Rocky Long stepping down, Brady Hoke to take over

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
I didn’t Like the way hoke left either. It was chicken shit, but he told the admin that the only job he would leave for is Michigan. At 61, he is too old to be a hot candidate at a big time school. Young coaches are the rage these days.

Besides, if hoke goes undefeated next season and wins the cotton bowl, and some school throws stupid money at him and he bolts? Can you blame him? it will take that type season for hoke to get a second look. If he goes undefeated and wins the cotton bowl, I will be running down the streets of Ramona naked with just a flaming spear and monte’s head gear looking for a cow to sacrifice stop mt. Woodson!

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
he is not a no name, was the assistant under Fisher during his tenure. And unlike Hoke he hasn't laid eggs before. Maybe we should start worrying he'll pull a Hoke on SDSU :eek:;)
By pulling a Hoke, you mean he'll leave us about 100 times better than where we were when he started and with an even better coach than he is? Then he will go and take Michigan to the highest level it had been to in years; then he will watch that team erode into garbage, get fired, and come back to us? Please let that happen.

By the way, Hoke's replacement was Jim Harbaugh, who had just led a team to an NFC Championship and had somehow won with the Toreros and Stanford. With Michigan, Harbaugh, overall, is doing better than Hoke did, but he isn't exactly doing well. In fact, Hoke's first season with Michigan was still better than anything Harbaugh has done with Michigan. And the guy who coached Michigan before Hoke did far worse than Hoke. So Michigan may not be a place in which one would expect a coach to succeed. It has become a mediocre football program.

Brian Dutcher was a no name when compared to Jeff Fisher or the type of coach you have been asking for. He had never been a head coach before. Now he is 16-0.

Last edited:

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
By pulling a Hoke, you mean he'll leave us about 100 times better than where we were when he started and with an even better coach than he is? Then he will go and take Michigan to the highest level it had been to in years; then he will watch that team erode into garbage, get fired, and come back to us? Please let that happen.

By the way, Hoke's replacement was Jim Harbaugh, who had just led a team to an NFC Championship and had somehow won with the Toreros and Stanford. With Michigan, Harbaugh, overall, is doing better than Hoke did, but he isn't exactly doing well. In fact, Hoke's first season with Michigan was still better than anything Harbaugh has done with Michigan. And the guy who coached Michigan before Hoke did far worse than Hoke. So Michigan may not be a place in which one would expect a coach to succeed. It has become a mediocre football program.

Brian Dutcher was a no name when compared to Jeff Fisher or the type of coach you have been asking for. He had never been a head coach before. Now he is 16-0.
lolz....you mean Michigan fans were excited by Hoke's arrival and performance? I think you better ask an alumnus there. I worked with one who was a rabid fan and was a backup on the team for Schembechler. He absolutely DESPISED Hoke. OK, if Hoke goes undefeated and takes the Aztecs to a whole new level of respectability and is in the mid to high rankings and goes to a major bowl and wins I'll concede it was a brilliant hire. How many think that is possible, raise your hands???

Reactions: Fender57

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Hand raised.
Ok I'll fully expect to see you running down the streets of Ramona naked with a flaming spear and a Montezuma helmet when the impossilbe happens in the future LMAO! Where do we get tickets for that? :roflmao:

Last edited:

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Ok I'll fully expect to see you running down the streets of Ramona naked with a flaming spear and a Montezuma helmet when the impossilbe happens in the future LMAO! Where do we get tickets for that? :roflmao:
Shit, if that happens I’ll run down Ramona naked dressed like Monty Montezuma.

• Haha
Reactions: Gill Man

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Fair enough....decent is ok for some. I get that. If the basketball program could attract a Jeff Fisher, why cannot the football program attract someone with some notoriety?? Finest city, greatest weather anywhere, possiblity of adding to someone's resume' as a great coach who can turn a mediocre program into a national storyline. Why basketball and not football?
I think you mean Steve Fisher and that was a truly inspired hire. Having Rocky Long fall into our lap after Hoke screwed over SDSU was super fortunate as well. Having Hoke somehow worm his way back into the organization and then back into the HC job was really unfortunate.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I think you mean Steve Fisher and that was a truly inspired hire. Having Rocky Long fall into our lap after Hoke screwed over SDSU was super fortunate as well. Having Hoke somehow worm his way back into the organization and then back into the HC job was really unfortunate.
yeah gawd no not JEFF Fisher LOLOLOL. That must also be Steve's brother LOLOLOL. Damn I'm losing it......take everything I say with a grain of salt. ;)

edit...although I must say it would be interesting to see Jeff Fisher coach BB.......lots of kneecaps would get broken......I mean you could wipe out 5 guys pretty quickly, that wood floor is hard as hell,,,,,not like having to worry about a guy cushioning his fall on the pussy grass fields of football lolz.

• Haha
Reactions: Fender57

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
yeah gawd no not JEFF Fisher LOLOLOL. That must also be Steve's brother LOLOLOL. Damn I'm losing it......take everything I say with a grain of salt. ;)

edit...although I must say it would be interesting to see Jeff Fisher coach BB.......lots of kneecaps would get broken......I mean you could wipe out 5 guys pretty quickly, that wood floor is hard as hell,,,,,not like having to worry about a guy cushioning his fall on the pussy grass fields of football lolz.
He’d be useful when playing BYU.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Hoke has a reputation for being an excellent recruiter. Which is a college coach main quality, not x,s and o's.

[Before Ball State]. During Hoke's eight years at Michigan, the Wolverines compiled a 75–23 record, went to a bowl game every year and won the national championship in 1997. While at Michigan, Hoke was assigned to recruit in California. One of the players Hoke recruited to Michigan was future legendary NFL quarterback Tom Brady. Hoke recalled: "Tom wasn't the greatest athlete, with those skinny legs, but there was something about him."

...Hoke won a reputation for recruiting at San Diego State. His brother Jon Hoke, an assistant coach in the NFL, noted: "I don't care where it is, whether it's San Diego State or anywhere else, if there's one thing he can do it's recruit. He's as good at it as anybody. He's relentless with recruiting. He has a great feel for parents and a great feel for players. As long as you give him the budget to (recruit) the way it needs to be done, he'll be fine."

Reactions: Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
lolz....you mean Michigan fans were excited by Hoke's arrival and performance? I think you better ask an alumnus there. I worked with one who was a rabid fan and was a backup on the team for Schembechler. He absolutely DESPISED Hoke. OK, if Hoke goes undefeated and takes the Aztecs to a whole new level of respectability and is in the mid to high rankings and goes to a major bowl and wins I'll concede it was a brilliant hire. How many think that is possible, raise your hands???
I didn't say anything about Michigan fans.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Haha. I think I said Jeff Fisher too. Now I need to go check.

• Haha

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Hoke has a reputation for being an excellent recruiter. Which is a college coach main quality, not x,s and o's.

[Before Ball State]. During Hoke's eight years at Michigan, the Wolverines compiled a 75–23 record, went to a bowl game every year and won the national championship in 1997. While at Michigan, Hoke was assigned to recruit in California. One of the players Hoke recruited to Michigan was future legendary NFL quarterback Tom Brady. Hoke recalled: "Tom wasn't the greatest athlete, with those skinny legs, but there was something about him."

...Hoke won a reputation for recruiting at San Diego State. His brother Jon Hoke, an assistant coach in the NFL, noted: "I don't care where it is, whether it's San Diego State or anywhere else, if there's one thing he can do it's recruit. He's as good at it as anybody. He's relentless with recruiting. He has a great feel for parents and a great feel for players. As long as you give him the budget to (recruit) the way it needs to be done, he'll be fine."
I really don’t care if he’s Belichick, Lombardi, and Noll wrapped into one. He left SDSU high and dry and in a real slimy way. Only by the grace of god did we happen to have Rocky Long on staff, and even luckier he agreed to take the HC job because he really came to SDSU to close out his career coaching defense and then retire. It could have easily gone south, could’ve hired another Chuck Long type disaster, we just got lucky.

Hoke left like a weasel and he couldn’t even be man enough to say goodbye to his players, many who he “skillfully recruited” (meaning, lied to them like a used car salesman would do) before skulking off into the dead of night to take his “dream job”. I’m sure many of his players felt duped and betrayed. Alum Kyle Turley famously called Joke “gutless”. Turley accurately conveyed what many of us fans were feeling about the worm.

I’m not saying SDSU is a better job than Michigan, but from the start he was a slimeball, purposely delayed signing his initial contract (took him nearly the whole season to sign it) and then agreed to an extension (SDSU wanted to retain him) but pulled the same bullshit of refusing to sign. The reason? He always had one foot out the door, it was a real bullshit way of doing business. I really hope that one foot kicks his ass out the door next season or sooner like tonight. He should’ve never been given another shot here.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Hoke and Long are long-time friends. The Union Trib had an article saying it is somehow possible Long will take the D coordinator job under Hoke again.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Hoke and Long are long-time friends. The Union Trib had an article saying it is somehow possible Long will take the D coordinator job under Hoke again.
The SDUT quoted Hoke saying jokingly that maybe Long would take it. He won’t.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
The SDUT quoted Hoke saying jokingly that maybe Long would take it. He won’t.
Okay. I only saw the headline. I know Long wants to be a coordinator - probably for a Top 5 team though.
I say that is unfortunate though. If I were an old man looking to cut out the stress of being head coach, I would stick with San Diego and not go to some place that is less than paradise.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
There seem to be conflicting reports on here , one has Long upset about the demand for a position coach change and leaving as a result (he says 'retire') and the other has him doing what he always planned to do was actually retire after his stint here. So the story will be finally written probably next year. If the guy shows up at a major program as a DC there was a demand placed on him at State he was not happy about.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
There seem to be conflicting reports on here , one has Long upset about the demand for a position coach change and leaving as a result (he says 'retire') and the other has him doing what he always planned to do was actually retire after his stint here. So the story will be finally written probably next year. If the guy shows up at a major program as a DC there was a demand placed on him at State he was not happy about.
Yeah, I was wondering about that myself. Probably some truth in the middle - Long knew he had to fire the guy but didn’t want to. Long did appear at the presser alongside the AD and Shady Joke, he seemed really happy so who knows.

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018

hoke is a better recruiter than rocky.

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
giving rocky the option to retire was a class move.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
New stadium, new donors, new money. You need names, you need production. Plans might include
getting more national exposure a la Boise State.

CBS Sports and the Mountain West have agreed to a new multi-year deal that will extend their relationship through the 2025-26 season. CBS Sports Network will continue to serve as the primary television rights holder for the conference, airing its best football and men's basketball games. The new agreement, which begins in 2020-21, calls for an additional 10 games from each sport to be aired on the network each season as well.

Last edited: