Rivers...Chokers part ways

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gill Man

Inaugural SAN DIEGO Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Tyrod is an upgrade over Spaz
Well in his only post season appearance as a starter his QBR is 44. In his seasons with BUF he pretty much averaged a QBR of 89 and made some crucial picks that lost games. He was benched for Nathan Peterman in the famous game that gave a win to the chugs which helped them to make the playoffs as a wild card. So yeah, if you want him to help the chugs by all means get him to another team so he can help you get back to the playoffs . IMO the move to get rid of the guy you call "Spaz" simply to have a mobile QB is frought with peril for the chugs. You may be sorry what you wish for. Just sayin'. I mean I agree with you that PR wasn't gonna win anyone a Lombardi, he just wasn't. But he was given a ridiculously weak O line most of his career and terrible coaches and an incomplete team around him. But I'd agree he got himself into trouble too many times by forcing things and not having the ability to roll and throw like others extend plays. It's a classic case of having a player and not putting the correct pieces around him to allow him to fully succeed. That's on your owner and his sons. You should be bagging on them a hell of a lot more than on PR. I used to do that all the time even when I was a fan of the chugs....I hated the front office for their nonstop incompetence. They are still at it. You could save yourself a whole lot of headaches by just getting a different team to support. If you are a San Diegan it's a no brainer. Otherwise I guess some folks are married to the logo of the bolt. It's a curse man. Always has been since spanos bought and Klein decided horses were more important than a Lombardi.

Last edited:
Reactions: Harryo the K

Concudan

CPiSS (Chargers Post Season Syndrome)
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
Well in his only post season appearance as a starter his QBR is 44. In his seasons with BUF he pretty much averaged a QBR of 89 and made some crucial picks that lost games. He was benched for Nathan Peterman in the famous game that gave a win to the chugs which helped them to make the playoffs as a wild card. So yeah, if you want him to help the chugs by all means get him to another team so he can help you get back to the playoffs . IMO the move to get rid of the guy you call "Spaz" simply to have a mobile QB is frought with peril for the chugs. You may be sorry what you wish for. Just sayin'. I mean I agree with you that PR wasn't gonna win anyone a Lombardi, he just wasn't. But he was given a ridiculously weak O line most of his career and terrible coaches and an incomplete team around him. But I'd agree he got himself into trouble too many times by forcing things and not having the ability to roll and throw like others extend plays. It's a classic case of having a player and not putting the correct pieces around him to allow him to fully succeed. That's on your owner and his sons. You should be bagging on them a hell of a lot more than on PR. I used to do that all the time even when I was a fan of the chugs....I hated the front office for their nonstop incompetence. They are still at it. You could save yourself a whole lot of headaches by just getting a different team to support. If you are a San Diegan it's a no brainer. Otherwise I guess some folks are married to the logo of the bolt. It's a curse man. Always has been since spanos bought and Klein decided horses were more important than a Lombardi.
I believe Cocast was speaking of his personal opinion, not anything based on facts or stats.

Reactions: Gill Man

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
I believe Cocast was speaking of his personal opinion, not anything based on facts or stats.
My personal opinion. ......understand the common slang, (over excited), yet
harder to appreciate if you know someone who actually is uncontrollably spastic.

The difference in appreciation of the term between British and American audiences was highlighted by an incident with the golfer Tiger Woods; after losing the US Masters Tournament in 2006, he said, "I was so in control from tee to green, the best I've played for years... But as soon as I got on the green I was a spaz." His remarks were broadcast and drew no attention in America. But they were widely reported in the United Kingdom, where they caused offence and were condemned by a representative of Scope and Tanni Grey-Thompson, a prominent paralympian. On learning of the furore over his comments, Woods' representative promptly apologized.

Shortly after Weird Al Yankovic's song "Word Crimes" was released, Yankovic stated that he had been unaware that the word spastic used in the song is "considered a highly offensive slur by some people", particularly in the United Kingdom, and apologized for its presence in his lyrics.

Reactions: Concudan

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I think Dan Fouts, the MFIC, is likely correct. That vid you posted of him heaping praise on PR is pretty telling. I don't think it's JUST Dan Fouts giving spanos more grief either. I think he really feels PR still has 3-4 good years left and he's tough....I mean he played how many years without being out? He's a saavy veteran. I do believe his best move , if it becomes available, is to get himself over to Frank Reich and see what happens. He already knows the system. Indy probably puts a better team overall around him with a better chance to succeed....we'll see. I don't think the Tampa situation would be as good for PR but it's closer to his home. Will be very interesting. I'm a big PR fan again. LOL.

Hey Conc, this might end up being your chance to change out of that powder blue #17 Rivers jersey and if PR ends up with Frank Reich, get yourself a blue and white Colt Rivers #17 Jersey! That would be very cool ;)

Last edited:

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
My personal opinion. ......understand the common slang, (over excited), yet
harder to appreciate if you know someone who actually is uncontrollably spastic.

The difference in appreciation of the term between British and American audiences was highlighted by an incident with the golfer Tiger Woods; after losing the US Masters Tournament in 2006, he said, "I was so in control from tee to green, the best I've played for years... But as soon as I got on the green I was a spaz." His remarks were broadcast and drew no attention in America. But they were widely reported in the United Kingdom, where they caused offence and were condemned by a representative of Scope and Tanni Grey-Thompson, a prominent paralympian. On learning of the furore over his comments, Woods' representative promptly apologized.

Shortly after Weird Al Yankovic's song "Word Crimes" was released, Yankovic stated that he had been unaware that the word spastic used in the song is "considered a highly offensive slur by some people", particularly in the United Kingdom, and apologized for its presence in his lyrics.
I know you've said it before, you have someone close in family who deals with a condition which causes spasticity of the muscles. That derrogatory term has been thrown around a lot without regard to who it might offend and that's not acceptable.......I apologize for Cocasts if he won't. He said he wouldn't use the term once before and was right back at it. Hope your relative is able to cope as much as possible and sorry for the insult that was not necessarily directed your way but sometimes words indirectly hurt where it's not intended.....no excuse for it. It's an adolescent phrase. I'm dealing with spasms in multiple muscles from a toxicity and it's debilitating and I'm sure not NEAR as severe as your relative. But I fully sympathize with your relative's plight.....disability is heartbreaking and life changing.
Hey Cocasts, man up and apologize, correct the slight to those who are suffering, and let's try to avoid that term around here ok? Thanks in advance.

Concudan

CPiSS (Chargers Post Season Syndrome)
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
I know you've said it before, you have someone close in family who deals with a condition which causes spasticity of the muscles. That derrogatory term has been thrown around a lot without regard to who it might offend and that's not acceptable.......I apologize for Cocasts if he won't. He said he wouldn't use the term once before and was right back at it. Hope your relative is able to cope as much as possible and sorry for the insult that was not necessarily directed your way but sometimes words indirectly hurt where it's not intended.....no excuse for it. It's an adolescent phrase. I'm dealing with spasms in multiple muscles from a toxicity and it's debilitating and I'm sure not NEAR as severe as your relative. But I fully sympathize with your relative's plight.....disability is heartbreaking and life changing.
Hey Cocasts, man up and apologize, correct the slight to those who are suffering, and let's try to avoid that term around here ok? Thanks in advance.
This folks is why he was begged to be a moderator....

I hope you feel better Gilly!

Respectfully that opinionated guy who still..... liiiiiikes?.... the Chargers

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Thanks, Gilly. Person was my late sister, severely mentally retard. Cognitive to only attention span of a two year old. Lived to age 21 in state hospital in Costa Mesa. I hold no grief to Cocasts as it is also a slang term, as an action...”that was a spaz move to do that”.....I've done it myself. But labeling someone as a Spaz.....well, that's stretching it. There's an old saying, you make fun of what happens to people, but you don't make fun of the people.

Okay. We now return to our regularly scheduled thread! :)

cocasts

BoltTalker
Jun 1, 2018
i‘m speaking ‘Murican!

not Danish where fart means speed, or Swedish, where slutstation is the last train stop.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Thanks, Gilly. Person was my late sister, severely mentally retard. Cognitive to only attention span of a two year old. Lived to age 21 in state hospital in Costa Mesa. I hold no grief to Cocasts as it is also a slang term, as an action...”that was a spaz move to do that”.....I've done it myself. But labeling someone as a Spaz.....well, that's stretching it. There's an old saying, you make fun of what happens to people, but you don't make fun of the people.

Okay. We now return to our regularly scheduled thread! :)
Sorry for your loss Harry. Well said above. It's a good way of putting it all in proper perspective.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
This folks is why he was begged to be a moderator....

I hope you feel better Gilly!

Respectfully that opinionated guy who still..... liiiiiikes?.... the Chargers
Thanks Conc, appreciated....I'm working on it, it's likely a long process to overcome it. I urge anyone on here to think twice about taking the antibiotic CIPRO or any flouroquinolone in the same class of drugs...only 3 of which are left on the market......Levaquin is the other commonly prescribed. The FDA black box warning doesn't cover the half of it. If you feel lucky go ahead but believe me it's like holding a revolver to your head and playing Russian roulette. Just say no. Tell your doc you want an alternative. Anyone with questions can PM me and I'll give you the lowdown. Otherwise, as Harry said, back to our regularly scheduled programming! Sorry don't want to hijack the thread....it's a good topic and is sort of one of the big offseason stories this year.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Thanks Conc, appreciated....I'm working on it, it's likely a long process to overcome it. I urge anyone on here to think twice about taking the antibiotic CIPRO or any flouroquinolone in the same class of drugs...only 3 of which are left on the market......Levaquin is the other commonly prescribed. The FDA black box warning doesn't cover the half of it. If you feel lucky go ahead but believe me it's like holding a revolver to your head and playing Russian roulette. Just say no. Tell your doc you want an alternative. Anyone with questions can PM me and I'll give you the lowdown. Otherwise, as Harry said, back to our regularly scheduled programming! Sorry don't want to hijack the thread....it's a good topic and is sort of one of the big offseason stories this year.
With most infections, my Doctor recommends Soap and water . If that fails, try scotch and water.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Harry's Medicine Cabinet:

FiftyFive

Dean Spanos is a traitor!
Nov 14, 2017
But I can't see them entering the new stadium era with a journeyman QB no one cares about.
They're already entering the (Kroenke's) new stadium era with a journeyman franchise no one cares about. Tyrod is the perfect fit!

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
Wherever these Valkyries drop me...
They're already entering the (Kroenke's) new stadium era with a journeyman franchise no one cares about. Tyrod is the perfect fit!
That's kinda my point. If you're driving a 1975 Datsun 210, with 257,553 miles on it, and rust & dents everywhere,
the only chance you have of getting Betty Sue's attention is if you put a big, bright shiny $100 hood ornament up front!

They need a shinier-than-Tyrod to distract from the fact that they gave themselves to a city...who didn't ask for, or want them...

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
“The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.
An evil soul producing holy witness
Is like a villain with a smiling cheek,
A goodly apple rotten at the heart.
O, what a goodly outside falsehood hath!”

― Bill Inky Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Reactions: Quetzalcoatl

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
“The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.
An evil soul producing holy witness
Is like a villain with a smiling cheek,
A goodly apple rotten at the heart.
O, what a goodly outside falsehood hath!”

― Bill Inky Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice
So what was Bill like? Inquiring minds want to know.

Reactions: Gill Man

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
So what was Bill like? Inquiring minds want to know.
He was a bit of show off. Like to make quick two liners and would steal your lady friend claiming to be a Duke. I lost trace of him but was glad/ not glad to know he visited.

It is reported in the The Immortal Bard (in some copies of Earth is Room Enough) a short story by Isaac Asimov.

2 professors are having a drink at a cocktail party of sorts. The physics professor, Dr. Welsh, is moderately tipsy (read: pretty drunk). He strikes up a conversation with a young English professor, Dr. Robertson.

Welsh claims to have invented a technology to allow him to bring people back from the past. He's tried Archimedes, Newton, Galileo, and possibly others. However, they couldn't adjust to life in the 20th century. So next, he brings back Shakespeare.

Shakespeare is enthusiastic, and glad to hear that humanity loves his work. (Asimov is totally not biased). To see how people treat his works now, Welsh enrolls Shakespeare in an afternoon lecture course, taught by Robertson. Welsh then has to send Shakespeare back, not due to any mechanical error. Robertson flunked Shakespeare, and Shakespeare couldn't stand the embarrassment.