Punt/kick coverage Schottenheimer’s special concern

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

SDRay

#GoIrish #Aztecs #SDGulls #Raiders #THFC #RipCity
Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
Jun 20, 2005
Chula Vista, CA
www.afsportsforum.com
http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20060821-9999-1s21chnotes.html

Source: San Diego Union-Tribune

By Jay Posner

Kassim Osgood might have been headed to the Pro Bowl last season as the best special teams player in the AFC when he suffered a torn pectoral muscle and missed the final four games.

Osgood is healthy again this summer and, judging from comments by his head coach, he’s already in midseason form.

“In my memory,” Marty Schottenheimer said, “I can’t remember ever seeing a guy better in coverage teams than (Osgood). The guy’s the best I’ve ever seen. He’s got size and he’s got speed and it’s important to him. I mean, they can’t block the guy.”

Trumpet_Man

Feb 14, 2006
I am entirely happy with Osgood. This dude brings his "A" game every game.

He will not be a Number One or two WR but he fills the void nicely at the three or four hole.

We need unselfish players who know how to block as a WR as well and the dude is a demon. :tup:

exodus

Nov 4, 2005
I would hope that he's concerned about our st coverage...

I think everyone is.

WonderSlug

Sep 1, 2005
www.boltsplanet.com
Ride The Lightning said:
He proved himself to me last night with that 12 yard TD run. That was impressive.
Yeah, Perkins impressed last night.

Cletis Gordon seemed to regress a little. However, I think he'll make the 75 man cut, and can fully redeem himself in 'Frisco to make the final 53.

Shamrock

Jun 18, 2006
Trumpet_Man said:
I am entirely happy with Osgood. This dude brings his "A" game every game.

He will not be a Number One or two WR but he fills the void nicely at the three or four hole.

We need unselfish players who know how to block as a WR as well and the dude is a demon. :tup:
He'll make the team as a ST player, but as a WR he doesn't have enough skills to even be the #5. He has no speed for separation, and has no hops in going after the ball.

I also worry that SD gives defensive co-ordinators a freebie when Osgood is in the game on offense. I'd bet our tendency to run when he's in there is over 75%. That would lead to some of the stacked boxes we face.