Ray's Irish Football Thread

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

SDRay

#GoIrish #Aztecs #SDGulls #Raiders #THFC #RipCity
Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
Jun 20, 2005
Chula Vista, CA
www.afsportsforum.com
Notre Dame Football: 2019 NFL Draft Predictions For Fighting Irish Players

https://www.onefootdown.com/2019/4/23/18511982/notre-dame-football-2019-nfl-draft-predictions-for-fighting-irish-players-jerry-tillery-dexter

It is always cool to see a player you’ve followed for 4 years achieve his dream of playing professional football. That is why I will follow the NFL draft closely this year. The Notre Dame Fighting Irish have quite a few guys who are sure to hear their name be called starting on Thursday and concluding on Saturday.
Brian Spurlock-USA TODAY Sports
Notre Dame has 5 guys that will for sure get drafted and 3 more that are on the fringe.

For this reason, I will guess that ND finishes this year with 6 players getting drafted. Let’s get into specifics.
Jerry Tillery

I think Tillery had a strong senior year. He played so many snaps and was consistent all year. Was he first round draft pick good? I’m not sure about that, but many mock drafts have him going in the first round, so I will listen to them.

Tillery- 1st round.
Julian Love

Love was arguable Notre Dame’s best defender last year. He had a great three year career and seems to be NFL ready. The lack of “NFL” size and less than elite speed are the only things that have him sliding down mock drafts.

Love- 3rd round.
Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports Miles Boykin

Boykin was not even on the NFL’s radar before the combine. He was looking at going undrafted until he wowed scouts with his speed and strength. Miles Boykin had a solid senior year but nothing that jumped off the page. Talk about stock rising, that’s Boykin.

Boykin- 4th round.
Te’Von Coney

Coney could have gone to the NFL after his junior season. He elected to come back to Notre Dame and build on what was already a good career. The athleticism is not equal to a top level NFL linebacker but this guy knows how to play football.

Coney- 4th round
Drue Tranquill

Tranquill’s projections don’t match his contributions to Notre Dame over the years — or his excellent workouts at the combine. Teams are still worried about his health despite good medical reports and and extraordinary recovery time. Drue could go as early as the 4th round and as late as the 6th.

Tranquill- 5th round
Dexter Williams

We all know the story about running backs in the NFL. They are easily replaceable and are getting drafted lower and lower. Williams had a great senior year that will prove to be the reason he gets drafted. A lot of running backs that are late round picks or even go undrafted make immediate impacts. I would roll the dice with Dexter Williams.

Williams- 6th round.
Matt Cashore-USA TODAY Sports Alex Bars

If it were not for an ACL injury this past season, Bars would be a sure fire NFL draft pick. The injury is cause for concern and could end up leaving him as an undrafted free agent. I’ll guess that one team uses a late pick to get Bars before the draft ends.

Bars- 7th round.
Just Missed the Cut

• Alize Mack- He could sneak into the 7th round but it is no guarantee. A team will give Mack a look with all his athletic ability.
  • Sam Mustipher- Centers are not as coveted as other lineman but Mustipher should be able to join a practice squad after being a 3 year starter at Notre Dame.
Tryout Potential

• Justin Yoon- He will need to improve his range as NFL kickers are now consistent from 55+ but being a 4 year starter at Notre Dame will give him a chance.
  • Tyler Newsome- Some consistency issues have held him back but I would not be surprised if one day Newsome puts it all together and is punting in the NFL.

Well, there it is, a 2019 NFL draft prediction for all the Notre Dame guys. I’m excited to see where the NFL journey goes for all of them.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Chargers...Notre Dame player...some injuries.....who could ever seen this coming?

Suspended for Fiesta Bowl as a freshman due to unspecified violation of team rules. In 2016 went on a Twitter rampage in which he indirectly suggested fired LSU coach Les Miles should replace Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly. In 2016 vs USC kicked one Trojan player in the head and stomped on another's leg. Has other loves and passions outside of football that may concern teams (I don't care). Work ethic and effort haven't always been ideal, but huge growth over past two seasons.

The Jerry Tillery that took the field in 2018 was light years beyond the player that suit up for the Irish the seasons prior, showing improvement in key areas like his pass rush plan, hand usage and pad level at the point of attack. He's not perfect, as there are a couple reps every game that he takes the worst of an exchange in the run game, but he's certainly not a liability in run defense, and his pass rush ability makes him a potential high-impact interior defensive lineman in the NFL.

Tillery's best spot will be in the B-gap of an attacking defense, but he may need a little time before he becomes an every down player. He's developed quickly over the past two years however, and should contribute in a rotation early on, especially on long and late downs.

Round Grade: 2nd

Reactions: SDRay

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Chargers...Notre Dame player...some injuries.....who could ever seen this coming?

Suspended for Fiesta Bowl as a freshman due to unspecified violation of team rules. In 2016 went on a Twitter rampage in which he indirectly suggested fired LSU coach Les Miles should replace Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly. In 2016 vs USC kicked one Trojan player in the head and stomped on another's leg. Has other loves and passions outside of football that may concern teams (I don't care). Work ethic and effort haven't always been ideal, but huge growth over past two seasons.

The Jerry Tillery that took the field in 2018 was light years beyond the player that suit up for the Irish the seasons prior, showing improvement in key areas like his pass rush plan, hand usage and pad level at the point of attack. He's not perfect, as there are a couple reps every game that he takes the worst of an exchange in the run game, but he's certainly not a liability in run defense, and his pass rush ability makes him a potential high-impact interior defensive lineman in the NFL.

Tillery's best spot will be in the B-gap of an attacking defense, but he may need a little time before he becomes an every down player. He's developed quickly over the past two years however, and should contribute in a rotation early on, especially on long and late downs.

Round Grade: 2nd
The dude is a flake sounds like. Eccentric and has interests outside football that make pros wonder if he's actually dedicated to the game of football or not. Coming off a labrum injury with surgery in his shoulder. His grades on football were all over the place with PFF rave review and others having him a 2nd rounder at best. Some say he is too inconsistent and has difficulty with the run game but was right up there with pass rushing DT's in this draft. Bolts need a major run stuffer and it sounds like this guy is not. Hope the stananoses failed and end up with a zero in this guy lolz. It sounds like he decided to put out in 2018 so he could score as high a draft spot as possible within his limitation in the draft, and once he gets his contract.....ruh roh. Hope that's the case. Hope he turns out to be the DT equivalent of the LT Big Lazy LOLZ.

SDRay

#GoIrish #Aztecs #SDGulls #Raiders #THFC #RipCity
Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
Jun 20, 2005
Chula Vista, CA
www.afsportsforum.com
Tillery is a great kid and has a high motor and good IQ. Yes he’s not much of a run stuffer but it’s not due to work ethic. Wish him well and hope he eventually ends up in another team.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Tillery is a great kid and has a high motor and good IQ. Yes he’s not much of a run stuffer but it’s not due to work ethic. Wish him well and hope he eventually ends up in another team.
I will wish him well as soon as the day he signs with another team;)

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
you KNOW the satanos were praying the DT from Clemson would slide to them and had to settle for this kid. They didn't luck out like last year. And only stupid Gruden made it possible for them to get James. If the Raiders had selected James last year they wouldn't have needed to draft a S in the first round this year, or could have paired him with the kid they took for a terrific duo at S. Gruden is nuts. I am also of the opinion the Raiders drafted too much for need and not BPA again. We'll see, I hope the guys they picked are ballers and make that team great ASAP. I just have my doubts until Gruden proves he can put together a A plus draft. BTW, when the Raiders selected all thru the first round there was the projected top 10 OT from UF still available. Not sure why that guy slid and where he went but imagine if they'd taken him this year instead of the OT from UCLA last year and taken James last year. I don't get their whole philosophy. I think the abrupt transition form McKenzie to Mayock hurt them....I bet Mayock would not have let James get away last year. Certainly he would not have taken the T from UCLA. Unless of course Gruden is overruling everyone.

Last edited:

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Wonder who the Raiders get in the 2nd round? Any ideas. The OT from UF is still available and was projected a top 10 pick. WTF. What happened and what is wrong with the guy that he wasn't taken in the 1st round????

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
<h1>Jawaan Taylor to hang around green room another&nbsp;night</h1><div data-xf-p="1"><span>Posted by Darin Gantt</span>&nbsp;on&nbsp;<span>April 26, 2019, 8:45 AM EDT</span></div>

Getty Images
Florida tackle Jawaan Taylor was thought by some to be a potential top 10 pick.
Since he didn’t go in the top 32, he’s going to hang around for another chance to walk across the stage.
According to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network, Taylor will stay in Nashville for the second round of the draft tonight.
Taylor was one of five players invited to Nashville by the league who weren’t picked last night, along with Drew Lock, Cody Ford, Greedy Williams, and D.K. Metcalf. It’s unclear if any of the rest will stay as well.
Taylor is viewed as a possible immediate starter at right tackle, and should draw early interest tonight.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
So I see Manti Te’o is a free agent. He gonna land somewhere or is he done?

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
So I see Manti Te’o is a free agent. He gonna land somewhere or is he done?
Dunno.....that guy was another way overrated 2nd rounder from Telesco. What a stupid pick. And he traded UP to try to get him LOLOLOLOL. All they had to do was see how ND got their asses handed to them by the SEC that year and how ineffective Teo was in that game. But NOOOO. He was just a mediocre average LB. He could play in the NFL but never created anything special. He'll be long forgotten way before he's ever remembered. That was almost, but not quite, as stupid as aj smith trading up to get Jacob Hester LOLOLOLOLOL. Boy that was a doozy. I remember aj smith raving about his visit to LSU and talking with Les Myles about Jacob Hester....he was sure he had found the promised player who would make him take his place in the ranks of genius GM's. Ha ha ha ha ha. What a jokester smith was once he became GM and forgot to scout properly.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Dunno.....that guy was another way overrated 2nd rounder from Telesco. What a stupid pick.
He was drafted for name recognition. Heisman runner up but was completely exposed in the National Championship game as too small, slow, and weak.

captaind

Waka waka waka
Jul 12, 2007
Tennessee
He was drafted for name recognition. Heisman runner up but was completely exposed in the National Championship game as too small, slow, and weak.
About got myself banned from the forum that day....and I was a moderator. I was mad as hell.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
So what Aztecs got drafted?
Good question. I think that was brought up on 97.3 the other aft when I was listening and there were 2 prospects that would be taken in round 5 and I think lower, but not sure. maybe you oughta start an Aztec draft thread......am sure also there will be UDFA's taken out of SDSU.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Good question. I think that was brought up on 97.3 the other aft when I was listening and there were 2 prospects that would be taken in round 5 and I think lower, but not sure. maybe you oughta start an Aztec draft thread......am sure also there will be UDFA's taken out of SDSU.
Our tight end must have gone before round 5. Dude was good.