Same Old Deanos: Melvin Gordon demands trade

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Smart man. The Deanos reportedly have a shitty OL coming into the season and he would prefer to get paid if he’s going to get killed.

Reactions: Concudan

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
So Spanos........he should demand a trade to the Rams lmao

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Smart man. The Deanos reportedly have a shitty OL coming into the season and he would prefer to get paid if he’s going to get killed.
He really should demand they pay him an amount that will be completely out of their range and stick to it. He should get the hell out of there. Crappy stadium this year, crappy O line, dumbest owner in all of football, no fan support in LA, just leave already. Do what phil was too stupid to do.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
He really should demand they pay him an amount that will be completely out of their range and stick to it. He should get the hell out of there. Crappy stadium this year, crappy O line, dumbest owner in all of football, no fan support in LA, just leave already. Do what phil was too stupid to do.
As a running back his shelf life is so much shorter than a QB, so he is absolutely doing the right thing given how Spenis has historically treated his players like pieces of expendable meat.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
As a running back his shelf life is so much shorter than a QB, so he is absolutely doing the right thing given how Spenis has historically treated his players like pieces of expendable meat.
The other thing that I thought of was something that sort of slipped thru the cracks after it happened. His mom and he had an incident at the SB with "dope" Allen, when his mom had a fit how he was conducting himself and cheating on his wife. I'm wondering if there's still fallout and bad feelings between the 2 re: that incident. Hope so LOL. I hope that might be influencing MG to ultimately demand a trade, just make an unrealistic demand and get the hell out of there and that shithole. Damn I'm glad that team left town because of who the owner is personally as an individual (ass hole) and as in incompetent business man and owner (dumbass). We don't have to put up with this kind of crap anymore, secondrate team constantly frustrating and embarrasing the fanbase. Gawd that got old and stale in a hurry. And dumbass wonders why he couldn't get a vote passed as he tried to shirk his fiscal responsibilities once again LOL. Different city, same results.

SDRay

#GoIrish #Aztecs #SDGulls #Raiders #THFC #RipCity
Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
Jun 20, 2005
Chula Vista, CA
www.afsportsforum.com
Let's see if Spanos really values Gordon. Rivers also in the final year of his deal.

Melvin Gordon will demand trade without new deal

Melvin Gordon wants a new contract. The Los Angeles Chargers running back is preparing to hold out and demand a trade if he doesn't get one soon.

Gordon informed the Chargers that unless he receives a new contract, he will demand a trade and will not report to training camp, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported.

ESPN first reported the news.

Chargers veterans report to training camp on July 24.

Gordon would be subject to fines of up to $40,000 for each day missed if he does not report, per the collective bargaining agreement.

Damarius Bilbo, one of the agents that reps Gordon, told NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport that the running back is serious about holding out.

"He's very serious," Bilbo said. "He's worked his butt off and the fifth-year option is a result of where he was drafted. It's what it is. But if we'd gotten a respectable offer, we wouldn't be here. But he felt disrespected. He's very serious."

Gordon is entering the fifth and final year of his rookie contract, set to earn $5.6 million. He wants the security that comes with guaranteed money on a long-term deal. His 2019 salary is the 11th highest among running backs for this season. The 26-year-old likely looks at the list and sees a whole lot of backs used less than himself and who aren't as vital to a team's offensive operation getting paid more.

"We received an offer -- talks had been dead -- but we received an offer that wasn't a fair offer based on what Melvin has done, where he was drafted, and how he's performed, making two of the last four Pro Bowls," Bilbo said. "It was disrespectful."

The do-it-all back has been a keystone piece of the Chargers offense since his second year in the league, compiling more than 1,300 scrimmage yards each of the past three seasons, with 38 total touchdowns. Gordon proved his worth to the L.A. offense last season while dealing with knee issues. The Chargers offense wasn't the same without the bruising back at full threat-level.

The 2015 first-round pick skipped most of the offseason workouts, but attended mandatory minicamp in June, where he said "I don't know," when asked if he'd hold out of training camp without a new contract.

It's conceivable a holdout could stretch into the regular season.

"We'll cross that bridge when we get there," Bilbo told Rapoport when asked if he'd sit out regular-season games. "If Melvin is not paid fairly, he will want to be traded."

It's possible the situation across town with Todd Gurley's knee could give the Chargers pause to pay Gordon. The Rams handed Gurley a pile of money and now are dealing with a back that could have chronic knee issues. Given Gordon's injury history, the Chargers might be reticent to hand their back a ton of guarantees.

Gordon addressed those concerns during June minicamp:

"It's an issue with everybody else," Gordon said. "But I know my value. I know what I bring to this team, and I'm sticking with that. Todd's paid, so Todd don't care what anybody says right now -- him or David Johnson -- they can say what they want to say. They signed the dotted line.

"But unfortunately I haven't yet, so I've got to take the heat for some of the stuff that they're going through. But I'm not them, and like I said, I know my value."

The dual-threat back knows his value. He's willing to hold out and demand a trade to someone who will compensate him as such, if the Chargers won't.

Not having Gordon would be a massive blow to the L.A. offense, one that looks poised to compete for a deep playoff run. But paying running backs in 2019 can be a precarious proposition for NFL teams.

Gordon's only leverage to get the deal he desires is to withhold his services. The running back is preparing to do so.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
1. “Charger fans” response is typical. “He's average...trade him to Buffalo...”. Years and years of incompetence.
2. Smart move, Gordon.
3. Rivers, your agent had better be listening,
4. Wait till next year, Bosa (esp. if he has a great year) will do the same. $15 mill while all others of your grade are getting $23 mill? No brainner.
5. I suspect MG knows they won't resign him, so do it this year. Ditto for Bosa in 2020.
6. Great news.

No. 15 pick Melvin Gordon, RB, Los Angeles Chargers: Picked up. The Chargers jumped at the chance to keep their workhorse back for another season at a rate of $5.605 million -- less than the annual value of 2018 No. 2 pick Saquon Barkley (expected to be around $7.8 million). Gordon has improved his value in the passing game each year and has become a touchdown maker (18 rushing TDs the past two seasons).

Last edited:

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Bosa too.
Oh u KNOW bosa isn’t gonna stay in that organization not just because they won’t pay him what he’s worth but mainly because he will want endorsements or to live closer to home, and he will want a big time fanbase.that was a given from his first holdout.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
More

Damn clear why Gordon should sit out. The loss of that salary can be made up easily. Fines, no big deal. It's a new world, a
Le'von Bell world.

The option for top-ten picks is set at an amount equal to the salary of the Transition Tender (set in Article 10, Section 4 of the CBA) for the player’s fourth contract year. This salary is calculated, to put it simply, by finding the average of the top ten highest Prior Year Salaries for players at the same position. Positions are defined by where a player spent the most plays during the previous season (Sec. 7, (a), 31), unless you ask Jimmy Graham.

For players selected between 11th and 32nd in the draft, the same calculation is used to compute their salaries. The difference lies in what is averaged; rather than the top ten, the 3rd-25th highest Prior Year Salaries for the player’s position will be used.

ThunderHorse17

Lone Wolf
Apr 10, 2010
Missouri
What is this ownership thinking? They really have done an amazing job of turning the charger name and team into a laughing stock of bad management.

When I heard this situation I told the guy good on mg3. He is worth top 10 money if only for 3-4 years.

I also brought up Rivers and how they seem to be dealing with him or rather not dealing at all. And I would read into it that Rivers is more likely to be traded to a team that gives him 3-4 more years vs this LAme team doing the same.

Granted I would bet rivers retires short of his potential career length for family. Not at all like Tom.

Oh and FUdean

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
I think the Spanni are tight on the money. Plus, they would like to spend 89 percent tops of the cap space to carry money ove.
If Rivers is smart he should get $30 million+ a year now and next year, and next year Bosa will want an Aaron Donald money-extension. If in 2020, they're drawing 27,000...even 32,000 to the new stadium.....it's going to get ugly.

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
I think the Spanni are tight on the money. Plus, they would like to spend 89 percent tops of the cap space to carry money ove.
If Rivers is smart he should get $30 million+ a year now and next year, and next year Bosa will want an Aaron Donald money-extension. If in 2020, they're drawing 27,000...even 32,000 to the new stadium.....it's going to get ugly.
yes sir

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
Good for Melvin!
A bunch of 'knowledgeable' Chargers fans called him a waste of a draft pick when he was taken, lemming along after Bolts From the Blue who typically hate each and every pick the Chargers ever make.

The Chargers may call MG's bluff, but I hope he holds out, ofer the last 3 years he is a top 3 or 4 RB in the league.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Here's the 2019 franchise nfl salaries for a guide

QB: $24,865,000
RB: $11,214,000
WR: $16,787,000
TE: $10,387,000
OL: $14,067,000
DE: $17,128,000
DT: $15,209,000
LB: $15,443,000
CB: $16,022,000
S: $11,150,000
K/P: $4,971,000

With $10.9 million in cap space....Rivers now at $23 million, say he agrees to $30 million....that's plus $7 million.....now MG goes from $5.5 million to say $11 million.....that's. Plus $4.5 million.....that's $11.5 million right there.

Two over paid Chargers are Ingram at $19 million per year and Allen at $10 million per year.

I'd low ball Rivers.

EDITED: One previous story...
HOUSTON TEXANS: Melvin Gordon, RB, Chargers. The Texans made a concerted effort to upgrade the protection around quarterback Deshaun Watson, who was sacked a league-high 62 times last season, during the draft. Establishing a more consistent running game might also help temper their opponents' aggression. Sure, Lamar Miller has shown flashes as the team's RB1, but the veteran hasn't cracked the 1,000-yard mark in either of the past two seasons, and his relatively paltry total of 100-yard games during that span (four) certainly doesn't keep opposing defensive coordinators up at night. Gordon, who is entering the final year of his rookie contract, has been negotiating with the Chargers, but if talks break down, maybe the Texans should knock on L.A.'s door in an attempt to upgrade a running game that needs some more juice.

Last edited:

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
Rumors are prescott is going to get 30 mil a year.

Rivers needs to holdout for 40 mil a year with at least 75% guaranteed.

He better do it now before the season starts or he loses leverage.

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006

I doubt Rivers will hold out for a blockbuster deal. He has reworked his contract multiple times to allow the Chargers to have more room under the cap.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017

I think his foot dragging might be agent's planning. Wait to see how Prescott and others fared, then set the terms and demands. If he plays out 2019, he becomes an unresisted free agent. I think his agent knows that.

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
I doubt Rivers will hold out for a blockbuster deal. He has reworked his contract multiple times to allow the Chargers to have more room under the cap.
I don’t think so this time.

He wants max value trust me.

He will get near 40 mil.

For rivers

It’s

Faith
Family
Football

In that order, he will want max dollars cause it’s his last contract.

wrbanwal

Dec 27, 2005
why would phil want more or even consider playing somewhere else. the dude has made hundreds of millions off the fudeans. he's got it made