Rocky Long stepping down, Brady Hoke to take over

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I hate Brady Hoke, must be nice to be able to eff over a school and come back as if nothing happened. My biggest fear when they brought this chump back as a line coach.

Rocky Long is expected to keep working as a coordinator somewhere. He either got tired of the grind or Hoke stabbed his back.

San Diego State coach Rocky Long is stepping down after nine seasons, a source told ESPN.

Aztecs defensive line coach Brady Hoke is expected to replace Long and lead the Aztecs, the source added. Hoke had been San Diego State's coach from 2009 to 2010 before leaving to become Michigan's head coach. Long, who had served as San Diego State's defensive coordinator under Hoke, replaced Hoke with the Aztecs.

The Athletic first reported the coaching change.

San Diego State scheduled a 2 p.m. PT news conference to make a major announcement about the football program. Yahoo reported earlier this week that Long, 69, spoke to Syracuse about its defensive coordinator vacancy. A source close to Long told ESPN that the coach, who turns 70 later this month, expects to keep working, likely as a defensive coordinator.
Long went 81-38 at San Diego State with three Mountain West Conference championships and four 10-win seasons since 2015. He served as New Mexico's coach from 1998 to 2008 and has an overall record of 146-107.

Hoke, 61, went 13-12 in his first stint at San Diego State. He has an overall record of 78-72 as coach at Ball State, San Diego State, Michigan and Tennessee, where he served as interim coach for the final two games of 2017.

Gill Man

Inaugural SAN DIEGO Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! YGBMS EFF IT ALL. Dude was an epic disaster when he went to Mich,,,they HATED the guy there. Eff him, what the hell has he done to deserve getting that job back. They oughta take away the MV land for this stupid move. Give it to a school or person/owner who at least demonstrates common sense. That's like an owner giving Dean Spanos majority interest....you hear that Gene Klein????? Jeebus this city can't ever do anything right when it comes to sports.

Reactions: Fender57

Concudan

CPiSS (Chargers Post Season Syndrome)
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! YGBMS EFF IT ALL. Dude was an epic disaster when he went to Mich,,,they HATED the guy there. Eff him, what the hell has he done to deserve getting that job back. They oughta take away the MV land for this stupid move. Give it to a school or person/owner who at least demonstrates common sense. That's like an owner giving Dean Spanos majority interest....you hear that Gene Klein????? Jeebus this city can't ever do anything right when it comes to sports.
Wuuuuut?! I thought you reserved 31 O No's for people with the last name of Spanos...

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
My thoughts exactly - let’s also welcome back Dean Spenis with a parade downtown. What a Hoke of a Joke.

Reactions: Gill Man

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I'm fine with Hoke coming back.
Dude slithered off like a snake in the night. And he sucked at Michigan, sucked at every school he subsequently served at, had success here on the line only because his head coach is one of the better defensive coordinators in college football. He absolutely should’ve never come back as waterboy much less a head coach. Did nothing to earn the job and his stabbing the backs of SDSU should’ve earned a lifetime ban.

It really is equivalent to letting Dean Spanos back in town.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008

San Diego State has called a news conference for Wednesday afternoon where, according to a source close to the school, it will announce Rocky Long is no longer the head football coach and defensive line coach Brady Hoke will once again lead the program.

It is a stunning turn of events.

It was almost nine years to the day — Jan. 12, 2011 — that SDSU announced Long as the Aztecs’ head coach after Hoke left to become head coach at Michigan.

Long gathered his staff together Wednesday morning off campus to let them know what was happening.

Earlier this week, Long said it would be the staff’s first meeting since the holidays and that “we plan on mapping out where we go from there.”

They will be going their separate ways, as it turns out.

Long was said this week to be actively seeking a defensive coordinator position with a Power Five school.

He reportedly interviewed Monday at Syracuse. There are a pair of Pac-12 schools — USC and Washington State — looking for defensive coordinators as well.

Long on Monday would neither confirm nor deny a social media report that he was looking to leave when reached Monday by the Union-Tribune, saying “As of now, I’m still the head football coach at San Diego State.”

Why Long would want to leave at this point was the subject of much speculation, including whether he was asked to make changes on his staff. The Aztecs ranked in the bottom 20 in scoring this season and offensive coordinator Jeff Horton was under fire from fans throughout the year.

Other potential reasons ranged from leveraging offers elsewhere in order to get a raise for himself and/or staff members to seeking a new challenge in the twilight of his career.

Long, who turns 70 on Jan. 27, is the second oldest head coach at the FBS level (Ohio’s Frank Solich is 75). He was under contract at SDSU through the 2023 season.

Was Long content to close out his career at SDSU or did he want one more opportunity to put his 3-3-5 defense against Power Five schools?

ADVERTISEMENT

Long has said that his happiest days in coaching were when he served as a defensive coordinator.

He served as DC for three other schools besides SDSU — UCLA (1996-97), Oregon State (1991-95) and Wyoming (1981-85).

“I am going to be 70 years old, so, obviously, it’s in the back of your mind how long you’re going to go,” Long said Monday. “But I haven’t made any decisions yet.

“I haven’t thought that deep about it. All I’ve thought about is how much longer I might go and in the process what might be in store with me along the way.”

SDSU enjoyed unprecedented success during the Long era.

The Aztecs have made a school-record 10 straight bowl appearances, nine of them since Long became head coach.

He was 81-38 as head coach at SDSU, which is second only to Don Coryell (104-19-2) in victories at the school.

The Aztecs recently capped a 10-3 season — their fourth season in five years with double-digit victories — with a 48-11 New Mexico Bowl win over Central Michigan.

ADVERTISEMENT

Long, who came to SDSU after going 65-69 in 11 seasons as head coach at New Mexico, is the winningest coach in Mountain West history.

Long was hired as SDSU defensive coordinator in 2009 by Hoke, who came from Ball State to take the job after Chuck Long (no relation to Rocky) was fired following the 2008 season.

Hoke returned to SDSU last year when Long hired him as SDSU’s defensive line coach.

Hoke, 61, has had an eventful time between his departure and his return.

He went 31-20 over four seasons at Michigan, but his win total decreased each season, from 11-2 to 8-5 to 7-6 and finally 5-7, prompting his firing following the 2014 season. Hastening his departure was going 1-3 against both Ohio State and Michigan State.

Hoke returned to coaching after a year off when he was hired as Oregon’s defensive coordinator in 2016. A year later, he served as Tennessee assistant head coach/defensive line coach and was interim head coach for two games after head coach Butch Jones was fired. At both Oregon and Tennessee, Hoke found himself out of a job after head coaching changes.

He most recently served as defensive line coach for the Carolina Panthers before being fired in December 2018 during a coaching staff shakeup on the team.

SDSU’s resurgence a decade ago began under Hoke, who coached the Aztecs to a 4-8 record in 2009 and then 9-4 in 2010. The latter season ended with a 35-14 Poinsettia Bowl victory over Navy, giving the Aztecs their first nine-win season in 33 years. It was SDSU’s first bowl appearance in 12 years.

There are certain to changes among the assistant coaches. Hoke is expected to interview current staff members Thursday.

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
This is all on rocky.

Rocky didn’t want to fire Horton so he forces admins hand. Horton sucked as a oc. Period. Or has been obvious for years. Hortons offense only works if you have rashaad pemny type back. Rocky blamed the payers which pissed me off. He recruited these kids and it’s his job to coach up players. Him and Horton failed to do so.

the d line was vastly improved from previous years. Home did an outstanding job coaching up the players.The schedule is soft and the conference is weak. Home should have no problem getting winning 9 to 10 wins a year.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
This is all on rocky.

Rocky didn’t want to fire Horton so he forces admins hand. Horton sucked as a oc. Period. Or has been obvious for years. Hortons offense only works if you have rashaad pemny type back. Rocky blamed the payers which pissed me off. He recruited these kids and it’s his job to coach up players. Him and Horton failed to do so.

the d line was vastly improved from previous years. Home did an outstanding job coaching up the players.The schedule is soft and the conference is weak. Home should have no problem getting winning 9 to 10 wins a year.
Rocky Long and his anemic offensive gameplan is beside the point IMO. After ten years of winning football, going to a bowl game each season, Rocky has earned the right to call his shot. He was being forced to fire an assistant, refused to do so, so the two parties decide to part. Ten years is a long time. He did his job, and with honor. Thank you Coach Long for providing us fans with some good football teams.

To me, the main issue is Hoke. It is completely unjust and effed up this guy is our head coach again. I don’t care if he goes 15-0 and beats USC in The Rose Bowl, he should never have been allowed in the door in the first place. THAT, we can lay at Rocky Long’s feet.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Rocky Long and his anemic offensive gameplan is beside the point IMO. After ten years of winning football, going to a bowl game each season, Rocky has earned the right to call his shot. He was being forced to fire an assistant, refused to do so, so the two parties decide to part. Ten years is a long time. He did his job, and with honor. Thank you Coach Long for providing us fans with some good football teams.

To me, the main issue is Hoke. It is completely unjust and effed up this guy is our head coach again. I don’t care if he goes 15-0 and beats USC in The Rose Bowl, he should never have been allowed in the door in the first place. THAT, we can lay at Rocky Long’s feet.
dysfunction at State similar to the dysfunction at chugger central when they forced Marty out due to conflicts with management and Marty refusing to take their orders as to who to hire as an assistant.

BTW good luck in your recruiting player with Hoke. What sort of attraction is that guy for a player looking to go to the next level ultimately? The best players will be even less likely to sign at State now IMO.

Bad move. If they felt they HAD to make a change and there was too much conflict then I agree, go with someone other than Hoke and who isn't a retread who has proven he's a failure. Sounds like Hoke is someone's favorite in the administration if they can't do better than that. Similar to norb and aj being buddies.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
dysfunction at State similar to the dysfunction at chugger central when they forced Marty out due to conflicts with management and Marty refusing to take their orders as to who to hire as an assistant.

BTW good luck in your recruiting player with Hoke. What sort of attraction is that guy for a player looking to go to the next level ultimately? The best players will be even less likely to sign at State now IMO.

Bad move. If they felt they HAD to make a change and there was too much conflict then I agree, go with someone other than Hoke and who isn't a retread who has proven he's a failure. Sounds like Hoke is someone's favorite in the administration if they can't do better than that. Similar to norb and aj being buddies.
Furthermore, what recruit would want to play for a guy who snuck out of San Diego at midnight ala Robert Irsay heading to Indianapolis, couldn’t even face those players he coached and recruited. And this was AFTER announcing he reupped at SDSU. Ask Kyle Turley what he thinks of Hoke called him gutless. Eff Hoke. Almost makes me want to root for someone else.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Furthermore, what recruit would want to play for a guy who snuck out of San Diego at midnight ala Robert Irsay heading to Indianapolis, couldn’t even face those players he coached and recruited. And this was AFTER announcing he reupped at SDSU. Ask Kyle Turley what he thinks of Hoke called him gutless. Eff Hoke. Almost makes me want to root for someone else.
yup....another good point,,,,,they proved once he can get up an walk out on his recruits with zero remorse, now they want to let him have the job AGAIN??? Unreal. And yeah, recruits would know his history and probably consider that highly in their decision as to what program to commit to. Eff Hoke. Eff SDSU for doing this. I agree, makes me want to quit pulling for that program anymore. I never thought they oughta be given the land in MV anyways. That should be reserved for something else down the road instead of tying it up to a program that will always be second rate.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Dude slithered off like a snake in the night. And he sucked at Michigan, sucked at every school he subsequently served at, had success here on the line only because his head coach is one of the better defensive coordinators in college football. He absolutely should’ve never come back as waterboy much less a head coach. Did nothing to earn the job and his stabbing the backs of SDSU should’ve earned a lifetime ban.

It really is equivalent to letting Dean Spanos back in town.
You had a point until the last line. Hoke isn't Spanos.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Sounds to me, like Long actually wants to retire. And Hoke said, he could join the Aztecs as DC.

Long said he told athletic director J.D. Wicker before the New Mexico Bowl that he was thinking about retiring and asked if he could get through the game and Christmas vacation before making a decision. He met with Wicker after Christmas and told him he felt it was the best time to retire.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Sounds to me, like Long actually wants to retire. And Hoke said, he could join the Aztecs as DC.

Long said he told athletic director J.D. Wicker before the New Mexico Bowl that he was thinking about retiring and asked if he could get through the game and Christmas vacation before making a decision. He met with Wicker after Christmas and told him he felt it was the best time to retire.

Hoke said he won't leave again if another “dream job" opens.

“This is where we want to be, believe me. I made a commitment to J.D., the president, and to my wife," he said, pausing for effect and drawing laughter.”

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Given the chance, There isn’t one of you knuckleheads that wouldn’t have done the same thing.
Maybe, but the way he went about it was slimy. He refused to sign his first contract until late in the season. And he agreed to the extension knowing full well he was going to go for the Michigan job. No honor with this guy. I can only hope they did the same to him, not sign on their end and then move onto someone else.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Given the chance, There isn’t one of you knuckleheads that wouldn’t have done the same thing.
coach at UM? No thanks, loser program lolz. They are the biatch of OSU forever. lolz.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
coach at UM? No thanks, loser program lolz. They are the biatch of OSU forever. lolz.
Here's where all the bluster about Hoke being Spanos and UM kinda ends.

Oct. 19, 2019 Ann Arbor, Mich. (Michigan Stadium)
Score: #19 Michigan 45, #8 Notre Dame 14
Records: U-M (6-2), ND (5-2)
Attendance: 111,909

UM is a big time site. They drew more for one game then Spanni does for three.
Their team is pretty bad tight now. But their fans and Stadium are far removed from Spanni Football Circus.

SdRay''s Golden Domers did not play like a #8.

Last edited:

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Here's where all the bluster about Hoke being Spanos and UM kinda ends.

Oct. 19, 2019 Ann Arbor, Mich. (Michigan Stadium)
Score: #19 Michigan 45, #8 Notre Dame 14
Records: U-M (6-2), ND (5-2)
Attendance: 111,909

UM is a big time site. They drew more for one game then Spanni does for three.
Their team is pretty bad tight now. But their fans and Stadium are far removed from Spanni Football Circus.

SdRay''s Golden Domers did not play like a #8.
Everything at UM is measured by the OSU matchup. Great they beat ND at the Big House.....big deal though, UM failed and has failed how many consecutive years , ?9 now, to beat OSU. That is failure by any UM standard. But yes, by the Spanos Scale, the spanos fanbase and # of home fans/game could maybe fit in one row, if lucky, at the Big House. :laugh: I went to school in Detroit and our class was composed of a huge # of UM grads....they were by and large very rabid fans still. And they always cared about beating Woody Hayes' team back then.....that was their whole mantra. Back then with Bo Schembechler as coach they actually had good teams. Now they are crap by comparison. They can't recruit like OSU though due to higher academic standards, but as far as I know that's always been the case.

Last edited:

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Rocky Long was a winner - the best coach we have had since Coryell. He will be missed.

Hoke was the coach that brought us Long and began our turnaround from nearly being cut from the SDSU athletic program to a perennial bowl team. Hoke did so well with us, one of the nation's premier college football programs thought he should be their head coach. Yea. He ditched us, and that sucked. But, if it weren't for Hoke, we may not even have a team right now. Maybe people have forgotten just how bad we were. We were the worst.

Last edited:
Reactions: wrbanwal

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Rocky Long was a winner - the best coach we have had since Coryell. He will be missed.

Hoke was the coach that brought us Long and began our turnaround from nearly being cut from the SDSU athletic program to a perennial bowl team. Hoke did so well with us, one of the nation's premier college football programs thought he should be our head coach. Yea. He ditched us, and that sucked. But, if it weren't for Hoke, we may not even have a team right now. Maybe people have forgotten just how bad we were.
true I suppose, we were crap before him. But I just see a ceiling there. And let's just say he breaks the ceiling and gets them on the map and further than they've been. He'll just get invited to some other large school program and be gond in an instant again. I never like retread coaches frankly. Just don't. Some guys get it right the 2nd time, like Billicheck did in the NFL. He cannot be that great if he failed so badly at UM and then the successor turned it back around there. Something ain't right. Retread. Why not get some new blood from somewhere with a higher ceiling? Whatever, maybe we need to treat SDSU like a lot of forum folks treated the spanii and aj smith....just so happy to make the playoffs compared with the crap coaches before them, totally satisfied, no need to complain , be grateful we aren't in the cellar. Frankly I'm tired of that attitude in SD.....the reputation of a laid back, apathetic, care-less sports town. That's partly where it comes from .

GO HOKIES!!!!!!!!

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
true I suppose, we were crap before him. But I just see a ceiling there. And let's just say he breaks the ceiling and gets them on the map and further than they've been. He'll just get invited to some other large school program and be gond in an instant again. I never like retread coaches frankly. Just don't. Some guys get it right the 2nd time, like Billicheck did in the NFL. He cannot be that great if he failed so badly at UM and then the successor turned it back around there. Something ain't right. Retread. Why not get some new blood from somewhere with a higher ceiling? Whatever, maybe we need to treat SDSU like a lot of forum folks treated the spanii and aj smith....just so happy to make the playoffs compared with the crap coaches before them, totally satisfied, no need to complain , be grateful we aren't in the cellar. Frankly I'm tired of that attitude in SD.....the reputation of a laid back, apathetic, care-less sports town. That's partly where it comes from .

GO HOKIES!!!!!!!!
Sure. If we get some football god to want to be our coach, we can dump Hoke. If he can ditch us, we can ditch him. In the meantime, we got ourselves a decent coach.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Sure. If we get some football god to want to be our coach, we can dump Hoke. If he can ditch us, we can ditch him. In the meantime, we got ourselves a decent coach.
Fair enough....decent is ok for some. I get that. If the basketball program could attract a Jeff Fisher, why cannot the football program attract someone with some notoriety?? Finest city, greatest weather anywhere, possiblity of adding to someone's resume' as a great coach who can turn a mediocre program into a national storyline. Why basketball and not football?

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Fair enough....decent is ok for some. I get that. If the basketball program could attract a Jeff Fisher, why cannot the football program attract someone with some notoriety?? Finest city, greatest weather anywhere, possiblity of adding to someone's resume' as a great coach who can turn a mediocre program into a national storyline. Why basketball and not football?
The new no-name coach in basketball might be better than Jeff Fisher. Maybe we should start saying his name.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
The new no-name coach in basketball might be better than Jeff Fisher. Maybe we should start saying his name.
he is not a no name, was the assistant under Fisher during his tenure. And unlike Hoke he hasn't laid eggs before. Maybe we should start worrying he'll pull a Hoke on SDSU :eek:;)