Donald Sterling him.

This is an elite old-boys club and Dean and his sons have done quite a bit to milk that advantages afforded them by membership, but really haven't done much in the way of actually giving back - and if you don't give back, you're at the back of the line in terms of any sort of special dispensations or considerations.
Oh damn, that right there makes some of the most common sense logic I've heard in many a moon, nice work LBC.

Makes total sense for the other 31 owners to get involved if you think about it and if there's even the slightest of hints that a "Donald Sterling" (love that term by the way) could happen to rid us of this scourge that is the Spanos slime, I'm all for it.

Unless they are somehow ousted, everything else, be it coaches, players, stadiums, the whole kit & caboodle actually, is doomed under the current leadership, I truly hope this is a distinct possibility and that the San Diego Chargers survive for many years to come.

Dublin Bolt

BoltTalker
Aug 12, 2006
Dublin, Oul Sod.
2017 to do list.

1. Fire McCoward - check ✔
2. Stay in SD - can be done... yet to be done.
3. Hire fire breathing HC - praying this will be done, NO to Mike softie Smith.
4. Light said fire under Liuget's arse - must be done.
5. Cut/lose Fluker, Te'o, Flowers, Lissemore, Lambo, Tourek, Stevie Johnson and Lowery.

Bring back Square, Woodhead, Addae (only on the cheap) and Windt......... and Ingram (only if team/cap friendly deal, do not overpay).

I Maze I

BoltTalker
Aug 10, 2016
2017 to do list.

1. Fire McCoward - check ✔
2. Stay in SD - can be done... yet to be done.
3. Hire fire breathing HC - praying this will be done, NO to Mike softie Smith.
4. Light said fire under Liuget's arse - must be done.
5. Cut/lose Fluker, Te'o, Flowers, Lissemore, Lambo, Tourek, Stevie Johnson and Lowery.

Bring back Square, Woodhead, Addae (only on the cheap) and Windt......... and Ingram (only if team/cap friendly deal, do not overpay).
Why Lowery? He's been a solid starter for us, and good value at his contract.

Stuckey is the one who needs to go.

I Maze I

BoltTalker
Aug 10, 2016
It's actually:
$375mm City and Sdsu
$100mm NFL
$200mm loan from NFL
$1.025bb--total

Don't forget the NFL approved a fincancing of the relocation fee, so the Chargers aren't paying out $650mm of equity right away.

It is encouraging that their all in basis seems similar. Though one is a larger market, they would have much less of the market share as compared to SD.

I wonder what else the "final offer" included, I.e. Land lease and development rights from the press release.

woodeye

Aug 6, 2016
San Jose'
Why Lowery? He's been a solid starter for us, and good value at his contract.

Stuckey is the one who needs to go.
Agree and disagree.

Stuckey is valuable as ST Captain and barely useful as S.

Lowery needs to stay for a while, even if we take, say Hooker.

I am leaning toward a particular developmental S, so there's that.

I Maze I

BoltTalker
Aug 10, 2016
Agree and disagree.

Stuckey is valuable as ST Captain and barely useful as S.

Lowery needs to stay for a while, even if we take, say Hooker.

I am leaning toward a particular developmental S, so there's that.
I like him as an individual, seems like a really good guy. But his cap hit is over $3m next year... I can't see the team keeping him at that number.

I mean, he rarely ever sees the field on defense, and honestly I don't see him making nearly enough plays on ST to justify that number, but that's just my two cents.

HollywoodLeo

Mar 13, 2006
Well then maybe he takes out a loan then.
Yeah. That worked out great when Jeffery Moorad tried to buy the Padres.

No thanks. I'd rather they move to LA and be able to afford to pay the players if that's the only way they can do it.

jackfrost

Feb 24, 2007
Stuckey can go too....... forgot about him... we can upgrade on Lowery bigtime imho.
I didn't have the heart to reply directly to "I amaze myself" ....... Lowery-Solid starter ! :eek:

Yep agree, Stuckey's easy pay days need to end too, it's not like he is the second coming of The Mayor after all. .... :roflmao:

Blue Bolt

Persona Non Grata
Oct 28, 2009
Cowboys set franchise attendance record

The Cowboys are America’s Team. They also are Dallas’s team.

Via SportsBusiness Daily, the Cowboys set a franchise attendance record with 92,540 fans per game in 2016. In 2015, a season that ended with a 4-12 record, the Cowboys drew an average of 91,459 per game.

The Rams saw a huge gain after their move from St. Louis to Los Angeles, with a boost from 52,403 at the Edward Jones Dome in 2015 to 83,165 at the Coliseum. In Minnesota, a move from a college stadium to a new dome also resulted in a jump, from 52,430 to 66,786 per game.

Several playoff teams saw a drop in attendance, with the Chiefs down from 75,279 to 73,328 per game. The Dolphins also dropped, from 67,194 to 65,513 (their renovated stadium resulted in a reduced capacity). The Steelers saw a slight decline, from 64,357 to 64,313.

The biggest drop happened in San Diego, where the average attendance of 66,773 fell to 57,025. That doesn’t bode well for the team staying in San Diego without a clear and permanent stadium solution.

In the NFC, the biggest reduction happened in Chicago, where a 3-13 season saw the average attendance drop from 62,036 per game than 60,369.

HollywoodLeo

Mar 13, 2006
I'm pretty sure anybody with half a brain is going to expect attendance to drop with all of the dynamics that surrounded this season and is therefore not going to let that affect any decisions on the future.