Prosecutors want blood to test Foley for steroids

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

SDRay

FU Spanos and Dundon
Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
Jun 20, 2005
Chula Vista, CA
www.afsportsforum.com
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2587718

SAN DIEGO -- Prosecutors on Thursday requested a blood sample of Chargers linebacker Steve Foley on suspicion that he was using performance-enhancing drugs when he was shot and seriously wounded by an off-duty police officer.

In an affidavit for a search warrant, an investigator said Foley's blood-alcohol level was 0.233 percent when he was shot Sept. 3 outside his home, nearly three times California's legal limit of 0.08 percent.

Authorities have no evidence that Foley was using performance-enhancing drugs but want to test his blood because the linebacker has had previous run-ins with law enforcement, according to the affidavit

"His history of aggressive and even violent contact with law enforcement indicates the possibility of more than mere alcohol involvement," wrote criminal investigator Dan Nordell. "[Steroids] can cause erratic behavior in those that use them. This has been given names like 'roid rage for the uncontrollable outbursts and violence experienced by some users."

MtlBoltsFan

Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016
Jun 27, 2006
Thumper said:
Sounds like the prosecutors are reaching for anything that might save Mansker's ass. :foley53: Foley was the victim here, yet he's being treated like a criminal. Mansker needs to be strung up by the balls.
:yes: :yes: :yes:

LIGHTS-OUT

BoltTalker
Sep 3, 2006
Ya well maybe Foley should have thought about what he did and he wouldn't be in this position.....He should have learned from his mistake a couple of months ago...Alcohol can change people into becoming polar-opposite from there actual self..Foley is a prime example.

Trumpet_Man

Feb 14, 2006
Thumper said:
Sounds like the prosecutors are reaching for anything that might save Mansker's ass. :foley53: Foley was the victim here, yet he's being treated like a criminal. Mansker needs to be strung up by the balls.
Agreed.

I would use piano wire. :bolt:

PhilipRivers#1

BoltTalker
Mar 14, 2006
I thought I read an article where it said that Foley was shot in the back of the leg.

So Foley was trying to get away and the cop shot him ? :no:

Isn't that unreasonable deadly force ? :icon_shrug: :icon_huh:

boltssbbound

Jun 16, 2006
The moonwalk is an ancient and mystical fighting technique not to be trifled with.

This is turning into a freaking witch hunt. A complete violation of Foley's right to privacy. Prosecutors are even saying, "we have no proof that Foley's on steroids, but we want to test him, anyway."

No, sorry, but you are required to have proof before being issued a search warrant. Search warrants are not supposed to be used to try and slander people.

Thumper

WHS
Aug 24, 2005
www.bolttalk.com
leisure said:
No.....what happened is when Foley was struggling with the cop a drunken Foley did a high "Bruce Lee" leg kick and that is when Masker fired his weapon thus hitting Foley in the back of the leg :icon_mrgreen:
:icon_high:

Trumpet_Man

Feb 14, 2006
leisure said:
No.....what happened is when Foley was struggling with the cop a drunken Foley did a high "Bruce Lee" leg kick and that is when Masker fired his weapon thus hitting Foley in the back of the leg :icon_mrgreen:
Stop stealing my material :icon_evil:

It was a spinning back kick.

boltssbbound

Jun 16, 2006
Chispa said:
This is bullshit. :tdown:

If that warrant gets signed - that will make me sick. :glare:
I can't imagine a judge would approve that. I think this is more of a PR thing. The cops just want to say Foley and steroids in the same sentence as many times as possible. :yes:

Reactions: Electric Chair

Nomadic Bolt Fan

Jul 21, 2006
Wandering in Oregon.
Chispa said:

Edited to add: The more I think about this - the madder I get. I tell ya what - I'm gonna start doin' the bull dance in court. :foley53: :foley53: :foley53:

Gotta picture it with high heels and a skirt, though. :lol:
Should I be picturing you or Steve in that outfit? :unsure: :foley53: :icon_rofl:

RayDahayder

BoltTalker
Sep 12, 2006
Basically, all the police department has said is that Foley kept coming towards this twit officer. Did anyone hear HOW he was coming at him? Was he running, yelling, shouting, angry or just questioning? Was he calm and reaching for his wallet? If there are no neighbor witnesses, it's Foley's word against the cop's as far as how threatening he may have been. That's a wash. But the bullet holes are pretty much undeniable.

What I don't like about this precident is that any time the police are stuck, they're going to take blood samples and if you smoked some pot the night before, they'll claim you were in some sort of 'drug rage'.... even though we all know that pot would never do that to you, what the hell does a jury of moms and old grannies know about that?

It's a dangerous precident..... i'm not sure a judge would even allow it. I'm sure there are a lot of drugs out there (prescription and otherwise) that could make someone act strange. Is this then license for police to shoot them and get away with it?

I don't like this.

Thunderstruck

BoltTalker
Aug 16, 2006
Chispa said:

Edited to add: The more I think about this - the madder I get. I tell ya what - I'm gonna start doin' the bull dance in court. :foley53: :foley53: :foley53: :foley53: :foley53:

Gotta picture it with high heels and a skirt, though. :lol:
I'm trying to figure out what it is with the City of San Diego and aggressively prejudicing the jury pool. They sure are free with the information. Can't a muni be sued for libel for something like this? I mean, it's one thing to issue a warrant...it's another thing to publicize the warrant before it's even been signed...

Thunderstruck

BoltTalker
Aug 16, 2006
leisure said:
:lol:

Judges don't even look at the warrant when they are signing them....didn't you watch the "Wire" last night? :icon_shrug:
Man, that's a scary thought. But it wouldn't shock me, and the fact that it wouldn't shock me might be even scarier.

foober

BoltTalker
Aug 17, 2006
Thunderstruck said:
I'm trying to figure out what it is with the City of San Diego and aggressively prejudicing the jury pool. They sure are free with the information. Can't a muni be sued for libel for something like this? I mean, it's one thing to issue a warrant...it's another thing to publicize the warrant before it's even been signed...
Good point. The police department is very worried is what it sounds like. First they make a big headline on foleys blood alchohol level. And now mention steriods. Anything to make foley look bad in the publics eyes. Now I hope foley takes them to court and puts them all in prison. They sound like a police mafia now.

Thunderstruck

BoltTalker
Aug 16, 2006
foober said:
They sound like a police mafia now.
I don't trust any police force to be honest when it comes to shootings by police officers. It's sad, too, because everyone knows that sometimes it can't be avoided, but the fact that it's sometimes necessary shouldn't make anyone believe it's always necessary.

All I know is that whatever the police get away with today will make it easier for them to get away with tomorrow..

foober

BoltTalker
Aug 17, 2006
Thunderstruck said:
I don't trust any police force to be honest when it comes to shootings by police officers. It's sad, too, because everyone knows that sometimes it can't be avoided, but the fact that it's sometimes necessary shouldn't make anyone believe it's always necessary.

All I know is that whatever the police get away with today will make it easier for them to get away with tomorrow..
I think the police department knows they will be one of the folks foley will bring to court over this. So they're unloading all barrels(much like mankster) to try and injure foley.

The police department should have maybe just let mankster take the whole blame and paid him off some way to leave them out of it. NOw this will be drawn out in court. And if the court isn't bought off by the police department foley will cause much trouble for the police department.

I'm worried if foley can get a fair trial. Police have alot of clout with courts.

Thunderstruck

BoltTalker
Aug 16, 2006
Chispa said:
It's not the police who are looking for the warrant. It's the DA. Here's the warrant.

You know - Foley should go down for driving with a .23 BAC. It's really not okay to be out on the road when you're that high.

But chasing after his blood to get steroid testing because he was possibly mouthy and aggro with a cop is overzealous prosecution.

Please remember this stuff when you're sitting in a jury box for anybody.

:foley53:
Well, I'm probably off-base, but I very much see the DA as just an extension of the police department. To me, they all fall under the heading of "law enforcement." Maybe I've watched too much Law & Order, but I think police and DA's are very much on the same team...

Kwak

May 25, 2006
This thing is just unbelievable. Granted Foley should be charged for popping a .23. That is hammer time.

BUT, when do you get shot for a DUI? He gets 2 in the BACK of the leg, which alone contradicts the story of the rookie. If he was charging him how the fuk does he get shot in the BACK of the leg. Twice.

Now they want to pull out Roid Rage? This smells like a big old CYA time by Coronado PD.