Rivers is done

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
Wherever these Valkyries drop me...
It's a NFL record. It's not easy. Been thousands of games, hundreds to QBs. Not meaningless.
That stat means almost nothing, for the reasons I listed above.

Are these NFL records per you also meaningless?
I don't have time to discuss the relative merits of 20 different records:
Suffice it to say that they span from "Definitely not important" to "Pretty impressive."

While I don't agree with Q's wholesale distain for stats, we all know that a lot of them are meaningless or even misleading.
Most here--that saw both Fouts & Rivers' careers--know that Fouts was the better QB.
But his career passer rating looks dismal compared to PR's massive numbers in the pinball-score era (80.2 v. 95)
Hell, sucky Eli is at 84.1!! No one who knows the game thinks Eli can carry MFIC's jock.
Stats have their place...mostly for comparing guys and teams from the same era.

I used to argue that PR's stats would and should get him into the HoF...even if he had to slink in the back door.

But as I watch his predictable and steady failures on important drives, I now feel that:
A) If he improves significantly in that area, his numbers should barely qualify him...or
B) If he doesn't, then he's just a guy who put up big numbers in an easy passing era, but never rose above "good"
and should not go in...it would cheapen the Hall, and tons of mediocre guys will be posting big stats going forward...

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
I got banned permanently from the SDUT forum for saying they should trade Rivers a year ago.

The defense played their asses off last night only to be screwed by a total Spaz of a QB.

Rivers should have been traded a long time but I guess it’s appropriate he should be married to such an incompetent owner.
People can disagree with each other. But banning just because they disagree is a pussy move.

Reactions: Gill Man

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
Wherever these Valkyries drop me...
Fun Words From the Last 24 hours:

"It's a football game." PR showing game savvy not on display en Estadio Azteca...

"Honey Badger." Coach Lynn.

"Rivers was picked off by two safeties, a cornerback and a defensive tackle." L.A. Times.
Rivers actually intended one of the safety pics for a linebacker, in hopes of the gridiron version of "hitting for the cycle"

"He's been pretty intelligent." Coach Lynn. (Words every QB surely wants to hear in his 16th pro season)

"Right now, Philip Rivers is our starting quarterback.” Coach Lynn. ("Right now, Sean Spicer is our Press Secretary.”)

Last edited:

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
The one excuse I give rivers is the coaching debacle that has been his career:

schotty decent
Turner garbage
McCoy garbage
Lynn garbage

Brees Payton
Manning coughlin
Ben Tomlin
Brady bellicheat
Mahomes reid
Jackson harbaugh
Manning dungy
Rodgers the first few years with McCarthy

See a pattern.

ww don’t know what the impact would have been if rivers had a coach who would get in his face and tell him when he is fucking up and give him pointers about being better. And these coaches know how to win.

rivers reminds me of balboa before he met mick. Raw ability that was never truly harnessed to the greatness he could have been. I think a good coach Would have given San Diego 2 Super Bowls the past ten years.

you see....it’s always Spanos fault.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
The NFL Hall of Fame is a joke. Don't base a QB 'greatness' on their weird and odd selections.
Plus, Rivers might go to another team, have a great year, and win a Ring.
But never with the Chuggers No one wins big with Spanni System.

With Lamonica, the Raiders won four straight Western Division titles (three AFL and one AFC) and one American Football League championship. Lamonica was a three-time American Football League All-Star and twice was selected as the AFL's Most Valuable Player, in 1967 and 1969. Lamonica went 66–16–4 (.791) as a starter, second best in NFL history (Otto Graham is the highest at .810). In the American Football League, Lamonica's winning percentage as a starter was .900, on 40 wins, 4 losses and 1 tie in 45 games, the best ever in the AFL. Although excellent at man-for-man coverage, he had a hard time reading zone defenses, more prevalent in the 1970s, and his throwing was sometimes inaccurate. He was replaced in 1973 by Ken Stabler, who, despite a weaker arm, was better at both, leading the 1976 team to victory in Super Bowl XI.

See article for more details

cocasts

BoltTalker
Jun 1, 2018
The one excuse I give rivers is the coaching debacle that has been his career:

schotty decent
Turner garbage
McCoy garbage
Lynn garbage

Brees Payton
Manning coughlin
Ben Tomlin
Brady bellicheat
Mahomes reid
Jackson harbaugh
Manning dungy
Rodgers the first few years with McCarthy

See a pattern.

ww don’t know what the impact would have been if rivers had a coach who would get in his face and tell him when he is fucking up and give him pointers about being better. And these coaches know how to win.

rivers reminds me of balboa before he met mick. Raw ability that was never truly harnessed to the greatness he could have been. I think a good coach Would have given San Diego 2 Super Bowls the past ten years.

you see....it’s always Spanos fault.
Peyton won SB’s with different coaches. If you are trying to tell me it was coaching versus Peyton that made the difference I say you don’t understand talent.

Rivers is a coach killer.

ThunderHorse17

Lone Wolf
Apr 10, 2010
Missouri
Peyton won SB’s with different coaches. If you are trying to tell me it was coaching versus Peyton that made the difference I say you don’t understand talent.

I Don't know if that's right. Rivers hadn't had a living coach to kill. Short of marty, but I think he was dead on his feet by the time he got the charger job.

The problem starts at the top with those owners.

Reactions: Gill Man

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017

If Eli won two Super Bowls, and Big Ben has won two Super Bowls, and Rivers is equal to in talent to his fellow draftees....
You can only conclude the fault lies not with Rivers but the organization....two different organizations.......to
get the job done.

I think the flaw is not in making Rivers a coach killer but to look at the coach hirers.

Last edited:

DFWBoltFan

Where am I?
Apr 19, 2011
For all of the late game blunders, I can honestly say I saw PR pull one out in person, at the Meadowlands in 2008 against the Giants. He marched us down the field with about 2 to go and hit VJ in the corner of the end zone with 21 seconds left to silence the crowd (well except for me and Buck Melanoma :cool:)

While I love seeing Dean get kicked in the balls over and over again, I feel somewhat sad to see PR in such clear and drastic decline, given that I, and pretty much all of us, rooted for the guy for so many years. He's one of the last links to the team we once loved.

But like the old saying goes, Father Time is undefeated and it looks like he is kneeling on the ball on this one. PR has nothing left.
That Giants game was one of the best memories I’ve had as a Charger fan. Watching him run up and down the field after the game was priceless.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
That stat means almost nothing, for the reasons I listed above.

I don't have time to discuss the relative merits of 20 different records:
Suffice it to say that they span from "Definitely not important" to "Pretty impressive."

While I don't agree with Q's wholesale distain for stats, we all know that a lot of them are meaningless or even misleading.
Most here--that saw both Fouts & Rivers' careers--know that Fouts was the better QB.
But his career passer rating looks dismal compared to PR's massive numbers in the pinball-score era (80.2 v. 95)
Hell, sucky Eli is at 84.1!! No one who knows the game thinks Eli can carry MFIC's jock.
Stats have their place...mostly for comparing guys and teams from the same era.

I used to argue that PR's stats would and should get him into the HoF...even if he had to slink in the back door.

But as I watch his predictable and steady failures on important drives, I now feel that:
A) If he improves significantly in that area, his numbers should barely qualify him...or
B) If he doesn't, then he's just a guy who put up big numbers in an easy passing era, but never rose above "good"
and should not go in...it would cheapen the Hall, and tons of mediocre guys will be posting big stats going forward...
Wholesale disdain rules!

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
If Eli won two Super Bowls, and Big Ben has won two Super Bowls, and Rivers is equal to in talent to his fellow draftees....
You can only conclude the fault lies not with Rivers but the organization....two different organizations.......to
get the job done.

I think the flaw is not in making Rivers a coach killer but to look at the coach hirers.
That list:

1. Ben
2. Rivers
3. Eli

Reactions: Faded Blues

SDRay

#GoIrish #Aztecs #SDGulls #Raiders #THFC #RipCity
Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
Jun 20, 2005
Chula Vista, CA
www.afsportsforum.com
He's not done, going to the Titans! :tup: I'd love to root for Rivers again, although he is a choke artist. Or is it the Spajos curse? :tdown:

Shoot I hope he's purposely sabotaging Spanos' franchise this final season by playing like crap. If he does move elsewhere, I'll root for him again. But Still don;t consider him a hall of famer till he gets to the SB.

Reactions: Fender57

cocasts

BoltTalker
Jun 1, 2018
Defense played their hearts out only for Rivers to gift them the win....over and over and over again.

somewhere, Whiz is saying, “I told ya so!”

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Shoot I hope he's purposely sabotaging Spanos' franchise this final season by playing like crap. If he does move elsewhere, I'll root for him again. But Still don;t consider him a hall of famer till he gets to the SB.
Lots of teams would easily sign Rivers. But I hope he doesn't go to Bengals or Tampa Bay.....Bears, Redskins, Panthers....
he'll get big money even as a backup to Bisset of the Colts or to Big Ben or to Brady. Yet that would be so sweet, Rivers playing for the Patriots.

Chuggers 2020 draft....
Jordan Love, Utah State. Love might be the most physically gifted quarterback in this class. But he's also the most frustrating to watch. His arm talent is undeniable but his decision making leaves a lot to be desired. Some of that is playing for Utah State offense lacking playmakers, but some of that is on Love, who routinely forces balls into coverage and suffers the silly types of turnovers that can doom an NFL season. Like Eason, Love will need time to grow into the job.

cocasts

BoltTalker
Jun 1, 2018
Lots of teams would easily sign Rivers. But I hope he doesn't go to Bengals or Tampa Bay.....Bears, Redskins, Panthers....
he'll get big money even as a backup to Bisset of the Colts or to Big Ben or to Brady. Yet that would be so sweet, Rivers playing for the Patriots.

Chuggers 2020 draft....
Jordan Love, Utah State. Love might be the most physically gifted quarterback in this class. But he's also the most frustrating to watch. His arm talent is undeniable but his decision making leaves a lot to be desired. Some of that is playing for Utah State offense lacking playmakers, but some of that is on Love, who routinely forces balls into coverage and suffers the silly types of turnovers that can doom an NFL season. Like Eason, Love will need time to grow into the job.

cocasts

BoltTalker
Jun 1, 2018
For QB, I’ll take brains over brawn everyday. Look, every other player on the squad is usually more gifted athletically than the QB....it’s brains and vision that defines a great QB, otherwise, Tyreek Hill would be a thrower vs receiver.

Rivers could never shake his 7 step drop and painfully slow play calling no matter how hard you coached him.

The Titans or whoever are more than welcome to hire Rivers and find endless excuses for his poor play. Good riddance.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
For QB, I’ll take brains over brawn everyday. Look, every other player on the squad is usually more gifted athletically than the QB....it’s brains and vision that defines a great QB, otherwise, Tyreek Hill would be a thrower vs receiver.

Rivers could never shake his 7 step drop and painfully slow play calling no matter how hard you coached him.

The Titans or whoever are more than welcome to hire Rivers and find endless excuses for his poor play. Good riddance.
Not true about the 7-step drop. As soon as Norv was gone, Rivers made Allen into a star with those quick passes.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
If Rivers goes to the Patsies and Brady goes to the Spanoses, Rivers will be called the greatest QB of all time and Brady will be called guy who threw a bunch of picks before hitting the I.R.

Reactions: Harryo the K

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015

So your ideal QB is Fitzpatrick.