Rivers is done

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Great guy off the field but an overrated above average QB for his career.

great #'s in the regular season but those 7 point losses are telling......in the clutch his teams failed way too often. Pressure situations are huge in determining a QB's legacy. Unfortunately for Phil, those #'s are not good. Great guy, great character and motivation, just never really got it done re: huge games and playoffs and championships. In the final analysis, much of it is because he was loyal to a fault and stayed with the dumb spanos organization which failed him more than he failed them. His O lines for the most part sucked and there always were holes in the lines somewhere and the coaching was abysmal. Typical spanos , he is such a bad owner there is actually now a term used for choking....."chargered". Way to eff everything up for everyone else dean you POS.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Who was the number one draft choice in 2018? Shows up in a ton of tv commercials.

Yep. Mr. Baker Mayfield.

Rivers #22 at 85.5. Mayfield, last #33, , at 76.5

So, Chuggers might be in for a rough ride.

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
Wherever these Valkyries drop me...
Great guy off the field but an overrated above average QB for his career.

We see over and over why he's not elite.

I wish the delay was 10 years for HoF...then we'd see that lots of average guys can play longer and pile up numbers
before voting on PR.

Like Fouts & Marino, I can get past the "No Lombardi" argument...
but the consistent losing of winnable games and failure to perform under pressure is more important than his longevity in the China Doll era...

p.s.: And not to kick a guy when he's down, but millions of women who think they should have control over their bodies,
and millions of gay folks probably wouldn't call the the Santorum-supporter a "Great guy off the field."
Rivers Same-sex Marriage.png

Last edited:

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
We see over and over why he's not elite.

I wish the delay was 10 years for HoF...then we'd see that lots of average guys can play longer and pile up numbers
before voting on PR.

Like Fouts & Marino, I can get past the "No Lombardi" argument...
but the consistent losing of winnable games and failure to perform under pressure is more important than his longevity in the China Doll era...

Have you ever seen the Chargers offensive line?
How many years of the past 15, do you think Rivers had a top rated offensive line?
Rivers could keep playing if he were in Dallas.

Last edited:

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
Have you ever seen the Chargers offensive line?
How many years of the past 25, do you think Rivers have a top rated offensive line?
Rivers could keep playing if he were in Dallas.
He's proven that he can play and play and play with the lines he's had. Least injured QB in modern times.
Sure, like most teams, line play could be better...but he has consistently failed to come through on the last drive no matter who was blocking up front.

Again, with a little bad luck, PR could've personally given KC SIX!!!!!! turnovers (though 4 was just enough) last night...in their most crucial game of the year.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
He's proven that he can play and play and play with the lines he's had. Least injured QB in modern times.
Sure, like most teams, line play could be better...but he has consistently failed to come through on the last drive no matter who was blocking up front.

Again, with a little bad luck, PR could've personally given KC SIX!!!!!! turnovers (though 4 was just enough) last night...in their most crucial game of the year.
yeah even in the years where the line was decent, bad news. That 2009 playoff game against the Jets was a disaster. Of course Tweety choked on his birdfeed very badly, but still PR wilted under the Rex Ryan defensive pressure.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
remember Lynn when he first arrived made a statement about rivers being long in the tooth. He's gotta be thinking now is the time to make the switch to a mobile QB. It's the way the league is going. Unfortunately the dumb front office made the huge error in assessment re: Lamar Jackson who they could have taken IIRC. By now they would have been contenders and probably gotten some fanbase behind them. They'll continue to misjudge talent no doubt. And now word is that Derwin James' foot injury is the same problem that hampered him in college so they drafted a guy who is an injury risk again....sound like a familiar pattern?

Reactions: TTK

cocasts

BoltTalker
Jun 1, 2018
I got banned permanently from the SDUT forum for saying they should trade Rivers a year ago.

The defense played their asses off last night only to be screwed by a total Spaz of a QB.

Rivers should have been traded a long time but I guess it’s appropriate he should be married to such an incompetent owner.

Reactions: SDRay

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Respectfully disagree.
I respectfully agree! Sarcasm doesn’t come through clearly via written word (my fault).

He was good (and durable) enough to compile big numbers over the pass-happy era, an era that constantly updated the rules to handcuff defenses, an era that basically allowed receivers carte blanche to run down their routes unmolested, an era where throwing a bomb and hoping for a PI call is actually a strategy. He falls short when you not only measure his playoff stats, but the record-setting number of failed clutch wins. How many times did he turn it over on a game-winning drive? Against Kansas City alone?

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Rivers holds multiple Charger records and even a few NFL records. With a different organization he'd be wearing Rings right now.

Nov. 2018
The Los Angeles Chargers quarterback tied the league record for consecutive completions in a 45-10 rout of the Arizona Cardinals, finishing even with Miami Dolphins passer Ryan Tannehill's previous mark of 25. Tannehill's streak, however, was compiled over the course of two games in 2015.

By finishing the day with 28 completions on 29 attempts, Rivers broke the single-game completion rate record (minimum of 20 attempts) with a 96.55 percent rate, surpassing the 94.7 percent set by Tannehill and Alex Smith.

Rivers also shattered the record of most consecutive completions to start a game with 22, previously held by Mark Brunell and Derek Carr.

The 15th-year veteran tied the record for consecutive completions in a game in the third quarter on a 4-yard scoring strike to Keenan Allen for his third touchdown of the day. He was pressured on the first play of the ensuing drive, and his 26th pass of the day, intended for running back Austin Ekeler, fell incomplete.

"I did know that we hadn't missed, but I didn't know where it was," Rivers said. "I did know that that first miss was that little short throw to Ekeler of all things. It was an efficient day, to say the least. There were so many guys today who were making catches, and the guys protected up front."

Rivers was pulled at the end of the third quarter as backup Geno Smith finished the game.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
remember Lynn when he first arrived made a statement about rivers being long in the tooth. He's gotta be thinking now is the time to make the switch to a mobile QB. It's the way the league is going. Unfortunately the dumb front office made the huge error in assessment re: Lamar Jackson who they could have taken IIRC. By now they would have been contenders and probably gotten some fanbase behind them. They'll continue to misjudge talent no doubt. And now word is that Derwin James' foot injury is the same problem that hampered him in college so they drafted a guy who is an injury risk again....sound like a familiar pattern?
Question::
How many trades have the SB bound Chargers made in 2019 to improve their team?

Answer:
Zero. As best as one can tell.

Why mess with perfection?

wrbanwal

Dec 27, 2005
Rivers can't get out of his own way. I don't care what offensive line he has in front of him. Those interceptions last night were on him (except one)

Reactions: Gill Man

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
I saw about five minutes of the game, got bored, and switched over to my Suns' pregame show. Sounds like Rivers had a bad game. Hopefully the Spanoses listen to us haters and get rid of Rivers. Without Rivers, there was at least one season, possibly two, that the Spanoses would have gone 0-16. He played with possibly the worst team ever created in any sport. Knowing Telesco and Spanos's son are calling the shots, it is hard for me to believe things have changed much.

All the horseshit about Rivers sucking on final drives was just that - horseshit. The final drive is always done in desperation. When nobody is blocking and nobody is getting open, a QB has to force stuff on a final drive. Forcing throws on a bad team is going to result in turnovers. If Rivers were getting the protection Belichick's teams give Brady or the Saints give Brees, Rivers would have a lot more game-winning drives. Remember when Brees played on Spanos's shitty teams? Never mind the final-drive failures - just about all the drives were failures.

Last edited:

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I saw about five minutes of the game, got bored, and switched over to my Suns' pregame show. Sounds like Rivers had a bad game. Hopefully the Spanoses listen to us haters and get rid of Rivers. Without Rivers, there was at least one season, possibly two, that the Spanoses would have gone 0-16. He played with possibly the worst team ever created in any sport. Knowing Telesco and Spanos's son are calling the shots, it is hard for me to believe things have changed much.

All the horseshit about Rivers sucking on final drives was just that - horseshit. The final drive is always done in desperation. When nobody is blocking and nobody is getting open, a QB has to force stuff on a final drive. Forcing throws on a bad team is going to result in turnovers. If Rivers were getting the protection Belichick's teams give Brady or the Saints give Brees, Rivers would have a lot more game-winning drives. Remember when Brees played on Spanos's shitty teams? Never mind the final-drive failures - just about all the drives were failures.
If my Aunt Sally has nuts she’d be my Uncle Sal.

You have a point that the Chargers FO has been woefully inept in providing a decent OL for Rivers. Unfortunately, his performance under that offense is all we have to go by. By all accounts Archie Manning was supposed to be a great QB. But he got killed on some very shitty Saints teams. He doesn’t get a free pass into Canton for that. He doesn’t get to have accolades given to him because he operated behind a shitty line. Archie Manning is what he is, and so is Philip Rivers - a guy who has consistently failed in clutch time.

Besides the well thought out points you give, you have to acknowledge that throughout his career he has consistently shown a proclivity to freaking out in crunch time.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
If my Aunt Sally has nuts she’d be my Uncle Sal.

You have a point that the Chargers FO has been woefully inept in providing a decent OL for Rivers. Unfortunately, his performance under that offense is all we have to go by. By all accounts Archie Manning was supposed to be a great QB. But he got killed on some very shitty Saints teams. He doesn’t get a free pass into Canton for that. He doesn’t get to have accolades given to him because he operated behind a shitty line. Archie Manning is what he is, and so is Philip Rivers - a guy who has consistently failed in clutch time.

Besides the well thought out points you give, you have to acknowledge that throughout his career he has consistently shown a proclivity to freaking out in crunch time.
I disagree with the last line. I think the team has sucked in crunch time because shitty teams tend to suck. I imagine Rivers had the same shitty team last year, and, with a little help from the riggers, brought that garbage into the post season. Shit. Didn't those shitbags even win a playoff game?

I think Rivers is a borderline Hall of Famer. If he makes it or he doesn't, I won't disagree with the decision.

Archie Manning was before my time. But guys like Neil Lomax and David Krieg were great players on bad teams. I didn't need to see them on winning teams to know whether they were good. I mean - do you question whether Barry Sanders was good? His teams seemed to always tank as well.

Hall of Fame means zero to me anyway. Leslie O'Neal is on my Top 5 list of best players I ever saw, and his name never even gets considered for the Hall. And don't even get me started on Coryell.

Reactions: Fender57

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
Completely disagree. A final drive--with plenty of time--is one of the best tests of a QB.
Usually the # of points needed is obvious, and so is the task at hand. Defenses almost always playing soft...trying to avoid the catastrophic play.
Defenses feared Fouts in those situations. Modern defenses know that Rivers will usually use the clock badly and likely end it with an ill-advised INT.
My only comfort is that, unlike the old days when it killed me, now when PR chokes I just chuckle about how glad I'm no longer in that sad camp.

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
Rivers holds multiple Charger records and even a few NFL records. With a different organization he'd be wearing Rings right now.

Nov. 2018
The Los Angeles Chargers quarterback tied the league record for consecutive completions in a 45-10 rout of the Arizona Cardinals, finishing even with Miami Dolphins passer Ryan Tannehill's previous mark of 25. Tannehill's streak, however, was compiled over the course of two games in 2015.

By finishing the day with 28 completions on 29 attempts, Rivers broke the single-game completion rate record (minimum of 20 attempts) with a 96.55 percent rate, surpassing the 94.7 percent set by Tannehill and Alex Smith.

Rivers also shattered the record of most consecutive completions to start a game with 22, previously held by Mark Brunell and Derek Carr.

The 15th-year veteran tied the record for consecutive completions in a game in the third quarter on a 4-yard scoring strike to Keenan Allen for his third touchdown of the day. He was pressured on the first play of the ensuing drive, and his 26th pass of the day, intended for running back Austin Ekeler, fell incomplete.

"I did know that we hadn't missed, but I didn't know where it was," Rivers said. "I did know that that first miss was that little short throw to Ekeler of all things. It was an efficient day, to say the least. There were so many guys today who were making catches, and the guys protected up front."

Rivers was pulled at the end of the third quarter as backup Geno Smith finished the game.
I'm not sure if you're joking or not :tdown:...I've always thought the "straight completions" record was possibly the most meaningless stat in football:

Any bum can have a hot hand for 2/3 of a game against a lousy opponent, or, if his O-coordinator has zero faith in him, throw 2 dozen
3-yard passes. Any NFL "record" that is shared with NFL legend Ryan Tannehill (Mr. 87.8 career passer rating) is not important.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Completely disagree. A final drive--with plenty of time--is one of the best tests of a QB.
Usually the # of points needed is obvious, and so is the task at hand. Defenses almost always playing soft...trying to avoid the catastrophic play.
Defenses feared Fouts in those situations. Modern defenses know that Rivers will usually use the clock badly and likely end it with an ill-advised INT.
My only comfort is that, unlike the old days when it killed me, now when PR chokes I just chuckle about how glad I'm no longer in that sad camp.
Once his online went from one loaded with Pro Bowlers at every spot to merely mediocre, Fouts too managed to throw picks and fumble in crunch time. Don't get me wrong - Fouts was better than Rivers. That doesn't take anything away from Rivers though.

When the Spanoses used to lose, it bothered me a lot. Now it makes me either happy or is of no concern of mine.

Last edited:

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
I'm not sure if you're joking or not :tdown:...I've always thought the "straight completions" record was possibly the most meaningless stat in football:

Any bum can have a hot hand for 2/3 of a game against a lousy opponent, or, if his O-coordinator has zero faith in him, throw 2 dozen
3-yard passes. Any NFL "record" that is shared with NFL legend Ryan Tannehill (Mr. 87.8 career passer rating) is not important.
I agree. Stats are meaningless.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
When folks start up the Joe Flacco won a Super Bowl, Eli Manning won a Super Bowl, Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl run....
it was because those teams gave their lesser than Rivers level ability quarterbacks time to throw, and had strong running games. When Chargers had Oline and LT they came closest to success, if special teams had not failed.

Rivers is older. That's obvious. It's also obvious Deano is still incompetent.

Reactions: Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
When folks start up the Joe Flacco won a Super Bowl, Eli Manning won a Super Bowl, Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl run....
it was because those teams gave their lesser than Rivers level ability quarterbacks time to throw, and had strong running games. When Chargers had Oline and LT they came closest to success, if special teams had not failed.

Rivers is older. That's obvious. It's also obvious Deano is still incompetent.
Drew Brees. Without an online, he was garbage - was benched for a washed-up Flutie, and the Spanoses drafted his replacement. When he finally got a decent line, he saved his job and made the Pro Bowl. When he went to the Saints and got himself a top o'line, his name became a household word.

Brees was always Brees. The difference between the Brees who got benched for Flutie Flakes and the Brees who is on his way to the Hall was the team he played for. Just ask what's-his-face who replaced Brees this year what a difference it is playing for the Saints. Didn't the Saints go undefeated without Drew this year?

People overvalue the QB position. It isn't an entire team.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017

It's a NFL record. It's not easy. Been thousands of games, hundreds to QBs. Not meaningless.

Are these NFL records per you also meaningless?

• Completion percentage (83.33%) in a 400+ yard passing performance (September 29, 2009 against the Dallas Cowboys)
  • Touchdowns between a single quarterback and tight end: 85 (to Antonio Gates)
  • Consecutive games with a passer rating above 120: 5
Charger records
Career
  • Wins: 106 (2006–2017)
  • Pass completions: 3,811
  • Pass attempts: 5,917
  • Completion percentage: 64.4
  • Passing yards: 50,348
  • Passing touchdowns: 368
  • Game winning drives: 26 (tied with Dan Fouts)
  • Seasons with 4,000+ passing yards: 8
  • Seasons with 3,000+ passing yards: 11
  • 400+ yard passing games: 8
  • Yards per attempt (Min. 500 attempts): 7.7
  • Yards per game: 254.6
  • Passer Rating: 94.7
  • Times sacked: 361
  • Consecutive games with at least one touchdown pass: 28
  • Consecutive regular season games with 300+ yards passing: 5 (Oct 4 to November 1, 2015)
  • Most consecutive starts by a quarterback: 208 (2006–present)

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
It's a NFL record. It's not easy. Been thousands of games, hundreds to QBs. Not meaningless.

• Completion percentage (83.33%) in a 400+ yard passing performance (September 29, 2009 against the Dallas Cowboys)
Charger records
Career
  • Wins: 106 (2006–2017)[181]
  • Seasons with 4,000+ passing yards: 8[182]
  • Consecutive regular season games with 300+ yards passing: 5 (Oct 4 to November 1, 2015)[182]
Stats are meaningless. The only way to judge a QB is to watch him play. Anybody who has seen Aaron Rodgers or that dude on the Chiefs play has seen greatness. Anybody who saw Babe Laufenberg or Billy Joe Tolliver play has seen borderline NFL talent. Nobody needs to check the stats.

RamAirVA

El Deano No Es Bueno...
Nov 12, 2007
Depends on the Week
For all of the late game blunders, I can honestly say I saw PR pull one out in person, at the Meadowlands in 2008 against the Giants. He marched us down the field with about 2 to go and hit VJ in the corner of the end zone with 21 seconds left to silence the crowd (well except for me and Buck Melanoma :cool:)

While I love seeing Dean get kicked in the balls over and over again, I feel somewhat sad to see PR in such clear and drastic decline, given that I, and pretty much all of us, rooted for the guy for so many years. He's one of the last links to the team we once loved.

But like the old saying goes, Father Time is undefeated and it looks like he is kneeling on the ball on this one. PR has nothing left.

ThunderHorse17

Lone Wolf
Apr 10, 2010
Missouri
361 times sacked and the longest active streak of consecutive games played by a qb (granted in a pussified Era of rules) says everything I used to when I would defend my favorite qb of the modern era.

But his shortcomings recently have defiantly muddied the water (pun) of his HOF hopes. Even 2 years ago I would have agreed his stats without a ring gave him solid first round consideration. I don't believe it's so automatic now days. His worst 2 game stretch isn't helping.

Here's a Stat I learned this morning on ESPN radio, prior to this stretch rivers never had 2 int or more in back to back games. Oh well at least he hasn't thrown twice as many ints as he has been sacked, I believe.

ThunderHorse17

Lone Wolf
Apr 10, 2010
Missouri

Charger records
Career
  • Wins: 106 (2006–2017)
  • Seasons with 4,000+ passing yards: 8
  • Consecutive regular season games with 300+ yards passing: 5 (Oct 4 to November 1, 2015)
Lookin back over these stats and I noticed you didn't post his career int stat. I know he's over 140 ish.