Raiders thread

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
The Raiders of Las Vegas will never be the Raiders of Oakland.

Sure, their fan base will wear the silver and black and yes, the current ownership speaks well of the fans that are being left behind. But teams take on and appeal to, the cities and areas they're from. Oakland is tough, black, and willing to fight. Las Vegas?....not so much. More fountains, more neon, more music, more headliners at halftime. The Raiders, the pirate Raiders, the John Matuzek Raiders, the Howie Long, Snake Stabler, TE Casper Raiders.....gone and gone. Raiders colors are same, the uniforms are mostly the same, but you remove the word Oakland and it's not the same.
The Chargers of SD could of had a better chance of SB glory if the Raiders were during those years from Sin City. Where things sparkle and get lost in the dark blackness and silver fear.

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017

Sure, their fan base will wear the silver and black and yes, the current ownership speaks well of the fans that are being left behind. But teams take on and appeal to, the cities and areas they're from. Oakland is tough, black, and willing to fight. Las Vegas?....not so much. More fountains, more neon, more music, more headliners at halftime. The Raiders, the pirate Raiders, the John Matuzek Raiders, the Howie Long, Snake Stabler, TE Casper Raiders.....gone and gone. Raiders colors are same, the uniforms are mostly the same, but you remove the word Oakland and it's not the same.
The Chargers of SD could of had a better chance of SB glory if the Raiders were during those years from Sin City. Where things sparkle and get lost in the dark blackness and silver fear.
LOL.....maybe they oughta take on the Pirates of the Caribbean theme once they get to Vegas......be the west coast version of the Bucs.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008

The Raiders need to pick up this persona from Vegas:

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015

Howie Long was an L.A. Davis. If he played in Oakland at all, it would have been just before the move to L.A.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Howie Long was an L.A. Davis. If he played in Oakland at all, it would have been just before the move to L.A.
Howie Long was a second-round pick of the Oakland Raiders in the 1981 NFL Draft and the 48th player selected overall. They moved to LA in 1982. Oakland or LA.... I still thing the Las Vegas City Raiders will
not be that black or that silver.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Howie Long was a second-round pick of the Oakland Raiders in the 1981 NFL Draft and the 48th player selected overall. They moved to LA in 1982. Oakland or LA.... I still thing the Las Vegas City Raiders will
not be that black or that silver.
Vegas has a lot of losers. The Davises and their criminal-image will do fine there. It sucks for Oakland fans, but it is the truth.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I thought Jerry Rice hated the Raiders. Who was the coach he got into it with? I'm blanking on that excuse my alzheimers. maybe I'm thinking of another situation where he was not happy.
Who was that coach? Why it was our old friend Norv Turner!

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Who was that coach? Why it was our old friend Norv Turner!
LOLOL....no WONDER I couldn't remember.....I've successfully blocked that MFer out of my memory completely.:laugh: I'm trying to remember the reason Rice was so unhappy with him.....I mean norb is a vertical guy and addicted to it......I'm guessing he hated his inability to motivate the team and especially after having spent his career with a winning organization with winning coaches.

I'm a conspiracy theorist re; the Spanii and I believe they hired that ahole and then mcnorb in order to fail and make sure any vote or fan support re: a stadium in SD failed so they could head to LA. Bastids!

Reactions: ThunderHorse17

wrbanwal

Dec 27, 2005
I thought Jerry Rice hated the Raiders. Who was the coach he got into it with? I'm blanking on that excuse my alzheimers. maybe I'm thinking of another situation where he was not happy.
once a raider always a raider

wrbanwal

Dec 27, 2005
LOLOL....no WONDER I couldn't remember.....I've successfully blocked that MFer out of my memory completely.:laugh: I'm trying to remember the reason Rice was so unhappy with him.....I mean norb is a vertical guy and addicted to it......I'm guessing he hated his inability to motivate the team and especially after having spent his career with a winning organization with winning coaches.

I'm a conspiracy theorist re; the Spanii and I believe they hired that ahole and then mcnorb in order to fail and make sure any vote or fan support re: a stadium in SD failed so they could head to LA. Bastids!
truer words

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008

Jerry Rice was unhappy with him because he is similar to 99% of the average football fans in knowing what a huge fraud he is.

SDRay

FU Spanos and Dundon
Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
Jun 20, 2005
Chula Vista, CA
www.afsportsforum.com
3 players the Raiders could trade for before the 2019 season

Before every season, there are a few trades that are made to fill out the roster before the first game kicks off. This year, the Raiders are a team that is interested in acquiring talent instead of giving it away.

If the Raiders are interested in making a few moves during training camp or before the first week of the season, who might they be interested in? What positions could they target? Here are three players the Raiders could trade for before the new season begins.
TE Jimmy Graham, Green Bay Packers
Heading into training camp, all eyes will be on former wide receiver Darren Waller as he tries to prove to the coaching staff that he can be a starting tight end in the NFL. While he certainly has all the athleticism to dominate at the position, he is still a very raw prospect.
If Waller doesn’t pan out, the Raiders could look to bring in a veteran receiving tight end to fill that spot. One player the team could target is Graham. He is a clunky fit in Matt LaFluer’s new offense and considering the team selected Jace Sternerber, his time in Green Bay is quickly coming to an end.
While Graham wouldn’t be a long-term answer in Oakland, he would be the best tight end on the roster. Don’t be surprised if Graham is on the move sometime before the season.

CB Jimmy Smith, Baltimore Ravens

Evan Habeeb-USA TODAY Sports

The Raiders have done a solid job at upgrading their cornerback position over the last two seasons, adding slot cornerback Lamarcus Joyner and selecting Trayvon Mullen in the second round. However, the team could still be interested in finding another outside cornerback while Mullen gets up to speed.
One player that could be moved is Jimmy Smith of the Baltimore Ravens. Once again, the Ravens are stacked at cornerback and Smith hasn’t been the most reliable player in the league. However, when he is healthy and on the field, there are few cornerbacks better in the league.
Considering the assets the Raiders still have at their disposal, gambling on a talent like Smith wouldn’t be the worst move in the world. Look for Oakland to continue to try to upgrade the secondary before the season.

WR Allen Hurns, Dallas Cowboys

Shane Roper-USA TODAY Sports

Oakland has done an excellent job of adding talent to the wide receiver position, and it appears the top three are set with Antonio Brown, Tyrell Williams, and Hunter Renfrow. But could the Raiders look to find another veteran receiver to add to the unit? Potentially.
They are lacking a receiver that is willing to all of the dirty work on offense, including blocking, making contested catches in the middle of the field, etc. A player who excels in that role and could be available is Allen Hurns of the Dallas Cowboys.
Hurns likely wouldn’t take more than a conditional late-round pick to be acquired, but he could make a significant impact as a No. 3 or No. 4 receiver. He is the perfect player to pair with Brown and Williams given his toughness and high character. If Oakland wants to add another proven veteran to their roster, Hurns wouldn’t be a bad player to target.

SDRay

FU Spanos and Dundon
Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
Jun 20, 2005
Chula Vista, CA
www.afsportsforum.com
WR Tyrell Williams impressing at Raiders mini-camp practices

All eyes have been on newly-acquired wide receiver Antonio Brown during the Raiders’ mini-camp practices and for a good reason. Brown is arguably the best receiver of the decade, but he was as acquired for only two mid-round picks due to his falling out in Pittsburgh.
However, there is another receiver in Oakland who is garnering attention this offseason; Tyrell Williams. After the team traded for Brown, the Raiders wanted to add a competent counterpart who could stretch the field and create big plays for Oakland’s offense. The best receiver on the free agent market was Williams, and the Raiders paid him handsomely to play opposite of Brown.
That move is already paying off for the Raiders as Williams is exceeding expectations in Oakland. According to Raiders.com senior writer Eddie Paskal, Williams has impressed him throughout all of the team’s offseason workouts. Take a look at what Paskal had to say about the Raiders’ new No. 2 receiver:
From running routes, to going through drills and catching passes, everything that No. 16 does looks so fluid, and I really can’t wait to watch more of him throughout training camp and the preseason.
With Brown likely taking up all the attention of opposing defenses, Williams should see plenty of single coverage this season. Considering just how well he has performed this offseason, it wouldn’t be a surprise if he set career-highs across the board in Oakland. Williams could be in for a monster season in 2019.

SDRay

FU Spanos and Dundon
Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
Jun 20, 2005
Chula Vista, CA
www.afsportsforum.com
4 reasons why the Raiders were the only choice for Hard Knocks

It’s official, the Oakland Raiders are the team that’s featured in the 2019 installment of HBO’s Hard Knocks. Every year we get a list of possibilities. There hasn’t been an obvious choice like the Raiders in some time now. Back in February, Lions head coach Matt Patricia suggested the Raiders be nominated for Hard Knocks. Here’s why we always agreed with Patricia’s take:
The other teams were kind of boring
Patricia’s comment was an obvious ploy to push the show on another team. The Lions were eligible to be forced into Hard Knocks as well as the Raiders, Giants, Niners, and Redskins. At the time of this suggestion, the Raiders were kind of boring. They were playing their final season in Oakland, but they didn’t even have a venue to play in at the time. Jon Gruden had stripped the team of its young stars by trading away Khalil Mack and Amari Cooper. It was just a sad scene. The Giants with Odell Beckham Jr., and Saquon Barkley would have been more interesting. Things changed.
The Giants are boring now that Odell Beckham Jr. was traded. I can only take so much Saquon Barkley and Eli Manning. Pat Shurmur doesn’t exactly elicit excitement or set a tone that would make Hard Knocks interesting.
The Lions are just Patriots Midwest and the level of access would be limited at best. No thanks on the Redskins, I would prefer the other Gruden. The Niners would make a lot of people football nerd out, but they lack multiple personalities on their roster. The Raiders have everything.
The Raiders roster is made for the show
We would’ve seen a bunch of Gruden if it was the February version of the Raiders. Now we get a cast full of characters. Gruden, Antonio Brown, Vontaze Burfict, Derek Carr — who only becomes interesting because we get to see his relationship with Brown either start to build or never start — Trent Brown, Trent Brown’s massive contract, a few first-round rookies, Derek Carr trying to corral all his wide receivers, and Mark Davis. The Mark Davis factor really puts it over the top.

A tribute to Oakland
Not only do we get a cast of characters, but this is an amazing way to end the Raiders time in Oakland. HBO can encapsulate what a team in transition looks like. We get one last dedication to the fans of the Black Hole before the season even starts. Well, unless the new stadium in Las Vegas gets delayed and the Raiders stay another season in Oakland, but let’s try to catch lightning in a bottle.
It was an obvious decision
The NFL and HBO gave us the Raiders on Hard Knocks. We wouldn’t accept anything less. I want to see Antonio Brown’s antics and I’ll even accept some obvious positive PR to rebuild his image. HBO is the perfect place to have that happen. I want to see Vontze Burfict forget that Brown is now on his team and have a Steelers-Bengals flashback. I need to see how Derek Carr reacts to Brown asking for every target in camp and then checking down anyway. We all deserve one last chance to take in as much of the Raiders’ fans during the preseason content as possible. We need to see Mark Davis in a P.F. Chang’s.

wrbanwal

Dec 27, 2005
I think running back is the key for them this year. If Jacobs can make a difference I think they could potentially have 3 1,000 receivers. The sleeper could be JJ Nelson

Can't wait for training camp

FUDEAN

Reactions: SDRay

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
A tribute to Oakland
Not only do we get a cast of characters, but this is an amazing way to end the Raiders time in Oakland. HBO can encapsulate what a team in transition looks like. We get one last dedication to the fans of the Black Hole before the season even starts

What a load of...... :poop:
"Last dedication to the fans of the Black Hole" ? :alien:Another nod to the
showing the fan how important we care for them.

Reactions: ThunderHorse17

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
A tribute to Oakland
Not only do we get a cast of characters, but this is an amazing way to end the Raiders time in Oakland. HBO can encapsulate what a team in transition looks like. We get one last dedication to the fans of the Black Hole before the season even starts

What a load of...... :poop:
"Last dedication to the fans of the Black Hole" ? :alien:Another nod to the
showing the fan how important we care for them.
more stupid NFL hype.

SDRay

FU Spanos and Dundon
Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
Jun 20, 2005
Chula Vista, CA
www.afsportsforum.com
Raiders position-group rankings: Antonio Brown, receivers stand out

Raiders training camp is nearly upon us. We’ll start to see this team come together in Napa and throughout the preseason, and it’s a group that should be better than last year’s model.
Head coach Jon Gruden and general manager Mike Mayock made bold moves this offseason to upgrade certain areas while leaving others for future portions of what it a longer-term rebuilding project. There are team strengths and weaknesses that will be defined by action and performance, but here’s where they rank as we head into training camp. Certain areas will be relied upon, others will be accounted for as the Raiders attempt to improve upon last season’s disappointment.
1. Receivers
Projected starters: Antonio Brown, Tyrell Williams, Ryan Grant
Key reserves: Dwyane Harris, Hunter Renfrow, Keelan Doss, Marcell Ateman, J.J. Nelson
Mayock and Gruden did an excellent job overhauling a major weakness from a year ago, adding personnel that is both dynamic and reliable. It wasn’t cheap, with Brown and Williams receiving significant sums to play here. They can be a powerful duo in the pattern, with Brown a legit superstar and Williams adept capitalizing on single coverage. Grant has been productive when healthy, especially in the slot, and that top trio has depth behind it at every receiver position. Harris is a gadget player and a solid return man. Renfrow has received good early reviews and Doss has potential. The last one or two roster spots in the team’s deepest, strongest position group will be highly competitive.
2. Defensive backs
Projected starters: Gareon Conley, Lamarcus Joyner, Daryl Worley, Karl Joseph, Johnathan Abram
Key reserves: Nevin Lawson, Trayvon Mullen, Isaiah Johnson, Eric Harris, Curtis Riley, Nike Nelson
Joyner’s signing and the Abram draft pick brought this secondary together, with a strong back end. Joyner’s the lynchpin, capable of being a top-flight slot cornerback and stands as the team’s best free safety when called upon to play there. He adds leadership to the back end, with Conley an anchor on one outside cornerback spot. Worley seems set for a career year and Abram's fitting right in as a starter. He has the talent and leadership to be a plug-and-play rookie. Joseph will be supremely motivated after not receiving his fifth-year option, adding aggressive play to a complete secondary with hard hitters and smart cover men.
Position coach Jim O’Neil is a passionate leader who should get the best from this defensive strength.
3. Offensive line
Projected starters: Kolton Miller, Richie Incognito, Rodney Hudson, Gabe Jackson, Trent Brown
Key reserves: Brandon Parker, Denzelle Good, Jordan Devey, Denver Kirkland, David Sharpe
The Raiders spent big trying to get their offensive line right. They gave Brown a record deal to play right tackle and used a first-round pick to anchor Miller on the left. Miller struggled through injury last season, but has gained tons of lean mass and looks primed for vast improvement in Year 2. The interior is solid, with Incognito merging right in with the starting unit. Good is available should Incognito falter or start the season suspended after some off-field incidents last year.
Hudson might be the NFL’s best center, and Jackson's awesome when healthy. Devey provides depth and Parker’s a solid swing tackle option. The line should find old form after a down year where Derek Carr spent significant time on the run.
4. Quarterbacks
Projected starters: Derek Carr
Key reserves: Mike Glennon, Nathan Peterman
Carr took heavy flak this offseason for not realizing his potential for two straight seasons, with rampant speculation the Raiders would take a first-round quarterback. That didn’t happen and was never the plan.
Carr is set to start in 2019, exactly as Gruden said all offseason. The sixth-year veteran received significant help at the skill positions and along the offensive line, setting the stage for a career renaissance.
Folks forget he was a legitimate MVP candidate in 2016, before breaking his leg late in the year. He should find that form with this offense.
Glennon’s the consummate pro and an excellent backup option. Peterman remains a Gruden pet project, which could pay dividends in a trade or on the depth chart in future seasons.
5. Running backs
Projected starters: Josh Jacobs
Key reserves: Jalen Richard, Doug Martin, Chris Warren III, DeAndre Washington
Josh Jacobs has formally signed his rookie contract, as if that was in serious doubt, and won’t miss a moment of prep to be a true feature back. If he can stay healthy, Jacobs will have an opportunity for huge numbers and major contributions. Gruden loves his versatile skill set, and the player seems ready for the heavy workload he never got at Alabama.
Richard will get touches as a third-down option who can protect the passer and is a tougher runner than you may think. Martin’s a mentor at this stage, with steady carries only coming if Jacobs gets hurt. Warren’s an X-factor here. He could be a factor or not get a roster spot. Keep an eye on him this summer.
6. Linebackers
Projected starters: Tahir Whitehead, Vontaze Burfict, Brandon Marshall
Key reserves: Marquel Lee, Nicholas Morrow, Jason Cabinda, Kyle Wilber
This group was a mess last year after it wasn’t addressed in the draft and veteran addition Derrick Johnson didn’t pan out. The Raiders are relying on well-worn veterans to turn tides, a formula that hasn’t worked well in the past. Whitehead will be a fixture as he was last year, the lone veteran among young, at times overmatched youngsters.
Burfict should make an impact on this Raiders defense but ultimately remains a wild card. He must find his previous form to stay on the field, most likely as a base defense player. We haven't seen Marshall much yet so he’s an unknown after getting hurt last year before being transitioned into a reserve role in Denver.
Experience and past excellence make him a projected starter, though Marquel Lee will push hard for the SAM linebacker spot. Marshall can also help in the middle if Burfict gets hurt early.
The group is better than 2018, with experience up top and young, developing players with significant game experience. There’s no dominant player in the group, no excellent cover man to quiet issues with running backs and tight ends. Eventually, this position group will need a high draft pick or an expensive and young-ish free agent to provide long-term stability.
7. Tight ends
Projected starters: Darren Waller
Key reserves: Derek Carrier, Foster Moreau, Luke Willson, Paul Butler
There’s optimism this group can be good in 2019 thanks to Waller’s immense talent. But, as it stands, this group was downgraded in the short term. Jared Cook was a Pro Bowl receiving tight end. Lee Smith was consistently ranked among the best blockers at his position. Both guys are now gone, with Waller and some relatively non-descript, yet versatile options behind him. This group could absolutely prove a team strength this season, but a prove-it period is required. Carrier and Moreau especially must step up as a blocker and Waller must thrive as a primary target to fill major roles on the team.
[RELATED: AB catches balls with strobe glasses in wild workout]
8. Defensive line
Projected starters: Clelin Ferrell, Maurice Hurst, Johnathan Hankins, Arden Key
Key reserves: Josh Mauro, Maxx Crosby, Justin Ellis, P.J. Hall, Eddie Vanderdoes, Benson Mayowa
The defensive line was in shambles last year, struggling against the run while failing to generate a consistent pass rush. Hurst is the only returner with more than one sack last year, meaning there’s so much improvement required to be serviceable. Ferrell and Crosby are main reinforcements, with Key expected to be far better in his second season. Even great rookie impacts and improvements from returning players still might not be enough to reach the middle of the NFL pack.
Position coach Brentson Buckner has lots of work ahead on what is considered a long-term rebuild, one that might take another offseason’s acquisitions to complete. The line should be better against the run with Ellis healthy, Hankins back and Mauro in the fold. Ferrell’s solid in that area as well, and those early-down improvements should create more obvious pass-rushing situations. Ferrell will help, but most rookie pass rushers, save an elite few, take time to find a rhythm in the NFL. His best years are likely played in Las Vegas. The defensive line is better but remains a work in progress, leaving little surprise it sits on the rankings floor right now.