Philip Rivers to the Bears next Year????

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Haha! I do remember a day that Norval took the team to a water park. Team building at its finest.
almost as good as the dodge ball game under Mcnorb loz. Between norb and mcnorb that span of essentially 10 years was probably the most frustrating to have to support a team with coaches who were incompetent. And I think that stuff was just what spanos wanted so the vote ultimately would fail just on that alone in addition to all the other crap he pulled like Fabiani and the attempt to extort the city with threats of moving to Carson and everywhere else along the line. So ultimately he could cry to the NFL he wasn't wanted in SD. He's a deceiver and the devil.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
So you're saying he'd be more focused on the field if instead of “Nunc Coepi,”
he'd lived by “Non Copulatie” ?
hey, you just made me realize something. Philip was all into "Nunc Coepi" and wearing the cap and shirt and all , and here I thought he was being profound and making a statement to his teamates and fans that his road to victory in the NFL was just beginning ie "Now it Begins". But he was joshing everyone,,,,,,,for him "Now it Begins" referred to foreplay :p :D

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
Wherever these Valkyries drop me...
'O9 ??? You mean the year they lost to the Jets in the first game? I don't think that team was as good as the 14-2 team in '06. They beat the Pats at home all except for a complete brain fade by McCree (plus a really stupid roughing penalty by Drayton Florence, and the WR Parker(?) who choked). But the game was WON. Norb's '09 team wasn't as good IMO plus Norb is an idiot and would easily get outcoached and fail to motivate his team. His offensive gameplan had no answer for Rex Ryan's defense. Plus wasn't that the year the team all headed to Vegas during the week off leading up to the Jets game? Way to get your team focused norb.

Your point re: Brees vs. Rivers and the events leading Smith to eject Brees are well taken. All those idiotic events conspired to lead to the change to Rivers, plus you are right Marty had his guy PR....I think he coached him in a college all star game or something like that. Marty playing Brees in a meaningless final game of the season against DEN led to the shoulder injury. Must have been fate. Am sure Brees is elated at the events that led to him going to where he could shine and get a ring and get all the glory and endorsements whilst Rivers ended up with zip other than a lot of yards passing and living in a nice city with his family.
It's close. I thought a little more highly of the '09 team...
I thought before season started that they had the best roster since the '60s.
They went 13-3 and were the hottest team entering the playoffs.
Then they just had a bad game--most memorably their Pro Bowl kicker
(most accurate in NFL history, to that point) missing
3 field goals for the only time in his career. The day was a fluke. Like McCree.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
It's close. I thought a little more highly of the '09 team...
I thought before season started that they had the best roster since the '60s.
They went 13-3 and were the hottest team entering the playoffs.
Then they just had a bad game--most memorably their Pro Bowl kicker
(most accurate in NFL history, to that point) missing
3 field goals for the only time in his career. The day was a fluke. Like McCree.
yeah another chugger fluke playoff game. IIRC that was also the day (early early am) that Philip had to bail out VJ as he was driving around around 5am or thereabouts with his stereo blaring rap music or something and he was pulled over and high. Something to that effect. Way to go again norb. Disciplinarian norb, motivator norb, hold players accountable norb. And Tweety looking like he was nauseated every time he was about to have to go in and kick a crucial FG. lolz. Geez. I was at that game with family. We left shaking our heads at another failure of the spanii and norval. That's how it always went down. The Rex Ryan D intimidated them all day long.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
No he blew his shoulder out in a gruesome play I still can recall vividly. His career was DOA at that point and he was hitting FA anyway by general impression, thus far was he's done save for the 2 teams, Miami was the only other team I beleive willing to take a chance on him after his cutting edge surgery. He was given up on because Marty was already pounding the table for his boy Rivers to get the job.

It was a no hard feelings kind of kick to the curb.
AJ Smith and Spanos wanted Rivers. If Marty wanted Rivers, he would have played him earlier. It wasn't like Marty let others make on-field decisions for him.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
AJ Smith and Spanos wanted Rivers. If Marty wanted Rivers, he would have played him earlier. It wasn't like Marty let others make on-field decisions for him.
I agree with this. Marty favored Drew. He played Drew in a meaningless game because Marty had incentives he would’ve earned with one more win. He played the guy he felt could best get him the victory. AJ wanted Rivers to play because the plan was to sign Drew and trade Rivers.

Reactions: Quetzalcoatl

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
Marty said himself that he pushed for Rivers after coaching him in the north south game or what ever college bowl it is that has NFL coaches be the all star coach.

Rivers was not ready to start right away, his first preseason game he threw 3 or 4 passes into the ground... Besides, Marty switched out QBs like they were cigarettes and he was a chain smoker... Brees, Flutie, Brees, Flutie, Brees, Rivers.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
This from Wiki:
"However, after Eli Manning indicated before the draft that he would not sign with them. Rivers was their first alternative because the Chargers head coach at the time, Marty Schottenheimer, had coached him at the Senior Bowl and he liked what he saw. The Chargers agreed to a draft day deal with the New York Giants."

HOWEVER THIS IS THE REAL STORY FROM BOLT FROM THE BLUE'S JOHN GENNARO:
"
However, A.J. Smith and Marty Schottenheimer had already started a war that would eventually lead to Marty's departure from San Diego, and a big part of that war was at the Quarterback position.
In his rookie season, Philip Rivers — though he was seen as the future franchise QB — was named the third QB on the Chargers roster behind Doug Flutie. It was seen as punishment for Rivers holding out and missing part of Training Camp. At the end of the season, in a game that was meaningless because the Chargers had already locked up their spot in the postseason, the coach decided to start Flutie (the veteran with loads of experience) over Rivers (the kid who was desperate for experience). It was becoming obvious that Marty not only didn't want to give in to his GM — who was pushing for Rivers as the future, even as Brees was succeeding — but he also did not want the fans to get excited about the 6'5" country–boy with a laser arm that was sitting on the bench. He finally relented in the second half, and the rookie went 5-for-8 and threw a TD to unknown rookie–WR Malcom Floyd.
The following year, Rivers moved up the depth chart to backup QB and was seen as such by the Head Coach. To Marty, this was not a young QB that was going to get snaps and eventually take over the reigns. Brees was his guy and he'd be damned if he was going to let the GM thrust the young QB into the lineup. Marty's stubbornness was never more evident then in Week 17 of the 2005 season.

The Chargers were in a situation similar to the one they were one year prior. The last game of the regular season was completely meaningless to them. However, this time it was meaningless because their 9-6 record had made them the odd-team-out heading into the playoffs. They would be watching postseason football at home, and all that was left to do was give the rookie QB his first start so that he could get a few snaps under his belt. Right? Wrong. Marty was not going to give Philip a chance to come out and look great against the AFC West Champion Broncosbecause Denver had very little to play for. Instead, Schottenheimer made possibly the most stubborn move of his career and decided to start Drew Brees in a meaningless game so that the fans couldn't fawn over their young, prototype QB.
It was this silly move that led us up to the crossroads of this story. Standing on his own goal-line in the first half, Drew Brees was sacked by a blitzing John Lynch.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
AND HERE IS LT COMMENTING THAT IT WAS AJ SMITH WHO COST THE BOLTS A SB RING:

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I think LT is right, but missed the mark. The REAL guy who robbed the team of a SB ring is his current employer. He couldn't decipher how to properly resolve the aj smith/marty dysfunction and fired the wrong guy. Dummy, as usual. And I'm sure a big part of that was John Butler had recommended aj smith replace himself (loyalty over reason), and also aj smith was grooming the future legendary GM Johnny Spanos, how could he let that guy go when he was his son's mentor???? Dumbass move by spanos as usual. He always puts the wrong guy in the wrong position ....thus aj smith hire, thus norb and mcnorb, thus fabiani, thus having to listen to ron wolfe to tell him what to do and ending up with mcnorb, thus appointing his sons to key positions in the organization. loser.

ThunderHorse17

Lone Wolf
Apr 10, 2010
Missouri
almost as good as the dodge ball game under Mcnorb loz. Between norb and mcnorb that span of essentially 10 years was probably the most frustrating to have to support a team with coaches who were incompetent. And I think that stuff was just what spanos wanted so the vote ultimately would fail just on that alone in addition to all the other crap he pulled like Fabiani and the attempt to extort the city with threats of moving to Carson and everywhere else along the line. So ultimately he could cry to the NFL he wasn't wanted in SD. He's a deceiver and the devil.
DING! DING! DING!

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
I think LT is right, but missed the mark. The REAL guy who robbed the team of a SB ring is his current employer. He couldn't decipher how to properly resolve the aj smith/marty dysfunction and fired the wrong guy. Dummy, as usual. And I'm sure a big part of that was John Butler had recommended aj smith replace himself (loyalty over reason), and also aj smith was grooming the future legendary GM Johnny Spanos, how could he let that guy go when he was his son's mentor???? Dumbass move by spanos as usual. He always puts the wrong guy in the wrong position ....thus aj smith hire, thus norb and mcnorb, thus fabiani, thus having to listen to ron wolfe to tell him what to do and ending up with mcnorb, thus appointing his sons to key positions in the organization. loser.
Tomlinson and Spanos are never right.

Reactions: Gill Man

ThunderHorse17

Lone Wolf
Apr 10, 2010
Missouri
I guess I remembered it wrong. I do remember Marty was in no rush to get the new kid out there. In spite of a drew who was hit and miss for seasons at a time.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I guess I remembered it wrong. I do remember Marty was in no rush to get the new kid out there. In spite of a drew who was hit and miss for seasons at a time.
yeah I forgot the details of those things.....amazing to look back at the facts. Hell I even forgot it was SD's own John Lynch (now the apparently next greatest GM at SF) who took out DB's shoulder lolz.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Marty said himself that he pushed for Rivers after coaching him in the north south game or what ever college bowl it is that has NFL coaches be the all star coach.

Rivers was not ready to start right away, his first preseason game he threw 3 or 4 passes into the ground... Besides, Marty switched out QBs like they were cigarettes and he was a chain smoker... Brees, Flutie, Brees, Flutie, Brees, Rivers.
This from Wiki:
"However, after Eli Manning indicated before the draft that he would not sign with them. Rivers was their first alternative because the Chargers head coach at the time, Marty Schottenheimer, had coached him at the Senior Bowl and he liked what he saw. The Chargers agreed to a draft day deal with the New York Giants."

HOWEVER THIS IS THE REAL STORY FROM BOLT FROM THE BLUE'S JOHN GENNARO:
"
However, A.J. Smith and Marty Schottenheimer had already started a war that would eventually lead to Marty's departure from San Diego, and a big part of that war was at the Quarterback position.
In his rookie season, Philip Rivers — though he was seen as the future franchise QB — was named the third QB on the Chargers roster behind Doug Flutie. It was seen as punishment for Rivers holding out and missing part of Training Camp. At the end of the season, in a game that was meaningless because the Chargers had already locked up their spot in the postseason, the coach decided to start Flutie (the veteran with loads of experience) over Rivers (the kid who was desperate for experience). It was becoming obvious that Marty not only didn't want to give in to his GM — who was pushing for Rivers as the future, even as Brees was succeeding — but he also did not want the fans to get excited about the 6'5" country–boy with a laser arm that was sitting on the bench. He finally relented in the second half, and the rookie went 5-for-8 and threw a TD to unknown rookie–WR Malcom Floyd.
The following year, Rivers moved up the depth chart to backup QB and was seen as such by the Head Coach. To Marty, this was not a young QB that was going to get snaps and eventually take over the reigns. Brees was his guy and he'd be damned if he was going to let the GM thrust the young QB into the lineup. Marty's stubbornness was never more evident then in Week 17 of the 2005 season.

The Chargers were in a situation similar to the one they were one year prior. The last game of the regular season was completely meaningless to them. However, this time it was meaningless because their 9-6 record had made them the odd-team-out heading into the playoffs. They would be watching postseason football at home, and all that was left to do was give the rookie QB his first start so that he could get a few snaps under his belt. Right? Wrong. Marty was not going to give Philip a chance to come out and look great against the AFC West Champion Broncosbecause Denver had very little to play for. Instead, Schottenheimer made possibly the most stubborn move of his career and decided to start Drew Brees in a meaningless game so that the fans couldn't fawn over their young, prototype QB.
It was this silly move that led us up to the crossroads of this story. Standing on his own goal-line in the first half, Drew Brees was sacked by a blitzing John Lynch.
I remember Marty gushing over Rivers at the Senior Bowl, but the very next season Drew stepped up and put a vice grip on the QB job. Marty is loyal to his vet. I remember the main reason AJ wanted to start Rivers that final game was to showcase for a trade. The team was on the verge of a championship (HA!) and it made no sense to change the QB.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
I believe all of this history belongs to the Los Angeles Chargers.
And their top NFL front office.
Same trusted name, same trusted ownership.

From a 2018 article, interview with John Spanos....

The Spanos family is notorious for its thin skin but John says it’s all good.

“For the fans that are throwing hate and directing hate at us I send nothing back but love. Love and gratitude. I have nothing but appreciation for every Charger fan. Every current and former Charger fan, it doesn’t matter to me.”

That's top-notch management.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017

“For the fans that are throwing hate and directing hate at us I send nothing back but love. Love and gratitude. I have nothing but appreciation for every Charger fan. Every current and former Charger fan, it doesn’t matter to me.”

lolz.....eff you John

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015

The John and the Spanos are both words that name things that are full of shit. A plunger is often not good enough to unclog a Spanos. It is best to use a snake.

Reactions: Harryo the K

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Interesting article. Rivers to the Bears? Will he retire? Tom Brady or Cam Newton to LA? The Chuggers doing “extensive research” on QBs the past few off seasons? (like their expert ANALysis on that great WR Lamar Jackson).

Key point in the article:

“He doesn't seem like he wants anything to do with L.A., at a time when the team is actually completing its relocation to L.A.”

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Interesting article. Rivers to the Bears? Will he retire? Tom Brady or Cam Newton to LA? The Chuggers doing “extensive research” on QBs the past few off seasons? (like their expert ANALysis on that great WR Lamar Jackson).

Key point in the article:

“He doesn't seem like he wants anything to do with L.A., at a time when the team is actually completing its relocation to L.A.”

lolz Brady to LAC??? YGBSM......that's like moving from the Penthouse to the Outhouse. Never gonna happen. If so hope he demands they pay him most of their salary cap.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
lolz Brady to LAC??? YGBSM......that's like moving from the Penthouse to the Outhouse. Never gonna happen. If so hope he demands they pay him most of their salary cap.
The whole Brady to LAC scenario is ridiculous. I can see the Spenis brain trust trying to get that prima donna Cam Newton, which would be a disastrous move for both parties.

Plus, Bosa will be gone soon, no way he sticks around for this train wreck. Wouldn’t be surprised if he forced the issue next year before the strike.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
The whole Brady to LAC scenario is ridiculous. I can see the Spenis brain trust trying to get that prima donna Cam Newton, which would be a disastrous move for both parties.

Plus, Bosa will be gone soon, no way he sticks around for this train wreck. Wouldn’t be surprised if he forced the issue next year before the strike.
If Bosa sticks around, it is a middle finger to his mom. A man who disrespects his own mom isn't a man at all.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015

Cam Newton takes an ass whipping every Sunday. He would be almost a perfect replacement for Rivers; he is used to not having protection. The only thing is he, unlike Rivers, isn't an actual superhero who can take that beating without missing games or suffering a loss in skill. Newton used to be a brilliant runner with an arm that could fire bullets while dragging a would-be sacker over his shoulder. The last time I saw him play a couple years ago, his legs looked like Dan Marino's and his arm looked like it had lost its joints. I can't imagine things have improved for him.

Last edited:

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017

Smart team....sign Bosa to multi million dollar deal in the off-season.

Non-smart team......well, who knows.....say holdout has no bearing on them or something
like we're focused on screwing up the draft right now.