Q's 2020 Cardinals Thread; Flight from the Chargers on the wings of a red bird.

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
I tried this with the Rams, never took hold. But as you point out a loss didnt matter, and a win didn't excite me as much as my San Diego Chargers. I then moved to hate watching, then lost the hate as that's no way to live week to week. Then got to choke watching, Spanos run teams excel at that. Finally, hopefully evolving to watching ONLY if there's nothing better to do.

I pretty much got to the point to not watching Sunday night, MNF, TNF. Which is huge because I was an NFL, junky esp if I can glimpse some highlights of my Bolts game, during halftime.

I am, however, curious to wathching Rivers play on the Colts.

Anyways, go Cardinals, (go back to St Louis, where you belong :D:p)
Yea. The family of Cardinals owners isn't any better than the Spanoses. Believe it or not, the Cardinals' dead owner fired Coryell in an ever dickier way than Alex Spanos did and, as you mentioned, moved the team from St. Louis, where it belonged. The son owns the Cardinals now. I don't know anything about him.

Gill Man

Inaugural SAN DIEGO Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Yea. The family of Cardinals owners isn't any better than the Spanoses. Believe it or not, the Cardinals' dead owner fired Coryell in an ever dickier way than Alex Spanos did and, as you mentioned, moved the team from St. Louis, where it belonged. The son owns the Cardinals now. I don't know anything about him.
are there any cardinal birds in AZ anyway???? Does it even make sense? Maybe they should have rebranded just like spenis should have rebranded. I'm glad though that AZ has a team as I said before. I pull for them to win in that division it's just they always seem to suck. They had a coach (I'm blanking on his name , Ido that a lot lately) who came from the Redskins, worked under Joe Gibbs and ?Coryell too, who actually had them pretty competitive, and then the dumbasses fired the guy. I could not believe that one. I'm telling you if you have a schitty owner it just will always be a crap experience as a fan. We found that out for years in SD especially with spenis. Klein was maybe half as bad as spenis. But we DID have a hell of a lot of fun taking it up the ass every year LMAO.

Concudan

CPiSS (Chargers Post Season Syndrome)
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
Remember... The NFL Cardinals started in Chicago, moved to St. Louis, then to Arizona.

Reactions: Gill Man

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
are there any cardinal birds in AZ anyway???? Does it even make sense? Maybe they should have rebranded just like spenis should have rebranded. I'm glad though that AZ has a team as I said before. I pull for them to win in that division it's just they always seem to suck. They had a coach (I'm blanking on his name , Ido that a lot lately) who came from the Redskins, worked under Joe Gibbs and ?Coryell too, who actually had them pretty competitive, and then the dumbasses fired the guy. I could not believe that one. I'm telling you if you have a schitty owner it just will always be a crap experience as a fan. We found that out for years in SD especially with spenis. Klein was maybe half as bad as spenis. But we DID have a hell of a lot of fun taking it up the ass every year LMAO.
There are desert cardinals, which could probably eff up normal cardinals. But, unless you're an altar boy, "cardinal" isn't a very intimidating nickname. There are a lot of other animals and bugs in the desert that would scare the holy crap out of Whiners, Lambs, and Squawks.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
There are desert cardinals, which could probably eff up normal cardinals. But, unless you're an altar boy, "cardinal" isn't a very intimidating nickname. There are a lot of other animals and bugs in the desert that would scare the holy crap out of Whiners, Lambs, and Squawks.
LMAO re: 'cardinal'. No doubt. And yes, desert creatures can be badass. Gila Monsters. I always liked the javelinas up in Sedona....they'd come in packs thru the night in the campground.....good idea to have a flashlight to make sure you don't run across em 'cause they also can be badass. You could always tell when they had been there the night before, they tore the hell out of the grass to root out bugs/worms, whatever. I'm really missing Sedona right now. We have to get back to RVing health and God willing. We had to sell it. Camping in some form or another, starting out backpacking, then out of the back of a car with a tent, tent trailer, trailer, RV in that order all thru life. It's a blast. Lots of great stuff to go see in this county, don't have to go outside the USA to see awesome scenery and wildlife.Pandemic probably putting a big dent in that right now......a lot of campgrounds aren't necessarily conducive to social distancing. And if the economy ends up in the tank anywhere near the last great recession or worse, the RV industry will tank right along with it. Maybe that will be the time to buy one again if the damn health will just cooperate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
LMAO re: 'cardinal'. No doubt. And yes, desert creatures can be badass. Gila Monsters. I always liked the javelinas up in Sedona....they'd come in packs thru the night in the campground.....good idea to have a flashlight to make sure you don't run across em 'cause they also can be badass. You could always tell when they had been there the night before, they tore the hell out of the grass to root out bugs/worms, whatever. I'm really missing Sedona right now. We have to get back to RVing health and God willing. We had to sell it. Camping in some form or another, starting out backpacking, then out of the back of a car with a tent, tent trailer, trailer, RV in that order all thru life. It's a blast. Lots of great stuff to go see in this county, don't have to go outside the USA to see awesome scenery and wildlife.Pandemic probably putting a big dent in that right now......a lot of campgrounds aren't necessarily conducive to social distancing. And if the economy ends up in the tank anywhere near the last great recession or worse, the RV industry will tank right along with it. Maybe that will be the time to buy one again if the damn health will just cooperate.
Look up "vinegaroon."

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
damn, 'whip scorpion'. sprays vinegar. can have a painful bite. You ever seen one? You ever get up to Sedona?Seems like that would be a natural for you, hang out in the red rocks and let the vortexes and the weed dotheir thing.I think you told me you head up into the mountains east of Phoenix.....those the "superstitions"? Hear that is incredible too. There's also the White Mountain Indian Reservation....up east of Sedona. streams inthere and that's where there was a famous supposed UFO incident with alien abduction. Awesome. I just like AZ......we may end up moving over there at some point....would probably want some elevation though. Even Sedona can get hot in the summer....but they do get some monsoons in the afternoons coming down from Flag.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Sedona is great. Yes - God built it for people on drugs.

Payson is where I usually go. It is close to Phoenix and a lot cooler. It has a landbridge made up of some weird rock, a canyon rim with insane star-gazing spots, and nice little water falls/streams.

The Superstition Mountains are just a'ight. They are pretty much a death trap for people who think they are better hikers than they are. I am aware of my non-skills and stay away. Nearby, in the spring, when there isn't a pandemic, there is a big Renaissance festival. It is good for walking around outside with alcohol while looking at a bunch of costumed freaks. Think of a drunken, yet somehow family-friendly Comic Con with more dirt and flutes and better-looking nerds.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Ok, I accidentally turned my phone to landscape mode and now I can see the sig files. Looking sharp Conc! I like Gilly’s.

Reactions: Gill Man

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Ok, I accidentally turned my phone to landscape mode and now I can see the sig files. Looking sharp Conc! I like Gilly’s.
you gotta get on board man. Conc is the bomb at designing....it's in his DNA/training.....tell him what you want, pretty sure he'll be willing andable to come up another piece of art. I told him he needs to put is signature on em LOL.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Sedona is great. Yes - God built it for people on drugs.

Payson is where I usually go. It is close to Phoenix and a lot cooler. It has a landbridge made up of some weird rock, a canyon rim with insane star-gazing spots, and nice little water falls/streams.

The Superstition Mountains are just a'ight. They are pretty much a death trap for people who think they are better hikers than they are. I am aware of my non-skills and stay away. Nearby, in the spring, when there isn't a pandemic, there is a big Renaissance festival. It is good for walking around outside with alcohol while looking at a bunch of costumed freaks. Think of a drunken, yet somehow family-friendly Comic Con with more dirt and flutes and better-looking nerds.
yeah I've heard about Payson, south east of Sedona in the pines, lots of equestrian stuff there too. Sedona is great because you can drive like 30-45 min and be in totally different terrain, eg. just head up Oak Creek Cyn all the way to Flag.....head west on 89A to Cottonwood, Clarkdale, Jerome. Head south to Verde Valley. Head south west, Page Springs, Cornville. Its outstanding. Used to ride my motorcycle over there....hard to beat for that too....great memories and want to revive them asap.....it's been 2 years now.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
I was gonna say this too. They’re actually the oldest franchise, started in 1898 in Chicago. Harry, what can you tell us about their first year, any players you saw that was special?
They held their first practice outside Saint Mary’s. “We’re talking about being called the
Baby Brawlers .....
The players thought and said, “We was the Racine Normals...then our maroon uniforms were made fun of....said they were cardinal...not maroon. So we calls ourselves the Racine Street Cardinals.”

But History does repeat itself.

The original Racine Street Cardinals team disbanded in 1906 mostly for lack of local competition. A professional team under the same name formed in 1913, claiming the previous team as part of their history. As was the case for most professional football teams in 1918, the team was forced to suspend operations for a second time due to World War I and the outbreak of the Spanish flu pandemic. They resumed operations later in the year (one of the few teams to play that year), and have since operated continuously.

Fouts

Aug 17, 2007
La Jolla, CA
To be fair if I lived in AZ, or another city or state with a team that represents entire state, I'd root for them. I kinda went for the Rams as they were the Chokers competition in smelLA. (And had a fun team) The NFL put me off, so if I did move somewhere with a team it would be nice to uave a rooting interest, and not have to go all in. The only way I get back to all in, is if the Chargers return without any Spanos'. Maybe......

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
They held their first practice outside Saint Mary’s. “We’re talking about being called the
Baby Brawlers .....
The players thought and said, “We was the Racine Normals...then our maroon uniforms were made fun of....said they were cardinal...not maroon. So we calls ourselves the Racine Street Cardinals.”

But History does repeat itself.

The original Racine Street Cardinals team disbanded in 1906 mostly for lack of local competition. A professional team under the same name formed in 1913, claiming the previous team as part of their history. As was the case for most professional football teams in 1918, the team was forced to suspend operations for a second time due to World War I and the outbreak of the Spanish flu pandemic. They resumed operations later in the year (one of the few teams to play that year), and have since operated continuously.
Brilliant. Bravo.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
yeah cool history on the Cardinals Harry.....thanks for that! :tup:

ThunderHorse17

Lone Wolf
Apr 10, 2010
Missouri
I was gonna say this too. They’re actually the oldest franchise, started in 1898 in Chicago. Harry, what can you tell us about their first year, any players you saw that was special?
AL Capone was a Co-founder back then.

Talk about one of the worst owner in sports history.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Child prodigy! At barely 1 year old he started his career in corruption by cofounding what would be the NFL.
You couldn't agrue with Al's motivation ability.

“You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.”

Reactions: Fender57

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
You couldn't agrue with Al's motivation ability.

“You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.”
cement shoes were handy too......I remember back then meeting many individuals in my hangout who told me Al said they were gonna swim with the fishes.

Reactions: handoverfist