Rivers...Chokers part ways

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gill Man

Inaugural SAN DIEGO Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
A fucking phone call. What a shit show of an organization
Just typical of the spanos organization treating everyone as if they are expendable and beneath them. Remember the aj smith mantra: "you are only a chugger one year at a time"? That stuff gets around the league , believe me. And the part about "When he retires we and himself are going to have a huge celebration". yeah right Telescope, sure you are. Greatest LA Charger QB of all time lmao. That's like LT was going to have a big celebration in SD for his HOF induction. Yeah right, that sure happened. Everything around the spanos organization is phony. Period.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
While I was not happy with ownership, as usual, the part I had to re-read was about the agent:

I was trying to imagine any sensible scenario in which an agent would have massive news for his client,
but not inform him until the following day. (Agent learned it after Phil's super early bedtime?)
you gotta wonder about the agent not pressuring PR to hold out 3 years ago or whenever his prior contract was up. And then again not holding out last year before the supposed 'big season' that ended up being a major dud and took out all the leverage he ever had. Dumb agent for sure. PR not exactly business smart either.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
I was trying to imagine any sensible scenario in which an agent would have massive news for his client, but not inform him until the following day...

Incorrect. Rivers thought he said, Mass news and he said, I'll go to the 10am service tomorrow.

• Haha
Reactions: Gill Man

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I was trying to imagine any sensible scenario in which an agent would have massive news for his client, but not inform him until the following day...

Incorrect. Rivers thought he said, Mass news and he said, I'll go to the 10am service tomorrow.
"no capish", mafia translation of Nun Compei (?sp)

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Nunc Coepi...Cromartie insisted it was something you do with a nun, :eek: but it actually means "now I begin (to look for a new team)..."
yeah, I remember when he started wearing the shirt, cap, and thinking it was really cool and a sign PR was rallying the troops for a potential great season and attempt to get the ring. It never really materialized into anything close to a ring unfortunately. And glad he's going to a new team, I wish him well. Usually when the spanii give up on a great player that player goes on to have a few great more years....Rodney and Jr. are the best examples. LT not so much but still he had some gas left. It will completely depend on whether he goes to a team that has a decent run game and O line and defense. With support he can still be very good. I hope Telesco is making the same type of switch, Peyton manning for Andrew Luck. I hope he gets a QB in the draft who calls in quits in a few years. Or better yet the next Ryan Leaf.

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
Wherever these Valkyries drop me...
yeah, I remember when he started wearing the shirt, cap, and thinking it was really cool and a sign PR was rallying the troops for a potential great season and attempt to get the ring. It never really materialized into anything close to a ring unfortunately. And glad he's going to a new team, I wish him well. Usually when the spanii give up on a great player that player goes on to have a few great more years....Rodney and Jr. are the best examples. LT not so much but still he had some gas left. It will completely depend on whether he goes to a team that has a decent run game and O line and defense. With support he can still be very good. I hope Telesco is making the same type of switch, Peyton manning for Andrew Luck. I hope he gets a QB in the draft who calls in quits in a few years. Or better yet the next Ryan Leaf.
I think the Colts have a pretty good line.
It will be fun to watch and see if his old body is the problem, or the LAC weak line was the problem. Or both.
Scientific method!!! Woo-hoo!! :p

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I think the Colts have a pretty good line.
It will be fun to watch and see if his old body is the problem, or the LAC weak line was the problem. Or both.
Scientific method!!! Woo-hoo!! :p
or if Andrew Luck was the problem lol

Reactions: Lance19

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I think the REAL reason the chuggers made the decision to move away from PR is something Telesco would not admit likely in deference to Philip. They see Mahomes and what a great mobile QB can do.....win a SB and they see him twice a year kick their butts. They are gonna try to get a QB as close to Mahomes as possible, which in reality is almost impossible. But they are gonna try. Even Lynn said it when he came in.....Rivers is long in the tooth and it's pretty obvious by his past statements he likes the mobile QB's.

But if you look around the league, to me there are only TWO truly special mobile QB's currently that can win a game by themselves almost, they have an X factor that is a fierce determination to win and never think they are out of the game and can more often than not rally their team at critical times even when down in a game to come back and win. Those two are Patrick Mahomes and Russell Wilson. The others are great and all but thus far are not necessarily on the level of Mahomes or Wilson, maybe they will be eventually close to those 2 but those 2 guys have the X factor that is rare.

The chuggers are mistaken if they think they can go draft the next Mahomes. Not this year they can't. Likely not in the next decade either. He's that special. Despite those like the infamous poster here who used to regularly try to minimize the impact of Mahomes, even to the laughable point of saying he wan't very good and predicted his failure, Patrick Mahomes is a very unique and special talent and we are watching greatness that only comes around maybe once a decade. Russell Wilson is in the same category. Mahomes uniqueness may partly come from the fact that he excelled in multiple sports. But he also has something upstairs that is rare...he can make quick decisions, see the entire field, it's like the game is in slow motion for him while for others it goes 90mph. The chuggers will not find a QB like that, sorry. Fouts gave PR a pretty nice compliment. I think the chuggers struggle with whoever they select for quite a while. And Fouts thinks PR has a good 3-4 years left in the tank. This move may come back to haunt the spenises. I hope it does.LOL. I know Fouts doesn't like the spanoses and that may be an underhanded way of taking a swipe at their move away from PR as well LOL. Love the MFIC.

The only other possiblity would be to give up the entire farm to try to lure Brady but that is really a stupid football decision, maybe a slightly less stupid desperate business decision. For Brady it would be career suicide. So that ain't happening IMO. They are trying to keep up with Mahomes and the Chiefs. Good luck with that. :laugh:

Last edited:

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
But the Chuggers already have the next Patrick Mahomes in Tyrod Taylor! I’m sure John-Boy believes it. I’m pretty sure Lynn does, and Telescope believes it too because John-Boy told him to.

• Haha

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Gill, if the fudeans thought they wanted to go with a mobile QB ala Mahomes (BIP) they would have drafted Lamar.

That shit show has no fucking clue
Exactly....they are bassackward......they should have made the decision when Lamar was available to them. If that guy keeps progressing as he has he will be up there with Wilson and Mahomes.....but he is sort of a unique talent all his own.....those other 2 guys are not hybrid RB/QB's....Lamar can be a RB too and a damn good one. But I'd like to see them develop him into a bigtime threat as a passer with the run as the option, and if that happens he's gonna stun the world. Way to pass on another possible generational talent FUDEANs.LMAO.

Refresh my memory, was that the draft they took the WR? What's his name? LOLOLOL. He's good but not GREAT good. wait for it, he'll come down with another back injury.

Last edited:

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
The chargers let rivers go to sabe money and Taylor will be the starting qn. They will draft a qb and claim he is the next mahomes.
It will all fall apart.

Concudan

CPiSS (Chargers Post Season Syndrome)
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
The chargers let rivers go to sabe money and Taylor will be the starting qn. They will draft a qb and claim he is the next mahomes.
It will all fall apart.
Posting from your phone. I cant type on mine either...

I am worried they will go with Tyre-fire...

Reactions: Faded Blues

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Posting from your phone. I cant type on mine either...

I am worried they will go with Tyre-fire...
Tyre-fire LMAO. Good one. Well if they do it's to bide time for whomever they draft which isn't a TERRIBLE strategy it's just not exactly promising for next year. They would probably then work in the rookie ASAP if Tyre-fire melts down. At least that gives the rookie a feeling that he's not blowing it and can't do worse than the guy that failed. Tua and Herbert could end up productive early on,,,,you just never know. But as with most , other than guys like Mahomes and Wilson, there are rookie errors that end up costing the team, almost invariably. Kids coming out of college nowdays though seem to be more up to speed on the pro sets so the learning curve is not as steep as it once was. But nevertheless the NFL is playing at an increased speed and obviously an elite level at ALL positions rather than just a few on the defense the rook is facing.

Here's a strategy I bet no one has thought of. Trade Bosa and Henry and future picks or current picks to move up to get Burrow. Bosa is gonna be gone anyway and Henry likely too. Not sure Cincy would even consider that though. Burrow is a franchise maker and Cincy needs a QB more than anything and very badly....they cannot afford to screw up at QB anymore. But as we all know Cincy is not above doing really stupid schit.

I don't know why I suggest stuff to try to help out Telescope and JohnBoy. FUDEAN. Get a real GM like me , but make sure you sell first. LOL.

Last edited:

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
Here's my (early) prediction:

Telescopo is coy...doesn't tip his hand, because only 29 of the other 31 teams know that Telescopo wants Tua Tagovailoa.

Ignoring info that Tagovailoa's hip might be dodgy, LAC make a big splash and loudly, gleefully announce:
"We got Tagovailoa, L.A....everything you always dreamed of!"
Heavy-lidded Angelenos scarcely look up from their Original Tommy's cheeseburgers...

Then they continue to get other fun, shiny objects...ignoring the O-line, per usual.
Lack of decent pass protection results in Tagovailoa taking plenty of hits in preseason
until the Jets' Leonard Williams falls hard on Tagovailoa's hip in Week 2, putting the formerly promising young QB on IR.

"Who could've seen that coming?" wonder clueless LAC masterminds...who go back to being distracted by shiny objects...

Last edited:

Pointyearedog

I only put idiots on ignore...
Aug 19, 2008
Golden Hill
QB's bring a crowd. Tyrod is a serviceable QB, but definitely not a Mahomes type of player. The rentership at the new stadium wants to bring in a big crowd, they are going to have to really impress by getting a real name QB, not a pig wearing lipstick. Not saying Tyrod is a pig, just that he is not elite.

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
QB's bring a crowd. Tyrod is a serviceable QB, but definitely not a Mahomes type of player. The rentership at the new stadium wants to bring in a big crowd, they are going to have to really impress by getting a real name QB, not a pig wearing lipstick. Not saying Tyrod is a pig, just that he is not elite.
Not to run down Tyrod...but...46 starts, for 4 teams, over 9 seasons. That's almost
the definition of "journeyman" quarterback. And he'll be 31 this coming season. :oops:

I expect that there's precisely zero people in Los Angeles thinking:
"Well, I had little interest in this unwanted 5-11 team, but, what? They've removed a HoFer for an also-ran at quarterback? Suddenly, inexplicably, I'm in!"

No, given the pressure of a big new stadium, and the difficulty of facing mostly hostile fans,
I reckon LAC management is not thinking "Yeah, the lure of Tyrod should be enough."
I expect some kind of big, showboat move. And probably one as unwise as it is glitzy & shiny.
Peter Pyrite!

Last edited:

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
Gill, if the fudeans thought they wanted to go with a mobile QB ala Mahomes (BIP) they would have drafted Lamar.

That shit show has no fucking clue
Didn't Dumb and Dumber project him as a WR, not a QB? Morons.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
I know MIami wants Tua and might move up to get him. Chuggers sit at six and take Herbert. Detroit might trade with someone else wanting Herbert.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Didn't Dumb and Dumber project him as a WR, not a QB? Morons.
Yup, the Einstein that got spoonfed at bishops high and happened to “play on the football team” is now telling the NFL what he thinks about players in the draft. The really scary thing is the so called GM Tom Costcolesco agreed :roflmao:

• Haha
Reactions: Fender57

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I know MIami wants Tua and might move up to get him. Chuggers sit at six and take Herbert. Detroit might trade with someone else wanting Herbert.

Hope the chug gets get shut out of a qb lolz. They can then take another injury prone wr.im now just shortening to chug, they don’t deserve thr more formal chugger, besides spellcheck recommended chug.

cocasts

BoltTalker
Jun 1, 2018
Herbert or Tua.....it will be one of the two.

thank god they blew Spaz out the door.

I had to laugh at “there’s only two real good mobile QB’s In the NFL”.

I guess you haven’t seen Aaron Rodgers throw on the run.....hint..it’s been his signature play his ENTIRE career.

Kyler Murray, Deshaun Watson, Dak Prescott, Lamar Jackson......they ALL we’re far better than Spaz last year.

the league has been “going mobile” for years. Andy Reid knew it and has a SB trophy. Chuggers stuck with Spaz far too long.

Concudan

CPiSS (Chargers Post Season Syndrome)
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006

I guess you haven’t seen Aaron Rodgers throw on the run.....hint..it’s been his signature play his ENTIRE career.

Kyler Murray, Deshaun Watson, Dak Prescott, Lamar Jackson......they ALL we’re far better than Spaz last year.

the league has been “going mobile” for years. Andy Reid knew it and has a SB trophy. Chuggers stuck with Spaz far too long.
Talking heads are suggesting both will be gone by the time the Chargers pick.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017

Aaron Rodgers is,if you haven't noticed, falling off from his prime. The others you mention are not in the same class as a Mahomes or Russell Wilson, YET. However, if you haven't noticed, only Mahomes and Wilson were the two that performed like veterans in their rookie seasons. You cannot say that about any of the others. Thus they are in a class of their own.Now you can retract your post.

BTW, the point is it doesn't matter which of the 2 qb's that MAY be available for the chugs, they still won't be NEAR on the level of Mahomes, who your team is trying to keep pace with for the next 2 decades LOL. So the only laughable thing for me is how you can keep supporting that dumbass organization run by a dumbass owner.:laugh::D

Last edited:

cocasts

BoltTalker
Jun 1, 2018
Talking heads are suggesting both will be gone by the time the Chargers pick.
yes, I believe that’s a real possibility. Then what? Or do the Chuggers move up?

Also, Miami could be trying to fool everyone by leaking interest in Tua so they can get Herbert.

Tua worries me with that bad hip injury. Rather have a sturdy Herbert who is also a standout academic all American. Brains are probably the most important QB asset.