Rivers...Chokers part ways

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
The L.A. Spanoses will go 0-16 next year and will set modern-day records for fewest points and least time of possession.

Fouts

Aug 17, 2007
La Jolla, CA
As for 2020, my team will be whatever team PR17 lands on! A SB win with another tean would be another nod to the #Spanoscurse. #SpanosNepotism

Reactions: Harryo the K

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
Wherever these Valkyries drop me...
As for 2020, my team will be whatever team PR17 lands on! A SB win with another team would be another nod to the #Spanoscurse. #SpanosNepotism
That's an interesting take. I do wish him well, but, as I said before,
I'm about 50-50 as to whether 2019 was just a stumble, or evidence that PR's truly done.
But it would be hilarious & fun to see him take the Colts to the Super Bowl!

I can imagine LAC genius bringing in Jameis:
"We think he has 40 INTs in him, for 2020!!" crowed failed barista, but surname champ, John Spanos

Lancer 1

Betrayed Bolt Supporter
Jul 10, 2006
That's an interesting take. I do wish him well, but, as I said before,
I'm about 50-50 as to whether 2019 was just a stumble, or evidence that PR's truly done.
But it would be hilarious & fun to see him take the Colts to the Super Bowl!

I can imagine LAC genius bringing in Jameis:
"We think he has 40 INTs in him, for 2020!!" crowed failed barista, but surname champ, John Spanos
I think it’s more likely the former, than the latter – he goes from a 9 win season (in which he starts 0-4) to a 12 win season (13 if you count the playoff win at Baltimore) and I think being without the 2 best veteran O-linemen in his left tackle Okung & center Pouncey played a big part in his lack of time under center, along with Gordon’s holdout and subsequent rust upon returning also had a role in the substandard season. Philip made his share of mistakes & bad decisions to be sure, but there were only 2 games in which the Bolts were completely pounded (Steelers & Vikings) and the rest of the losses were close, 1 score affairs until Week 17 but to be fair, 2 of our victories (Colts & Bears) should really have been losses if not for our opponents’ kicking woes.

Bottom line: I don’t think Philip has fallen off the cliff that fast and if he ends up in the right situation (like Indy) he could have another bounce-back season and show that he’s not quite done.

Reactions: Concudan

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
I think it’s more likely the former, than the latter – he goes from a 9 win season (in which he starts 0-4) to a 12 win season (13 if you count the playoff win at Baltimore) and I think being without the 2 best veteran O-linemen in his left tackle Okung & center Pouncey played a big part in his lack of time under center, along with Gordon’s holdout and subsequent rust upon returning also had a role in the substandard season. Philip made his share of mistakes & bad decisions to be sure, but there were only 2 games in which the Bolts were completely pounded (Steelers & Vikings) and the rest of the losses were close, 1 score affairs until Week 17 but to be fair, 2 of our victories (Colts & Bears) should really have been losses if not for our opponents’ kicking woes.

Bottom line: I don’t think Philip has fallen off the cliff that fast and if he ends up in the right situation (like Indy) he could have another bounce-back season and show that he’s not quite done.
Well, if he has a agent like you, that can spin that sub-Kaepernick passer rating...
someone will take a flier! :)

Concudan

CPiSS (Chargers Post Season Syndrome)
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006

PR17 made mistakes, bad decisions etc. But the 2018 season was a particularly good one for him. He seemed more focused and making better decisions. 2019... Not so much...

Lancer 1

Betrayed Bolt Supporter
Jul 10, 2006
Well, if he has a agent like you, that can spin that sub-Kaepernick passer rating...
someone will take a flier! :)
Philip Rivers doesn’t need me to sing his praises, I maintain my belief that he goes to Canton, most likely on the 1st ballot even if he never takes another snap.

Especially with the other quarterbacks who are going to be available, we’ll see how much interest Rivers generates from other teams once free agents are actually able to sign next month - until then it’s all just speculation. I think Tom Brady may get flown around, listen to offers and eat a few dinners with GMs & Owners but will inevitably return to the Patriots. I can’t see the Saints letting Drew Brees walk so just about everyone else out there will likely be younger than Philip, but less accomplished and if you’re looking for a 1-2 year rental to mentor your young franchise QB, one could do a lot worse than Rivers.

With that said, I think there are a very few teams & situations that he could currently succeed with, the Colts IMO being the best possible option. His familiarity with HC Frank Reich would mean he wouldn’t have to learn a whole new system, and playing in a climate controlled dome for at least 9 games (divisional rival Texans play in 1 too) would not only help Philip, but whatever placekicker is called upon to convert field goals to conclude some of his drives. He would probably do okay in Tampa with Bruce Arians, and that’s geographically the closest NFL team to his new “home”.

As for the other Florida teams, the Jaquars threw the Brinks truck at former SB MVP Nick Foles and that blew up in their faces, I can’t see them doing the same thing again with an even older Rivers. The Dolphins played their way into respectability, winning 3 of their last 5 so I can’t see them blowing it all up and going in a different direction at this point but if they decide to trade up and snag a young QB, they may also decide to bring in Philip (at the right price) to show him the ropes.

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
Philip Rivers doesn’t need me to sing his praises, I maintain my belief that he goes to Canton, most likely on the 1st ballot even if he never takes another snap.

Especially with the other quarterbacks who are going to be available, we’ll see how much interest Rivers generates from other teams once free agents are actually able to sign next month - until then it’s all just speculation. I think Tom Brady may get flown around, listen to offers and eat a few dinners with GMs & Owners but will inevitably return to the Patriots. I can’t see the Saints letting Drew Brees walk so just about everyone else out there will likely be younger than Philip, but less accomplished and if you’re looking for a 1-2 year rental to mentor your young franchise QB, one could do a lot worse than Rivers.

With that said, I think there are a very few teams & situations that he could currently succeed with, the Colts IMO being the best possible option. His familiarity with HC Frank Reich would mean he wouldn’t have to learn a whole new system, and playing in a climate controlled dome for at least 9 games (divisional rival Texans play in 1 too) would not only help Philip, but whatever placekicker is called upon to convert field goals to conclude some of his drives. He would probably do okay in Tampa with Bruce Arians, and that’s geographically the closest NFL team to his new “home”.

As for the other Florida teams, the Jaquars threw the Brinks truck at former SB MVP Nick Foles and that blew up in their faces, I can’t see them doing the same thing again with an even older Rivers. The Dolphins played their way into respectability, winning 3 of their last 5 so I can’t see them blowing it all up and going in a different direction at this point but if they decide to trade up and snag a young QB, they may also decide to bring in Philip (at the right price) to show him the ropes.
I agree that he probably will go to HoF, though I no longer feel he should...and I think the league will eventually realize that a new
era of healthy, un-hit 40 year old QBs is gonna mean new, stratospheric pinball stats for lots of "pretty good" but not great guys...like PR.

Of course I was just revisiting your assertion that teams passed on K because he was soooooo horrible his last year,
and of course PR was slightly worse in '19...so...um...awkward. Where's ChairCrusher to write 10,000 words to "explain" it...? :p

Reactions: Gill Man

Lancer 1

Betrayed Bolt Supporter
Jul 10, 2006
I agree that he probably will go to HoF, though I no longer feel he should...and I think the league will eventually realize that a new
era of healthy, un-hit 40 year old QBs is gonna mean new, stratospheric pinball stats for lots of "pretty good" but not great guys...like PR.

Of course I was just revisiting your assertion that teams passed on K because he was soooooo horrible his last year,
and of course PR was slightly worse in '19...so...um...awkward. Where's ChairCrusher to write 10,000 words to "explain" it...? :p
I’m sure that Kaepernick's pathetic performance in his final NFL season was a big factor in no team signing him, but I’m also sure bigger factors were his contractual demands, his political activism, coupled with diminished skills and the fact that not only did he opt out of his contract, the Ravens & Seahawks originally showed interest in him but Seattle balked when he refused to commit to cease kneeling – in other words, way too much baggage for a quarterback who would be a marginal starter at best, but more likely a backup.

As for Rivers, this past season was somewhat similar but his entire body of work (and generally better attitude) may lead to him getting the opportunity to continue his career, or it may not – if it doesn’t, he’ll walk away with no excuses, not spin fictitious tales about everyone conspiring against him.

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
I’m sure that Kaepernick's pathetic performance in his final NFL season was a big factor in no team signing him, but I’m also sure bigger factors were his contractual demands, his political activism, coupled with diminished skills and the fact that not only did he opt out of his contract, the Ravens & Seahawks originally showed interest in him but Seattle balked when he refused to commit to cease kneeling – in other words, way too much baggage for a quarterback who would be a marginal starter at best, but more likely a backup.

As for Rivers, this past season was somewhat similar but his entire body of work (and generally better attitude) may lead to him getting the opportunity to continue his career, or it may not – if it doesn’t, he’ll walk away with no excuses, not spin fictitious tales about everyone conspiring against him.
Kaep's Final Season > Rivers' Final season
But Kaep's peaceful protest of disproportionate police killing of young blacks by police vs. Rivers' non-position = Advantage Rivers.

FiftyFive

Dean Spanos is a traitor!
Nov 14, 2017
The L.A. Spanoses will go 0-16 next year and will set modern-day records for fewest points and least time of possession.
The Deanos can't even tank right. They'll win two or three meaningless games at the end of the season to ensure they don't draft first overall. This will convince Johnny Boy that they don't need to draft a QB, and then Deano will try to nickel-and-dime whichever RB or WR they draft.

Meanwhile, Rivers will be looking like he's back in his prime again on his new team.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Fact is whether Rivers was hot or cold, he was also the factor, perhaps
The only factor, that kept the Chuggers in games for years. If you review the last 5 minutes of the Titans game, you can see the impact Rivers had, with Henry and Ekland.

I doubt the new SOFi Chuggers will be doing any 4th quarters comebacks or even failed
almost-comebacks.

• Haha
Reactions: Concudan

Concudan

CPiSS (Chargers Post Season Syndrome)
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
Doing some more crystal ball searching Harry?

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Doing some more crystal ball searching Harry?
I'm very good at it. Take the current “Chargers and Rivers mutually agree to part ways.”

Last March, it was they mutually agreed a new contract would get done.

I think the Brady talk sounds like another AJ and Johnnie Boy idea, new stadium, we know the market, other brillance.

Last edited:

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
I think the Brady talk sounds like another AJ and Johnnie Boy idea, new stadium, we know the market, other brillance.
While I still find it inconceivable :confused: that Brady would taint his amazing record, with all the taints in the LAC front office,
I think it can be argued that nothing less than the GOAT, in lightning bolts, would begin to fill all those new seats in Kroenke's palace...

The LAC owners may fear tiny crowds compared to the Rams (sharing the same stadium will magnify LAC's smaller crowds, in a way we haven't seen the last 3 years)
could be fatal to their ill-advised move...and that the only answer is to give Brady every dollar they have, and hope football fans will bail out the franchise.

Gill Man

Inaugural SAN DIEGO Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
While I still find it inconceivable :confused: that Brady would taint his amazing record, with all the taints in the LAC front office,
I think it can be argued that nothing less than the GOAT, in lightning bolts, would begin to fill all those new seats in Kroenke's palace...

The LAC owners may fear tiny crowds compared to the Rams (sharing the same stadium will magnify LAC's smaller crowds, in a way we haven't seen the last 3 years)
could be fatal to their ill-advised move...and that the only answer is to give Brady every dollar they have, and hope football fans will bail out the franchise.
really doubt Brady would make that move simply for a huge payday. He's already got endorsements up the wazoo because of his reputation. All that another contract would do is peanuts compared with what he earns the rest of his career in retirement. So HIS best option is to win another ring if possible and if that doesn't happen at least he retires as a Patriot and can claim he stayed true to the same franchise his entire career, not something most QB's end up doing......another thing setting him apart from the other HOF QB's. PLUS....can you imagine if the spenises spend all that money just to attract the guy and being unable to get any help around him??? They'd have to let guys go AND not fill the voids along the O line with any quality FA's. LOL. Brady would end up tarnishing his image by playing on a team that cannot win a Lombardi and looking like he's just playing out his career for $ instead of for a ring. Not gonna happen IMO. He'll take one look at who the OC is for the chuggers and laugh his ass off LOLOLOLOL.

Brady is such an iconic figure in Foxboro that I would not be surprised if Robert Kraft makes him some sort of offer of part ownership as future consideration in order to keep him in the fold there forever and to quash any other offer from a dumbass like spanos who would never allow a player to become an owner , let alone any other individual. Spanos has made it a point to get rid of any minority owners including Pernicano.

Last edited:

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
really doubt Brady would make that move simply for a huge payday. He's already got endorsements up the wazoo because of his reputation. All that another contract would do is peanuts compared with what he earns the rest of his career in retirement. So HIS best option is to win another ring if possible and if that doesn't happen at least he retires as a Patriot and can claim he stayed true to the same franchise his entire career, not something most QB's end up doing......another thing setting him apart from the other HOF QB's. PLUS....can you imagine if the spenises spend all that money just to attract the guy and being unable to get any help around him??? They'd have to let guys go AND not fill the voids along the O line with any quality FA's. LOL. Brady would end up tarnishing his image by playing on a team that cannot win a Lombardi and looking like he's just playing out his career for $ instead of for a ring. Not gonna happen IMO. He'll take one look at who the OC is for the chuggers and laugh his ass off LOLOLOLOL.

Brady is such an iconic figure in Foxboro that I would not be surprised if Robert Kraft makes him some sort of offer of part ownership as future consideration in order to keep him in the fold there forever and to quash any other offer from a dumbass like spanos who would never allow a player to become an owner , let alone any other individual. Spanos has made it a point to get rid of any minority owners including Pernicano.
If the LAC had gone 12-4 again, I could see it as possible (but not real likely...TB can be choosy, and the horrible LAC ownership is no secret at this point).

After 5-11 and going in the wrong direction, I just can't picture...though some reports say he's interested... :confused:

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008

I read today that Kraft wants Brady to tender offers and come back to him. Kraft will close the deal.

Gill Man

Inaugural SAN DIEGO Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
If the LAC had gone 12-4 again, I could see it as possible (but not real likely...TB can be choosy, and the horrible LAC ownership is no secret at this point).

After 5-11 and going in the wrong direction, I just can't picture...though some reports say he's interested... :confused:
all free agents are interested in any team with a need so yeah, he's interested to thee degree it gives him leverage. That's about all LA was ever used for is leverage and now that's all spanos is ever gonna be used for , leverage. who seriously would want to play for that dumster fire organization other than the most desperate free agents? :roflmao:

Reactions: Lance19

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
I read today that Kraft wants Brady to tender offers and come back to him. Kraft will close the deal.
K: What's your latest offer?

B:
The Chargers offered $300 million in small bills. Some I think were from Latin America.
Lots of foreign coins. No Weekday practices, I activate or deactivate myself, even during a game,
I can wear #17 and I can use the name Gatesy or AJ Jackoff for my dog and I can use the name Lance Alworth on my new imported boil removal tool. And I can call Johnnie boy..... My John.

K: I'll offer you $100 million. Two years. Belichick can still slap your butt
but not your face. And......a no trade contract to the Chuggers.

B: You had me at “Hello.”.

Last edited:

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Telescope explains the reasoning (well, he really doesn’t) behind the team’s decision to give Rivers the boot.

Telesco said the decision to move on from Rivers did not take place until last week, when the Chargers' brass meet for a "day-long" meeting.

Bullshit.

“I mean, he's an icon for the organization and he's done so much here. “

And that's what we do to Charger Icons.
Alworth...Seau...LT....Weddle....Rivers. If you're asking, you haven't been watching.
It's the Spanni Way.

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
While I was not happy with ownership, as usual, the part I had to re-read was about the agent:

I was trying to imagine any sensible scenario in which an agent would have massive news for his client,
but not inform him until the following day. (Agent learned it after Phil's super early bedtime?)