QB overrated

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Case study: Philly

With a backup QB, they win the Super Bowl.

With a starting QB, they suck ass.

That backup QB who was there when they won the Super Bowl now is on a new team that sucks with said backup QB.

How is this possible? I will tell you how it is possible. Teams that block and tackle well are good. Teams that don't do those things suck. If you don't believe me, ask Bill Belichick. That dude's team always dominates up front. Whether his QB is the alleged greatest player ever or an old washed-up dude, his team is a winner.

Ask whomever the Cardinals coaches have been over the past two seasons. Last year, the QB was so bad, even Miami didn't want him as a starter. This year, the QB is one of the better ones in the League. Both years, the Cardinals have sucked. Why? They don't block well, and they don't tackle well.

Last edited:

Old School SD Fan

View from the King's balcony!
Jun 29, 2006
To be fair, Philly went into that SB with a great gameplan and played almost flawlessly, particularly the backup QB who played the outlier game of his life.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
To be fair, Philly went into that SB with a great gameplan and played almost flawlessly, particularly the backup QB who played the outlier game of his life.
The QB had the outlier game of his life and the great game plan would have worked if the Eagles blocked like the Spanoses and tackled like the Cardinals?

wrbanwal

Dec 27, 2005
Someone should case study the fudeans. They’ve had the same qb through multiple head coaches offensive lines etc. the only common thing is the unicorn management and owner.

And they still suck

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
ooops....apologies to Harry,,,,,,,I was trying to make your photo viewable but it went poof! lolz. Post that one again Harry, it was too good to be unreadable. Try just dragging the photo on to the image box. If that turns out the same way I'll fix it again lolz.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
ooops....apologies to Harry,,,,,,,I was trying to make your photo viewable but it went poof! lolz. Post that one again Harry, it was too good to be unreadable. Try just dragging the photo on to the image box. If that turns out the same way I'll fix it again lolz.
Try again....buried within wrbanwal reply now. Thanks...you can drag an image to reply vs attaching it? Will try later times

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Try again....buried within wrbanwal reply now. Thanks...you can drag an image to reply vs attaching it? Will try later times
yup for some reason I can't get it unburied from wrbanwal reply either. Must be the Michigan bad water in Flint...is he drinking that stuff still?????

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
try deleting your message. Then quote Walt again and make sure your cursor is down BELOW his last QUOTE bracket. Then hit the picture icon just to the left of the smilie icon and a box will drop down. Drag your image from wherever right into that box a voila! Give that a try.[/QUOTE]

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Well at least you got your image up there anyways! lolz...it's not with that Michigander's quote but what the hell, I'd stay as far away from that Flint water as possible too:roflmao: ( If you want to be obsessive compulsive you can delete your two posts and try as I mentioned above, hell if nothing else it gives you practice in dragging over an image!)

cocasts

BoltTalker
Jun 1, 2018
The QB had the outlier game of his life and the great game plan would have worked if the Eagles blocked like the Spanoses and tackled like the Cardinals?
Has Brady ever thrown 8 interceptions in three critical games that decided the season like Spazz did?

Don’t blame the defense. They kept the Chargers in every game Rivers ultimately spazzed away.

I made the case on the SDUT forum 3 years ago that Rivers should be traded or the franchise would suffer due to his spazz attacks.

finally, other fans are coming around....just like they did with my observations of BIP, the Big Lazy, and Feettoobig

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Has Brady ever thrown 8 interceptions in three critical games that decided the season like Spazz did?

Don’t blame the defense. They kept the Chargers in every game Rivers ultimately spazzed away.

I made the case on the SDUT forum 3 years ago that Rivers should be traded or the franchise would suffer due to his spazz attacks.

finally, other fans are coming around....just like they did with my observations of BIP, the Big Lazy, and Feettoobig
Feettoobig? Is that Fluker? He sucked with the spanii naturally.....now he's an integral part of the Seahawk O line , a starter. I'd put at the top of your list the owner and the GM's he hires and the coaches he hires and their hires for position coach. They've all sucked over the years at both coaching and player evaluation, except for maybe Boss Ross and Marty. Other than that total losers. Fluker is doing just fine in SEA....a road grader and if you watch he's part of the reason Carson and Penny are running so well. Bottom line: the spanii have never and will never hire a HC with half the ability of a Pete Carroll because they are too damn cheap. And even if they DID have the money, they'd shy away from having their ego's bruised by a coach who can tell them to go to hell they don't know what they are doing.

wrbanwal

Dec 27, 2005

Weren’t you also the one that pointed out the linebacker with small hands??? Larry English? TRex references???

Good times lol

cocasts

BoltTalker
Jun 1, 2018
Feettoobig? Is that Fluker? He sucked with the spanii naturally.....now he's an integral part of the Seahawk O line , a starter. I'd put at the top of your list the owner and the GM's he hires and the coaches he hires and their hires for position coach. They've all sucked over the years at both coaching and player evaluation, except for maybe Boss Ross and Marty. Other than that total losers. Fluker is doing just fine in SEA....a road grader and if you watch he's part of the reason Carson and Penny are running so well. Bottom line: the spanii have never and will never hire a HC with half the ability of a Pete Carroll because they are too damn cheap. And even if they DID have the money, they'd shy away from having their ego's bruised by a coach who can tell them to go to hell they don't know what they are doing.
Yes....Fluker is a road grader which works for a scrambler like Wilson, who isn’t as dependent on pass blocking as Rivers.

For the Chargers, he was the worst possible choice to draft to guard Rivers.

It is another example in a long list of how stupid John Spanos is on draft day.

Reactions: Gill Man

cocasts

BoltTalker
Jun 1, 2018
Weren’t you also the one that pointed out the linebacker with small hands??? Larry English? TRex references???

Good times lol
No, that wasn’t me. I don’t think I ever criticized English. I always liked Bosa and Ingram too...and still do.

Big fan of Tranquill too. There’s a lot of Charger players I admire and complement.....and then there’s those that deserve criticism.

I think the defense has played well this season despite the injuries. Blame for this season’s shortcomings are on the offense and primarily Rivers fault, IMO. Yeah, the OL sucks, but you make adjustments and get rid of the ball quicker. Rivers can’t adapt. Play the mobile QB’s and see what you got for next year.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
That linebacker would be Melvin Gordon.
you mean Ingram. I wouldn't doubt though if John Spanos told Melvin Gordon he was looking to draft him but not as a RB but rather a LB lolz.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Yes....Fluker is a road grader which works for a scrambler like Wilson, who isn’t as dependent on pass blocking as Rivers.

For the Chargers, he was the worst possible choice to draft to guard Rivers.

That's exactly right, they cannot put 2 and 2 together...they always Eff it up, not acquiring talent that works as a team and they don't listen to the HC to figure out what will work, or if they do the HC doesn't know what the hell HE's doing. The whole organization is dysfunctional that way. It's like an audiophile stereo system. All it takes is one part that is crap and the whole thing sounds like crap. And in this case at least one component is perennially a pieice of crap and that is John Spanos and his father.....dumbasses at birth.

Reactions: cocasts

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
No, that wasn’t me. I don’t think I ever criticized English. I always liked Bosa and Ingram too...and still do.

Big fan of Tranquill too. There’s a lot of Charger players I admire and complement.....and then there’s those that deserve criticism.

I think the defense has played well this season despite the injuries. Blame for this season’s shortcomings are on the offense and primarily Rivers fault, IMO. Yeah, the OL sucks, but you make adjustments and get rid of the ball quicker. Rivers can’t adapt. Play the mobile QB’s and see what you got for next year.
When hasn't the OL sucked? Even last season it was more of the quick passing game that assisted the OL than the OL being road graters...

Rivers has lost some accuracy. Maybe like some suggest he wants out of LA. I will say, having met him very few times and being able to talk to him, he is a class guy, though his golly garsh trash talking is bugging me more and more.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017

I detect you are still pulling for that team to win. Sorry for your affliction if so. lolz.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
When hasn't the OL sucked? Even last season it was more of the quick passing game that assisted the OL than the OL being road graters...

Rivers has lost some accuracy. Maybe like some suggest he wants out of LA. I will say, having met him very few times and being able to talk to him, he is a class guy, though his golly garsh trash talking is bugging me more and more.
They DID have a good decent O line back in Marty's day.....with guys like McNeil, Deilman, Hardwick. The right side was not as strong but still functional. Those guys could run the ball at will. And also pass protected very well. After Marty left and they let norb be the HC without a clue and total ballwasher for aj smith, it was downhill for the offensive line. Never have recovered since. They had a decent run game McCoy's first year but Matthews always came up lame when it mattered most that year.

Reactions: Concudan

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
They DID have a good decent O line back in Marty's day.....with guys like McNeil, Deilman, Hardwick. The right side was not as strong but still functional. Those guys could run the ball at will. And also pass protected very well. After Marty left and they let norb be the HC without a clue and total ballwasher for aj smith, it was downhill for the offensive line. Never have recovered since. They had a decent run game McCoy's first year but Matthews always came up lame when it mattered most that year.
I sit corrected, I was thinking more recently... But yes LT had the best of everything when it came to being a RB, A run minded ball control head coach, and bruising OL, and talent...

We also had a good one under Boss Ross with a few TEs who were exceptional at blocking.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
If the Cook can't cook and yet the ingredients in other hands taste far better....
You get rid of the Cook.

Or if he's hired for life, you just add salt.

• Haha

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
IF Johnny boy is pulling all the draft strings... Then arguably he is good at finding BLING players.

But then he doesn't know shit about building a championship team, because you do that from the lines out.

Reactions: Quetzalcoatl

cocasts

BoltTalker
Jun 1, 2018
Why would Brady leave? I think Brady has enough sense to retire a Patriot and even more sense to NEVER consider working for Spanos.

Reactions: Quetzalcoatl

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
try deleting your message. Then quote Walt again and make sure your cursor is down BELOW his last QUOTE bracket. Then hit the picture icon just to the left of the smilie icon and a box will drop down. Drag your image from wherever right into that box a voila! Give that a try.
[/QUOTE]
1, have/ had cursor flashing below last [ Quote ]
2. My 'selection bar' with smiling icon, images, text.....is in gray and unavailable.
3. I usually click on attach files...open up photo library...selection photo...click done...system loads image and gives options of thumbnail or full.
4. No. 2 issue also prevents bold text, underlining, etc.