Philip Rivers to the Bears next Year????

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
Wherever these Valkyries drop me...
Rivers was the best player on the Chargers for years. Maybe in the LT years, you could say different.
Rivers and Gates carried the Chargers for seasons, and other teams knew if you could somehow stop Rivers, the Chargers would fall. So now, maybe, maybe not, Rivers is physically having a bad year and is being removed from the Spanni Boys Night Out. I hope he goes somewhere better. Tampa would pay a mint.
Teams with young, shaky QBs, Goff, Wetz, would welcome Rivers. Hell, Belichick would bring him in. I can see Rivera and the Panthers dropping Newton, signing Rivers.
Maybe Tampa, etc. would.

But not until it's clear that this ugly period isn't the new PR.
15/14 TD to INT ratio is HORRIBLE for the easy passing era of 2019.
And that's overall: His most recent performances are even worse statistically.

Nope...November '19 PR is kryptonite...If I'm the Bucs, I only look at PR if he does a total 180.
They already have a sketchy QB, with almost identical '19 stats...but 13 years younger and cheaper...

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Maybe Tampa, etc. would.

Nope...November '19 PR is kryptonite...If I'm the Bucs, I only look at PR if he does a total 180.
They already have a sketchy QB, with almost identical '19 stats...but 13 years younger and cheaper...
Agree, Harry himself posted an article that thrashed River's performance against KC. The OL actually did very well in that game in pass blocking with only 2 allowed sacks. Most of it was Rivers himself who botched things, even though the HC covered for him by saying it wasn't all River's fault but he needed to take care of the ball etc. Given PR's weird throwing motion, the clock may have finally run out on him. His worst year since I think 2012 or was it 2007? Whatever, it IS horrendous. So if he doesn't pull a 180 as you say, all his leverage is gone and he's probably done. Who would sign that for next year? Even the bolts would be unlikely to continue with the old man and bring in a new potential franchise QB and let him learn the ropes as quickly as possible. They need mobility at QB, not a dinosaur who stands in the pocket and can't move around much and when he rolls out makes huge errors. He's great at reading defenses but maybe his arm and body have reached the point where he can't react fast enough or throw with enough quickness and accuracy and speed on the ball to do what he used to do. I say if the season continues to go the same way for him, he thinks on it and retires.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Maybe Tampa, etc. would.

Tampa QB Winston is making $20.9 million this year. He is UFA in 2020

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
Tampa QB Winston is making $20.9 million this year. He is UFA in 2020
I'm guessing that your point is that JW's is higher than one would suspect? If so, agreed.

What's PR's this year? 23?
(honestly, I rarely attempt to follow contracts too closely, because there are so many moving parts, fractions of signing bonuses, various incentives
like snaps taken, All-Pro recognition, etc., and--as a football fan--usually not much reason to
care much if, behind the scenes, a guy is getting 21 or 23 mil)

Still, it seems reasonable to assume that--if both have 2020 contracts--PR will
cost slightly more for a team to sign.

I think the much bigger issue is PR's apparent decline right now. I think all eyes
will be on him now to see how much he bounces back from the last couple of outings:
Are they a merely an ugly glitch...or the first solid signs of major decline?

I'm truly not sure...but the latter seems more real than it ever has before.
(but then, I'm generally only watching LAC highlights/lowlights these days, so my impressions
of PR are considerably less informed than when I watched every single snap, for decades...)

Last edited:

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
I'm guessing that your point is that JW's is higher than one would suspect? If so, agreed.

What's PR's this year? 23?
(honestly, I rarely attempt follow contracts too closely, because there are so many moving parts, fractions of signing bonuses, Pro Bowl incentives, etc.,
and--as a fan--not much reason to
care much if, behind the scenes, a guy is getting 21 or 23 mil)

And I think it reasonable to assume that--if both have 2020 contracts--PR will still demand slightly more.

I think the bigger issue is PR's apparent decline right now. I think all eyes will be on him now
to see how much he bounces back from the last couple of outings:
Are they a merely an ugly glitch...or the first solid signs of major decline?

I'm truly not sure...but the latter seems more real than it ever has before.
(but then, I'm generally only watching LAC highlights/lowlights these days, so my impressions
of PR are considerably less informed than when I watched every single snap, for decades...)
Rivers and his team haven't had a home game for a really long time. How much is that impacting his play?

Reactions: ThunderHorse17

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
Rivers and his team haven't had a home game for a really long time. How much is that impacting his play?
I think that's a very legit question
(probably more for assessing the recent past, than 2020, since that factor will probably remain if he continues to be a Charger in L.A.)

Of course, all the home/away stats are available: One could easily measure how well
he does in Carson "home" :rolleyes: games against his career performance numbers in home games...
and then compare both against the relevant corresponding away numbers.

While there's no way in hell I care enough to do that...if someone else did, I'd be interested
enough to look over the data.
I would neither be surprised if there were a significant difference, or if there weren't.

As an emotional guy, I imagine never having home games
angers him and he feels (rightly) that it's unfair...but as a conservative, "loyal" guy,
he probably feels he can't openly complain, since it could look like a shot at those who sign his checks.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
I think that's a very legit question
(probably more for assessing the recent past, than 2020, since that factor will probably remain if he continues to be a Charger in L.A.)

Of course, all the home/away stats are available: One could easily measure how well
he does in Carson "home" :rolleyes: games against his career performance numbers in home games...
and then compare both against the relevant corresponding away numbers.

While there's no way in hell I care enough to do that...if someone else did, I'd be interested
enough to look over the data.
I would neither be surprised if there were a significant difference, or if there weren't.

As an emotional guy, I imagine never having home games
angers him and he feels (rightly) that it's unfair...but as a conservative, "loyal" guy,
he probably feels he can't openly complain, since it could look like a shot at those who sign his checks.
Not only is his current "home" not a home, but, due to Spanos's ramping up of threats to move from San Diego, the last few years in our hometown weren't really home games either.
I would think always being the road team has to be demoralizing after a while. But maybe I am wrong. Either way, I don't think stats analyses would tell us anything. You know I don't care about stats, at least not in football. They tell us a lot about baseball players but not football players.

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
Not only is his current "home" not a home, but, due to Spanos's ramping up of threats to move from San Diego, the last few years in our hometown weren't really home games either.
I would think always being the road team has to be demoralizing after a while. But maybe I am wrong. Either way, I don't think stats analyses would tell us anything. You know I don't care about stats, at least not in football. They tell us a lot about baseball players but not football players.
Sometimes they do...sometimes they don't. Fans will always argue about which is which.

If a QB has 17 INTs on the road, and none in home games, there's probably a story in that stat...

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I think all of Philip's road game interceptions is telling us he misses his family :p Just think, if the guy had remained celibate he'd probably have 5 SB rings and be vying with Brady for the GOAT. :D Nun Compeio (?sp)

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
I think all of Philip's road game interceptions is telling us he misses his family :p Just think, if the guy had remained celibate he'd probably have 5 SB rings and be vying with Brady for the GOAT. :D Nun Compeio (?sp)
Still third in League in passing yards. Tells me with better protection, stronger running game, he can still produce.

And if folks think Rivers sucks, wait till the Spanni roll out their next QB.

Rivers is an ironman. Next QB will be there...not there...maybe there. The Chugger fans have been spoiled in that way.
Mahomes misses games, Wentz misses games. Rivers does not.

Hope he goes elsewhere. And I think he'll do well.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Still third in League in passing yards. Tells me with better protection, stronger running game, he can still produce.

And if folks think Rivers sucks, wait till the Spanni roll out their next QB.

Rivers is an ironman. Next QB will be there...not there...maybe there. The Chugger fans have been spoiled in that way.
Mahomes misses games, Wentz misses games. Rivers does not.

Hope he goes elsewhere. And I think he'll do well.
yes i hope they give up on him and he goes somewhere and does well and at the expense of the spanii......justice served. Of course he effed himself just as much as spanos did by buying into the owner's BS. At the minimum he should have held out at the start of this year when he actually had some leverage.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
yes i hope they give up on him and he goes somewhere and does well and at the expense of the spanii......justice served. Of course he effed himself just as much as spanos did by buying into the owner's BS. At the minimum he should have held out at the start of this year when he actually had some leverage.
Agree fully.

Reactions: Quetzalcoatl

wrbanwal

Dec 27, 2005
He’s not going anywhere. He wouldn’t even move to SmellA. If he thinks the commute to la is bad. The one from the burbs of Chitown would do him in

• Haha
Reactions: Gill Man

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
"Apple in its Maps and Weather app now shows Florida as being part of Russia"

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008

Florida? The article you linked says Crimea.

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
So you're saying he'd be more focused on the field if instead of “Nunc Coepi,”
he'd lived by “Non Copulatie” ?

ThunderHorse17

Lone Wolf
Apr 10, 2010
Missouri
Q says all of that is on Spanos. The one thing Brees did better than Rivers was to go play for a different owner.
That's not exactly true. Brees was kicked out the door and nearly got swept under the nfl collective carpet save for 2 teams.

It pains me to say that giving Drew his walking papers was probably the best thing a spAnus has ever done.

Fuck that family for as long as they think they are legit nfl team owners. The kids would be smart to sell.

Reactions: Quetzalcoatl

wrbanwal

Dec 27, 2005
That's not exactly true. Brees was kicked out the door and nearly got swept under the nfl collective carpet save for 2 teams.

It pains me to say that giving Drew his walking papers was probably the best thing a spAnus has ever done.

Fuck that family for as long as they think they are legit nfl team owners. The kids would be smart to sell.
I think they franchised him one year then made a pretty large offer the next. He walked out. I think.

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011

Drew's a great guy. I often wonder if his talent was enough to will a team in San Diego
to a Lombardi, despite the handicap of spanos.

As great as he is, he's not magic: We always think of his glorious triumph of '09 :)
but it's also true that the Saints have only got there that once. I think in all the non-2009 years,
Brees is about 5-6 in playoff games...solid...but not amazing.

Just meant for perspective: I love the guy...wish him well, and would love to see him win it all, again...

ThunderHorse17

Lone Wolf
Apr 10, 2010
Missouri
I think they franchised him one year then made a pretty large offer the next. He walked out. I think.
No he blew his shoulder out in a gruesome play I still can recall vividly. His career was DOA at that point and he was hitting FA anyway by general impression, thus far was he's done save for the 2 teams, Miami was the only other team I beleive willing to take a chance on him after his cutting edge surgery. He was given up on because Marty was already pounding the table for his boy Rivers to get the job.

It was a no hard feelings kind of kick to the curb.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015

I stand corrected.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017

Florida? The article you linked says Crimea.
So are you implying spanos should be told to move to Crimea or sell? Maybe Philip would be willing to commute from SD to Crimea! And the naming rights for the stadium would obviously go to Apple.:laugh:

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
I remember it well.
Brees looked great (passer rating 105) in '04...he looked like the answer.
But in '05 he regressed (passer rating 89)...and then the tragic injury...and uncertain recovery...

And you've got a highly paid top prospect, Rivers, younger, 100% healthy...
who's already spent two years watching & learning from Flutie & Brees...

All in all, I couldn't call that a stupid choice...
and it worked out so damned well for post-Katrina New Orleans, and Drew...
(and Chargers got 14 [or more?] seasons of injury free quarterbacking at a pretty high level...
and in '09, SHOULD have gone to the Super Bowl...)

Last edited:

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I remember it well.
Brees looked great (passer rating 105) in '04...he looked like the answer.
But in '05 he regressed (passer rating 89)...and then the tragic injury...and uncertain recovery...

And you've got a highly paid top prospect, Rivers, younger, 100% healthy...
who's already spent two years watching & learning from Flutie & Brees...

All in all, I couldn't call that a stupid choice...
and it worked out so damned well for post-Katrina New Orleans, and Drew...
(and Chargers got 14 [or more?] seasons of injury free quarterbacking at a pretty high level...
and in '09, SHOULD have gone to the Super Bowl...)
'O9 ??? You mean the year they lost to the Jets in the first game? I don't think that team was as good as the 14-2 team in '06. They beat the Pats at home all except for a complete brain fade by McCree (plus a really stupid roughing penalty by Drayton Florence, and the WR Parker(?) who choked). But the game was WON. Norb's '09 team wasn't as good IMO plus Norb is an idiot and would easily get outcoached and fail to motivate his team. His offensive gameplan had no answer for Rex Ryan's defense. Plus wasn't that the year the team all headed to Vegas during the week off leading up to the Jets game? Way to get your team focused norb.

Your point re: Brees vs. Rivers and the events leading Smith to eject Brees are well taken. All those idiotic events conspired to lead to the change to Rivers, plus you are right Marty had his guy PR....I think he coached him in a college all star game or something like that. Marty playing Brees in a meaningless final game of the season against DEN led to the shoulder injury. Must have been fate. Am sure Brees is elated at the events that led to him going to where he could shine and get a ring and get all the glory and endorsements whilst Rivers ended up with zip other than a lot of yards passing and living in a nice city with his family.

Last edited: