• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Rivers wants out if not an '06 starter

LT teh ghost

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2005/09/30/sports/professional/chargers/22_28_359_29_05.txt

SAN DIEGO ---- A certain Charger doesn't want to become Old Man Rivers waiting his turn.

"I love it here,'' quarterback Philip Rivers said. "But I want to play. I would rather play and be a starter somewhere else if I can't do it here.''

Rivers is talking about the future. The present shows him backing up Drew Brees for the second of Rivers' two years in the NFL.

But by year three, the fourth pick of the 2004 draft wants a team to call his own ---- wherever that might be.

"Everything is fine right now,'' said Rivers, who played briefly in two games last season. "It's only my second year and the learning curve is still going up. And this is a great working environment.

"But I would hope at the end of this year they will make it clear which one of us is the quarterback of the future. I'm not saying he's not the quarterback of the San Diego Chargers right now; he has every right to be. I just think both of us would like to know, looking at it long-term.''

Chargers general manager A.J. Smith is in no hurry to make such a decision.

"Players can say whatever they want,'' Smith said. "Players can speak their own mind. But we'll let you all know at the end of the year who the Chargers will be in '06.''

Smith also said he's received no calls regarding Rivers' availability before the Oct. 18 trading deadline. Rivers said his agent, Jimmy Sexton, hasn't heard of anyone inquiring about Rivers.

"That would probably come in the spring,'' Rivers said.

Would Rivers request a trade next year if the Chargers retain Brees?

"I'm really not in the position to do that right now,'' he said. "But let's see what happens.''

No Fonoti

Left guard Toniu Fonoti, who has lost his starting job to Kris Dielman, was absent from practice.

Team officials said Fonoti was getting a second opinion on his broken right hand. He recently underwent surgery on it, but isn't pleased with the healing progress.

Coach Marty Schottenheimer said he expects Fonoti to attend today's practice.

In a jam

Cornerback Quentin Jammer didn't practice as he nursed a strained quad he suffered in Wednesday's workout.

"It's precautionary,'' Schottenheimer said about Jammer not practicing.

Added Jammer: "I'll be fine for Sunday. Shoot, I'll be fine by (today).''

Quick hits

OLB Steve Foley (abdominal strain) and TE Ryan Krause (foot) didn't work. Foley is listed as questionable, but will probably go on Sunday. If not, Shaun Phillips gets his first NFL start. ... With Quentin Jammer ailing, Jamar Fletcher ran with the first unit. ... The team practices this morning, then departs for New England. It's the first of five Chargers road trips this season that are three time zones away.

SDRay

Let's go Fleet! #GoBoats #AnchorDown
Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
I really like both QB's. But we can't keep both. What do you guys think Brees has to do to be the long term QB here in SD?

IMO if we miss the playoffs, then Brees is gone. RIvers will be our QB of the future and we'll keep most of the team in tact. Plus we will be 16mil under the salary cap next. That's enough to get some impact players on defense.